• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I think you are taking my phrase 'in their DNA' too literally. I just meant it is something programmed into women, which like you said could be by the society too! I wasn't really talking at genetic level. I nowhere hinted anything about the Y or the X!

If its programming due to society then its not naturally in the nature is it, therefore there is no validity to that attitude. If it ain't biology, it ain't in the DNA! Stereotypes will only get a person so far.One of my oldest friends is currently fighting a court battle against an abusive husband for custody of their daughter. Statistically domestic abuse is more likely to be committed by men so is violence part of a man's nature and DNA? In essentials, there are no differences between men and women. It is how those essentials are utilised that is important and that can be changed by each and every person if the will is there.

Lucky Singh,
Your friend is not the only one to cause a stir with weddings. There are a few separate threads on the issue.

I would like to pay a tribute to my parents here, especially after reading many of the stereotypes portrayed here. I would like to thank them for showing me that stereotypes are not the way it has to be in a happy home. I would like to thank them for defying people's sympathy by declaring they wanted girls even before we were born. I would like to thank them for teaching us all to be independent strong women fully able to hold our own in the world. I would like to thank my mum, masi and both my grandmothers for being such amazing role models to us all our lives and showing us never to bow down to unreasonable society pressure. They are superwomen and able to balance everything life demands of them beautifully (better than the men of my family!!). I would like to thank my parents for not giving us a traditional upbringing so we are not stifled by culture and expectations. Thank you my wonderful parents for loving me and supporting me and giving me confidence as a human being and as their child regardless of my gender kudihug

I would like to finish on this topic by saying thank you Mai ji for your incredible reply. Ain't you a woman :mundabhangra:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Statistically domestic abuse is more likely to be committed by men so is violence part of a man's nature and DNA? In essentials, there are no differences between men and women. It is how those essentials are utilised that is important and that can be changed by each and every person if the will is there.

I haven't said about women being violent or anything. The flow of discussion was that no mother-in-law and daughter-in-law live together on friendly terms. You are making a mountain of a mole hill.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Using your philosophy I declare males to be chauvinistic, selfish, self absorbed and cruel. And this is due to your Y chromosome.
Of course, this is a ridiculous assertion and I am sure you don't believe it anymore than I do but it is just as valid as what you are saying.
findingmyway ji say if I accept your statements above at face value and being valid, am I bad? As we all know Science continues to discover more and more. The more people think they are independent the more Science keeps proving dependencies whether DNA or other.

Separately, I absolutely marvel at Mai Harinder Kaur ji's life achievements and feel sad at times thinking I would have liked to die before her to be born and others massacred. She is just an incredible person and in my mind very incomparable to others in certain ways during recent or even older history terms. She is more than many of us collectively can be.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Lucky Singh Ji,

I did read your post and agreed with it... all but the part about driving and multi-tasking. I don't really think those are true for all women or all men. I'm not such a bad driver, unless its garbage day, and there's cans in the driveway, then not so much. lol. but for the most part a good driver. idk, i agree w/ Harry Ji, the masculine and feminine are not rigid, we each have a little bit of both in us, and its also a matter of what you nurture in yourself, AND what society expects of you.

but the other parts of your post, def agree with those things about perception.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
The following touches on some aspects including how each woman is part man and each man is part woman or it all being as one,

Yusuf Azad Qawwal & Rashida Khatoon Live (BBC) - Aise Besharam Aashiq

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7ZmCJigATU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7ZmCJigATU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Enjoy.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry ji.

This is exactly what i'm saying.
As a man you read my quote stating that men are different to women.
Immediately (as a man) you have assumed I'm degrading or poking fun at women!.....When i'm actually trying to state the opposite!!

Admit or not we all have some degree of predjudice within us. It is actually part of our EGO. This is what us sikhs must try to conquer within each of us.

I have said many times, that if God gave me a role change now, and made me a woman.- I would be NO GOOD, I just wouldn't manage. Yet, if my wife had to come into my shoes as a man, she would have no fear or any problem.

Sat kartar
Lucky Singh

Luckyji

I find your posts well written and pleasing to read, your views are not the same as mine on a few topics but thats ok, we are all here to share opinion and views, however this is the second time I feel you are trying to retrospectively change the essence of your post.

You actually said,

Gurfateh

Ladies, females or girls.
Lets face it. MEN are different to women and always will be.
Just like James Brown sang Its a mans world--------I totally agree.

Although I say 'Its a mans world with a womans touch'

Behind every great man is ____________?
Well, sadly its us men that try to look for another man behind their own success, ignorantly blinded to seeing the real woman behind it.

You are quite correct, I find the above statement degrading to Women, it does not portray them as equals but as support mechanisms to men,

Until men wholeheartedly accept women as absolute equals rather than paying patronising lip service, nothing will change.

Much respect to your friend, I hope you understand the essence of this post

peacesignkaur

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
From my personal view, I would be absolutely, I mean absolutely nothing without my wife. I still think all this stems from your background, culture and the people you associate with. If you have solid foundation then nothing in the world can shake you.
Its a shame really, Sikhi has given us all the tools to improve our selves and we are still running around like headless chickens. The world is crying out for the values that Sikhi gives us and we are brushing them aside and secretly hoping that the problems will go away.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
findingmyway ji say if I accept your statements above at face value and being valid, am I bad? As we all know Science continues to discover more and more. The more people think they are independent the more Science keeps proving dependencies whether DNA or other.

Not bad, but misguided. Males are no worse then females just as females are no worse than males and that is the point! The Y chromosome doesn't actually do much, it is the X that is active. In females one of the X chromosomes is switched 'off' so diseases that are in males only are not due to the Y chromosome but more due to the lack of a strong X which can counteract influences of the other one. Therefore, personality traits cannot be in the sex chromosomes as their inheritance is not simple enough and is highly dependent on the interaction with the environment. Also generalising to such a degree and implying the negative aspects cannot be changed as they are part of a person's makeup is not only defeatist and insulting to all human beings but it stops the incentive to try and change for the better by blaming it on biology.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
.... defeatist and insulting to all human beings but it stops the incentive to try and change for the better by blaming it on biology.
findingmyway ji the point was that logic and knowledge are intertwined. If the knowledge changes then may be logic will fail. So keeping an open mind but of course not to justify or act bad, in inequality, through discrimination, etc.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: