• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Worst Places In The World To Be A Woman

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
God is IN the THIEF...YES..He is..BUT GOD is NOT in the habit of "thieving"...That is the action of the thief on his own volition....
Same way GOD is IN the MURDERER...RAPIST...and also IN the VICTIMS..BUT HE is NOT in the "murdering business"...He doesnt RAPE...He Doesnt GET RAPED/MURDERED either !!

This is to explain the apparent contradiction some beleive in..How can GOD be in the THIEF as well as his VICTIM...one is a Bad/evil..the other is the good one..????

There are NO Contradictions...only in OUR MINDS...

The SUN shines on the Rubbish heap....and on the MILK...the suns rays do not become soiled by the rubbish..or become purer by shining on milk...its the SAME SUN and the same rays...the Rubbish heap then produces a stink..worms are born..rotten things happen....(due to the sun rays)....while the Milk becomes sterilised..by the same sun rays...

My thoughts...and apparent contradictions if any are MINE..

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Dear Ishna Ji

I am coming to this thread a bit late and have just finished reading the posts

I too am appalled by what I have read. I guess there really is no limit to the depths to which one human will sink when inflicting pain and misery on their fellow human being

Yes there is great pain and suffering in this world and it is only natural that the "why does God allow suffering" type questions will inevitably arise

For example, where is God when thousands die at once in a natural disaster?
Is that God's will?

What is this "God's Will" concept anyway?
Is there a cosmic puppet master?
Does He pull the strings when people do bad things?
Does He pull the strings when people do good things?
Does He create natural disasters?

I really don't have a definitive answer and can only share my thoughts in this regard

Personally, I don't subscribe to the Karma concept as I don't buy into the concept of collective Karma and thousands dying at once

I also don't look for Divine presence in all things good and bad
I believe we make our own decisions.

We can choose to inflict misery on others.
We can choose to live a life in accordance with spiritual/religious teachings.
WE make the choices because WE have choice

Is "God" everywhere
Yes, I think so but depends on how you look at "God"

Does "God" micro-manage the universe and control the weather and all our actions?
I think not. I think we are given the choice. We can either listen or we can ignore and do our own thing.

As for natural disasters....having been created the Creation works to laws of nature. But why do thousands die at once? I'm afraid I cannot answer that and this question has been a long-standing problem for me

So interested to hear what others think

Take care

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
AND one more rather intriguing fact...
Guru nanak ji and Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji accords WOMAN the HIGHEST status, respect and Love...YET WOMEN are the BIGGEST REASON for the proliferation of the ANTI_Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, DERAS all over PUNJAB. Women are the vast MAJORITY attendees of these FAKE Babas and their deras..taksaals....
Woemn seem to be their own "worst enemies"....Its the WOMEN who force other women to MURDER their unborn children..the dadee..granny..mother in law..elder ones..FORCE the daughter in law to ABORT..or torture the new bride..etc..
IN ISLAM its the WOMEN who are strongest advocates of burqa, veils, obeying their husbands t the extent of being slaves and sex slaves too...they accept everything the man does as Allah Ordained...

You are right, women often are their own worst enemy and I have been trying to figure out why. Yesterday I met a relative who was a follower of a baba after her husband died and she told me the story of why. When all her family had forsaken her, her husbands family had cheated her and left her with nothing to feed her children, she had nowhere else to turn ofr moral support.

In a lot of cultures women are also trained from a young age, they are brainwashed as children to know their role and funtion in life. When the outcome is not achieved that they are taught should be this induces feelings of fear and failure. There is also much social pressure to keep up appearances, avoid beatings or avoid being thrown out on the street for people in societies where the woman cannot live independently. I think there may also be an element of social distress-if a woman has been treated badly at a young age, she will repeat the bad behaviour towards someone younger to herself as an act of revenge and/or power as it is the only time she feels in control. This is the same pronciple that causes the bullied to become bullies.

Then I started thinking about why the difference between East and West. I think this is due to the changes brought about in Europe due to war. The family structures here had fallen apart and many women were left to fend for themselves so society had to change dramatically.

How to deal with it? Educate the men but also educate the women to break the brainwashing. Help women psychologically to cope and stop the same behaviours being propagated through the genetations.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Also, Gurbani says "by their actions some are drawn closer and some driven further away" (Japji last Saloka), sorry I can't cut/paste just now. How can there be near and far is God is already in, around and controlling everything?

This is the basis of the concept of free wil as far as I understand it.
* God is not a person who is sitting up there pulling the strings of puppets to make is act. God is not a person who knows everything that is going to happen as we know the train is about to pull in to the station. God as per mool mantar is not a figure but more like a force in many respects.
* Hukam for me is more like the laws of nature. Humans will not fly as our bodies are not made that why so that is why is not hukam to fly. Atrocities are still part of hukam as they are part of the natural order of things. However, it is how we deal with it that impacts us as spiritual beings.
* God is everywhere. The moving closer and further is related not to physical distance but to how much of that connection to God we feel. If you let yourself be governed by animal instincts (as the people in the article obviously are) then you are moving further away in that you lose sight of the connection and don't realise the God inside. By using compassion and empathy and doing seva, the connection to God becomes stronger as we have more control over the evils battling for our mind which pull us away. Not sure how well I've explained it.
* The people who commit murder etc have free will and have chosen to give in to greed etc. Most poeple choose to have more control and therefore won't commit these atrocities.
* Therefore we cannot blame God but human weakness is the culprit. Human weakness is part of creation but we can't have free will and a perfect world. We must all individially be responsible and choose the life we will lead.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Better yet, this ang (417) even talks about rape: http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=417&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=0&k=0

I'm going to have to read this a few times because its very difficult for me to de-personalise Waheguru when I read some of the following tuks (please refer to the ang above to put the tuks into context):

<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>ਦੂਤਾ ਨੋ ਫੁਰਮਾਇਆ ਲੈ ਚਲੇ ਪਤਿ ਗਵਾਇ
Ḏūṯā no furmā▫i▫ā lai cẖale paṯ gavā▫e.
The order was given to the soldiers, who dishonored them, and carried them away.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਜੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਦੇ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਜੇ ਭਾਵੈ ਦੇਇ ਸਜਾਇ ॥੪॥
Je ṯis bẖāvai ḏe vadi▫ā▫ī je bẖāvai ḏe▫e sajā▫e. ||4||
If it is pleasing to God's Will, He bestows greatness; if is pleases His Will, He bestows punishment. ||4||

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਅਗੋ ਦੇ ਜੇ ਚੇਤੀਐ ਤਾਂ ਕਾਇਤੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ
Ago ḏe je cẖeṯī▫ai ṯāʼn kā▫iṯ milai sajā▫e.
If someone focuses on the Lord beforehand, then why should he be punished? </td></tr></tbody></table>
---
<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr> <tr><td> ਇਕਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਏਹੋ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਬਹਿ ਬਹਿ ਰੋਵਹਿ ਦੁਖ
Iknĥā eho likẖi▫ā bahi bahi rovėh ḏukẖ.
For some, it is pre-ordained that they shall sit and cry out in pain.

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਥੀਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਿਆ ਮਾਨੁਖ ॥੭॥੧੧॥
Jo ṯis bẖāvai so thī▫ai Nānak ki▫ā mānukẖ. ||7||11||
Whatever pleases Him, comes to pass. O Nanak, what is the fate of mankind? ||7||11|| </td></tr></tbody></table>
The following is from the next ang (418) found here: http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=418&g=1&h=0&r=1&t=1&p=0&k=0

<table cellspacing="5"><tbody><tr><td>ਆਪੇ ਕਰੇ ਕਰਾਏ ਕਰਤਾ ਕਿਸ ਨੋ ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਈਐ
Āpe kare karā▫e karṯā kis no ākẖ suṇā▫ī▫ai.
The Creator Himself acts, and causes others to act. Unto whom should we complain?

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਤੇਰੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਹੋਵੈ ਕਿਸ ਥੈ ਜਾਇ ਰੂਆਈਐ
Ḏukẖ sukẖ ṯerai bẖāṇai hovai kis thai jā▫e rū▫ā▫ī▫ai.
Pleasure and pain come by Your Will; unto whom should we go and cry?

</td></tr> <tr><td> ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਚਲਾਏ ਵਿਗਸੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੭॥੧੨॥
Hukmī hukam cẖalā▫e vigsai Nānak likẖi▫ā pā▫ī▫ai. ||7||12||
The Commander issues His Command, and is pleased. O Nanak, we receive what is written in our destiny. ||7||12|| </td></tr></tbody></table>---

Now according to Macauliffe this whole section of bani is referring to Babar's invasion of Sayidipur. I get a very different interpretation if I read the angs as just stand alone Gurbani with no knowledge of the events (soldiers become the soldiers of Death, it becomes spiritual) but when I read it in the context of the historical events, then they become human soldiers in my mind. It's hard to explain. I think it's bad to read stories about how bania were composed because it clouds the true meanings I think. But I could be way off!

I can understand the rationale for the above tuks in the context of the environment of greed and decadence which Guru Nanak Dev Ji is referring to at Sayidipur. I can see how when you get too comfortable, any little bad thing is in fact a terrible, terrible thing. I can see how greed and complacency set you up for spiritual and materialistic failure.

I can fathom a "cause and effect force of hukam" perspective, in that if you are greedy or get too used to your cushy ways then you'll perceive yourself being "punished" by having things taken away from you, when it's just hukam, and that you don't perceive a "punishment" if you aren't greedy or complacent, because you're more accepting of hukam and Naam can't be taken away from you like your comfy bed and money, therefore no punishment can be inflicted.

I'm still trying to fathom the suffering of innocents though, born in terrible places. They haven't had the exposure to Gurbani to become fortified with Naam to endure torture, abuse and accept it if they can't fight it. The 5 year old girl in Congo born to a starving mother, who is constantly on the run and suffers abuse until she's killed by her rapist -- the above Gurbani doesn't tackle that particular subject. I need to keep looking. Just thinking out loud, don't mind me. :interestedkudi:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
How can anyone read Gurbani and not become overwhelmed by it's incredible awesomeness? *melts* I don't rationally understand it but I swear my heart does when I read it and it just rings true. It's a mystery to me.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Ishna ji

Now according to Macauliffe this whole section of bani is referring to Babar's invasion of Sayidipur. I get a very different interpretation if I read the angs as just stand alone Gurbani with no knowledge of the events (soldiers become the soldiers of Death, it becomes spiritual) but when I read it in the context of the historical events, then they become human soldiers in my mind. It's hard to explain. I think it's bad to read stories about how bania were composed because it clouds the true meanings I think. But I could be way off!

I can think of two reasons why it is important to know the history of events and how the banis were composed.

1. To be prepared, with research, to critique opinions, found on the Internet and in some academic circles, that challenge the authenticity of the banis themselves. Even challenge the authenticity of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, with the plan of putting forward a Hindutva agenda/to destroy the identity of Sikhs. One famed example of that is the contemporary pressure to remove the banee of the Bhats and the Bhagats from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. This is not the first time.

There is a systematic attack as we speak on Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji coming from political quarters and it is powered by money and relentless need for control.

2. To understand that Guru Nanak's true message was moral and ethical as well as spiritual. Some believe that the fruition of Sikhi only came with Guru Gobind's Singh and his "warrior Sikh." This is a complete myth, not based on evidence. The myth forgets that sant/sipahi is not a divisible as a concept. From the days of Guru Nanak Sikhs were to be both sant and sipahi or spiritual warriors. Before the martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev their was little to no reason for Sikhs to take to the sword. After his martyrdom political realities required it. And knowing history gets us to the understanding that even when wielding the sword, Gurus from Hargobind to Gobind Singh did so reluctantly, and only with much consideration.

Guru Nanak Devji, Guru Amardasji the other Gurus were flesh and blood human beings who took an active interest in the world as it was in their times, to include all of the political and cultural outrages committed against humanity. They undertook pilgrimages, including Guru Teg Bahadur (perhaps the most mystical of Gurus) to raise the spiritual consciousness of the people, and to give them a moral and ethical center coming from dharma. They worked with their hands and hearts. Their "mystical organs" were not detached from the real world. Guru Harkrishan ji gave his life serving small pox victims. Guru Amar Das ji organized the Sikhs into geographical areas and appointed ministers, including women, to attend to their social and spiritual needs, Guru Har Rai is remembered as the "green" Guru. I could go on. Too many believe we wash our bad karma with seva, forgetting that "seva" for sikhs from the times of the Gurus was spirituality in action. Washing our karma with seva is selfishness. Living out the history of Sikhi through seva is the message of Gurbani in action.

Knowing the history Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji out of the ether of Brahminical "other worldliness." How could history take away the spirituality of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji? The bani for me mean so much more when I realize that Guru Nanak was not staring at his navel but was actually imprisoned with the captives of Babar, and suffered with them, when he could have taken his leave as a holy man. He did not do that and expressed righteous anger and deep compassion for the victims, which came from a place in dharma. Taken before Babar his spiritual message freed prisoners, corrected injustice.

Knowing how the shabads fit into a story of Guru Nanak's travels does change how we read them.... a real person is speaking from real experience. imho History makes the banis more spiritual not less given that the Gurus were faced with remarkable challenges in the face of great odds.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Better yet, this ang (417) even talks about rape

I don't know it kind of hints at rape, but overall Guru Sahib is talking about what people do in their lives (run after worldly things) and in the end they suffer.

Doota No Furmaya, Lae Chale Pat Gawaye

This can also talk about messenger, which is the real meaning of Doota. I guess it talks about Messenger of Death. When you die, all you have earned is left here, true respect to earn is for those who are accepted by Guru. Those who have not done Simran of Waheguru or wished for His Darshan, don't get to meet Waheguru once the life is done. They are taken for their next birth of the cycle.

The point of Sindoor in the full Shabad (http://waheguru.com/sgg.php?page=417) is to point to those who live like someone's bride, but are badly attached to wealth and beauty. If we don't have real devotion for Waheguru, we are going to suffer our fate.

For some, it is pre-ordained that they shall sit and cry out in pain.

This pre-ordained is not something written by God, it is probably written as our past actions in previous lives. It could be that even in last 10 lives I was a big liar, and even in this life I don't value Truth. So I continue to suffer. Lying and suffering is not something written by God, but due to rules of Universe, it has become my behavorial tendency.

It has become men's tendency to show down women. Similarly women also give in to suffering. Worse they keep quiet when their own daughters are not treated well, for they have come to love their sons more. Being done over generations, I am afraid it is almost as if being written to our DNA. Only Gurbani can purify us.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ishna ji

Would you please say a little more about this
I'm going to have to read this a few times because its very difficult for me to de-personalise Waheguru when I read some of the following tuks (please refer to the ang above to put the tuks into context):

I have read Ang 417 over two or three times and am having trouble understanding the connection between the shabad and your saying "its very difficult for me to de-personalise Waheguru when I read some of the following tuks." The passages you cite are depictions of the fate of women in Lahore (but also describe the fate of widows in general in Brhaminical India then and even now. Guru Nanak is giving an eye-witness account, as well as pondering the material fate and spiritual condition of those who cling to material position and wealth. In these passages, Guru Nanak is also setting the stage for later passages in the raag where he puts serious moral questions forward to those who wield power and abuse wealth.)

Guru Nanak actually asks the moral question for you, for us:

ਜੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਦੇ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਜੇ ਭਾਵੈ ਦੇਇ ਸਜਾਇ ॥੪॥
Je ṯis bẖāvai ḏe vadi▫ā▫ī je bẖāvai ḏe▫e sajā▫e. ||4||
If it please Him, He grants greatness, If it please Him He awards punishment.

ਅਗੋ ਦੇ ਜੇ ਚੇਤੀਐ ਤਾਂ ਕਾਇਤੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ ॥
Ago ḏe je cẖeṯī▫ai ṯāʼn kā▫iṯ milai sajā▫e.
If the mortal meditates, on the Lord before hand, then why should he receive punishment.

Then later Guru Nanak answers the question
ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਥੀਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਿਆ ਮਾਨੁਖ ॥੭॥੧੧॥ जो तिसु भावै सो थीऐ नानक किआ मानुख ॥७॥११॥
Jo ṯis bẖāvai so thī▫ai Nānak ki▫ā mānukẖ. ||7||11||
Whatever pleases Him, that alone does happen, O Nanak! What is man?

Farther on Ang 417 he repeats this idea:
ਇਹੁ ਜਗੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਤੂ ਗੋਸਾਈ ॥
Ih jag ṯerā ṯū gosā▫ī.
This world is Thine and Thou art the Lord of Universe.

ਏਕ ਘੜੀ ਮਹਿ ਥਾਪਿ ਉਥਾਪੇ ਜਰੁ ਵੰਡਿ ਦੇਵੈ ਭਾਂਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Ėk gẖaṛī mėh thāp uthāpe jar vand ḏevai bẖāʼn▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
In a moment Thou establishest and disestablishest. Thou distributest wealth as Thou pleasest. Pause.

Are you asking why Waheguru would visit suffering on the women of Lahore, permitting them to be dishonored by soldiers and carried away? (The shabad is part of Guru Nanak's longer hymn about the destruction of Lahore by Babar) If you are, then your question is very like the classic question:

Why does God (in any vision of god) will catastrophes and tragedies to occur and devastate creation, which he created? Why would he allow rape to occur? Why would he allow all the atrocities visited upon women to occur?

The follow-up is usually: What kind of God is that who would permit harm to otherwise harmless beings?

Another: Why does the hukam of Waheguru permit powerful or evil people prey on the powerless?

Or: When the harmless and innocent suffer, does that happen because of past karmas in past lives?

I am not sure if you are asking one of these questions, or asking about something and I just have not understood. Or perhaps my misunderstanding comes from a different sense of "personal" god.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Admin note: For more about what are terms the Babarvani hymns see this link http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/historical-events/27582-the-invasion-of-babar-1525-ad.html

In his first invasion, Babar came as far as Peshawar. The following year he crossed the Indus and, conquering Sialkot without resistance, marched on Saidpur (now Eminabad, 15 km southeast of Gujranwala in Pakistan) which suffered the worst fury of the invading host. The town was taken by assault, the garrison put to the sword and the inhabitants carried into captivity. During his next invasion in 1524, Babar ransacked Lahore. His final invasion was launched during the winter of 1525-26 and he became master of Delhi after his Victory at Panipat on 21 April 1526.

Guru Nanak was an eye-witness to the havoc created during these invasions. Janam Sakhis mention that he himself was taken captive at Saidpur. A little of his, outside of Babarwani hymns, indicates that he may have been present in Lahore when the city was given up to plunder. In six pithy words this line conveys, "For a pahar and a quarter, i.e. for nearly four hours, the city of Lahore remained subject to death and fury" (GG,1412).

Also this link Adi Granth as a Source of Sikh History http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-gurus/29190-adi-guru-granth-source-history-sikh.html

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
SPNadmin ji,

Thank you for your input. I've been brazen and in fact asked questions like those you've cited (and ones being asked in the parallel thread occuring at the moment about the terrible state of the world in general).

I was making reference to Findingmyway's post #24. In her post she explains how "God is not a person who is sitting up there pulling the strings of puppets to make is act." The two of us are in agreement that Waheguru is better understood as a "force" rather than a "personality" but I slip sometimes. Also Gyani ji's post #21 is relevant.

It may just be the translation and my deficit in understanding Gurbani at this stage, but when my beginner's brain reads tuks such as the ones I quoted, I struggle to maintain the idea that God is a force and not a puppet-master.

As I said before, I'm pretty sure I've got the right kind of understanding on the inside, but it's difficult for me express my understanding and see how my understanding fits with real-world examples. Like, testing a hypothesis you're sure is correct but not knowing much about real science!

On the flip side it's easy to fall back into a mindset of "well it's it's all God's will and he's pleased with it then why the heck should I try to connect with It whose happy for crap to occur?". Obviously that's not the right understanding and I'm trying to educate myself using the forum as a sounding-board.

Ish

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ishna ji

Good point!
On the flip side it's easy to fall back into a mindset of "well it's it's all God's will and he's pleased with it then why the heck should I try to connect with It whose happy for crap to occur?". Obviously that's not the right understanding and I'm trying to educate myself using the forum as a sounding-board.
Thank you for responding and explaining in more detail. :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Most of these kind of surveys are not for countries like India.India is more like Europe than a country ,here culture ,status of women etc changes from one state to another .Ask a model who is working in Mumbai and travels late at night and have live in relationship whether India is such a bad her answer will be no.Ask a poor woman of UP or Bihar her answer may be India is worst for women

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
SPNadmin ji,

Thank you for your input. I've been brazen and in fact asked questions like those you've cited (and ones being asked in the parallel thread occuring at the moment about the terrible state of the world in general).

I was making reference to Findingmyway's post #24. In her post she explains how "God is not a person who is sitting up there pulling the strings of puppets to make is act." The two of us are in agreement that Waheguru is better understood as a "force" rather than a "personality" but I slip sometimes. Also Gyani ji's post #21 is relevant.

It may just be the translation and my deficit in understanding Gurbani at this stage, but when my beginner's brain reads tuks such as the ones I quoted, I struggle to maintain the idea that God is a force and not a puppet-master.

As I said before, I'm pretty sure I've got the right kind of understanding on the inside, but it's difficult for me express my understanding and see how my understanding fits with real-world examples. Like, testing a hypothesis you're sure is correct but not knowing much about real science!

Ish

I may be wrong, but I have come to terms with this by accepting these things not as gods will, but gods truth. If there is no air in my tyres, and that causes an accident, that is not gods will, that is not anyone's will, the sad fact is that the truth is, there was no air in the tyre, and I ignored it.

If a young child gets raped in the congo, God is not sitting up there watching, powerless, its just the truth, and the consequences of the truth, you could maybe trace this rape back to an event that could have been avoided, but once the air starts to escape from the tyre, and without any vigilance, then an accident is merely a consequence of events left unheeded.

Apologies for the car references today

there is just the truth, with all the power the truth has, not sure if I am right, but that's how I deal with it

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM