• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Will You Marry A Girl With A Beard?

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
wjkk wjkf
in sukhmani sahib 16 ashtpadi we read
Rup na rekh na rang kichh,trih gun te Prabh bhinn
God has no form, outline or color .He is unaffected by the three qualities of Maya
Tiseh bujhae nanka jis hovai su-prasann
he causes him to know him,with whom He is well pleased,{says} {Guru} Nanak.
dont want to say more in this topic
regards
gitika kaur{sggsji daughter}

But those are the features of God. And God has created humanity as the only species that can affect its God-given envronment and its God-given bodies to its own ends. That's what human beings do.

Building things out of the ground, or repairing ourselves after surgery, or understanding the medicinal value of herbs, etc are our God-given gifts. We can change our bodies and our envronments as we see fit.

If you have interpreted and are using the above passage from gurbani in the way I think you have, then it seems to me that it has been mininterpreted. Guru Nanak is describing how GOD is independent of any influences from maya. That's because maya is a creation of God.

However, maya is the world that God created for us to live in.

If we just sat back and didn't do anything, we'd be submitting to aestheticism, which is something that Guru Nanak comdemned as being wrong.

Remember, one of the Five Thieves is lust. And the Five Thieves are not to be vanquished (else we'd become aestheticists), but merely to be conquered and used (i.e. "fire is a good servant but a bad master").

amarsanghera said:
u have a point geetika.. but as max said, attraction is a subjective and personal matter..

i guess jatinder put the hammer right on the nail when he says that when we say"harmonal imbalance" we are accepting a disorder...and i think it should be rectified..

peace

Indeed.

If someone has a balance of insulin, steps are taken to counteract its effects. We are still 'interfering with God's Will', but I still think that God has given us a hands, head and heart to live actively in this world, as I've stated above.

sarbjit_01

SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
ENGLAND
waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh
marry who you want
but look at her soul not her skin
and every female has facial hair
esp punjabis n girls from jammu n kashmir etc, because its just in our genes
every woman has testosterone hormone
just not as much as males
and you males have no right to tell the woman that she should be "treated" for it
its the womans desision to make

and we all know that the real reason that some of you wouldnt marry a girl with a beard is because you still have an ego
as sikh, we try to dispel that ego
hopefully at some point you do get rid of your ego, then you'll see that waheguru ji is in everything
in males and females, beard or not.

and the question about girls marrying singhs who have no beards, well if its just natural that he cant grow a beard, then i wuld marry him, because its my choice to marry a man who doesnt change the body that waheguru ji gave him
but others may want clean shaven, whereas some may want 6 meter beards
i dont know about the rest
but i dont mind as long as hes a singh

so basically, dnt tell ppl wt they shud do
and, who you marry is your personal choice, that we cant argue with

so nu

SPNer
Nov 6, 2006
GOD is not human being that HE needs to explain things.. HE knows everythhing and if a girl has undergone some kind of surgey to get rid of unwanted hair i dont think it will be hard for GOD to understand this and yes love is both ways so incase a guy has no problem in acceptin a girl with facial hair what if that guy is not is not acceptable to her so waht would one do in such case.....

Nim_23

SPNer
May 16, 2006
Singapore
Putting marriage aside, Turn out & bearing is important even in job interviews. 2 women go for an interview one with unnatural hormones - hasbeard and another one who had normal hormones. They both have the same qualifications. Who would a Human Resource Manager recruit? Who would you recruit, touch your heart and answer this question for a moment?

It is understood that it is against out religion to remove hair from our body but these days its survival especially in cases like the one above. If all Sikhs do not work then what will happen? Who will contribute to our gurdwaras?

Remove unpleasant hair if going for an interview or what so ever but that doesn't mean removing hair on your head. If hair on you head looks unpleasant to a woman then go and do some treatment or curl it or rebond it then to make it look pleasant; you don't have to neccesarily cut it to make it look pleasant.

Nim_23

SPNer
May 16, 2006
Singapore
Putting marriage aside, Turn out & bearing is important even in job interviews. 2 women go for an interview one with unnatural hormones - has beard and another one who had normal hormones. They both have the same qualifications. Who would a Human Resource Manager recruit? Who would you recruit, touch your heart and answer this question for a moment?

It is understood that it is against out religion to remove hair from our body but these days its survival especially in cases like the one above. If all Sikhs do not work then what will happen? Who will contribute to our gurdwaras?

Remove unpleasant hair if going for an interview or what so ever but that doesn't mean removing hair on your head. If hair on you head looks unpleasant to a woman then go and do some treatment or curl it or rebond it then to make it look pleasant; you don't have to neccesarily cut it to make it look pleasant.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Putting marriage aside, Turn out & bearing is important even in job interviews. 2 women go for an interview one with unnatural hormones - hasbeard and another one who had normal hormones. They both have the same qualifications. Who would a Human Resource Manager recruit? Who would you recruit, touch your heart and answer this question for a moment?

you have mentioned excellent point.it will be really difficuilt for a women to find a job with facial hair.

MKAUR1981

SPNer
Aug 24, 2006
Sat Sri Akal

I have to admit that for a woman to have facial hair is more difficult (although not impossible) than a man. For a man it is considered masculine, but for a woman, society has created this image of women, where the only facial hair seems to be the eyebrows.

If one's belief is strong in Sikhism, then instead of pleasing society one will try to please God. My stepmum spent the last 20 years plucking and threading her facial hair, but this year stopped when she decided to take Amrit. God's honest truth, when I look at my stepmum now, I have never seen her look so good.

Not intending to offend anyone, but I think facial hair for women is an issue now. This was not an issue when Guru Gobind Singh Ji said that this will be one of our 5 K's. Talking to my grandmother, she told me that it wasn't the done thing in her time to remove facial hair or even cut their hair. (My grandmother is in her 70's). Ask your grandmother/bibiya at the Gurdwara's and I'm sure you will get the same answer.

Lastly I would like to raise the point Geetika made about bleaching your facial hair. Is that going against Sikhism or is this acceptable as it is only lighting the hair to make it less noticable, not removing it.

BTW those women who are suffering from excess facial hair due to hormone imbalance there are certain medications available. (Some particular brands of contraceptive pills) But worth going to see the doctor about it.

Last edited:

saleen

SPNer
Nov 5, 2006
I second KDS's opinion.

It is an individual's choice to stick to the puritan version of one's religion or let it be a living breathing religion adapting to the times. We live in a highly capitalistic/material/look-oriented world. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look good; it subsequently makes you feel good and happy. No God would want his children to be unhappy. As long as you have love for God and live a virtous life, cleaning a few hairs on your chin ain't going to be much of a problem.

Nim_23

SPNer
May 16, 2006
Singapore
If hair grows out from your nose you trim it don't u? In these days cleanliness also play an important part. If a person is hairy and does not clean up and is suffering from itch due to the excess hair and scratches himself while praying or anywhere outside it will not potray well too.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
Sat Sri Akal

I have to admit that for a woman to have facial hair is more difficult (although not impossible) than a man. For a man it is considered masculine, but for a woman, society has created this image of women, where the only facial hair seems to be the eyebrows.

Yes, but that image hasn't come from the ether. Women are naturally less hairy than men, and for that specific reason.

If one's belief is strong in Sikhism, then instead of pleasing society one will try to please God.

That depends on two things:

1. - What your interpretation of the Granth Sahib is.

2. - Whether you believe that a featureless, formless, timeless, self-existent, fearless, hateless God who is beyond all human constructs is limited by such human emotions as 'being pleased'.

My stepmum spent the last 20 years plucking and threading her facial hair, but this year stopped when she decided to take Amrit. God's honest truth, when I look at my stepmum now, I have never seen her look so good.

Well, I'm glad that you and your step mother are happy.

Not intending to offend anyone, but I think facial hair for women is an issue now. This was not an issue when Guru Gobind Singh Ji said that this will be one of our 5 K's. Talking to my grandmother, she told me that it wasn't the done thing in her time to remove facial hair or even cut their hair. (My grandmother is in her 70's). Ask your grandmother/bibiya at the Gurdwara's and I'm sure you will get the same answer.

The world changes. Over half a century of globalisation, the world changes.

Lastly I would like to raise the point Geetika made about bleaching your facial hair. Is that going against Sikhism or is this acceptable as it is only lighting the hair to make it less noticable, not removing it.

I suppose you'd just have to see what 'pleases God' :}{}{}:

BTW those women who are suffering from excess facial hair due to hormone imbalance there are certain medications available. (Some particular brands of contraceptive pills) But worth going to see the doctor about it.

Would that not be interfering with God's Will, according to you?

Mar 30, 2006
"Wealth and beauty lasts only but a numbered days " - (Guru Nanak, page 23) read more if u want on that panna.
i really didnt know what to say on this topic ...but this is what Guru sahib said. didnt take hukumnama. jus was on a site as n
Quote of the Moment
enjoy!
hope guru sahib ji gives me nd other spiritual beings strength to stand out and be myself, love myself and enjoy being 1 with HIM without caring about what the "thoughtful intelligent" people of THIS TIME have to say about me my looks and thoughts.
max whic philosopher u follow bro? i guess i wll hve to take more philosphy classes inorder to understand ur way of thought.
keep it up! hope u find the kinda GIRL u lookin for...and LIVE WITH HER FOREVR!(yea we gonna live here4evr init?) :whisling:
beauty is a curse to some...ask those who get harrsd juz cuz they got the gift of "beauty". i should say beautty but may be "good lookz"
been through it...and like one of this other girl i met(became best friends) we tlkd about how this beauty ina way becomes a curse. we wished sometimes that we could be normal nd not have people look at our "beauty' this mud creation which god created and accept us the way we are...from inside. someitimez felt like a toy at a shop or something.

but now itz a diff story...life has becom much beautiful after being put on the path of Sikhi by Akal:rofl:

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
"Wealth and beauty lasts only but a numbered days " - (Guru Nanak, page 23) read more if u want on that panna.
i really didnt know what to say on this topic ...but this is what Guru sahib said. didnt take hukumnama. jus was on a site as n
Quote of the Moment
enjoy!

Wealth and beauty and all the other materialistic things in the world are all temporary, of course.

But while we're here, rejecting the temporary physical world would be like submitting to aestheticism. Which, according to Guru Nanak, is wrong.

It's like saying that you shouldn't love your family because they are temporary. Guru Nanak isn't saying that at all. He's simply saying that one should recognise that everything is temporary. Nothing else.

Mar 30, 2006
hmm i guess i should just shutup ...and learn from you...since u seem to know more(not tryin to be sarcaztic)
u seem to be above the attanchment and control over your thoughtz and action...thz wikid! im no where close to that so...:)

13harpreet

SPNer
Sep 2, 2006
good very good ,i just agree with ur answer bcoz as the time changed we also have to change our lifestyle but under in maryada.sade guru vi waqt de hisab naal duniya wich badlav chahnde si .jithe tak gal rahi beard di te eh ik extra ordinary chiz hai so is nu clean karvana koi pap nahi is chiz nu koi wrong way wich na lain .so that i also want to clear one more thing that kuch vi galat nahi honda agar oh ik limit de wich kita jave.
warm regards
dasa di das
simran

sarbjit_01

SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
ENGLAND
to all those of you who are urging womean to remove their hair, please stop
its not your place to tell them
its their descision, not yours
so stop trying to make women conform to your male ways YET AGAIN in the 21st century
i thought that after the 50's women were allowed freedom of speech and action
what happened 2 that?
y r u all trying to force us to conform?
were not your property, so dont TELL us WHAT T DO!

btw this isnt in an angry voice (its more of an pleading voice)

13harpreet

SPNer
Sep 2, 2006
hi sarabjit,
kesh n beard are part of our uniform. it shows that we are from a religion which respects all the religions.i didn't want to say that which u understand.i heartly respect my religion.iam also a sikhni.see as my guru ji said ki agar nails the growth vadh jandi hain te sanu oh katne painde ne isda matlab eh te nahi ki eh pap hai religion de khilaf hai.santa ne vi eh hi keha hai ki maryada wich reh ke har kam thik hai.agar kisi aurat de beard aa rahi hai aur tusi usnu religion naal jod ke isi tarah rehan te majboor kar rahe ho so this is wrong .dharam man di sadhna hai eh antar atma to shuru ke bhar anda hai agar koi andro khush nahi hor bharo khush hon da dhikhwa kar reha hai so this is not a right thing.pls don't mind sarabjit .as i know i tell u .may god give all of us wisdom .i don't know u willbe agree or disagree with my opinion.
warm regards
simran

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
hi sarabjit,
kesh n beard are part of our uniform. it shows that we are from a religion which respects all the religions.i didn't want to say that which u understand.i heartly respect my religion.iam also a sikhni.see as my guru ji said ki agar nails the growth vadh jandi hain te sanu oh katne painde ne isda matlab eh te nahi ki eh pap hai religion de khilaf hai.santa ne vi eh hi keha hai ki maryada wich reh ke har kam thik hai.agar kisi aurat de beard aa rahi hai aur tusi usnu religion naal jod ke isi tarah rehan te majboor kar rahe ho so this is wrong .dharam man di sadhna hai eh antar atma to shuru ke bhar anda hai agar koi andro khush nahi hor bharo khush hon da dhikhwa kar reha hai so this is not a right thing.pls don't mind sarabjit .as i know i tell u .may god give all of us wisdom .i don't know u willbe agree or disagree with my opinion.
warm regards
simran

very well said.beard in girls is not normal it is an abnormility.some boys too
have homonal problem and they sometime develop breast.the treatment available for them is surgery.now if removel of beard in girls is wrong then
is it right for boys to go for breast reduction surgery.i am sure not even the biggest orthodox sikh in the world is against breast reduction surgery.

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

As per Nihungs Lady is allowed to remove facial hairs and Only hairs must more them are of head.

But das did read that Hazamat is Haram.So what should be the way out.

Das can say that hairs like berad on face are due to harmonal imbalences n young ladies so are medical probelms and can be treated medicaly.so is docter does some things and not barber,it is OK.As natrualy female are not to have beard etc.

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
hmm i guess i should just shutup ...and learn from you...since u seem to know more(not tryin to be sarcaztic)
u seem to be above the attanchment and control over your thoughtz and action...thz wikid! im no where close to that so...:)

If you agree with anything I say, then instead of trying to "learn from [me]", just go back to gurbani and learn from it...because that's from where I get everything I say.

However, don't rely on third-hand interpretations of gurbani. Understand the context, understand the poetry, understand the overall purpose of what gurbani is about. And then, make your own deductions, using logic and common sense, as to what it's all about.

There is, however, one very small but invaluable thing I will share with you:

Imagine that the philosophy of Sikkhism is a large house or a mansion. That mansion has a number of smaller doors that take you through different routes, but essentially lead to that same grand hallway in the middle of the house.

People have all gotten so used to using these smaller doors, because they're so excited by the smaller, lavish-looking rooms they walk past. In fact, most people have decided that they won't even continue on their journey to the Great Hall...they rather like it in one of these smaller rooms. But there are a few who don't stop at those rooms, and manage to arrive at the wonderful Great Hall, and couldn't possible to back to those smaller rooms.

People have, in fact, become so used to using those smaller doors that the Great Door - which, as the front door, would be the most direct access point to the Great Hall - has fallen into almost complete disuse. But those who brush away the vines and rediscover the simplicity of the Truth can't help but feel sorry for or feel like helping those stuck in other locations within the house, because they know how easy it is!

Most of the world religions in their existing forms, and most of the interpretations I have encountered of Sikkhism are this "small door" route. Some people get trapped in insignificant practices and routines along the way, but some are able to transcend that completely and realise that 'religion' actually has no meaning, and that it is merely a sugar-coated topping designed to make people feel as though the Cosmic and the Divine is somehow in their control.

However, the Pure Path through Sikkhi is like that Great Door.

You just need the key.

And where is the key?

It's under the welcome mat of the Great Door...it's called the mool mantra.

If you can understand that this one simple passage is the essence to every shabbad written in gurbani, things will start to make sense to you in a way you never conceived. Every philosophical musing by every philosophical mind will suddenly fall into place. Every religion's interpretation of God will start to make sense. The mool mantra is, for human beings, the closest thing to magic you can find.

Master the meaning of the mool mantra, and you will have mastered the meaning of life and the universe itself.

I'm no 'wise man' (to the contrary, I consider myself rather foolish). I'm not in any way more 'learned' than anyone else.

The only quality I have, if anything at all, is that I try and keep my ego at bay.

Because I try and do this (to varying degrees of success :D ), I am able to let go of beliefs that I had invested in that were told to me by other people, and I subsequently free myself to being able to learn the Truth in the purest form it can be learned by a limited human mind.

And that is true freedom.

Nim_23

SPNer
May 16, 2006
Singapore
We must also agree that no matter how much a person says that his/her other half does not have to be good looking; there is definitely a certain standard that is expected to be met at least.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM