• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Where Are You From?

Which country are you from

• India

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • USA

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • Canada

Votes: 20 14.7%
  • UK

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • ANZ

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Others.. pls specify

Votes: 24 17.6%

• Total voters

Manisha

SPNer
May 26, 2009
UK
Re: Where Are You From ?

Thanks, Mishi. I appreciate that.

And I will gladly accept that title, even though that remark was not directed at me. I usually sign off most places as Mai, TINK, CRf. Perhaps, I should add TN to that. (I used to also use SPTM Semi-Professional Trouble Maker; that was dropped as too cumbersome.)

Abnormailty is one of my more endearing traits. I think.

BTW, I love your avatar picture.

Hehe.. Yepp I think you should add TN to that :}{}{}:

:eek: You're abnormal too?? That's great - So am I :cool: It's unique to not be normal :thumbup:

Is that mine? Well yes, It should be loved - it's amazing. Thanks. =)

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

Thank you, Antonia, love it! And I can play around with it/her a bit too. (You know me!)

Let me see...It wants a URL...Hmmm, how do I get that? I mean I could put it in flickr.

For now, a cut-and-paste:
turban-buddy-icon.gif
!!!:happy:

Chardi kala!:ice:

I tried to appreciate you, and something is not cooperating. I do appreciate, you know.:up:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Mai ji

That appreciate button has not worked for weeks. What it tells me is that I have given out too many appreciation points in the past 24 hours and have to wait. So I just do the Thanks button at the bottom of a post because thanking members costs nothing and it ups the morale (IMHO). What do I know? :unsure:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

Susan said:
I HAVE BEEN BLESSED IN VANCOUVER,CANADA
happy.gif
Hi, Susan ! I love Vancouver, myself! Don't know if I was ever blessed there, though.

Note: you posted in the middle of a very strange conversation.

Chardi kala! :ice:

:mad::): Trying to use code for a turbanned smiley. Ah, well...
turban-buddy-icon.gif

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2009

Hi Mai, I appreciate you commenting on my post. Just to clear up my response when I wrote i was blessed in Vancouver,Canada. I meant blessed as given life. I was born here. Sorry if I have mis-used the word blessed,but I feel Human life is a blessing.

Have you visited Vancouver a lot? What do you like and dislike the most?

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

Hi again Susan Ji,

Just to clear up my response when I wrote i was blessed in Vancouver,Canada. I meant blessed as given life. I was born here. Sorry if I have mis-used the word blessed,but I feel Human life is a blessing.

I think that is a perfectly lovely use of the word blessed and your attitude toward human life is very chardi kala.

I was born in this body in Montreal and have traveled all through Our Home And Native Land. I haven't been to Vancouver in a long time, back before 1984 some time. (My life is divided into 3 parts: before 1984, 1984 and after 1984; it helps me keep things straight). As I remember, it's a really nice place, lots of Sikhs, very friendly. And the food is/was fabulous. Good vegetarian food isn't all that easy to find. If there was anything I disliked, it's been long ago enough that it's no longer in my primary memory banks.

Although my favourite city, make that town, in all of Canada is Whitehorse. I would like to move there someday, taking a whole entourage of Sikhs with me. (I don't think there are many Sikhs there, hence, it would be necessary to bring some with me.) I had one of the nicest experiences of my life there a long time ago. I even told my oldest brother that someday, I'd like my ashes tossed into the Yukon River at Whitehorse. His response was both profane and to the point, the gyst of it being that we'll toss my ashes where I die. OK, I guess I won't be around to dispute it. I do enjoy the thought, though.

Oh, dear, I seem to have gone off on one of my tangents. Ah, well, I'm entitled. Anyway, I also really enjoyed Nelson, beautiful setting, nice people.

Chardi kala!:ice:

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Vegangoth ji,

I've always dreamed of seeing the Scottish moors, the heather just starting to blossom. "Ah, Heathcliff, Heathcliff!"

I fell from the sky,
But no angel I,
I landed on Earth with a THUD!

Fell into Quebec,
But, oh, what the heck,
I'd love to see bright Scottish bud.

Across the wide sea
Oh, fiddle-dee-dee!
I'd fly for a very great fee.

And now I can see
As plain as can be
That ye got to Scotland afore me.

Yours from Doggeral Central.

Mai

vegangoth

SPNer
Jul 12, 2009
Vegangoth ji,

I've always dreamed of seeing the Scottish moors, the heather just starting to blossom. "Ah, Heathcliff, Heathcliff!"

I fell from the sky,
But no angel I,
I landed on Earth with a THUD!

Fell into Quebec,
But, oh, what the heck,
I'd love to see bright Scottish bud.

Across the wide sea
Oh, fiddle-dee-dee!
I'd fly for a very great fee.

And now I can see
As plain as can be
That ye got to Scotland afore me.

Yours from Doggeral Central.

Mai

:happy: Tell you what PM me your address and I send you some genuine Scottish heather or if you prefer some good old Scottish air:D

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Sorry, no can do, Vegangoth ji. For many reasons, I keep all my personal info to myself. EX: Some time ago someone wanted to kidnap me and take me to India so I could be hanged for treason. Silliness, of course, since I've never been an Indian citizen. :whisling:

Perhaps you could send me some virtual heather and air. :{;o:

Mai

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Favela is a Portuguese term for slum/ shantytown. Favelas are all around the metropolitan cities of Brasil.Favelas in Rio De Janeiro, Brasil are famous for drugs and Jogos de bicho which runs in millions of dollars weekly ( Illegal gambling on football- soccer). Bicho means animal. So they use animal names as codes for the teams. It is an open secret that many of the Escolas de Samba ( The famous Samba Schools) that show their allegories with thousands of people during the carnival every year are funded through this illegal gambling.

Lots of murders happen in the favelas daily. Now, the Military Police has taken over parts of these favelas.

Following are interesting articles about them:

Visiting the Favelas of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

www.ipanema.com RIO DE JANEIRO BASICS - MEET THE FAVELAS

So Paulo: favela :: São Paulo (Brazil) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM