• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Are We Not Allowed To Cut Hair When It's Ok To Cut Nails, Since Both Are Created By God?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
There is only one reason for a Sikh to grow hair in my humble opinion, and that is Love. It is pointless trying to be logical and scientific about love

and YES..LOVE is BLIND and DEAF..so we long haired sikhs should STOP justifying..making logical reasons, explanations etc etc..absolutely NO REASON except LOVE LOVE LOVE..BLIND and DEAF LOVE...

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
There is only one reason for a Sikh to grow hair in my humble opinion, and that is Love. It is pointless trying to be logical and scientific about love

Yes, that hits it exactly. mundahug kudihug kaurhug (sorry, no singh hug)

Of course, that statement might be clarified a bit. Love of whom or what, for example.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Maiji

Well, in my opinion, it is the recognition that Guru Gobind Singh wished us to behave and act like him. He gave us a uniform that epitomised the way he carried himself, and part of that was the hair, so I would guess it is the love for the Guru as teacher. I guess this also clarifies an answer for those that think we do it for God, I do not think we do, I think it is for Guru, and ultimately for ourselves, as Khalsa, we are Guru, and Guru is us.

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
It's a good question & rightly answered by some one above that its the 'hukum' of Waheguru so we have to follow it. But for those non enlightened souls questions do come in mind & the same question rose in my mind too some years back. I have been a keen reader of books authored by seasoned Sants strictly following Gurbani & in one of those the reason of not cutting hairs is the following -

a) It's the 'Hukum' of Waheguru & without any quest we are supposed to follow it.
b) Hairs on body have a scientific reason as well. It's a lengthy topic & anyone in medical
field should know the importance of hairs on body. And Guru Granth Sahib is stands true
in each & every aspect of science unlike other books.
c) As far as nails are concerned scientifically grown nails are useless & in turn an invitation
to various diseases.

Even if we look at the Hindu Gods & Goddess, they always had grown hairs. Saying this am not comparing any religion but just bringing into notice that there is an importance of hairs on the body & for one reason or the other it's beneficial for humans.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh !!

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Maiji

Well, in my opinion, it is the recognition that Guru Gobind Singh wished us to behave and act like him. He gave us a uniform that epitomised the way he carried himself, and part of that was the hair, so I would guess it is the love for the Guru as teacher. I guess this also clarifies an answer for those that think we do it for God, I do not think we do, I think it is for Guru, and ultimately for ourselves, as Khalsa, we are Guru, and Guru is us.

Would I be stretching it too far to say that it is also love of my natural form? Women, especially, are taught to detest the way we are naturally. I think one of the gifts of Guru ji is the knowledge and acceptance of our naturalness.

BTW, I have always loved beards and now I am beginning to grow a beard. Still a bit straggly, but it's a start. And I am not wearing lipstick. My lips are just a bit chapped.

Attachments

• my beard600and.png
    my beard600and.png
    226 KB · Reads: 231

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Maiji

After having sacrificed his FOUR SONS and about 700 mureeds, when the Muslim Pir Budhu Shaha met Guru Gobind Singh after Battle of bahangannee..Guru Ji asked him what can i Gift you ??? The Pir replied..Give Me your Kangha with bits of hair inside it....THAT GIFT is invaluable for me..and the descendants of Pir still have that wooden Kangha and Guru jis hair in it. That is LOVE.
The PIR fought on Guru Jis side against the MUGHALS and HINDU Rajas .

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Is it a coincidence that almost nil research etc done on the KARRA..*steel bangle on wrist.
No health surveys no whys and no ifs..and LOTS of non-sikhs also wear these...in fact many Pakistanis wear them to Gurdawaras/Vasakhi melas/sikh weddings etc etc.. to pretend to be sikh boys...Its becasue its EASY and "fashionable"..BUT keeping hair is difficult and bothersome ??...in FACT ALL the 5 Kakaars are important BUT KESH are the CROWN JEWEL...No KESH..the other 4 kakaars are uselsess.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!

I disagree. I think the strongest reason for keeping kesh is identity, commitment and bravery. Bravery in not being afraid to stand up for what you believe in and for letting your appearance guide your actions so they are the best they can be. Identity so those in trouble know who they can approach.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Sister your transnatural form has no hair on it's body,stretch your mind, not your beard.

SP Ji..the beard stretches itself naturally...in fact you got to lather it and use effort to shorten it each morning..ha ha..BUt the MIND is another bowl of fish altogether...not easily stretched ha ha

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
But commitment, identity and bravery are all just temporal qualities. Love for Akaal Purakh is spiritual in nature.

And Sikhism stresses the importance of living in the temporal world with spiritual morals. Temporal considerations are vital to leading a spiritual life as a Sikh. Without commitment, identity and bravery we cannot fulfil our duties as Sikhs.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I disagree. I think the strongest reason for keeping kesh is identity, commitment and bravery. Bravery in not being afraid to stand up for what you believe in and for letting your appearance guide your actions so they are the best they can be. Identity so those in trouble know who they can approach.

I respectfully disagree Bhenji, the need for identity, bravery and commitment stems from the love we have for Guru. Sikhism is not a fear/reward religion, and in my opinion, if you have the love first, everything else is easy.

When you are in love with your partner, nothing is too much trouble, in fact every chore, every job is met with pleasure, the pleasure at being given chance to do something for them. Compare this to the 'I should do' attitude prevalent in relationships devoid of deep love, I should put the rubbish out, I should tidy up after myself, I should be more understanding,

Love makes the hardest task into a pleasure, it makes the whole argument of hair keeping irrelevant, it is the foundation and basis for all the qualities you have indicated, in my view, everything stems from love, if you love what you are doing, it is no longer hard, it is a pleasure, be it hair, job, spouse, cleaning the toilet, whatever.

:singhsippingcoffee:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM