• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Desire To End Reincarnation?

Why desire to end reincarnation?

• To be united with the Creator.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • To leave the Creation.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • From what I've heard it sounds like the thing to do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
Nov 16, 2007
ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ ॥

Edited with translaiton. See below.

Please forgive me Lallihayer ji, but forum rules require the English as well as the Gurmukhi. Ozarks ji did not provide the translation either. however, the verse is in his signature line. Your point nonetheless is profound in the context of any discussion about reincarnation. Hope forum members will think about it. Narayanjot Kaur

ਕਬੀਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਇਕ ਸਿਉ ਕੀਏ ਆਨ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਇ ॥
kabeer preeth eik sio keeeae aan dhubidhhaa jaae ||
Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Baarah Maah, Raag Maajh, Ghar Chautha :

ਮੰਘਿਰਿ ਮਾਹਿ ਸੋਹੰਦੀਆ ਹਰਿ ਪਿਰ ਸੰਗਿ ਬੈਠੜੀਆਹ ਤਿਨ ਕੀ ਸੋਭਾ ਕਿਆ ਗਣੀ ਜਿ ਸਾਹਿਬਿ ਮੇਲੜੀਆਹ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਮਉਲਿਆ ਰਾਮ ਸਿਉ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਾਧ ਸਹੇਲੜੀਆਹ ਸਾਧ ਜਨਾ ਤੇ ਬਾਹਰੀ ਸੇ ਰਹਨਿ ਇਕੇਲੜੀਆਹ ਤਿਨ ਦੁਖੁ ਕਬਹੂ ਉਤਰੈ ਸੇ ਜਮ ਕੈ ਵਸਿ ਪੜੀਆਹ ਜਿਨੀ ਰਾਵਿਆ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਆਪਣਾ ਸੇ ਦਿਸਨਿ ਨਿਤ ਖੜੀਆਹ ਰਤਨ ਜਵੇਹਰ ਲਾਲ ਹਰਿ ਕੰਠਿ ਤਿਨਾ ਜੜੀਆਹ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਾਂਛੈ ਧੂੜਿ ਤਿਨ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਰਣੀ ਦਰਿ ਪੜੀਆਹ ਮੰਘਿਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਆਰਾਧਣਾ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਜਨਮੜੀਆਹ ॥੧੦॥

Mangẖir māhi sohanḏī▫ā har pir sang baiṯẖ▫ṛī▫āh. Ŧin kī sobẖā ki▫ā gaṇī jė sāhib melṛī▫āh. Ŧan man ma▫oli▫ā rām si▫o sang sāḏẖ sahelṛī▫āh. Sāḏẖ janā ṯe bāhrī se rahan ikelaṛī▫āh. Ŧin ḏukẖ na kabhū uṯrai se jam kai vas paṛī▫āh. Jinī rāvi▫ā parabẖ āpṇā se ḏisan niṯ kẖaṛī▫āh. Raṯan javehar lāl har kanṯẖ ṯinā jaṛī▫āh. Nānak bāʼncẖẖai ḏẖūṛ ṯin parabẖ sarṇī ḏar paṛī▫āh. Mangẖir parabẖ ārāḏẖaṇā bahuṛ na janamṛī▫āh. ||10||

In Maghar beautiful are they who sit with their Beloved God. How can their glory be measured whom the Lord blends with Himself? The body and mind of those who have the companionship of saints bloom with the Pervading God. They, who are without the society of the pious persons, dwell all alone. Their pain never departs and they fall under the clutches of the death's minister. They, who have enjoyed their Lord, are ever seen standing in His service. Their neck is set with the jewels, emeralds and rubies of God's Name. Nanak desires the dust of the feet of those who fall for shelter at the Lord's door. They, who meditate on the Master in the month of Maghar are not born again.

ਮੰਘਿਰਿ = ਮੰਘਰ ਵਿਚ। ਮਾਹਿ = ਮਹੀਨੇ ਵਿਚ। ਪਿਰ ਸੰਗਿ = ਪਤੀ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ। ਕਿਆ ਗਣੀ = ਮੈਂ ਕੀਹ ਦੱਸਾਂ? ਬਿਆਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋ ਸਕਦੀ। ਜਿ = ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ। ਸਾਹਿਬਿ = ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ। ਰਾਮ ਸਿਉ = ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ। ਸਾਧ ਸਹੇਲੜੀਆਹ ਸੰਗਿ = ਸਤ ਸੰਗੀਆਂ ਨਾਲ। ਬਾਹਰੀ = ਬਿਨਾ। ਤੇ = ਤੋਂ। ਦਿਸਹਿ = ਦਿੱਸਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ। ਖੜੀਆਹ = ਸਾਵਧਾਨ, ਸੁਚੇਤ। ਕੰਠਿ = ਗਲ ਵਿਚ (ਭਾਵ, ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ)। ਬਾਂਛੈ = ਮੰਗਦਾ ਹੈ। ਦਰਿ = ਦਰ ਉਤੇ। ਬਹੁੜਿ = ਮੁੜ, ਫਿਰ।੧੦।

ਮੱਘਰ (ਦੇ ਠੰਢੇ-ਮਿੱਠੇ) ਮਹੀਨੇ ਵਿਚ ਉਹ ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀਆਂ ਸੋਹਣੀਆਂ ਲੱਗਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਹਰੀ-ਪਤੀ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਬੈਠੀਆਂ ਹੁੰਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ। ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਮਾਲਕ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਨਾਲ ਮਿਲਾ ਲਿਆ, ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੋਭਾ ਬਿਆਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋ ਸਕਦੀ। ਸਤ-ਸੰਗੀ ਸਹੇਲੀਆਂ ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ (ਚਿੱਤ ਜੋੜ ਕੇ) ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਰੀਰ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਮਨ ਸਦਾ ਖਿੜਿਆ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਪਰ ਜੇਹੜੀਆਂ ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀਆਂ ਸਤਸੰਗੀਆਂ (ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ) ਤੋਂ ਵਾਂਜੀਆਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ, ਉਹ ਇਕੱਲੀਆਂ (ਛੁੱਟੜ) ਹੀ ਰਹਿੰਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ (ਜਿਵੇਂ ਸੜੇ ਹੋਏ ਤਿਲਾਂ ਦਾ ਬੂਟਾ ਪੈਲੀ ਵਿਚ ਨਿਖਸਮਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਇਕੱਲੀ ਨਿਖਸਮੀ ਜਿੰਦ ਨੂੰ ਵੇਖ ਕੇ ਕਾਮਾਦਿਕ ਕਈ ਵੈਰੀ ਆ ਕੇ ਘੇਰ ਲੈਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਤੇ) ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ (ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਉਪਜਿਆ) ਦੁੱਖ ਕਦੇ ਲਹਿੰਦਾ ਨਹੀਂ, ਉਹ ਜਮਾਂ ਦੇ ਵੱਸ ਪਈਆਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ। ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਜੀਵ-ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀਆਂ ਨੇ ਪਤੀ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਸਾਥ ਮਾਣਿਆ ਹੈ, ਉਹ (ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਹੱਲੇ ਵਲੋਂ) ਸਦਾ ਸੁਚੇਤ ਦਿੱਸਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ (ਵਿਕਾਰ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਉਤੇ ਚੋਟ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰ ਸਕਦੇ, ਕਿਉਂਕਿ) ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਗੁਣਾਨੁਵਾਦ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰੋਤੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ, ਜਿਵੇਂ ਹੀਰੇ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਤੇ ਲਾਲਾਂ ਦਾ ਗਲ ਵਿਚ ਪਾਇਆ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਨਾਨਕ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਸਤਸੰਗੀਆਂ ਦੇ ਚਰਨਾਂ ਦੀ ਧੂੜ ਮੰਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੇ ਪਏ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਵਿਚ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ। ਮੱਘਰ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕੀਤਿਆਂ ਮੁੜ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਦਾ ਗੇੜ ਨਹੀਂ ਵਾਪਰਦਾ।੧੦।

Ang. 135

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Bhai Vir Singh ji says that natural aim of any soul is to unite with the Infinite Creator. But only a pure soul bereft of any dark spots can submerge into the Infinite.

Naam Simran is the process of cleansing the soul. As the soul gets cleansed, a strange sense of pure joy or Chardi Kalan starts enveloping the person. Of co{censored} we being ordinary mortals do tend to slide back but Naam again puts one back on the track. It is a case of two steps forward and one step backward. It is a continuos process which ends only when the soul is completely cleansed. When the soul is completely cleansed, the persom becomes "Jeevan Mukat" or he has merged himself with the Supreme Being in his life time. It is not necessary to die to attain the merger.

We do not have to know, bother or worry about our past Karams or Births because we will not be able to know or understand it. Our aim in the present birth is only attain unity with Him by cleansing the soul completely.
There is no such thing as being punished or rewarded for the past karams in another janam. The aim is only to attain purity of soul.

I am unable to replicate here the wondrous process as described by Bhai Vir Singh ji. This has to be read and savoured or listened from a blessed person to have an impact.

[/FONT]

Ozarks

SPNer
Jun 20, 2009
Naam Simran is the process of cleansing the soul. As the soul gets cleansed, a strange sense of pure joy or Chardi Kalan starts enveloping the person.
[/FONT]
Harbansj24 Ji,
I find this portion of your reply quite interesting. Last week there was a day that I felt, well for lack of better words; ridiculously joyful/happy. I say "ridiculous" because there was not clear reason for the mood/feeling. A desire to smile, a true contentment and peace. Very much not like me most days, especially on a Monday/work day. The feeling was still there the next day, but perhaps a little subdued and then a little more so the next until "back to normal". The only thing I could think of to "blame it on" was a realization I had that weekend about the infinite compassion and patience of the Creator. It was very nice and fairly uncharacteristic. A co-worker even commented.
I just thought I'd share.

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Thanks Kiram ji..for yet another flight into sheer Bliss...among all the mundane argumentative posts...:happy:
Fateh Gyani Ji, there is so much Guru Maharaj has blessed us all with through every Shabad ji.. Here is another beautiful Shabad ji that am very fond of :

Guru Ram Das Ji in Raag Gujree :

ਰਾਗੁ ਗੂਜਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਜਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਤਪੁਰਖਾ ਬਿਨਉ ਕਰਉ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਸਿ ਹਮ ਕੀਰੇ ਕਿਰਮ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਕਰਿ ਦਇਆ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥੧॥

Rāg gūjrī mėhlā 4. Har ke jan saṯgur saṯpurkẖā bina▫o kara▫o gur pās. Ham kīre kiram saṯgur sarṇā▫ī kar ḏa▫i▫ā nām pargās. ||1||

Gujri Measure, Fourth Guru. O my Great Sat Guru, the accepted one of the Lord and the True Person, I make a supplication before Thee. I, an insect and a worm, have sought Thy shelter, mercifully bestow on me the light of God's Name, O True Guru!

ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਜਨ = ਹੇ ਹਰੀ ਦੇ ਸੇਵਕ! ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ = ਹੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ! ਸਤ ਪੁਰਖਾ = ਹੇ ਮਹਾ ਪੁਰਖ ਗੁਰੂ! ਬਿਨਉ = {विनय} ਬੇਨਤੀ। ਕਰਉ = ਕਰਉਂ, ਮੈਂ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ। ਗੁਰ ਪਾਸਿ = ਹੇ ਗੁਰੂ! ਤੇਰੇ ਪਾਸ। ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ = ਹੇ ਗੁਰੂ! ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਨ। ਕੀਰੇ ਕਿਰਮ = ਨਿਮਾਣੇ ਦੀਨ ਜੀਵ। ਪਰਗਾਸਿ = ਪਰਗਟ ਕਰ, ਚਾਨਣ ਕਰ।੧।

ਹੇ ਮਹਾਪੁਰਖ ਗੁਰੂ! ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਭਗਤ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ! ਮੈਂ, ਹੇ ਗੁਰੂ! ਤੇਰੇ ਅੱਗੇ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ-ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ (ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰ) ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ-ਚਾਨਣ ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰ। ਹੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ! ਮੈਂ ਨਿਮਾਣਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਨ ਆਇਆ ਹਾਂ।੧।

ਮੇਰੇ ਮੀਤ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਸਖਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਹਮਰੀ ਰਹਰਾਸਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

Mere mīṯ gurḏev mo ka▫o rām nām pargās. Gurmaṯ nām merā parān sakẖā▫ī har kīraṯ hamrī rahrās. ||1|| rahā▫o.

O My friend, the bright Guru! Illumine me with the Name of the Omnipresent Lord. The Name revealed to me by Guru's instruction is the friend of my very life and God's praise is my life's vocation. Pause.

ਮੋ ਕਉ = ਮੈਨੂੰ, ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰ। ਮੀਤ = ਹੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ! ਗੁਰਮਤਿ = ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮਤਿ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ (ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ)। ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਸਖਾਈ = ਜਿੰਦ ਦਾ ਸਾਥੀ। ਕੀਰਤਿ = ਸੋਭਾ, ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ। ਰਹਰਾਸਿ = ਰਾਹ ਦੀ ਰਾਸਿ, ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਦੇ ਸਫ਼ਰ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਖ਼ਰਚੀ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ ਗੁਰੂ! ਮੈਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ-ਚਾਨਣ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼। ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਦੱਸੀ ਮਤਿ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦ ਦਾ ਸਾਥੀ (ਬਣਿਆ ਰਹੇ), ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਮੇਰੀ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਦੇ ਸਫ਼ਰ ਲਈ ਰਾਸਿ-ਪੂੰਜੀ ਬਣੀ ਰਹੇ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਕੇ ਵਡ ਭਾਗ ਵਡੇਰੇ ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸਰਧਾ ਹਰਿ ਪਿਆਸ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਸਹਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਗੁਣ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥੨॥

Har jan ke vad bẖāg vadere jin har har sarḏẖā har pi▫ās. Har har nām milai ṯaripṯāsahi mil sangaṯ guṇ pargās. ||2||

The greatest good fortune is of the people of God who have faith in the Lord Master and thirst for God. By obtaining the Name of the Lord God they are satiated and by meeting the society of saints their virtues shine forth.

ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਸਹਿ = ਰੱਜ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ। ਮਿਲਿ = ਮਿਲ ਕੇ।੨।

ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਸੇਵਕਾਂ ਦੇ ਬੜੇ ਉੱਚੇ ਭਾਗ ਹਨ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਸਰਧਾ ਹੈ, ਖਿੱਚ ਹੈ। ਜਦੋਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨਾ ਵਲੋਂ) ਰੱਜ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ (ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਭਲੇ) ਗੁਣ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ।੨।

ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਤੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਜਮ ਪਾਸਿ ਜੋ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਿ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਆਏ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵੇ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵਾਸਿ ॥੩॥

Jin har har har ras nām na pā▫i▫ā ṯe bẖāghīṇ jam pās. Jo saṯgur saraṇ sangaṯ nahī ā▫e ḏẖarig jīve ḏẖarig jīvās. ||3||

They who have not gained God, God's elixir and God's Name are unfortunate and are near (handed over to) the minister of death. Fie on the life and accursed the hope of living of those who have not sought the society and protection of the Sat Guru.

ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵੇ = ਲਾਹਨਤ ਹੈ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਜੀਵੇ ਨੂੰ।੩।

ਪਰ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਸੁਆਦ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਇਆ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਿਆ, ਉਹ ਬਦ-ਕਿਸਮਤ ਹਨ, ਉਹ ਜਮਾਂ ਦੇ ਵੱਸ (ਪਏ ਹੋਏ ਸਮਝੋ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਤੇ ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ ਸਦਾ ਸਵਾਰ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ)। ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਉਂਦੇ, ਜੋ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਬੈਠਦੇ, ਲਾਹਨਤ ਹੈ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਜੀਊਣ ਨੂੰ, ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਜੀਊਣਾ ਫਿਟਕਾਰ-ਜੋਗ ਹੈ।੩।

ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਤਿਨ ਧੁਰਿ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਲਿਖਾਸਿ ਧਨੁ ਧੰਨੁ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਿਲਿ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥੪॥੪॥

Jin har jan saṯgur sangaṯ pā▫ī ṯin ḏẖur masṯak likẖi▫ā likẖās. Ḏẖan ḏẖan saṯsangaṯ jiṯ har ras pā▫i▫ā mil jan Nānak nām pargās. ||4||4||

The men of God, who have obtained the society of the True Guru, they have, on their fore-heads the pro-ordained writ. Blest, blest is the saints congregation from where God's elixir is procured. By meeting God's own, O Nanak! manifest becomes Lord's Name.

ਧੁਰਿ = ਧੁਰ ਤੋਂ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਵਲੋਂ। ਮਸਤਕਿ = ਮੱਥੇ ਉੱਤੇ। ਲਿਖਾਸਿ = ਲੇਖ {ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ 'ਜੀਵਾਸਿ' ਅਤੇ 'ਲਿਖਾਸਿ' ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ 'ਜੀਵੇ' ਅਤੇ 'ਲੇਖ' ਤੋਂ ਬਦਲੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ ਤੁਕਾਂਤ ਪੂਰਾ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ}। ਜਿਤੁ = ਜਿਸ ਵਿਚ, ਜਿਸ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ। ਮਿਲਿ ਜਨ = ਜਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਸੇਵਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ।੪।

ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਸੇਵਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਬੈਠਣਾ ਨਸੀਬ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ, (ਸਮਝੋ) ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਉਤੇ ਧੁਰੋਂ ਹੀ ਚੰਗਾ ਲੇਖ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਧੰਨ ਹੈ ਸਤਸੰਗ! ਧੰਨ ਹੈ ਸਤਸੰਗ! ਜਿਸ ਵਿਚ (ਬੈਠਿਆਂ) ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਿਥੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲਿਆਂ (ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ) ਨਾਮ ਆ ਵੱਸਦਾ ਹੈ।੪।੪।

Ang. 10

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
To me, this says it all

ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਤੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਜਮ ਪਾਸਿ ਜੋ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਿ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਨਹੀ ਆਏ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵੇ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵਾਸਿ ॥੩॥

Jin har har har ras nām na pā▫i▫ā ṯe bẖāghīṇ jam pās.Jo saṯgur saraṇ sangaṯ nahī ā▫e ḏẖarig jīve ḏẖarig jīvās. ||3||

They who have not gained God, God's elixir and God's Name are unfortunate and are near (handed over to) the minister of death.Fie on the life and accursed the hope of living of those who have not sought the society and protection of the Sat Guru.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Kiram ji:
Can you help me understand the following passage.
"In Maghar beautiful are they who sit with their Beloved God.How can their glory be measured whom the Lord blends with Himself?The body and mind of those who have the companionship of saints bloom with the Pervading God.They, who are without the society of the pious persons, dwell all alone.Their pain never departs and they fall under the clutches of the death's minister.They, who have enjoyed their Lord, are ever seen standing in His service.Their neck is set with the jewels, emeralds and rubies of God's Name.Nanak desires the dust of the feet of those who fall for shelter at the Lord's door.They, who meditate on the Master in the month of Maghar are not born again."

It begins describing a person who is pious ( have the companionship of saints ) and has long served God ( are ever seen standing in His service ). Is it then after this spiritual journey that he is then freed from rebirth?
Is that last sentence a metaphor for the final stage of life? Finally is this portion ( Their pain never departs and they fall under the clutches of the death's minister ) to mean they are to be reborn?

Peace
Satyaban

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Sadh Sangat,

Guru Fateh.

First of all I want to thank Kiram ji for posting the excellent Shabad that we chant everyday while doing Rehraas. I also want to thank her to add the interpretation in Punjabi and also the literal translation in English. However, it is sad to notice how the English literal translation has distorted the true message our 4th Guru is trying to give us.

Allow me to share my thoughts regarding this.

Guru Ram Das Ji in Raag Gujree :

ਰਾਗੁ ਗੂਜਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਜਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਤਪੁਰਖਾ ਬਿਨਉ ਕਰਉ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਸਿ ਹਮ ਕੀਰੇ ਕਿਰਮ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਕਰਿ ਦਇਆ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥੧॥

Rāg gūjrī mėhlā 4.Har ke jan saṯgur saṯpurkẖā bina▫o kara▫o gur pās.Ham kīre kiram saṯgur sarṇā▫ī kar ḏa▫i▫ā nām pargās. ||1||

Literal translation:
Gujri Measure, Fourth Guru.
O my Great Sat Guru, the accepted one of the Lord and the True Person, I make a supplication before Thee.I, an insect and a worm, have sought Thy shelter, mercifully bestow on me the light of God's Name, O True Guru!

Interpretation:
I plead to you my Satguru, please allow me to find connection with you, in me. Please take away the darkness that has set within. Please light my unlit amber.

I am like the lowest of the low worm, I have come to you, my Ik Ong Kaar to request you to bestow me with your grace so that I can grow from the within, with your blessing.

ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਜਨ = ਹੇ ਹਰੀ ਦੇ ਸੇਵਕ! ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ = ਹੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ! ਸਤ ਪੁਰਖਾ = ਹੇ ਮਹਾ ਪੁਰਖ ਗੁਰੂ! ਬਿਨਉ = {विनय} ਬੇਨਤੀ। ਕਰਉ = ਕਰਉਂ, ਮੈਂ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ। ਗੁਰ ਪਾਸਿ = ਹੇ ਗੁਰੂ! ਤੇਰੇ ਪਾਸ। ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ = ਹੇ ਗੁਰੂ! ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਨ। ਕੀਰੇ ਕਿਰਮ = ਨਿਮਾਣੇ ਦੀਨ ਜੀਵ। ਪਰਗਾਸਿ = ਪਰਗਟ ਕਰ, ਚਾਨਣ ਕਰ।੧।

ਹੇ ਮਹਾਪੁਰਖ ਗੁਰੂ! ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਭਗਤ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ! ਮੈਂ, ਹੇ ਗੁਰੂ! ਤੇਰੇ ਅੱਗੇ ਬੇਨਤੀ ਕਰਦਾ ਹਾਂ-ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰ ਕੇ (ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰ) ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ-ਚਾਨਣ ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰ। ਹੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ! ਮੈਂ ਨਿਮਾਣਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਨ ਆਇਆ ਹਾਂ।੧।

ਮੇਰੇ ਮੀਤ ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਸਖਾਈ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਹਮਰੀ ਰਹਰਾਸਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

Mere mīṯ gurḏev mo ka▫o rām nām pargās.Gurmaṯ nām merā parān sakẖā▫ī har kīraṯ hamrī rahrās. ||1|| rahā▫o.

Literal Translation:
O My friend, the bright Guru! Illumine me with the Name of the Omnipresent Lord.
The Name revealed to me by Guru's instruction is the friend of my very life and God's praise is my life's vocation. Pause.

Interpretation:
Oh, my mate, my friend, please give me the tools which I can use to breed goodness within so that I can share that with others. Make these tools my life partners. Bestow this inner GPS to me Ik Ong Kaar, so that I can lead my life in the right direction with your guidance- Rahao.

ਮੋ ਕਉ = ਮੈਨੂੰ, ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰ। ਮੀਤ = ਹੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ! ਗੁਰਮਤਿ = ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮਤਿ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ (ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ)। ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਸਖਾਈ = ਜਿੰਦ ਦਾ ਸਾਥੀ। ਕੀਰਤਿ = ਸੋਭਾ, ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ। ਰਹਰਾਸਿ = ਰਾਹ ਦੀ ਰਾਸਿ, ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਦੇ ਸਫ਼ਰ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਖ਼ਰਚੀ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ ਗੁਰੂ! ਮੈਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ-ਚਾਨਣ ਬਖ਼ਸ਼। ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਦੱਸੀ ਮਤਿ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹਰਿ-ਨਾਮ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦ ਦਾ ਸਾਥੀ (ਬਣਿਆ ਰਹੇ), ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਮੇਰੀ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਦੇ ਸਫ਼ਰ ਲਈ ਰਾਸਿ-ਪੂੰਜੀ ਬਣੀ ਰਹੇ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਕੇ ਵਡ ਭਾਗ ਵਡੇਰੇ ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸਰਧਾ ਹਰਿ ਪਿਆਸ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਸਹਿ ਮਿਲਿ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਗੁਣ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥੨॥

Har jan ke vad bẖāg vadere jin har har sarḏẖā har pi▫ās.Har har nām milai ṯaripṯāsahi mil sangaṯ guṇ pargās. ||2||

Literal Translation:
The greatest good fortune is of the people of God who have faith in the Lord Master and thirst for God.
By obtaining the Name of the Lord God they are satiated and by meeting the society of saints their virtues shine forth.

Interpretation:
Lucky and fortunate are those who are in love with Ik Ong Kaar,who are attracted towards The Source like iron towards The Magnet.

When they have found connection with The One through Sadh Sangat, then all their hunger is taken care of and their inner thirst is quenched. All their desires are fulfilled.

ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਾਸਹਿ = ਰੱਜ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ। ਮਿਲਿ = ਮਿਲ ਕੇ।੨।

ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਸੇਵਕਾਂ ਦੇ ਬੜੇ ਉੱਚੇ ਭਾਗ ਹਨ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਸਰਧਾ ਹੈ, ਖਿੱਚ ਹੈ। ਜਦੋਂ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਤ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਨਾ ਵਲੋਂ) ਰੱਜ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ (ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਭਲੇ) ਗੁਣ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ।੨।

Jin har har har ras nām na pā▫i▫ā ṯe bẖāghīṇ jam pās.Jo saṯgur saraṇ sangaṯ nahī ā▫e ḏẖarig jīve ḏẖarig jīvās. ||3||

Literal translation:
They who have not gained God, God's elixir and God's Name are unfortunate and are near (handed over to) the minister of death.
Fie on the life and accursed the hope of living of those who have not sought the society and protection of the Sat Guru.

Interpretation:
They are the unfortunate ones, who have failed to find the connection with Ik Ong Kaar and are the dead men walking. They are lost within themselves, are directionless and have created their own Hell on this Earth by ignoring the company of those- Sadh Sangat- who have found their inner GPS by loving Ik Ong Kaar.

ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵੇ = ਲਾਹਨਤ ਹੈ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਜੀਵੇ ਨੂੰ।੩।

ਪਰ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਸੁਆਦ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਇਆ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਿਲਿਆ, ਉਹ ਬਦ-ਕਿਸਮਤ ਹਨ, ਉਹ ਜਮਾਂ ਦੇ ਵੱਸ (ਪਏ ਹੋਏ ਸਮਝੋ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਉਤੇ ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ ਸਦਾ ਸਵਾਰ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ ਹੈ)। ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸਰਨ ਨਹੀਂ ਆਉਂਦੇ, ਜੋ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਬੈਠਦੇ, ਲਾਹਨਤ ਹੈ ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਜੀਊਣ ਨੂੰ, ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਜੀਊਣਾ ਫਿਟਕਾਰ-ਜੋਗ ਹੈ।੩।

ਜਿਨ ਹਰਿ ਜਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਤਿਨ ਧੁਰਿ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਲਿਖਾਸਿ ਧਨੁ ਧੰਨੁ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਸੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਿਲਿ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥੪॥੪॥

Jin har jan saṯgur sangaṯ pā▫ī ṯin ḏẖur masṯak likẖi▫ā likẖās.Ḏẖan ḏẖan saṯsangaṯ jiṯ har ras pā▫i▫ā mil jan Nānak nām pargās. ||4||4||

Literal translation:
The men of God, who have obtained the society of the True Guru, they have, on their fore-heads the pro-ordained writ.
Blest, blest is the saints congregation from where God's elixir is procured. By meeting God's own, O Nanak! manifest becomes Lord's Name.

Interpretation:
And those who have discovered the company of the fortunate lovers of Ik Ong Kaar, can be found with a unique glow on their faces as if their good fortune is written on their foreheads for all to see.

Hey Nanak, that Sangat is blessed with His grace through whom one can find The One within.

ਧੁਰਿ = ਧੁਰ ਤੋਂ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਵਲੋਂ। ਮਸਤਕਿ = ਮੱਥੇ ਉੱਤੇ। ਲਿਖਾਸਿ = ਲੇਖ {ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ 'ਜੀਵਾਸਿ' ਅਤੇ 'ਲਿਖਾਸਿ' ਲਫ਼ਜ਼ 'ਜੀਵੇ' ਅਤੇ 'ਲੇਖ' ਤੋਂ ਬਦਲੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ ਤੁਕਾਂਤ ਪੂਰਾ ਕਰਨ ਲਈ}। ਜਿਤੁ = ਜਿਸ ਵਿਚ, ਜਿਸ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ। ਮਿਲਿ ਜਨ = ਜਨਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ, ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਸੇਵਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲ ਕੇ।੪।

ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਸੇਵਕਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਬੈਠਣਾ ਨਸੀਬ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ, (ਸਮਝੋ) ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਮੱਥੇ ਉਤੇ ਧੁਰੋਂ ਹੀ ਚੰਗਾ ਲੇਖ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਧੰਨ ਹੈ ਸਤਸੰਗ! ਧੰਨ ਹੈ ਸਤਸੰਗ! ਜਿਸ ਵਿਚ (ਬੈਠਿਆਂ) ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਦਾ ਆਨੰਦ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਿਥੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਮਿਲਿਆਂ (ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ) ਨਾਮ ਆ ਵੱਸਦਾ ਹੈ।੪।੪।

Ang. 10

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Karim ji:
Can you help me understand the following passage.
"In Maghar beautiful are they who sit with their Beloved God.How can their glory be measured whom the Lord blends with Himself?The body and mind of those who have the companionship of saints bloom with the Pervading God.They, who are without the society of the pious persons, dwell all alone.Their pain never departs and they fall under the clutches of the death's minister.They, who have enjoyed their Lord, are ever seen standing in His service.Their neck is set with the jewels, emeralds and rubies of God's Name.Nanak desires the dust of the feet of those who fall for shelter at the Lord's door.They, who meditate on the Master in the month of Maghar are not born again."

It begins describing a person who is pious ( have the companionship of saints ) and has long served God ( are ever seen standing in His service ). Is it then after this spiritual journey that he is then freed from rebirth?
Is that last sentence a metaphor for the final stage of life? Finally is this portion ( Their pain never departs and they fall under the clutches of the death's minister ) to mean they are to be reborn?

Peace
Satyaban

Satyaban ji, with due respect ji and with my "limited understanding" i have tried to explain the above Shabad in my own words ji.. I do believe as Guru Maharaj has repeatedly stated that in the company of the "Sadh"
, one is freed from the cycle of birth and death Ji.. Here is my understanding of the paawan Shabad of Manghar... Kindly correct me wherever i have misinterpreted or failed Ji :

Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Maanjh :
In the month of Manghar, those soul brides look beautiful, happy who are
united with their husband Lord.. who have Him beside them..
Those soul brides whom the Lord unites with Him; their beauty cannot be
spoken about or expressed..

In the company of sadh sangat, while their minds are imbued in the praise
and love for the Akaalpurakh, their body and minds are always rejoicing and
happy.. However, those soul brides who are without the sangat of the sadh, they are alone .. In such a situation those without their husband Lord are surrouded by the five evil forces, and their pain never leaves them as they are drowned in the clutches of death..

However those soul brides who have been blessed with the company of the
husband Lord, they are free from the five evil forces as they are so imbued in the praise of the Akaalpurakh.. The name of the Akaalpurakh is the jewel that these soul brides are bedecked with...

Guru Nanak Dev Ji asks for the dust of such sadh sangat's feet, who are
always imbued in the Name of the Lord... who's minds are forever at the feet of the Akaalpurakh... In the month of Manghar, those who remember [who's minds are imbued in the love of the] Lord, they do not have to come and go as in re-incarnation... They are freed from the cycle of birth and death...

:wah:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
This is my view:

When we are in animal form we are obsessed with Kaam, Krodh, Moh, Lobh and Hankaar. It is possible to be human but still act like an animal when we are like this.

Union and realisation of Waheguru free's us from the pain that these 5 thieves begin.

If you want, I want to free myself from this pain.

Sri Granth: Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Page 2

ਫੇਰਿ ਕਿ ਅਗੈ ਰਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਦਿਸੈ ਦਰਬਾਰੁ
फेरि कि अगै रखीऐ जितु दिसै दरबारु ॥
Fer kė agai rakẖī▫ai jiṯ ḏisai ḏarbār.
So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?

ਮੁਹੌ ਕਿ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਬੋਲੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਸੁਣਿ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ
मुहौ कि बोलणु बोलीऐ जितु सुणि धरे पिआरु ॥
Muhou kė bolaṇ bolī▫ai jiṯ suṇ ḏẖare pi▫ār.
What words can we speak to evoke His Love?

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ
अम्रित वेला सचु नाउ वडिआई वीचारु ॥
Amriṯ velā sacẖ nā▫o vadi▫ā▫ī vīcẖār.
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

ਕਰਮੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਪੜਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ
करमी आवै कपड़ा नदरी मोखु दुआरु ॥
Karmī āvai kapṛā naḏrī mokẖ ḏu▫ār.
By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.

ਨਾਨਕ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ॥੪॥
नानक एवै जाणीऐ सभु आपे सचिआरु ॥४॥
Nānak evai jāṇī▫ai sabẖ āpe sacẖiār. ||4||
O Nanak, know this well: the True One Himself is All. ||4||

ਥਾਪਿਆ ਜਾਇ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੋਇ
थापिआ न जाइ कीता न होइ ॥
Thāpi▫ā na jā▫e kīṯā na ho▫e.
He cannot be established, He cannot be created.

ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਸੋਇ
आपे आपि निरंजनु सोइ ॥
Āpe āp niranjan so▫e.
He Himself is Immaculate and Pure.

ਜਿਨਿ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਾਨੁ
जिनि सेविआ तिनि पाइआ मानु ॥
Jin sevi▫ā ṯin pā▫i▫ā mān.
Those who serve Him are honored.

ਨਾਨਕ ਗਾਵੀਐ ਗੁਣੀ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ
नानक गावीऐ गुणी निधानु ॥
Nānak gāvī▫ai guṇī niḏẖān.
O Nanak, sing of the Lord, the Treasure of Excellence.

ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ
गावीऐ सुणीऐ मनि रखीऐ भाउ ॥
Gāvī▫ai suṇī▫ai man rakẖī▫ai bẖā▫o.
Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.

ਦੁਖੁ ਪਰਹਰਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਘਰਿ ਲੈ ਜਾਇ
दुखु परहरि सुखु घरि लै जाइ ॥
Ḏukẖ parhar sukẖ gẖar lai jā▫e.
Your pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to your home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਜੋਰੁ ਜੁਗਤੀ ਛੁਟੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ
जोरु न जुगती छुटै संसारु ॥
Jor na jugṯī cẖẖutai sansār.
No power to find the way to escape from the world.

Ang 7

ਜਿਸੁ ਹਥਿ ਜੋਰੁ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਸੋਇ
जिसु हथि जोरु करि वेखै सोइ ॥
Jis hath jor kar vekẖai so▫e.
He alone has the Power in His Hands. He watches over all.

ਨਾਨਕ ਉਤਮੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਕੋਇ ॥੩੩॥
नानक उतमु नीचु न कोइ ॥३३॥
Nānak uṯam nīcẖ na ko▫e. ||33||
O Nanak, no one is high or low. ||33||

ਰਾਤੀ ਰੁਤੀ ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰ
राती रुती थिती वार ॥
Rāṯī ruṯī thiṯī vār.
Nights, days, weeks and seasons;

ਪਵਣ ਪਾਣੀ ਅਗਨੀ ਪਾਤਾਲ
पवण पाणी अगनी पाताल ॥
Pavaṇ pāṇī agnī pāṯāl.
wind, water, fire and the nether regions -

ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਧਰਤੀ ਥਾਪਿ ਰਖੀ ਧਰਮ ਸਾਲ
तिसु विचि धरती थापि रखी धरम साल ॥
Ŧis vicẖ ḏẖarṯī thāp rakẖī ḏẖaram sāl.
in the midst of these, He established the earth as a home for Dharma.

ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਜੀਅ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਕੇ ਰੰਗ
तिसु विचि जीअ जुगति के रंग ॥
Ŧis vicẖ jī▫a jugaṯ ke rang.
Upon it, He placed the various species of beings.

ਤਿਨ ਕੇ ਨਾਮ ਅਨੇਕ ਅਨੰਤ
तिन के नाम अनेक अनंत ॥
Ŧin ke nām anek ananṯ.
Their names are uncounted and endless.

ਕਰਮੀ ਕਰਮੀ ਹੋਇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ
करमी करमी होइ वीचारु ॥
Karmī karmī ho▫e vīcẖār.
By their deeds and their actions, they shall be judged.

ਸਚਾ ਆਪਿ ਸਚਾ ਦਰਬਾਰੁ
सचा आपि सचा दरबारु ॥
Sacẖā āp sacẖā ḏarbār.
God Himself is True, and True is His Court.

ਤਿਥੈ ਸੋਹਨਿ ਪੰਚ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ
तिथै सोहनि पंच परवाणु ॥
Ŧithai sohan pancẖ parvāṇ.
There, in perfect grace and ease, sit the self-elect, the self-realized Saints.

Last edited by a moderator:

Embers

SPNer
Aug 10, 2009
EU
I feel the answer is satisfied in the response by Harbans24 Ji. If Harbans24 Ji could point me to the name of the work by Bhai Vir Singh ji which elaborates on the process, I would be grateful to read further, my searches have not been useful.

Here is a very simple overview of action and reincarnation. No doubt in so few words this leads to further questions and could be elaborated on in more depth, but I would like to offer it here should it be of interest to others, who like me, are coming to understand more each day:

Action
1) All actions (karma) have an effect or consequence
2) We have the ability to act, but rarely the ability to determine the outcome of our actions. The analogy of an arrow leaving the bow is useful as one cannot stop the arrow of desire once it leaves our bow nor insure it hits the right target.
3) Ego and/or identification with our bodies and mind is the cause for most self interested desires e.g. more wealth, property, rewards from helping others.
4) Actions based on desire have a consequence which we must bear, for better or for worse.
5) To avoid the consequences of our actions we must overcome ego and self-centred desires. Uniting with God (moksha) is the solution. Once we are One with God our apparent actions become spontaneous based on love with God and hence do not bear consequences.
6) A beneficial desire is a desire to break the cycle, as this desire can help lead us to God and freedom.

Reincarnation
1) If we accept everything is one, then everything is recycled in the One-ness of the Creator. Actions are no different; the effects of our actions exist beyond the body because they exist beyond our mortal deaths. Some say our souls are reunited with our karma (consequence of past life actions).
2) Likewise our souls continue to exist and gain a new body/mind on rebirth.
3) Karma can account for why our bodies/minds are in the situation in which we find ourselves i.e. rich or poor, healthy or sick etc
4) To break the cycle and return to the creator, we must unite and become one with God (moksha).

Kind regards, Ambers.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Kiram ji

That you very much for providing for your understanding of the shabad as I requested while proving mine quite wrong. Since I make no claim of knowledge of scripture that is not my own I doubly in your debt.

Peace
Satyaban

Satyaban ji,

Guru Fateh.

As mentioned before in my posts to you, SGGS is not any one's private or monopolised scripture unlike the Hindu scriptures which were not allowed to be read by anyone else but the Brahmins. SGGS is for all to savour. Goodness is like the scent of a flower which emits itself in all directions sans bias. So when you say it is not your scripture, you are misleading yourself. As said before, knowledge is everyone's friend. It is a personal choice of the individual to become open minded or remain parochial and the latter is what breeds bias and preconcieved superficial notions.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Ps: I am still waiting for your response about the questions I posed you about your religion. Who wrote Lord Shiva's story and when and why was it written and what kind of documentation is there to back the story up?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Is there a Lord Shiva on Mars?

What would you see if you could fly over Mars in a plane and look out the window?
art.mars.crater.nasa.jpg
Victoria Crater as seen by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The crater is about half a mile in diameter.

It must be something like the thousands of curious, intriguing and spectacular images taken by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera mounted on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.
The University of Arizona, Tucson, which operates HiRISE, has just released a new batch of these photos taken in the last several months.
You can check out the full set here.
They reveal an alien landscape of craters, valleys, ridges, channels, weird surface patterns and other features in incredible detail.
Take the stunning image on the left, which shows the muffin-cup-like Victoria Crater, a site once explored by the Mars rover Opportunity.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I don't get the connection to Shiva...:confused::confused::confused: At some point did Ek Oankaar give out specific zones of influence to Shiva and the others - Mars for example. Or are you saying that Shiva can be sighted on Mars :confused::confused::confused: Very confusing.

You know I am one of those slow learners who cannot wrap her mind around the possibility that Shiva is/was a manifestation of the Sat Guru. So more details would be needed. (and hee hee, not more backchannel emails). :)

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Namaste

I as some others are a bit confused so I will allow myself to wander a bit.

Namjap ji: I have said before that "???? ?????* is all things seen and unseen and the spaces inbetween

* insert whatever name for The Creator you wish.:yes:

Tejwant ji:

I don't know why you repeat your question when I am sure you know the answer. Are you a lawyer? Your question had no place in our discussions that I could see. I have also been through this drill with Muslims as well.

"Ps: I am still waiting for your response about the questions I posed you about your religion. Who wrote Lord Shiva's story and when and why was it written and what kind of documentation is there to back the story up?"

Also you said:

"As mentioned before in my posts to you, SGGS is not any one's private or monopolised scripture unlike the Hindu scriptures which were not allowed to be read by anyone else but the Brahmins. SGGS is for all to savour. Goodness is like the scent of a flower which emits itself in all directions sans bias. So when you say it is not your scripture, you are misleading yourself. As said before, knowledge is everyone's friend. It is a personal choice of the individual to become open minded or remain parochial and the latter is what breeds bias and preconcieved superficial notions."

The first sentence of the above quote raises the question what century are you living in? More importantly it reveals a contempt for my faith that you have been trying to hide and frankly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Your tactics are not new all being done with a smile on your face and the mantra "this is how we learn." Your "This is how we learn" is really let me tell you.
What's more I don't want to be converted.

Peace
Satyaban

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM