Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Why Is There Discrimination Against Lower Caste Sikhs?

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by Jasdeep118, Apr 5, 2017.

1. RD1

RD1 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

Hence, a previous comment I made - What religion out there is not a "failed religion?"
    Corruption has seeped in everywhere. Religion is twisted and used for one's self-interest - to actually promote fear, hate, and division, rather than love and tolerance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur India
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Thinker

Sure there are problems in Akal Takht etc but there could be a lot worse! Can you imagine what will happen if one of the groups who hates Sikh Reget Maryada gets in power? How much that will divide Sikhi???

3. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Qatar
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Hence the First Masters teaching, that there is No Hindu No Muslim.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Qatar
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Sikhi is the path of Truth. Other past teachers have also taught Truth. Its not a Sect, and its not exclusive to the earth realm. Its a path to eternity and the practice of freedom and Balance.

Humans Group together in attachment to each other when the Masters taught that attachment is a vice. They fight and argue all under the guise of religion instead of living how they should.

When institutions the Masters set up become corrupted and unrecognisable from how they were originally, theyre no longer valid and should be disregarded, live how they wanted you to live.

5. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer

Religion is there for self-improvement but now it is used against others in self-interests. The self (or haumae) manipulates everything from light to dark side.

6. sukhsingh

sukhsingh
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

I think the problem is that Sikhism has become or at least the dominant thread of it is transforming in to organised and institutionalized religion when guru nanaks message clearly opposed hierarchical structures with a intellectual /priesthood /politicized identity. It was pluralistic at it's very heart.. I think the conflation of the Sikh identity with that of khalsa panth and the trend since Singh sabha movement for them to be one and the same has as a unintentional consequence undermined the plurality and enable social hierarchies to become culturally embedded

• Like Like x 3
  7. RD1

RD1 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

Hierarchies result in divisions and separating people, creating power imbalances, and essentially discrimination and oppression - whether by caste, gender, race, etc. Every aspect of out existence is hierarchical - from politics, to the work place, to our homes. Are we humans incapable of living without hierarchy?

A part of Sikhism is organized/institutionalized with the Khalsa. However, I would say that Sikhism does not have as many strict "rules and regulations" as other religions. It is quite open, and not simply a religion, but a way of life. And still, it was also made clear by our gurus that Waheguru is the only Master. All humans are equally below the One.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur India
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Thinker

The ones in power don't want to lose that power over others. That includes government over the people, higher caste over the lower castes, males over females etc. I'm quite sure those in the lower positions would love to see heirarchy die.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #28 Harkiran Kaur, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. RD1

RD1 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

Agreed. However, it seems that throughout all of humankind, societies have always organized themselves around hierarchies. There are those who constantly seek power, and others who give away their power. Some people just seem to want to bow down to someone.....like how so many people basically worship the British crown - despite their extremely violent and intolerant history/legacy.

Perhaps hierarchies only truly become dangerous when the ones on top start to abuse their power and influence - which seems to be the case today when it comes to governments and wealthy corporations, in particular.

10. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur India
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Thinker

When said hierarchies are temporary and elected by the people then I have no issues. Society needs governance.

But on personal level is where I have problems with it. Lower caste stuck in the lower position from both to death and through no desire of their own. Why is someone higher than someone just because of what body / family they happened to be born in? They aren't according to Gurbani which says every human is equal and that we are to see that in everyone. Even worse how can Gurdwaras pop up for only certain castes like Ramgharia Gurdwaras I have seen?? Gurdwaras are open to everyone even nonSikhs!

Same with 'traditional' ideals for family and women's place. Even in sikhi we see women forced into subordinate role beneath their husbands who are 'head' (or even 'God' in some Rehet maryadas) of their family. There are countless 'Singhs' out there who believe the reason why the male leads in the lavaans is to demonstrate how he will 'lead' and his wife will 'follow' (aka be obedient) in the marriage. (They obviously don't get the metaphor and what's being passed during the lavaans has nothing to do with physical marriage but instead our souls relation to Waheguru as husband Lord) but I digress... husband and wife are equal halves to one whole and have equal say in their marriage as two consenting adults. A party of two doesn't need a perpetual leader and a perpetual follower... that would be a master / servant relationship. Some of those Singh's even say that a wife's 'dharam' is to serve her husband while he never has to serve his wife in this life. That suggests being born female is a punishment for past Karams? While being born male is a reward?? Is this what our Gurus taught???

11. sukhsingh

sukhsingh
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

All hierarchical structures are based on power and hence open to abuse.
    I have always seen guru gobind Singh jis submission to the panj pyare a demonstration of how even guru was not beyond rapprochement

12. Sikhilove

Sikhilove Qatar
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

The difference between authority of the Gurus and that of mayadharis is that Gurus put their heads at the feet of all.

This is rare.

Many have forgotten that the prerequisite of spirituality is losing your head.

• Like Like x 2
  13. sukhsingh

sukhsingh
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Thinker

Humility

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    Jasdeep118

Jasdeep118 Canada
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I agree with you too, I hope that in the future that we will seee Guru Nanak Dev Ji's wish come true, and that there would be no caste, but only equal human beings.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 21, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 21, 2017 ---
    Our only hope is that our hope will carry the torch of Sikhi, and will help cleanse it of its vices

• Like Like x 1
Since you're here... we have a small favor to ask...     Become a Supporter      ::     Make a Contribution