• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Which Is The Right Way To GOD ?

AjitFlora

SPNer
Dec 8, 2007
CA, USA
As the tittle of the blog suggest, this question has been among the biggest question of all, especially for those who are religious.In the following paragraphs I will try to analyze it best to my understanding.
To begin with, we see many common things in all religions.Each religion has a founder,a historical origin, a holy scripture,a set of rituals and beliefs, ceremonial functions, a set of ideas regarding origin of life,death,salvation.Furthermore, since all of us are seeking same state of living which is a state of peace and contentment, it would mean we have the same problem.Hence, the solution would be the same for all of us.

The problem arises when we see all the different religions being followed. Now the question comes, if our desire is the same which is to attain salvation and if the desire is same, the underlying problem must also be the same causing us to desire salvation.But how come salvation can be attained by different methods when the desire is the same and so is the problem.

Thus, throughout the ages we have seen conflicts among different religions each claiming to be the right way to GOD.In fact, religions like Christianity and Islam often claims to have exclusive right over Truth and even consider prioritization or religious conversions to be an essential part of their religion.
But the question remains, how can one claim if one religion is right and the other is wrong.
Usually, we claim and refer to our scriptures as the authentic source and basis of our religion but each religion has a scripture.Since all our beliefs, rituals,practices, ceremonies comes straight out of the scriptures therefore, the scriptures of all religions are at scrutiny or in question by those who consider their religion to be the only way and so their entire efforts goes to prove insufficiency or inadequacy in other scriptures.Once they do that, that itself makes all other beliefs, practices,rituals of that particular religion invalid as all those depends on the scripture itself.

But in the middle of this chaos as we all wonder and try to figure out and spread our message to rest of the world,GOD is lost.

Now coming back to things which are common to all of us irrespective of our religion, we all agree GOD is One,All Knowing,Eternal,Self Existent,Beyond our logic and reasoning.Beyond our physical senses.If we agree on these features of GOD then in an instant all our claims, all our reasons, logic fails.
Please Read With More Attention from here.

With our ability to reason and logic we developed this world,from bullock carts we made into Motor Cars, from it we moved on to flying and even in space.With our logic and reasoning we developed cities, buildings, ways to do business, services, governments.All the things we have around us today. All the things with the ability of our logic and reasoning.Furthermore,we have discovered about our ancient civilizations and looked into our future advances through logic and reasoning.Now all these developments were possible because we could see the physical world, our senses could feel them and our logic could comprehend them. Now as mentioned above since GOD goes beyond our senses and reason/logic that put a limit on ourselves to completely understand GOD as well as God's word (Holy Scriptures). Thus, anyone who claims that his/her religion is the only way to salvation put himself/herself in dilemma.Since as a human we are limited so are our logic and reason.Therefore, GOD cannot be understood with our reason or logic but if someone claims so then he/she makes GOD no different than rest of the physical world which is not only understood by us but we have manipulated it for our comfort. Since, during most interfaith debates people try to make sense, try to reason and logic about the authenticity of each other's scriptures the whole process falls into fallacy since neither GOD nor God's word are within the logic and reasoning of humans and this limitation of us itself makes us mortal.Therefore, no claim by anyone would be enough as there is no way to know the depth to which God or God's word can go.

The answer to the question why there are so many religions if there is only one GOD itself is rooted in the above mentioned paragraphs. Since GOD is limitless,infinite,beyond logic,beyond reason,beyond physical senses so are God's ways and that itself prove God's Majesty as there can be no set of ideas,thoughts,religions,holy scriptures,rituals,beliefs,practices,ceremonies which can ever confine GOD.In fact, to say that the Infinite GOD has a finite way to reach itself is a contradictory.

Thank You.
orangeturban.png

Hope the following lines of Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji answer this age old question.
ਸਰਬ ਧਰਮ ਮਿਹ ਸਰ੍ੇਸਟ ਧਰਮੁ ॥
sarab Dharam meh saraysat Dharam.
Of all religions, the best religion
ਹਿਰ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਿਪ ਿਨਰਮਲ ਕਰਮੁ ॥
har ko naam jap nirmal karam.
is to chant the Name of the Lord and maintain pure conduct.
ਸਗਲ ਿਕਰ੍ਆ ਮਿਹ ਊਤਮ ਿਕਿਰਆ ॥
sagal kir-aa meh ootam kiri-aa.
Of all religious rituals, the most sublime ritual
ਸਾਧਸੰਿਗ ਦੁਰਮਿਤ ਮਲੁ ਿਹਿਰਆ ॥
saaDhsang durmat mal hiri-aa.
is to erase the filth of the dirty mind in the Company of the Holy.
ਸਗਲ ਉਦਮ ਮਿਹ ਉਦਮੁ ਭਲਾ ॥
sagal udam meh udam bhalaa.
Of all efforts, the best effort
ਹਿਰ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਹ ੁ ਜੀਅ ਸਦਾ ॥
har kaa naam japahu jee-a sadaa.
is to chant the Name of the Lord in the heart, forever.
ਸਗਲ ਬਾਨੀ ਮਿਹ ਅੰਿਮਰ੍ਤ ਬਾਨੀ ॥
sagal baanee meh amrit baanee.
Of all speech, the most ambrosial speech
ਹਿਰ ਕੋ ਜਸੁ ਸੁਿਨ ਰਸਨ ਬਖਾਨੀ ॥
har ko jas sun rasan bakhaanee.
is to hear the Lord's Praise and chant it with the tongue.
ਸਗਲ ਥਾਨ ਤੇ ਓਹ ੁ ਊਤਮ ਥਾਨੁ ॥
sagal thaan tay oh ootam thaan.
Of all places, the most sublime place,
ਨਾਨਕ ਿਜਹ ਘਿਟ ਵਸੈ ਹਿਰ ਨਾਮੁ ॥੮॥੩॥
naanak jih ghat vasai har naam. ||8||3||
O Nanak, is that heart in which the Name of the Lord abides. ||8||3||

2.ਿਵਸੁਏ ਚਿਸਆ ਘੜੀਆ ਪਹਰਾ ਿਥਤੀ ਵਾਰੀ ਮਾਹ ੁ ਹੋਆ ॥
visu-ay chasi-aa gharhee-aa pahraa thitee vaaree maahu ho-aa.
The seconds, minutes and hours, days, weeks and months,
ਸੂਰਜੁ ਏਕੋ ਰਿੁ ਤ ਅਨੇਕ ॥
sooraj ayko rut anayk.
and the various seasons originate from the one sun;
ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਤੇ ਕੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਵੇਸ ॥੨॥੨॥
naanak kartay kay kaytay vays. ||2||2||
O Nanak, in just the same way, the many forms originate from the Creator. ||2||2||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
AjitFlora ji

Thank you for inviting me to read your blog. I hope you don't mind if I also respond. And I may need to return to respond more than once because you have said many important things. It will take some time to think all of this through, and I also want to react to your ideas in more than one way.

I am starting with this part of your essay because there are so many ways to look at what you have said.

"Thus, anyone who claims that his/her religion is the only way to salvation put himself/herself in dilemma.Since as a human we are limited so are our logic and reason.Therefore, GOD cannot be understood with our reason or logic but if someone claims so then he/she makes GOD no different than rest of the physical world which is not only understood by us but we have manipulated it for our comfort. Since, during most interfaith debates people try to make sense, try to reason and logic about the authenticity of each other's scriptures the whole process falls into fallacy since neither GOD nor God's word are within the logic and reasoning of humans and this limitation of us itself makes us mortal."

I agree that neither God nor God's word are within the logic and reasoning of humans. Yet so many prophets and truth-givers claim to be able to explain God to us. I am not talking about articles on religious and spiritual topics where the nature of God is investigated, but rather about teachers and gurus who make the case that they know and the rest of us are here to find it all out from them. In the Testament of the Hebrews, the Jewish Bible, the prophet Isaiah hears God say, "My ways are not your ways and my thoughts are not your thoughts." Yet we try to out-think God and so do the gurus and teachers. How would they know? How would we know?

From reading about religion I have come to the conclusion that most of the world's religions, with only a few exceptions, have an image of God and of spirituality that is a mirror image of man. Though again the Jewish Bible states that God made man in His own image, and followers of the Quran also agree with that, to me it looks as if man invented God in terms of mankind's need to understand their weakness and vulnerability. For this reason then we have images of God that are so different from one another. When uniquely different cultures think about the nature of God, they invent a God that is as different from the God next store, in the next town or village as the cultures themselves differ from one another.

Why do I say this? Because look again at the Jewish, Muslim, Christian religions. The Jewish people and followers of Islam follow what is called by theologians the "old covenant." In this covenant human beings prove their love, faith and dependence on God through obedience. Their covenant is a continuation or a repetition of Abraham's covenant with "God" God asked Abraham to make a sacrifice of his son to prove his faith. God stopped Abraham as he raised the knife because he saw that Abraham's faith was whole. In both religions then "sacrifice" and the ritual of sacrifice is used to demonstrate that the covenant is still in effect. That the faith of Jews and Muslims is whole.

Among Christians a New Covenant is followed. This covenant is completely different from that of Jews and Muslims. In this covenant the celebration reminds the followers that "God gave His Only Son" to save mankind. So the change-over is dramatic. Here God makes the sacrifice on behalf of human beings.

What is the view of sacrifice in Sikhism? Nanak says so many times "I am a sacrifice to the company of the holy, I am a sacrifice to God, to the True Guru. In Sikhism, the difference is even more dramatic. God does not ask for sacrifice in Sikhism. God does not make a sacrifice in Sikhism. Instead, our Gurus make a sacrifice of themselves, voluntarily, without force or compulsion, and with intense commitment.

In early Judaism and in Islam the God who asks for a sacrifice is vengeful and even at times punishing. He can be a cruel God. Does that not reflect the patriarchy of the cultures in which Judaism and Islam began and flourished? A patriarch, a father among men, who ruled with an iron hand, who demanded total submission, total obedience, and who demanded to be appeased through sacrifices. In Christianity, and in later forms of Judaism, God becomes a loving God who forgives and sacrifices his only son. This new image of God proposed that God needed our love. What is that saying about the cultures in which these ideas originate? The world at the time of Jesus was ready for a change.

More about that later.

Only Sikhism, as far as I can tell, refrains from "creating" God in the image of the people of Sikhi. Only Sikhism accepts the idea that God is beyond calculation, pooran, whole and uncontaminated by human characteristics. He is the all pervading doer of all things, "aadpooran, antthepooran, jugaadpooran."ਨਾਨਕ ਕਰਤੇ ਕੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਵੇਸ ॥੨॥੨॥
naanak kartay kay kaytay vays. ||2||2||
ONanak, in just the same way, the many forms originate from the Creator. ||2||2||

That is why I suspect that Sikhism will prevail in the modern world and will be understood as a beacon of immaculate belief in God. More and more, people from different cultures meet and begin to realize how their gods, all different, are inventions of the limited human imagination. They realize that their gods are expressions of the human need for a person, a father, to take their burdens and suffering from them. But Sikhism, Guru Nanak, say, He has always been there. He will always be there. He is too near to be far. All the time He has been within you, but you have been looking at the wrong things and in the wrong directon.ਸਗਲ ਉਦਮ ਮਿਹ ਉਦਮੁ ਭਲਾ ॥
sagal udam meh udam bhalaa.
Of all efforts, the best effort

ਹਿਰ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਹ ੁ ਜੀਅ ਸਦਾ ॥
har kaa naam japahu jee-a sadaa.
is to chant the Name of the Lord in the heart, forever.

I have more to say. But will stop now and think.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
everyone is trying to just 'believe'....trying to convince others to 'believe'. How can you even try to convince someone if you don't 'know' yourself.

people are wasting their time trying to understand God through logic and reasoning...when what we must all do is try to 'feel' more...

There are people in all religions now thankfully 'looking within' and having first hand experience of the unseen and the limitless ocean of the mind and beyond...but this cannot be explained to anyone, just like the experience of sitting on a roller coaster cannot be given justice through language and description...which is why we make a trip to the theme park to 'feel' the experience first hand.

the right way only you will know and be able to prove to yourself....because it will be a very personal experience. and then if you're able to inspire others to also taste this, then the understanding arises that Waheguru really is within all and beyond...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM