• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

When Do You Begin Your Morning Nitnem?

When do you begin your morning nitnem

• earlier than 3am

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • between 2.59am and 3.59am

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • between 4am and 4.59am

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • between 5am and 5.59am

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 6am or later

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • an hour or so before sunrise, changing with the seasons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm working on it / not consistent

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I'd like to get an idea of the times practicing Sikhs begin performing their morning nitnem. Please correct me if this is not the proper usage of terms.

If you have any tips for new early birds, please post them!

Could an Admin please change the title if possible and not too much trouble to "What time do you begin your morning nitnem?" please because I changed my mind half way through poll creation thinking I could change it after. Whoops! Thanks.

Ishna

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Knock yourself out, spnadmin ji. I just wanted to create a poll! cheerleader

Ishna

hpannu

SPNer
Dec 17, 2007
Ishna Ji - I usually do my nitnem before sunrise. My time varies between 3.30am and 6am. When i get up at 3.20am and take bath my wife complains - it wakes her up. So i am only doing that on weekends when she has a day off. I do my nitnem and then head to Gurduara Sahib. Guru Granth Sahib's Parkash time is 5.00am so there are couple of families that are present at that time.

hpannu

SPNer
Dec 17, 2007

Ishna

Ishna Ji - I forgot the tips part. COLD WATER is the key word for early birds ? If that scares you - Kossa Water - lukewarm water not hot water. The first 2 or 3 cups use water that is tolerable then switch to cold till your body can bear it. It's good for you makes you stronger, wakes you up and freshens at the same time. HOT water is for the weak - LOL

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Its all in the MIND...( i mean the cold feeling etc..)
MY Bhua ji who is touching 105/6 this coming June, awakes at 2am and bathes in normal tap water even in freezing December months and she never complained..while my kids use the Instant heater shower even after i bring them home from school in the burning heat of Noon temp around 32 degrees Celcius. In Malaysia the sun is so hot the water at NOON is coming out of the taps at almost boiling temp..but my kids will still ON the Electric Water Heater shower !!...
Mann JEETEH..JAGG JEET is GURBANI.

minhas

SPNer
Dec 22, 2010
ludhiana
Dear Ishna ji ,

In golden temple kirtan starts at 2 a.m in summer and 3 a.m in winter .After the path of sukhmani sahib out side the darshan deodi .

Wahe guru ji ka khalsa
wahe guru ji ke fateh ,

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Ishna Ji...
as you begin reading and "Vichaaring" Gurbani..sometimes you never feel like stopping ( ordinary people will say like eating peanuts or like reading a suspense novel..romantic fiction or murder mystery...one cant put the peanut bag down until empty or the book down until end is revealed..) Now a days it happens so often to me...at rehrass and Kiratn Sohila..sometimes the hukmnamah is so intriguing..i continue reading oblivious of the time and may end up around 2 am or 3 am..and then discover its time to Paraksh the SGGs which I never Sukhasan the previous night...This is a JOURNEY OF LOVE..rules, regulations etc mean nothing..you will find out soon enough of you are really IN LOVE..or may pass an entire life time..studiously following times and rules and end up as empty as you began..choice is YOURS.

gscheema

SPNer
Feb 10, 2010
I'd like to get an idea of the times practicing Sikhs begin performing their morning nitnem. Please correct me if this is not the proper usage of terms.

Could an Admin please change the title if possible and not too much trouble to "What time do you begin your morning nitnem?" please because I changed my mind half way through poll creation thinking I could change it after. Whoops! Thanks.

Ishna

in every religion great importance is given on rising early in the morning and specially in sikh religion it is said ..satgur ka jo sikh kahave bhalke(early in the morning)uth naam thayave...waheguru guru ji da khalsa ,waheguru ji di fateh.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM