• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Is The Father?

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all!

The true Gurus sing often about the father (Pitaa) for example Paanee (water) Pitaa, Hari Pitaa, Gurdev Pitaa, Santokh Pitaa, Naam Pitaa etc.
Are these different Papas for Sikhs or different attributes of the same father?
Please throw some light on it. I will be grateful.

Balbir Singh

Apr 4, 2007
i think that in order to get the meaning of these terms you have to take them in context of the shabad in question. you can't take Gurbani in pieces, it doesn't make sense if you do.

let's take them one at a time.

first, father as water, from Japji Sahib Salok:

Pavaṇ gurū pāṇī piṯā māṯā ḏẖaraṯ mahaṯ.
Air is the Guru, Water is the Father, and Earth is the Great Mother of all.
Ḏivas rāṯ ḏu­ė ḏā­ī ḏā­i­ā kẖėlai sagal jagaṯ.
Day and night are the two nurses, in whose lap all the world is at play.
Cẖang­ā­ī­ā buri­ā­ī­ā vācẖai ḏẖaram haḏūr.
Good deeds and bad deeds-the record is read out in the Presence of the Lord of Dharma.
Karmī āpo āpṇī kė nėṛai kė ḏūr.
According to their own actions, some are drawn closer, and some are driven further away.
Jinī nām ḏẖi­ā­i­ā ga­ė maskaṯ gẖāl.
Those who have meditated on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and departed after having worked by the sweat of their brows -
Nānak ṯė mukẖ ujlė kėṯī cẖẖutī nāl. ||1||
O Nanak, their faces are radiant in the Court of the Lord, and many are saved along with them! ||1||

what this means:

God has created the earth along with all facilities, day and night, wind and water, etc. for the physical comfort and welfare of the human beings. This provides them the needed environment to perform their responsibilities and practice righteousness. In addition, the Lord has assigned parents to nurse the newcomers (babies) to this world and a guide (Guru, dispenser of divine knowledge) for spiritual guidance.
The stage is thus set for people to benefit from these favors of the Lord. In the end, we all will be judged for the good and bad deeds we do in our life and each will get full and fair justice. Those who love the Lord (follow His will) successfully complete the mission of their lives. They demolish the wall of ignorance (ego) and realize the Lord. Such devotees along with their associates are honored in his court.
Translation of Japji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
kelley_kaur

You have provided a lucid explanation on this point. A a good mix of direct explanation, examples from Gurbani, and a sense of how to think or re-think a passage from Guruji.

Your appeal -- that we look at context-- is key. Context is created by the interplay of language at the level of sounds and wrods. Context is of great value to grasping what a shabad is telling us. Unfortunately, understanding how context influences the meaning of specific words or phrases in a passage is a helpful strategy that gets some people mixed up. They shy away from the idea of using context. I am never sure why.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
i think that in order to get the meaning of these terms you have to take them in context of the shabad in question. you can't take Gurbani in pieces, it doesn't make sense if you do.

let's take them one at a time.

first, father as water, from Japji Sahib Salok:

Pavaṇ gurū pāṇī piṯā māṯā ḏẖaraṯ mahaṯ.
Air is the Guru, Water is the Father, and Earth is the Great Mother of all.
Ḏivas rāṯ ḏu*ė ḏā*ī ḏā*i*ā kẖėlai sagal jagaṯ.
Day and night are the two nurses, in whose lap all the world is at play.
Cẖang*ā*ī*ā buri*ā*ī*ā vācẖai ḏẖaram haḏūr.
Good deeds and bad deeds-the record is read out in the Presence of the Lord of Dharma.
Karmī āpo āpṇī kė nėṛai kė ḏūr.
According to their own actions, some are drawn closer, and some are driven further away.
Jinī nām ḏẖi*ā*i*ā ga*ė maskaṯ gẖāl.
Those who have meditated on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and departed after having worked by the sweat of their brows -
Nānak ṯė mukẖ ujlė kėṯī cẖẖutī nāl. ||1||
O Nanak, their faces are radiant in the Court of the Lord, and many are saved along with them! ||1||

what this means:

God has created the earth along with all facilities, day and night, wind and water, etc. for the physical comfort and welfare of the human beings. This provides them the needed environment to perform their responsibilities and practice righteousness. In addition, the Lord has assigned parents to nurse the newcomers (babies) to this world and a guide (Guru, dispenser of divine knowledge) for spiritual guidance.
The stage is thus set for people to benefit from these favors of the Lord. In the end, we all will be judged for the good and bad deeds we do in our life and each will get full and fair justice. Those who love the Lord (follow His will) successfully complete the mission of their lives. They demolish the wall of ignorance (ego) and realize the Lord. Such devotees along with their associates are honored in his court.
Translation of Japji

Thank you kelly ji for post and link.Its really amazing that how you people quickly gain knowledge of gurbani.while our own youths don't bother to read a single material on sikhism.

Kelly ji Antonia ji SPN is really lucky to have members like
you here.keep it up

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all and Kelly_Kaur Jee!

Thanks for your efforts. Please refer one sentence from your post or the link if explains Paanee Pitaa. Make it easy and take it easy. Thanks.

Balbir Singh

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Balbir Singh ji Sat Sri Akal

As Usuakl I dont know the answer !

but the given the above choices by you I think answer is its atrribute of same father

jatinder singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM