• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Why Are There So Many Religions?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Harry ji
I think every religion has its own code of conduct and this is not unique to Sikhism per se. This is again an attempt to somehow imply that Sikhism is superior, a claim that all religions make(a common feature at last!!!!). But you are right about some commonalities. The differences are stark. Example buddhism - no God, hinduism - God who discends down on the earth, sikhism - God who does not appear in physical form. And you know Einstein was in favour of Buddhism. So please dont claim about SIKH superiority, that is a very 'religious' thing to do.

Of course I consider Sikhism superior, why would I not? and just to confuse matters I consider it superior because it is not a religion.

I drive a Range Rover, a 17 year old one, I drive it because I consider it superior to any other car on the road.That is merely my opinion, if you were to ask me what makes it superior, I would say that it does not compete with any other car, it is in a class of its own, it cannot be compared with other cars, due to its age, it does not depreciate, its not very fast, but it will go anywhere, it carries 3 adults and 4 dogs in comfort, I have just been to the tip and in one journey got rid of a load of rubbish, I have no idea what its top speed is, or its 0-60, but it ticks every single box I need ticked, and that is why I drive one.

If you need a fast good looking car, buy a new BMW
If you need people to oooh and aaaaah at your car, buy a new Mercedes
If you want a car with a long warranty buy a Hyundai
If you want something exciting and full of gadgets buy an Audi

We are all individuals, we all have boxes that need ticking be it cars or religion, or a way of life, Sikhism ticks my boxes which makes it superior as far as I am concerned, I put practicality and pragmastism above chanting and rituals anyday, you need to work out what it is you require, if you need a deity, or forgiveness from sins, or lots of pomp and show and elaborate ceremony, then you choose accordingly.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
harry ji

Satguru ji never makes any mistakes. Why not

Living in accordance with hukam = a perfect state of affairs ? Even when it may not seem so to us at the time.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Adminji

In my view Satguruji shows us the way, and that way is Hukam. If I decide to spend the next 5 years doped out of my head, then this, in my view, is not in Hukam, it is manmukh, and I will end up in a very different place than if I was Gurmukh. A manmukh does not live in Hukam, A Gursikh does, that is my current understanding, otherwise we get back to the 'everything happens for a reason' which I do not buy, things happen, and depending on how you deal with them, other things happen, the best way is to follow the path of truth, that I think is Hukam, however I am happy to be corrected

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Adminji

I agree with you, it is the acceptance of misfortune or life challanges that also gets labelled as being in Hukam that I protest against. It is those that come across a problem and state ' it is gods will' that I despair against, I think living in Hukam is a choice not automatic

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Adminji

I agree with you, it is the acceptance of misfortune or life challanges that also gets labelled as being in Hukam that I protest against. It is those that come across a problem and state ' it is gods will' that I despair against, I think living in Hukam is a choice not automatic

You may mean something different by "living in." My question would be, if we are not living in hukam what else are we living in?

This is where I am still learning. I do not see living in hukam is a "choice." I also do not see it to be about puppets and their puppet master. Is hukam discovered?

For certain our Gurus were not suggesting we should be fatalistic. Choices we must and can make.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
it begs the question can one live outside Hukam..

Today I believe I have lived by Hukam, last week I believe I was outside, its a good title for a thread! can one live outside Hukam!

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Re: why so many religions

There are so many religions each with its own take on how to be able to attain God and what the message of God is. Why if one God then so many different versions of His message? Another resson for disturbance of the already disturbed mind essentially defeating the purpose of religion.

The divisions are man made as some religions but don't all preach "worship God and do no harm"? Problems start to mount when they start putting their religion in a box and say "This is how you worship, pray facing "X" direction", "accept so and so as a middleman and the only way to salvation" and it goes on and on. One of my favorite rules is "If you convert to another religion the penalty is death!" Of course let's not forget " Ours is the only way or else you will burn in hell forever."

I respect others' religions but I am not so liberal to accept any of their aspects into my own.

I believe that If a soul practiced any religion perfectly through many rebirths they can resolve their karma while not causing further imbalance, have a mystical experience to self realization and reach moksha but surely it would be the slowest way.

These are my beliefs learned through my satguru and I have no wish to cause controversy.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
You may mean something different by "living in." My question would be, if we are not living in hukam what else are we living in?

At a risk of sounding dualistic, wouldn't it be 'living in haumai'?

I think you're right Adminji, that we can't escape hukam, but sometimes (most of the time) we don't realise it. We're veiled by haumai and act with me-me-me-me intention instead of the You-You-You.

Sandeep said:
Well there is so much emphasis in sikhism about living in accordance with the will of god. isnt that a. message or is that also made up

Sandeep ji

The translation is misleading. Hukam is a royal decree, but not in a 'here I give you this decree' sort of way but a 'this is how it will be' kind of way. This whole world, physics, consequences, the Way Things Are is hukam. We need to be very careful not to humanise the Creator and imagine it behaving like a human with a human personality and a human will. Hukam isn't something given to us. It simply Is.

But perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by "message"?

The Gurus gave us a message. 1429/30 pages worth of message.

IMHO.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
At a risk of sounding dualistic, wouldn't it be 'living in haumai'?

I think you're right Adminji, that we can't escape hukam, but sometimes (most of the time) we don't realise it. We're veiled by haumai and act with me-me-me-me intention instead of the You-You-You.

Unless we are sanyasi, and even there I have doubts, we are all living in duality. So personally I don't let it get to me.

I tend to agree with your understanding. However, I am not an expert on hukam and am only here to ask questions.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM