• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Which One Is The Supreme Religion ?

Jun 1, 2004
srb Drm mih sRyst Drmu ] hir ko nwmu jip inrml krmu ] sgl ik®Aw mih aUqm ikirAw ] swDsMig durmiq mlu ihirAw ] sgl audm mih audmu Blw ] hir kw nwmu jphu jIA sdw ] sgl bwnI mih AMimRq bwnI ] hir ko jsu suin rsn bKwnI ] sgl Qwn qy Ehu aUqm Qwnu ] nwnk ijh Git vsY hir nwmu ]8]
Panna 266, SGGS Fifth Mahl

Jun 1, 2004
Of all religions, the best religion is to chant the Name of the Lord and maintain pure conduct. Of all religious rituals, the most sublime ritual is to erase the filth of the dirty mind in the Company of the Holy. Of all efforts, the best effort is to chant the Name of the Lord in the heart, forever. Of all speech, the most ambrosial speech is to hear the Lord.s Praise and chant it with the tongue. Of all places, the most sublime place, O Nanak, is that heart in which the Name of the Lord abides. || 8 ||

A

atheist

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Of all religions, the best religion is to chant the Name of the Lord and maintain pure conduct.

This sounds a bit tedious. Why is it the best religion? Why not one in which you don't have to chant anything, and you are free to go about your business?

Quote:
Of all religious rituals, the most sublime ritual is to erase the filth of the dirty mind in the Company of the Holy.

What defines a "dirty mind"? You need to define it before you can erase it. Please elaborate.

Quote:
Of all efforts, the best effort is to chant the Name of the Lord in the heart, forever.

Again, this sounds a bit tedious. It seems to me that, of all efforts, the best effort is the effort to survive. That is what life is about. Incessant chanting sounds a bit obsessive to me, and obsessive behavior is certainly not desirable. You could be reading a book and improving your mind instead of chanting. Just my opinion, of course.

Quote:
Of all speech, the most ambrosial speech is to hear the Lord.s Praise and chant it with the tongue.

I'm inferring here that ambrosial speech is desirable, although I'm not quite sure what you mean by it. Myself, I think that poetry and song are enjoyable. Not all chants (poetry or songs) are. Sometimes they can be annoying and even cause headaches. However, I'm not going to begrudge you what works for you.

Quote:
Of all places, the most sublime place, O Nanak, is that heart in which the Name of the Lord abides.

Here you are using "place" as a metaphor for mental state. I think that any state of euphoria can be sublime. Gurbani may not actually have experienced the most sublime mental state, but you seem to place a lot of faith in him. I see no reason to.

Jun 1, 2004
Hi,

You can loginto my site by clicking Member Login... I will be make changes to make the entry easy...

You guys need to open up the way you look at things... the lines I quoted do not order you to agree to what He says... Its just a suggestion to us... Chanting does not mean the you have to only chant the Name of the Almighty... You can do it anytime... We can do it while we are reading a good book and understanding... Life is all about learning... Guru Nanak is just giving His version of attaining peace of mind... We do not have to be a Sikh to attain peace of mind... We can say that its one of they way...

What is so tedious about the saying... If a person is asking you to free your mind from the bad or ill will against fellow beings then what is so tedious about it... You tend to make a mistake of comparing writings of Sikh Gurus as Bible or Quoran... Its not like that... Guru Granth Sahib Ji the compilation of writings of Sikh Gurus is there collection of their experiences... And the Almighty he is talking of resides in our hearts only He is not a physical God or anything like that... Need is to find this God with in ourselves.. and I do think emptying your mind from depression thoughts and concentrating on positive thoughts is a tedious suggestion...

Ambrosial speech should be taken as that we should always speak sweets with each other... By speaking insipid words there is not much achieve but only we lose our peace of mind... So why not speak sweet words with fellow human beings ?

English translations sometimes can not convey the real message... As you rightly figured out by knowing that the almighty resides in our hearts means that Gurbani (words of the Guru) is talking about a state of mind which is devoid of any ill will against others... he is not talking about a physical...

Just read the following discussion... its trying to define the attribute of Sikh version of Almighty... and hopefully also join the forum for an occasional queries... my forum is basically dedicated to non-sikh worldwide community... ofcourse there would very shortcoming in that website but i am only just in spirituality so you are open to ask anything... because that would also broaden my horizons...

Please excuse me for my poor english... but I am improving...

Enjoy Life

Chardi Kalaa (Live life in high spirits)
Guru Nanak says "Be an Optimistic and Be happy"

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM