• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Power Did Guruji Give Akal Takhat?

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
What if Akal Takhat says all Sikhs must convert to Islam or Christianity, etc? Do Sikhs have to obey?

I thought Sri Guru ji did away with priests, but some times the Akal Takhat leaders sound like all powerful priests, or like the Sikh version of the pope.
I'm not saying I don't respect their opinions, but what if they say something obviously contrary to Sikhi, can we throw out the current jathedar and pick a new one?

If it was only a minor issue I disagreed with I would probably obey anyway and assume they have more insight into Sikhi than I do, but what if it's a big issue that goes against a basic concept of Sikhi?

I've wondered about this for a long time, but kept it to myself. Until more controversial issues kept coming up such as:

I believe women are equal in Sikhi, but Sikh leaders don't seem to be saying that women are equal.

Some people want to include groups that blatantly go against Sikh teachings as Sikhs which isn't right in my opinion.

So what power does Akal Takhat have in the lives of everyday Sikhs?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: