• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spiritual Why We Only Need To Pray For Naam

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Four people came up to a tree.

The first person asked the tree for shade, and the tree provide the person with shade.

The second person asked the tree for beautiful flowers, and the tree gave the person beautiful flowers.

The third person asked the tree for fruit, and the tree gave the person all the fruit that could ever be wished for.

But the fourth person asked the tree for another tree, and that person had all the shade, beautiful flowers and fruit they could ever need.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
what if you have no interest in flowers, shade or fruit? what if you all you do is want to look after trees? Would you ask for another tree to serve Creation or for it to serve you?

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
When we do Ardas, we usually ask the Universe to change itself to suit our own desires.

Instead, we should be asking the Universe to change ourselves so that we may accept the Hukam and be content with what may be.

The former mentality is Haumai, while the latter mentality isn't.

Throughout Gurbani, Guru ji asks the Husband-Lord for the Naam. It a means by which we can shake off the shackles of Haumai.

Practically, Naam is something we meditate on. Poetically, Naam is a means by which we come to know someone. The first question we ask when meeting someone is "What is your name?".

Oh Beloved, give me the Naam so that I may come to know you within myself.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Four people came up to a tree.

The first person asked the tree for shade, and the tree provide the person with shade.

The second person asked the tree for beautiful flowers, and the tree gave the person beautiful flowers.

The third person asked the tree for fruit, and the tree gave the person all the fruit that could ever be wished for.

But the fourth person asked the tree for another tree, and that person had all the shade, beautiful flowers and fruit they could ever need.

It must have been a tall date tree.

hpsp

SPNer
Jan 3, 2016
Ishna ji,
what exactly is Nam. Opinions vary. What is your understanding of Naam in context of the title of this post. Thanks.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Ishna ji,
what exactly is Nam. Opinions vary. What is your understanding of Naam in context of the title of this post. Thanks.

Hpsp Ji

You're right when you say opinions vary on what exactly Naam is. I don't know enough yet to give justice to a properly thorough description.

In context of the title of this post, I used the word "Naam" to refer to the qualities/attributes/gun(a)s of the Akaal Sahib, the Sat (Reality). When we are aware and aligned to the Sat, then everything falls into place \ nothing else matters \ you have the whole tree.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
just curious, we talk about these concepts like they are readily in existence, but does anyone know of a person who has achieved this state?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
just curious, we talk about these concepts like they are readily in existence, but does anyone know of a person who has achieved this state?

What state?

The concepts describe parts of reality as Sikhs know it, so yes, they are "readily in existence".

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
does anyone know of a person who has achieved this state?

True! If you look on the surface.. you may feel Gurbani saying that the state of such a person is incomprehensible.

But we need to go deeper..

Such a person knows no happiness or sadness. They love their family but are not attached. They are a reflection of the Truth. Pure and see-through like glass!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM