• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Who Is Sikh? Who Is Not?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Jaspreet 08 ji,

On the contrary you have been well advised. Like the Gardener observes each flower in his Garden so does God conscious people observe who is spiritually ready to progress to the next stage. The gardener will select and pick the right flowers at the right time. Due to ones ignorance some feel it to be impractical because they are anxious to be selected. One should subdue their anxiety. Some time ones expectations are so high because they have read so many books and have created an image of a dynamic personality who will instantly transform them. Unfortunately even if they meet a Sadhu/Sant , beacuse it does not fit their criterion they will be left behind.

For a Sikh their Guru is SGGS. But Gurus advocate the company of a Sadhu or a Sant for guidances. Unfortunately People want a Guru on their terms and hence they go out looking for a Guru. SGGS tells us that Guru/Sant/Sadhu is met by His blessing and ones past Karmas. So improve your Karmas and one day you will be blessed with the company of a true Sadhu/Saint. SGGS gives enough guidance to get ready if one is really interested.

Perform these three basic principles of Guru Nanak Dev ji with utmost sincerety

• To contemplate on His Naam( Naam Japna)
  • work hard based on righteous principles( Dharam dee Kirat Karni
  • Sharing with all others what have ( wand shakana)
Seek/pray for the company of a saint who will tell you how to overcome lust, anger, attachment, greed and ego.

Life if the Fuel.
Lust, Anger, Attachment, Greed and Ego are the five wicks to the Lamp of life. SGGS tells us how to divert these forces to achieve our goal to Salvation. Academics will never meet that goal. Elevate your consciousness by following the teachings of SGGS and leave the rest to HIM.

Guru Bhaley karega.

My humble appologies for Choota muh badi baat. No offence intended .

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us, bade_ustaad ji :) I am moved beyond words.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
amarsanghera ji,

Why do you wish your mind was a playback tape-recorder? You seem to have a pretty good memory. What thoughts are you trying to retrieve? We find your insights interesting. :cool:

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
i am finding it tough to type what i am thinking :)

words blur by,

hands spin out of control

and all i manage is a smiley :)

Data Devan haar

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
i forgot...its friday :)

back to the topic !!!

Badey Ustad ji

nice thoughts

i have an idea...

have you ever thought of meeting the saadhu inside you?

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Try voice to text software. It works. >>

:inca:

rabba yaar mila de
jo luk baitha andar mere
rabba yaar mila de

mainu sunave tere barey
mainu dassey tere barey

kaddey kaddey joke vi sunave..

rabba yaar mila de

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
God...plz plz introduce me to the friend
one that is hiding inside
God plz pls introduce me to the friend

he will talk to me me abt you

he will tell me more abt you

and sometimes he will make me smile with jokes :)

God plz pls introduce me to the friend inside me

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thank you amarsanghera ji. :) I just read last night that if you pray to Guru Ram Daas for a big hug, Guru Ram Daas himself will give you a big hug. Today I am going to try it.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
On the contrary you have been well advised. Like the Gardener observes each flower in his Garden so does God conscious people observe who is spiritually ready to progress to the next stage. The gardener will select and pick the right flowers at the right time. Due to ones ignorance some feel it to be impractical because they are anxious to be selected.( quote bade_ustad)
Bade_ Ustad Jio
Your views strikingly resemble with one of my dear and respected friend.
With all due respect, I wonder how a flower gets better without the Gardener! The Gardner takes care of the flower through a medium( we can say here water and fertilizer etc), if even after that good care, some flowers are not selectable, that is their fate, so don't assume without the Gardner, flowers will blossom to the extreme for selection. As flowers are dependent on Gardener's, so do we, a lot of insects in different forms are there to eat us alive, GARDENER's care through a medium, comes first, do we care about the medium or love to have allaince with INSECTS .Even the wild flowers need HIS mercy ! Thanks for sharing nice views.

Aug 9, 2007
On the contrary you have been well advised. Like the Gardener observes each flower in his Garden so does God conscious people observe who is spiritually ready to progress to the next stage. The gardener will select and pick the right flowers at the right time. Due to ones ignorance some feel it to be impractical because they are anxious to be selected.( quote bade_ustad)
Bade_ Ustad Jio
Your views strikingly resemble with one of my dear and respected friend.
With all due respect, I wonder how a flower gets better without the Gardener! The Gardner takes care of the flower through a medium( we can say here water and fertilizer etc), if even after that good care, some flowers are not selectable, that is their fate, so don't assume without the Gardner, flowers will blossom to the extreme for selection. As flowers are dependent on Gardener's, so do we, a lot of insects in different forms are there to eat us alive, GARDENER's care through a medium, comes first, do we care about the medium or love to have allaince with INSECTS .Even the wild flowers need HIS mercy ! Thanks for sharing nice views.

Enjoy the fragrance of the flower whilst it blooms. All God Conscious people speak the same language.

Just as we are born and food is available at the door step to nourish us. Mother is there to care for us and together with father both parents are our first Gurus to guide us into the world. We get our “Sanskaars” from our parents. These services are all available to us made possible by THE GARDENER (GOD) selected for each individual on merit. We just fail to understand/realize.

Jabb eh kehat ke main kush karta
Tabb eh garab jon mein phirta.

We are our own enemies but we blame on others for our inadequacies.

Sall pathar mein jant upaae, Ta ka rizak agey kar dharia. Any doubts?

All is provided for us and well planned before hand, it is our own deficiency that we do not accept it. “Tabb eh garab jon mein phirta.” That is why we suffer.

Raise the level of your conscious and not the Head. The difference between mortals is the level of ones consciousness. We are given equal opportunity in each life. Some take advantage of this and others do not. Beggars cannot be choosers. To receive alms one has to bow. Like all sweet fruit when ripe bow down. This is the way forward.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Pk70 jio,

I understand bade_ustaad ji to be describing in a very poetic way the problem of ego creeping into spiritual practice. We want to get it, we read books about it, we seek out experts, we talk amongst ourselves, we start a blog on the Internet, we measure our progress, we compare our vichaar to someone other's vichaar, we despair, we become anxious, we start mistaking gimmics for dhyana. Secretly we wonder if we have progressed more so than the next guy. Or we feel distraught because we are not where we think we should be. (I use "we" in the theoretical sense, not about any group in particular.)

Is this what Guru Ram Daas Dev ji meant when he says, ਅਬ ਹਮ ਚਲੀ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਪਹਿ ਹਾਰਿ ॥
ab ham chalee thaakur pehi haar || Now, I have come, exhausted, to my Lord and Master. ਜਬ ਹਮ ਸਰਣਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਕੀ ਆਈ ਰਾਖੁ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਭਾਵੈ ਮਾਰਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ jab ham saran prabhoo kee aaee raakh prabhoo bhaavai maar ||1|| rehaao ||Now that I have come seeking Your Sanctuary, God, please, either save me, or kill me. ||1||Pause||

He knows what to do. Everything else by way of "home remedies" gets in the way.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
You who seek God apart, apart,
The thing you seek, thou art, thou art;
Why then search for what you have not lost?
Searching for what’s not lost, distrust, distrust!

Thou art the letters, names and the book
Prophets and angels your word undertook;
Just sit still, this futile search let go
You are the house, master and foe
Essence and form, celestial and from earth
Always eternal, in death and at birth.

If you want to see the beloved’s face
Polish the mirror, gaze into that space
In these truths, the secrets you weave
Are your punishments, yourselves deceive.

Shams-e Tabrizi, is the world Emperor
Seekers of his grace are behind which door?
This graceful King showers you with gifts
Unbeknownst to you, your souls uplifts

- Rumi

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Amarsanghera ji, Ti saluto!

On the subject of the Gardener --

ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
aasaa mehalaa 5 ||
Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

ਏਕੁ ਬਗੀਚਾ ਪੇਡ ਘਨ ਕਰਿਆ ॥
eaek bageechaa paedd ghan kariaa ||
There is a garden, in which so many plants have grown.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਤਹਾ ਮਹਿ ਫਲਿਆ ॥੧॥
anmrith naam thehaa mehi faliaa ||1||
They bear the Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam as their fruit. ||1||

ਐਸਾ ਕਰਹੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥
aisaa karahu beechaar giaanee ||
Consider this, O wise one,

ਜਾ ਤੇ ਪਾਈਐ ਪਦੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਨੀ ॥
jaa thae paaeeai padh nirabaanee ||
by which you may attain the state of Nirvaanaa.

ਆਸਿ ਪਾਸਿ ਬਿਖੂਆ ਕੇ ਕੁੰਟਾ ਬੀਚਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
aas paas bikhooaa kae kunttaa beech anmrith hai bhaaee rae ||1|| rehaao ||
All around this garden are pools of poison, but within it is the Ambrosial Nectar, O Siblings of Destiny. ||1||Pause||

ਸਿੰਚਨਹਾਰੇ ਏਕੈ ਮਾਲੀ ॥
sinchanehaarae eaekai maalee ||
There is only one gardener who tends it.

ਖਬਰਿ ਕਰਤੁ ਹੈ ਪਾਤ ਪਤ ਡਾਲੀ ॥੨॥
khabar karath hai paath path ddaalee ||2||
He takes care of every leaf and branch. ||2||

ਸਗਲ ਬਨਸਪਤਿ ਆਣਿ ਜੜਾਈ ॥
sagal banasapath aan jarraaee ||
He brings all sorts of plants and plants them there.

ਸਗਲੀ ਫੂਲੀ ਨਿਫਲ ਨ ਕਾਈ ॥੩॥
sagalee foolee nifal n kaaee ||3||
They all bear fruit - none is without fruit. ||3||

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਫਲੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
anmrith fal naam jin gur thae paaeiaa ||
One who receives the Ambrosial Fruit of the Naam from the Guru

ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਤਰੀ ਤਿਨਿ ਮਾਇਆ ॥੪॥੫॥੫੬॥
naanak dhaas tharee thin maaeiaa ||4||5||56||
- O Nanak, such a servant crosses over the ocean of Maya. ||4||5||56||

Ang 385, Guru Arjan Dev ji

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
kaga-shalok.gif

O, thou crow, pecking at my emaciated body, eating away its flesh, Pary touch not these two eyes, so I may have sight of the Beloved.

pic-sfarid1.gif
pic-sfarid2.gif
pic-sfarid3.gif

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
are those the "eyes" that can "see" "the Beloved ?? does that mean that inspite of all his lifelong ghaalnna..hard work...Farid Ji is dying without having "seen" His Beloved ??

imho the "picture" is literally interpreting....just like the one that shows farid ji with a wooden "roti" in relation to "Kaath ki roti..."....a human body cannot live on chewing a wooden roti....one has to eat food to live...
Gyani jarnail Singh:yes:

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
kaaga or crow is maya

eyes are the soul

he says- maya eats away the physical body, let it not corrupt your soul as it seeks the beloved.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: