• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Opinion Wife's Throat Slit With Kirpan

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Calgary Herald - March 18, 2011

Argument ends with Calgary man murdering his wife in Punjab: reports
Wife's throat slit with kirpan

By Deborah Tetley, Calgary Herald - March 18, 2011 8:06 AM

4463492.bin

Ranjit Kaur, 55, was killed in Raipur, in the northeastern corner of the state of Punjab.
Photograph by: Courtesy, Yespunjab.com

A Calgary man has been charged with murder in India after his wife was killed days after their son's wedding, according to police and media reports out of that country.

Gurdial Singh, who has reportedly lived with his wife and family in Calgary for about a year, also allegedly injured a son who tried to help his mother following a fight in a village in Punjab, police said.

The 57-year-old man and his wife, Ranjit Kaur, 55, were arguing at a home in the village of Raipur early Wednesday morning, police said, when Gurdial Singh allegedly used a kirpan to slit his wife's throat.

"It was suddenly, and it was over some property matters and domestic problems," Hoshiarpur police Insp. Paramjeet Singh said Thursday. "He ran away from the scene of the crime and he is arrested now and in police custody."

Calgary police said they have been advised of the case and are prepared to assist foreign authorities.

Raipur is 15 kilometres from Hoshiarpur, in the northeastern corner of the state of Punjab.

Members of Calgary's Sikh community say the allegations are shocking. "There are many ways to kill somebody, but this kind of brutality is very rare in the Sikh community," said Dalel Thiara, past-president of the Sikh Society of Calgary.

"The way she died is very sad and shocking and violent."

Thiara, 75, said he doesn't know the family involved, but he has relatives who live in the village where the incident occurred and some of them attended the wedding -which was in a neighbouring village.

"They were at the wedding on March 11. It was an arranged marriage and they said the marriage went well."

Thiara said Raipur is an agricultural village of about 1,000 people.

It's not clear why the couple argued. Some reports out of India say they were fighting over why Gurdial's in-laws were left off the wedding guest list, but police did not confirm that to the Herald. Other reports say the husband was upset that the family wanted him to sell his land.

The India Times reported the family arrived in Punjab on March 1 for the wedding of their younger son, Gurvinder. An older son, Kamaljit, was injured in the fight. Family members reportedly told police that Kamaljit lived in Canada for seven years. His parents and other family members migrated to Canada last year.

dtetley@calgaryherald.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

source
:http://www.canada.com/news/Calgary+husband+charged+Punjab+murder/4461014/story.html?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I suggest in terms of the following,

• "There are many ways to kill somebody, but this kind of brutality is very rare in the Sikh community," said Dalel Thiara, past-president of the Sikh Society of Calgary.
    • I think it will be wise for Dalel Thiara to review his comment
    • Or write a book on better killing practices in domestic disputes! Wow, sometimes the translators take full advantage of what you say or we are not thinking well in our comments.

• Plays right into the hands of the anti-Kirpan lobby like Calgary Police, Parti Quebecois, and others in terms of their campaign against "Sikhs with Kirpans"
    • This tragedy will be exploited for partisan and discrimination purposes
    • Great job Dalel Thiara ji, unless the reporter used you or you let yourself be used!
    • So Sad!

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Admin note:

SPN keeps an ongoing archive of information about honour killing, and other abusive practices, not only in the Sikh community but also worldwide.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
This is an ordninary crime...domestic dispute and murder/killing in heat of arguemnt is usually called Manslaughter....and the people invoilved happen to be sikhs/punjabis/kirpans..

1. IF it was in japan..it would be a SAMURAI SWORD
2. IF Malaysian..it would be PARANG.(known as machette elsewhere !! OR...KERIS...
(Malay ceremonial dagger).
3. IF in Nepal..it would be Kukri...
4. IF in the WEST....weapon of choice is usually the KITCHEN KNIFE !! ( But we would NEVER read a report saying.. a DEVOUT CATHOLIC picked up his kitchen knife and stabbed his wife..it would be JUST..Mr. so and so...CainAbelMcdonaldJonathan....picked up a kitchen knife and stabbed mrs cainabelJonathanmcdonaldduck to death !!

Bottom line is...humans involved..anger involved..and nearest weapon picked up and used...religion etc has got nothing to do with it...

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
IF in the WEST....weapon of choice is usually the KITCHEN KNIFE !! ( But we would NEVER read a report saying.. a DEVOUT CATHOLIC picked up his kitchen knife and stabbed his wife..it would be JUST..Mr. so and so...CainAbelMcdonaldJonathan....picked up a kitchen knife and stabbed mrs cainabelJonathanmcdonaldduck to death !!

True...then again...when was the last time we read about anyone having their throat cut with a Crucifix?

I don't mean to play devils' advocate here it's just a debating point....

I am Scottish as well as Indian and have worn the traditional Scottish Highland suit on a number of formal occasions. The full outfit includes a small knife with a 4 inch blade which although not sharp enough to cut someone's throat could still be used as a weapon

Genuine question folks....I appreciate the Kirpan is one of the 5 articles of faith but I have to ask is it appropriate and necessary to keep it so sharp?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Seeker9 ji

Kirpan as a label for naming a wide array of objects, differing in length and in sharpness. So you have a point. Pardon the pun.

We can go online and take a look at the range of objects so named, and some of them are potentially lethal. One makes a choice in selecting one's own kirpan. That choice is a reflection of one's image of oneself. A small, dull kirpan just does not fit the bill for everyone.

On the other hand, kirpan as an article of faith does not have to be lethal, neither sharp nor large. And even if it is lethal in dimensions and sharpness, in the end it is the choice of the individual to remember or to forget what it means. And this man most likely made a deliberate choice of something potentially lethal, forgot what kirpan is for, and lost his way.

There are some interesting reflections on kirpan at the link When is a Kirpan not a Kirpan? http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/29896-when-is-a-kirpan-not-kirpan.html

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
True...then again...when was the last time we read about anyone having their throat cut with a Crucifix?

I don't mean to play devils' advocate here it's just a debating point....

I am Scottish as well as Indian and have worn the traditional Scottish Highland suit on a number of formal occasions. The full outfit includes a small knife with a 4 inch blade which although not sharp enough to cut someone's throat could still be used as a weapon

Genuine question folks....I appreciate the Kirpan is one of the 5 articles of faith but I have to ask is it appropriate and necessary to keep it so sharp?

If my kirpan hadn't been so sharp in Delhi in 1984, I wouldn't be alive to write about this.
sword%20khanda%20chakra.gif

Please don't say "that was different." It wasn't. We were just Sikhs going about our daily business when Mrs. Gandhi was executed and India (provoked by Congress) turned on us. A few of us had sharp kirpans (and knew how to use them) and so were able to defend ourselves.:swordfight-kudiyan:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM