• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Religion Needs Science's Approval

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
_/|\_ Sat Nam

There is no such thing as a perfect science. The only thing science it actually proves is how it will inevitably take earlier proof and disprove it. :grinningsingh:

Scientists once said there could not be life on Mars. Recently, they have discovered otherwise. What the Bleep Do We Know? That, to me, was a masterpiece which shows anything is possible, even what science says is impossible.

Over a decade ago, I would get in discussions with Christians. I would say the Light is real. They would say its a metaphor. People who have near-death experiences say that Light is real. Scientists are still trying to disprove it saying its the brain's electrical wiring going haywire at death. Then how come people have been able to say what was said and done in the hospital room or outside the hospital room?

I love how Hindus have found Jesus pbuh speaking of Light and the third eye in the Bible. It is so obvious once they show it. That rocks. Praise God/dess!

I think the religions have all given clues, some very subtle, others very obvious about things science took credit for centuries later. They may not use scientific language or techniques or call it "atoms". But there are some things a scientist can't prove with a microscope.

That being said I find myself in awe when I hear something on the news about scientific discoveries. I will always be left in awe that human body is such a profoundly amazing "machine". But I also believe science only proves God's Omnipotence.

That's my two cents.

Nam Jiwan

No microscope was used for the development of the above opinion. :grinningsingh:

Aug 28, 2010
It all depends how one is familiar with the fundmentals of different sciences.
Only a person with strong understanding of fundamentals of science can actually appreciate the science of religion too.
One can find how great scientists are great Philosophers too.Certainly there is a domain where Science and religion seem to have merged.

Prakash.S.Bagga

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

Perhaps science is about attempts to prove truth, but religion/philosophy is about Truth. Sometimes science might discover Truth, but usually scientists give credit to their own science vs. Truth.

I'm almost going over my own head at this point. lollol

Nam Jiwan

Aug 28, 2010
Sat Nam _/|\_

Perhaps science is about attempts to prove truth, but religion/philosophy is about Truth. Sometimes science might discover Truth, but usually scientists give credit to their own science vs. Truth.

I'm almost going over my own head at this point. lollol

Nam Jiwan

You are very right in saying so.
In fact science is searcing and trying to prove THE TRUTH as envisaged
in various religious scriptures.

Prakash.s.Bagga

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Folks I believe we are confusing things a bit.

For me the expressions of unencumbered spirituality, soul speak have no boundaries in terms of revelations. Some specific, some general and some that may appear or look like scientific discovery. The great philosophers, the great intellects, the great souls like our Guru jis, Baba Farid ji, Bhagat Kabir ji, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, etc., provided expressions and insights beyond normal deduction or encumbered thinking. That is the beauty of spiritual thought as it is not driven by an objective to prove or disapprove which is fundamental in Classical Science approach. When you are not trying to prove or disapprove you are unencumbered like the morning dew on grass or fresh snow on a mountain. Purest or pure expressions and displays.

I believe where through accident, love or other reasons people have tried to convert spiritual and religious writings into classical Scientific associations that the problems start.

Examples without trying to denigrate or dis-respect the spirituality of any of the works:

• It is all in the Koran (say the physiology of conception, embryonic growth and birth; best ways or only ways to prepare meat (Halal), etc.)

• It is all in the Bible as to how life came to be through Adam and Eve
  • It is all in the Vedas how space exploration sciences were already penned,
    • Elephants were thrown in the air and they started circling earth
  • Some people's take from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji
    • The constellation and expanse of universe is all defined within
  • etc.
In all these approaches, from my perspective people of all faiths do considerable dis-service to the masters or the most beloved teachers of their religions and faiths.

Sat Sri Akal.peacesign

PS: Prakash.S.Bagga ji I believe you using the phrase "Science of Religion" are missing spirituality of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji all together. We cannot start changing definitions of commonly understood words like Science. As we know Science proves or disproves through deduction, calculation and experimentation. Religion has no need to prove or disprove as it is unencumbered thinking which was not penned to prove or disprove in the first place. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a teacher which will use metaphoric examples, analogies, and such to teach but all driven to not teach you specifics but enable your higher thinking and higher living as a result by yourself.

Last edited:

sandeep17oct

SPNer
Nov 26, 2011
I find this whole debate ridiculous. Science is necessary for us to live the lives we lead. Science has made possible the sharing of the Guru's teachings! Scientific laws are not separate but are part of hukam. Science is allowing us to learn about a portion of creation. I find studying science increases my wonder of Waheguru's creation, not dims it! There is huge overlap. I never understand why people feel the 2 things are mutually exclusive!! Science is also part of Hukam. :confusedkudi:

If you find the debate ridiculous nobody invited you to come and participate. There are pending scientific discoveries to be made.Go help them. Let us dimwits talk this out.

sandeep17oct

SPNer
Nov 26, 2011
Science has helped spread Guruji's word but its not that when we did not have these fancy means the word was not preserved. It (Guru's word not science) is eternal and does not depend on science for its preservation. It is not subject to being washed away by time.

sandeep17oct

SPNer
Nov 26, 2011
Those who think this is a religion vs science debate please read the thread carefully or dont care to participate. because it is not.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: