• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hinduism Why Is There Dancing In Bhajans Or In Mandir Settings?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
caspian ji I believe sometimes we pass each others by due to assumptions. Talking first person helps me sometimes to sort out, versus, globalization from the start of a thought. For example, addressing a person and asking what they would do versus what others did.

You could equally ask the following,
Q1: "Ambarsaria would you sit through or participate in a wedding where there will be, "4 hour long kirtan in liue of a reception. 1 hour and a half to 2 hours (i kid you not) was spent chanting "Waheguru" over and over and over. "

A1: Past the cursory social, if such family were friends, the answer is, no I would not sit down through such service or persevere through it.

My logic is, if you are trying to reach God (omnipotent and omnipresent), HE does not need to be called again and again as HE is not hard of hearing. Specially when Sikhism teaches you that God lives in everyone, you are shouting at yourself. I might upset some but that is not the reason I describe my belief or practice. Best for me is silent dialog without fanfare with your inner self.

Social rituals, pleasantries and like have some value but taken to the extreme these can become absurd just as the original videos posted.
The following is not Gurbani but some common sense and I am sure you heard this before but in case,

Baba Bulleh Shah - Sher Miandad Khan - Raaz Dhiya Gallan
YouTube - Baba Bulleh Shah - Sher Miandad Khan - Raaz Dhiya Gallan

Pay special attention around 0:30 minutes and ignore reference to Allah or Muhammad to get the essence of the message.

Enjoy.

Sat Sri Akal.

asking

SPNer
Jan 21, 2011
I am not refering these videos as second and third are not religious at all . They are done by nonsense one . But still dancing in love of Lord is certainly possible in a true devotee also . i am not saying compalsarly but some devotees filled with love dances which means there whole body is singing .It is sign of ecstatic joy. Dancing has spiritual origin Shiva ,Krishna ,Meera ,Bullehshaw ..I am not considering these videos .

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
I am not refering these videos as second and third are not religious at all . They are done by nonsense one . But still dancing in love of Lord is certainly possible in a true devotee also . i am not saying compalsarly but some devotees filled with love dances which means there whole body is singing .It is sign of ecstatic joy. Dancing has spiritual origin Shiva ,Krishna ,Meera ,Bullehshaw ..I am not considering these videos .

Pray for Truth and Say Sat Sri Akaal.

Although the topic is about Mandir setting, there are numerous posts that include Bulleh Shah, Sher Miandad and Sufi Dancing. I am wondering if the Islamic versions of Dancing originated from the Hindu practices. Kindly share your views. (References: #7 and #21).

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Gyani Jarnail Singh ji where do you get "Baba/babey detectors" as mine broken down after overuse from detecting so mamny baba/Babey and "Walleh ...". Like the following,

• Baba ji Gaon walleh (Baba ji from village)
  • Baba ji do ankh walleh (Baba ji with two eyes)
  • Baba ji parosi walleh (Your neighbourhood baba ji)
  • Baba ji Deccan Walleh (Baba ji from South)
  • Baba ji Sabhrang walleh (Rainbow Baba ji)
  • Baba ji Khandey Walleh (Khandey Walleh Baba ji)
  • Baba ji Daag Walleh (Baba ji with stain chamatkar)
  • Baba ji Urteh Panchi Walleh (Baba ji from flying bird)
  • Baba ji Audi Walleh (Baba ji who rides an Audi)
  • Baba ji Benz Walleh (Baba ji who rides in a Mercedes)
  • Baba ji aar paar Walleh (baba from here and there)
  • far too many still to detect and my Baba detector is broken
    • please help:angryyoungsingh::angryyoungkaur:
Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Pray for Truth and Say Sat Sri Akaal.

Although the topic is about Mandir setting, there are numerous posts that include Bulleh Shah, Sher Miandad and Sufi Dancing. I am wondering if the Islamic versions of Dancing originated from the Hindu practices. Kindly share your views. (References: #7 and #21).

I dont know if the two are related..the Mandir dances and the sufi dances..BUT this was REJECTED by the Sikh GURUS. imho this is one reason the Bani of Meera Bai was not included in the SGGS by Guru Arjun Ji. Meera bai jis love for Lord Krishna ji is legendary...the same love that is expressed in Gurbani for The Creator..BUT non-stop ecstatic swaying and dancing (in front of the diety as in mandirs) in the darbar sahib SGGS has never happened/been tolerated. Only the KOOKAS, who undoubtedly are under heavy sanatan/Hindu influence sway and shake their heads and shout loudly (kookaan) in Darbar of their Guru....whcih is NOT Mainstream Sikh practise at all. Sikhi gives great importance to SEHAJ...utter calmness...serenity....which is not compatible with vigorous and sometimes sensual dancing....

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Gyani Jarnail Singh ji come on for the following I think sometimes is not right choice of words,

....which is not compatible with vigorous and sometimes sensual dancing....
It is all realtive,

• Half naked ladies in Dhotis with flowing hair and barefeet are always sensual to some male(s) in the audience unless all are eunuchs or blind!
    • Example Video 1 at start ... Aaja Aaja Radhey for men to watch
    • Example Video 2 at start ... For ladies to watch
I know you are generally very precise.

Well OK the following not very sensual,

YouTube - Devi Dhyani Sacred Dance Meditation for Sathya Sai Baba

YouTube - Kundalini Yoga Dance the Chakras

Sat Sri Akal.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
<<>>>><><><><>> Pray for Truth and Say Sat Sri Akaal. <><><><><>

Reminds me of BABA JI BALBIR SINGH !! SPN WALLEH...HA HA HA

Yes, Gyani Ji.

Those days, Aad002 also used to use these very opening sentence and me too
when moderation became challenging. I guess some funny videos posted here zapped me back into the past.

Well it looks like I won't be around too often from now on due to workload.
I think Ambarsaria is a very good contributor and you Mentors take care and nurture him well.
And also Forum Leaders need to improve the quality of the inputs by sticking to the topic.
I see too much deviation occurring and this isn't just my thoughts alone but that of many
SPN visitors who also visit (and leave comments) on one of my blogs.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM