• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Do We Need A Naming Ceremony?

Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.
Re: Do We Need a Naming Ceremony?

jasbirkaleka ji

From that a bright mind like yours can reason. You are too humble in calling yourself a "simple" farmer.

Definition for Ritual: A ritual is a set of actions, performed mainly for their symbolic value. It may be prescribed by a religion or by the traditions of a community. The term usually excludes actions which are arbitrarily chosen by the performers, or dictated purely by logic, chance, necessity, etc.

Definition for Superstition: an irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear

Thus the matter hinges on whether the naming ceremony has no logic or necessity. Is it performed mainly for symbolic value? Do the performers choose their own actions at any time? Or is it prescribed by a religion? Or by traditions of a community? Is there any fear involved? What belief are we talking about here. Are you saying that the naming ceremony has no logic, is performed mainly for symbolic value, and the participants have no choice in their actions, or that fear is involved in some way?

Sat Sri Akal,

I think belief, wishful thinking and fear, all are invokved in this cercmony.

Has any evidence been found of our later Sikh Gurus or their childern, after

the instalation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, being named in this manner.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!

Sat Sri Akal,

Jasbir ji,
Please explain further. When the 1st letter of my sister's name was found this way none the the feelings you describe were felt by us. Conversely we felt thankful for the addition to our family and safety of my mum and sister considering earlier problems in the pregnancy. Fear, blind faith or wishful thinking didn't come into it. It was something we wanted to do as we have a deep regard for Guru Granth Sahib Ji's teaching's and this is another way of showing appreciation to Waheguru. If we didn't feel that or had set on a name then we would not be asking Guru Ji's guidance with a hukamnama. Hukamnama's are one of the most important ways of learning as long as people actually listen to them and pay attention. As has been said before, the mindset of the person changes a lot so if you are approaching with the mindset of fear then only you are missing out.
Respectfully,
Jasleen.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Sat Sri Akal,

With due regard, I submit that your statements may be actually cluttering the discussion. I have taken some of your words and relate to those in my comments below,

• belief
    • I think it is good to believe reason for doing something.
      • Support, thankfulness and participating in a collective sangat setting for the celebration of a child is not a fearful gathering
  • wishful thinking
    • There is nothing wishful other than you having some names in mind and waiting for the hukam to select the letter
    • There is anticipatory excitement but no fear from what I know
  • fear
    • I don't know of any outcasts who did not participate in such a ceremony
    • There is no penalty or assignment of the same
    • The only time there is another reference to the name is at baptization when the child has grown up to be able to follow amritdhari sikh accountabilities
      • The question then being if one's name has been determined previously per Sikh Rehat Maryada (SRM) and any corrective action is taken then
In terms of your last statement as follows,

• Has any evidence been found of our later Sikh Gurus or their childern, after the instalation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, being named in this manner.
    • I do not see the point of above
    • I don't think people are saying that SRM was created in full by Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji
    • In fact the following provides background into it,
      • http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/introduction.html
      • There are some incredibly knowledgeable, academic and religious participants in the period of developing SRM as can be seen in the above
      • The genuine efforts of these people to actually translate into words the sikhi panth started by Guru Gobind Singh ji and in light of Sri Guru Granth Sahib is admirable.
I do believe you have right to raise doubt, question or state your point of view. I do also believe that you need to not just question but provide some little deeper insights. I am as guilty as the next person as the saying goes, there are always more questions than answers for everything.

I humbly submit the above.

Sat Sri Akal.

Oct 11, 2006
Patiala,Punjab.
The Installatiion of GURU GRANTH SAHIB took place as the FINAL ACT of the Final Human Guru Guru Gobind Singh Ji in 1708 just before leaving this Earth. Since then there has been NO LIVING HUMAN GURU to need any Naming/ either for Himself or his children. The One and ONLY GURU is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

O.K.

I GIVE UP.
I STAND CORRECTED, THANKS TO YOU ALL.:singhsippingcoffee:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM