• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Is A Head-Covering Mandatory In Gurudwaras?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: Covering Head .

Its a sign of RESPECT. Carried over form Culture. To a SIKH the KESH is very Honourable and deserves UTMOST RESPECT. Hence Kesh must be covered at all times even in the home...and by extension in the Gurdwara.
IN Punjabi Culture a Bare headed person is regarded as not "right"..a sign of GRIEF ...to a woman being bareheaded means her husband is dead...etc etc.

IN Western Culture a gentleman shows respect by REMOVING his hat and going bareheaded..in Church a hat is REMOVED and keeping it ON is a sign of Disrespect...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Why Is a Head-Covering Mandatory in Gurudwaras ?

asking ji

You have asked the same question two different times. Gyani and findingmyway jios have given you similar answers. So I have merged the threads into one. And moved both of them to New To Sikhism because this a basic concept. Thanks and please do not post this again. :)

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Re: Covering Head .

Its a sign of RESPECT. Carried over form Culture. To a SIKH the KESH is very Honourable and deserves UTMOST RESPECT. Hence Kesh must be covered at all times even in the home...and by extension in the Gurdwara.
IN Punjabi Culture a Bare headed person is regarded as not "right"..a sign of GRIEF ...to a woman being bareheaded means her husband is dead...etc etc.

IN Western Culture a gentleman shows respect by REMOVING his hat and going bareheaded..in Church a hat is REMOVED and keeping it ON is a sign of Disrespect...
Gyani Jarnail Singh ji it is pretty hard to add much to the wisdom with succinctness that you share here at SPN.

If I may be guilty of an indiscretion I will like to add an additional aspect for head covering.
Specially for female members of the congregation, in practical terms it is also an expression of modesty. If a "chunni" is employed by a female, it provides partial coverage to the jewelry one may be wearing (minimum or none is encouraged in Sikh Rehat Maryada) and lower arms. I know when we were very young our aunt used to use part of her chunni to cover our head too as we will snuggle up to her and as needed.
Regards.

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: Why Is a Head-Covering Mandatory in Gurudwaras ?

Ambarsariah ji..
You are too modest Jios..
What you have "added" is a gem...or what we refer to as .."soneh te suhagah..."
It would be rare a person who hasnt yet... seen a Punjabi mother carrying her child while shielding its face from the sun with her chunni..I remember i used to remain in that shade and even in the rain cover my head..while old enough to walk alongside my mum...and a Punjabi female's beauty is enhanced by the chunni much more than the "beauty aids" bought now adays in the market place !!
Regards Jios

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM