• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Are We Not Allowed To Cut Hair When It's Ok To Cut Nails, Since Both Are Created By God?

heoric

SPNer
Sep 14, 2012
Did you know human hair is used in Pizza, bread and flour to bind the flour together. Human Hair is collected from Barber shops and sold to the food giants to convert this into a binding agent. Google this and you can read about this

Does your daily bread contain human hair?
Justin Rowlatt -
10 Jan 07, 02:50 PM

I don’t mean one of your stray locks that fell into the butter. What I want to know is whether amino acids produced from human hair were used to process the flour that went to make that piece of toast you wolfed down on the way to the bus stop.

It sounds unthinkable doesn’t it? But since I became a vegan on New Year’s day I’ve developed a keen interest in what goes into the food I eat and I’ve discovered that a food additive which is sometimes produced from human hair can be used as an additive in some baked goods.

But first, the veganism. I am not becoming a vegan out of high principle. The idea is to test the claim made by a number of people who have emailed in to insist that becoming a vegan significantly reduces one’s impact on the environment.

I will be vegan for all of January. So my new diet did not preclude me eating Ned the Newsnight turkey

I am happy to report that Ned was as tasty as he was ethical. My family gnawed our way through his ample carcass over the course of a full week. We ate Ned roast on the big day, then sandwiched, curried, as a supreme and finally in a tasty soup. Then, as the last few slices of Ned grew an extravagant mould in the bottom of our fridge, the New Year turned and my diet became completely meat and dairy free.

It is not easy. I’m not just cutting meat and fish out of my diet. Vegans don’t eat any animal products including milk, eggs and honey. So will cutting out all animal products reduce my carbon footprint?

I need a bit of persuading about the bees but cows certainly produce an impressive quantity of greenhouse gases. I cited the extraordinary figure of up to 500 litres of methane a day per animal when I announced this project in December.

At a conference last week the environment secretary David Milliband pointed out that "the livestock sector generates more greenhouse gas emissions than transport". Agriculture is reckoned to account for 7% of all greenhouse gas emissions, about the same as aviation.

And methane isn’t the only issue. It is claimed that one acre of arable crops can produce enough food for up to 20 people. Turn that field over to beef production and it will feed just one person.

Not only that, raising animals is a lot more carbon intensive than growing vegetables. David Pimentel, an ecologist from Cornell University, has calculated that animal protein production requires more than eight times as much fossil-fuel energy than plant protein yet yields proteins only 1.4 times as nutritious for humans.

That’s the average. When you look at individual sectors the figures are even more startling. Take beef, for example. Using US Department of Agriculture figures he found that beef production requires an energy input to protein output of 54:1 (as well as 100,000 litres of water per kilogram of meat).

Vegetarians shouldn’t feel too smug, though. Milk protein has a ratio of 17:1. In fact, rather depressingly the most efficient form of animal production – perhaps not surprisingly – is battery chickens. Pimentel finds that broiler chickens have a ratio of energy input to protein output of just 4:1.
My problem has been eradicating all these inefficient animal proteins from my diet. Take my very first day of vegan living, New Year’s Day.

I hadn’t prepared very well and hadn’t got any margarine in. The local corner shop, a Londis, was open and they stock a good range so I wasn’t too worried. But as I worked my way through the eight or so different varieties of margarine I was amazed to find that every single one contained milk or dairy products in some form.

It makes you realise just how common the use of animal products in food is. Before I became a vegan I would eat animal products in every single meal. Indeed the Vegan Society points out that some vegans consider tap water unacceptable because it contains chemicals that have been tested on animals.

I am not going that far but I have certainly developed a mania for reading food labels and there are all sorts of unexpected animal additives.

Most people know that gelatine is produced from animal skin and bones and that the rennet used in some cheeses comes from calves stomachs. But did you know that bone char (from cow bones) is still occasionally used to whiten some sugars or that some wines and many beers (particularly real ales) include isinglass – a substance obtained from the swim bladders of fish?

Which brings me back to the possibility that human hair may be used in bread. A vegetarian friend alerted me to the existence of an animal-based flour additive called L-Cysteine. It is an amino acid which is used as a flour improver. It is known as E920 and is permitted for use in all biscuits, breads and cakes except those that claim to be wholemeal.

The problem for a would-be vegan like me is that traditionally L-Cysteine is produced from feathers, pig bristles and sometimes even human hair. These days L-Cysteine can also be produced synthetically but apparently human hair remains one of the richest sources of this amino acid – it makes up about 14% of your hair - and there is a small industry in China making the additive from hair clippings.

There’s even a paper on the web written by a Rabbi about whether L-Cysteine from human hair is kosher. Apparently it is – so long as the hair in question was not harvested from dead bodies.

So how commonly is L-Cysteine used? My vegetarian friend claims that the problem with E920 is that – even when it is used – it doesn’t have to be listed in the ingredients. She says that’s because it is broken down in the baking process so the manufacturers argue that doesn’t constitute an ingredient.

That is something the Food Standards Agency flatly denies. It says that L-Cysteine must always be labelled. Indeed, the industry says the reason you so rarely see E920 on labels is that these days it is very rarely used (apparently it was much more common fifteen years ago). The industry also says that the only L-Cysteine their members would use is the synthetic variety.

That is a little odd because according to the Food Standards Agency the European regulation specifies that only L-Cysteine produced from duck and chicken feathers or from pig bristles can be used. That means that, so long as your daily bread was baked in Europe, it almost certainly does not include human hair.

But it leaves me a little confused. If British bakers are using synthetic L-Cysteine are they breaking EU guidelines? It is hard to get a straight answer because the biscuit makers told me it would be added when the flour is milled and the millers say it something the bakers would add.

So if anyone can put this hairy issue to bed once and for all I’d be very grateful. And while I am on the subject, if anyone knows of any other animal-based (or human-based) food ingredients an embryonic vegan like myself needs to steer clear of please do tell me.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Anmeetji

Welcome to the forum, very nice informative post, if you could try and write in normal fashion rather than textspeak, that would be great as many of us here are quite advanced in years and have trouble reading it!

:mundahug:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Anmeet ji

I want to back harry ji's words. SMS code/language used for texting is a language unto itself and just close enough to English to make reading it a burden.

English is the official language of the forum. Please write your posts in English.

Otherwise, it is good to see you posting and I hope you will do so again. Welcome to SPN.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
SAT SRI AKAAL,

All these issues

1. Hair or No hair
2. Liquor or No Liquor
3. Flesh or No Flesh
4. Veg or Non Veg.

are non conclusive to followers of faith.
Individual's mind shall be free from such discussion and arguments,
and follow path with faith
and unison of mind with GURU's teaching.

Arguing on such topics is foolishness,

and

"GURSIKH" shall not discuss/argue on such topics,
it is more of personal faith and belief.

Free mind attached to "GURU's" bani is righteous living.
Rest is all human and man made thoughts (MANMAT)

"FREE MIND" is achievement, one is still thinking of right and wrong if mind
is arguing.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
SAT SRI AKAAL,

All these issues

1. Hair or No hair
2. Liquor or No Liquor
3. Flesh or No Flesh
4. Veg or Non Veg.

are non conclusive to followers of faith.
Individual's mind shall be free from such discussion and arguments,
and follow path with faith
and unison of mind with GURU's teaching.

Arguing on such topics is foolishness,

and

"GURSIKH" shall not discuss/argue on such topics,
it is more of personal faith and belief.

Free mind attached to "GURU's" bani is righteous living.
Rest is all human and man made thoughts (MANMAT)

"FREE MIND" is achievement, one is still thinking of right and wrong if mind
is arguing.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

where does that leave those of us that are not Gursikh that are trying to align ourselves with such?

If you are devoid of such arguments, then you have reached the state of Gursikh, my heart is full for you, if you have not reached such a state, kindly enlighten the rest of us where you stand on the above 4 topics, and with what ease you deal with such. It would certainly help those that are not used to your writing style to decipher what exactly you are stating

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

As a reverse question, often for self, to clear pathways of my mind

1. If everyone human shall do same than I accept or follow
2. If no one accepts than I will still follow

If answer to self
is no to 1st and yes to 2nd,
its clear answer to self.

Faith is unconditional, with no argument
but a clear reflect of
thought and action.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

own mind is origin of all controversies,
which manifest outside as discussions

Understand MIND function inside own body.
It plans, reasons, justify etc. and make one's act but have no understanding of
right or wrong,
intellect gives direction of right or wrong
Feed "Guru's Bani" to intellect.

Righteous Path are difficult, be addict to righteousness.

One smoking addict was advised to addict,
to stop smoking, he said well you will also die one day.

This shall be spirit for addiction of "RIGHT".

Faith is higher order beyond mind.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Feb 28, 2010
Re: Why are we allowed to cut nails but not hair?

Skeptic thinker ji,

Guru Fateh.

There is no need to get upset. It is not only your right to ask questions. it is everyone's. No one got upset except you for the reasons only known to you.

You know why I wrote homosapiens rather than humans. If you do not understand the difference then allow me to explain that to you. By homosapiens I meant earlier humans. So, my question still stands.

What kind of logical answer are you looking for?

No one is stopping you to cut your nails if that is your question. As far as hair is concerned, it is a tradition and it is a natural way the way we were created. Your assumption about long beards not able to work at Intel or in a kitchen is simply wrong.

The reasons we keep hair and men use turbans is to stand out and to be outstanding. I have no idea how much you know about Sikhi. In the day of Guru Nanak, only Brahmins or the Mughal emperors and others in high positions could wear turbans. Guru Nanak defied that and created a new school of thought by using turbans and keeping hair as mundan was the Hindu custom where the child was supposed to have his/her head shaved.

In case you did not know, there are two kinds of skeptics, the scientific ones and the religious ones

Definition - Scientific skepticism - Religious skepticism

So, I would like to know which skepticism you have in mind and as I said before that your question is not to be satisfied with an answer but be a devil's advocate, which in other words is the one who wants to remain skeptic-doubtful.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

Well I am not a skeptic, however as someone stated that we are born perfect may want to extend what they r trying to say. Children are born with cancer and all other sort of diseases, sure u can put philosophical explanation as to why that's the case but it's not going to be true? Please explain

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Well I am not a skeptic, however as someone stated that we are born perfect may want to extend what they r trying to say. Children are born with cancer and all other sort of diseases, sure u can put philosophical explanation as to why that's the case but it's not going to be true? Please explain

do you want to tell him he is not perfect?

Attachments

• v2pg22-selling+out-pa.jpg
    v2pg22-selling+out-pa.jpg
    19.2 KB · Reads: 266
Feb 28, 2010

do you want to tell him he is not perfect?

Ofcourse he is not , u give him the option as to if he will be happier being a normal person physically with the same brain and answer would be yes.

That's my point , keeping hair doesn't make one perfect. It's what u feel about urself... U exactly proved my point..

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

That's my point , keeping hair doesn't make one perfect. It's what u feel about urself... U exactly proved my point..

Well, it is never argued that keeping hair makes you 'perfect'. When you are arguing on theology you shouldn't just make up things.
Any claim of 'perfection' would be sheer arrogance or Haumay. That would defeat the very philosophy of the Amrit vows.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

Ofcourse he is not , u give him the option as to if he will be happier being a normal person physically with the same brain and answer would be yes.

Has it ever occured to you that he may not have pushed his brain as far as he had if he had been able bodied? of course we will never know, but he has led a full life, marriage, career, i think he , and the world consider him pretty perfect.

Where do you draw the line on so called imperfection? I have a pot belly and thin arms and legs, would my life be better if I were in proportion? My last wife had a chest that entered the room way before she did, it ruined her life, all people did was talk to her chest, would her life be better if she was perfect?

As for hair making one perfect, I have never heard of anything more ridiculous, the hair in my view, is a respect for Creation and a respect for the words of the tenth master, I do not understand your fascination with it, if Sikhs choose to honour Creator and the words of Guru Gobind Singhji, and they find honour, peace, love in such, what does it have to do with you or anyone, and why should they justify it to a third party? We could waste time asking why Hasidic Jews have ringlets, or black hats, we could sit by the roadside and mock and question every person who looks different, both your argument and reasoning seem to be a complete waste of everyones time, including your own.

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Experience "Haume"

Longing for more space (big house/ big factory, big institution)
Longing for higher position (Vice President/ President/ Director)
Longing for higher education/ energy

Triggers of "Haume"

Higher position
Higher space
Higher energy (youth/ finance etc)

Finally

"Haume" reflection is

I am the best, and everyone shall be like me.

Aim of developed Human mind is lost in "Haume"

Discussion of "Falsehood"

"Guru's Bani" Says

Higher Position, Youth Higher space shall not be "Sikh" way to deal with "Haume"

Most of educated cause of action revolve around this thought of mind

but "GURU'S BANI"

say's ultimate longing is "RESPECT" which has no requirement of all above,
and is required
In the absence of respect for each other brother/brother brother/sister father/son mother/daughter and for other religion etc all above is need for mind satisfaction.

and "SIKH" way of life is

"Ji Kaho and Ji Kahao"

Mutual respect for each other.

Waheguru ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2013
Sat Sri Akal,
I have a question regarding the keeping of the kesh.
I understand that we are not supposed to cut any hair on the body, but what about bleaching, highlighting, dyeing hair.
I mean technically it is not cutting the hair, however it can be argued that these chemicals used to alter the color of one's hair is damaging.
So my question is this:
Is bleaching/coloring hair just as bad as cutting/shaving/waxing hair?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Sat Sri Akal,
I understand that we are not supposed to cut any hair on the body, but what about bleaching, highlighting, dyeing hair.
I mean technically it is not cutting the hair, however it can be argued that these chemicals used to alter the color of one's hair is damaging.
So my question is this:

dying hair is also a no no, particularly men and beards, for some reason..

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
dying hair is also a no no, particularly men and beards, for some reason..

No experience of hair colour, but some learning of skin colour

Nature has give best to most of us to live and survive.

But humans are not satisfied with there own looks, when one looks in the mirror, one want's to look better, it leads to fashion, cosmetics etc
all this human action has born from

colour discrimination,
disregard of old etc.

MELANIN is responsible for colour of skin, people living in southern part of earth receives more sunlight, they have natural dark colour, so do near to equator have wheatish, and to upper regions of earth have white colour.

But mind without awareness of true nature
human use lotions to make skin white,

though whites have to use sun screen lotion to protect from sun burn.

Understand Nature or Own Mind to free "MIND" from such thoughts
Do mirror meditation,
STAND Before Mirror
Spend Time to resolve looks and make mind free for receiving "GURU's BANI"

Live Natural, Live Wise
Stay happy and healthy.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Sat Sri Akal,
So my question is this:

If one purpose of keeping kesh is to show respect for the way our Creator made us, the question answers itself.

Honestly, keeping kesh is the easiest of any religious requirement, ever. Leave it alone and it grows on its own. All we need do is keep the hair clean and tidy. Conditioner and hair oil are OK because they help keep hair healthy. All that other stuff is just haumai anyway, something to be avoided.

Of course, that's easy for me to say. I'm 61 and still no grey hairs. And mentioning that is haumai, too. Sneaky stuff, this haumai. :kaurfacepalm:

BTW, keeping kesh doesn't make me perfect, but I'm closer to perferction with it than without it. :winkingkudi:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Understanding "Haume" or "EGO" and performing action to satisfy "EGO" to make min free of thought's

Science has explored brain, heart, lungs, stomach etc. and functions related to organs
One can see and experience through models, picture, video etc.

But what about software, which is the cause of action for operation of hardware.

EGO, JEALOUSY, DUALITY, ANGER, etc are the routines of mind programming.

Religious scripts give the glimpse of mind programming.

RAVAN with 10 heads, i.e five positive and five negative emotion, these head of emotion appears every moment in one's life.
Daily human heads with anger, attacment, lust, poses, ego, love, compassion, de attached, appears and disappears within same human body.

Duality lying down in our mind as bheeshm pitama receiveing duality (DUBIDHA), and always deciding of right and wrong ways, never dying process of mind.

As bird "CHATRIK" in "GURU's BANI" who has oceans, rivers, ponds of water to drink, but due to hole in his neck, "CHATRIK" cannot consume water from these source,
and has to rely on "Rain" event of "Nature" to quench his thirst.

So do lot of thoughts in this world of emotion

but

one "MIND" shall take in thought of "GURU's BANI"

Rest is man made (MANMAT) and rejected thought.

to keep hairs or not, to dye hairs or not,

keep mind free,

Perspective of religion is different.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM