• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Do We Do Stupid Things?

Charan

SPNer
Mar 15, 2010
If everything happens according to His will, then why does He let us do stupid things? Is our mind controlled by Him? If not, then what exactly is it that he controls? I don't get it :confused:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
We are not puppets being controlled by a puppet master or being dictated to. All the stupid things are our own actions. We have free will, we have choices. Hukam is not control exactly but the laws that govern the world and everything.
Jasleen

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
just found this quote in another thread that i really liked. i hope lee ji doesn't mind me using it here:

God asks us to give over our will onto Gods will. God has given us free will, yet asks us to relenquish this, freely by our own choice.

Those who do, and those who God decides to take, then God works through them. Otherwise what we do in this world we do so freely in accordance with our will.

Charan

SPNer
Mar 15, 2010
just found this quote in another thread that i really liked. i hope lee ji doesn't mind me using it here:

That's what I have always thought, but since I did not fully understand what was meant by Hukam/God's Will in Gurbani, I couldn't make it cohere with my belief. Very nicely put by Lee ji... Thank you! :cool:

sunmukh

(Previously Himmat Singh)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Ek OnKaar Sat Naam

Lee ji has put across the idea of giving one's head to God very well, and following God's will. Anybody doing this should not lose his/her way. It is difficult to do though, as worldly attachments are so strong for most people.

I would like add a little more from Japji Sahib:

God has established the earth for dharam. This implies good deeds and self-disciipline.

ਰਾਤੀ ਰਤੁ ੀ ਿਥਤੀ ਵਾਰ ॥

raatee rutee thitee vaar.

Nights, days, weeks and seasons;

ਪਵਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਅਗਨੀ ਪਾਤਾਲ ॥

pavan paanee agnee paataal.

wind, water, fire and the nether regions

ਿਤਸੁ ਿਵਿਚ ਧਰਤੀ ਥਾਿਪ ਰਖੀ ਧਰਮ ਸਾਲ ॥

tis vich Dhartee thaap rakhee Dharam saal.

-in the midst of these, He established the earth as a home for Dharma.

Even though the environment is in place to practice dharma, it does not imply everybody will do that.
If everyone did, then there would be no point ever worrying about any religion, or any deed, as we could then rely upon God to take care of all misdismeanours.We have to use our will, to do good deeds and to remember God as far as is possible. When 5 evils enter the scene, soon after birth, the battlefield changes, and we do "stupid" things whilst detracted from the main object, which is devotion to God.

Sat Sri Akal

Please forgive me for the wayward formatting; I haven't worked out the editiing features yet.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM