• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Why Does Caste Still Persist With Sikhs?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Turban is to cover out Kesh. And with the firmness we tie our turban, that firmness we show in our devotion to Sikhi. Each turn of turban on our head comes with Simran. Calling a turban Ramgariah style is an insult. It is like making a house of cards and then blowing them away :D

I agree, but there have always been different styles eg ihang Style, Patiale Style, Delhi Style, Mumbhai Style, Lahori Style etc etc They call the pointed pugh Valeti Style in India.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I agree, but there have always been different styles eg ihang Style, Patiale Style, Delhi Style, Mumbhai Style, Lahori Style etc etc They call the pointed pugh Valeti Style in India.

Hmmm maybe you can tell me the name of the round turban style that women usually tie. I'd like to learn how to do it, but without a proper name to Google, I keep getting all the turbans that men wear. (Or if you know a YOutube vid that shows how...) Not the style that the 3HO women tie, but the one that Sikh women from India wear (they seem to be slightly different)

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Hmmm maybe you can tell me the name of the round turban style that women usually tie. I'd like to learn how to do it, but without a proper name to Google, I keep getting all the turbans that men wear. (Or if you know a YOutube vid that shows how...) Not the style that the 3HO women tie, but the one that Sikh women from India wear (they seem to be slightly different)

The round style is the Nihang Style.

My personal opinion is women do not have to wear a turban if they do not wish to.

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
1) Kabir Ji was a Julaha (a community making mud utensils) (2) Sant Namdev Ji was a Darji (tailor) (3) Ravidasji was a Chamar (making thins frm animal skin), Guru Gobind Singh Ji said 'Kshatri ko putt hun Baaman Ko Nahi' ... Being in different field of work doesn't mean to descriminate based of professions..... Same is in Sikhs 'Ramgariyas I believe have always been prefering technical works, jatts into farming and so on....what i mean to say is categorizing is fine based on the professions but descriminating on it is inhuman not only in Sikhism but in any religion...

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Randip-ji, I thought there was no differentiation between man and woman in Sikhi.. why does a man have to wear dastaar and the woman doesn't..? :}:):

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Randip-ji, I thought there was no differentiation between man and woman in Sikhi.. why does a man have to wear dastaar and the woman doesn't..? :}:):

WJKKWJKF Sat Siri Akal

I believe it is optional for women but every Sikh sister i have meet or dealt with who was waring dastaar has turned out to be Khalsa?Amrithadi And respect to the Sikh sisters who do both wear dastaar and take Amrit

:happysingh:kaurhug

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
As far as my small knowledge is concerned, there no clear instruction in Gurbani to wear turbans but its a Sikh Maryada to keep our hairs well combed & covered at all times.

Usually males do it wearing turbans & females by a long scarf (chunni/dupata) but have always seen females wearing round styled turbans so it's their will how they like to keep their head covered.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM