• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General What Is Truth?

RamanS

SPNer
Apr 19, 2011
Ben Bet Beh ji,

My understanding is that our relationship with God is the only relationship we have that will be our support at all times. All other relationships ultimately come to an end. Also, by forgetting God, our worldly relationships are seen as entanglements and are subject to being dominated by lust, anger, greed, attachment, and ego. This does not mean that we should abandon all worldly relationships. But by always being aware of our primary relationship being with God we will strive to act with love, compassion, humility, truthfulness, and contentment in our worldly relations. I'm a newbie to Gurbani Vichaar too and I appreciate everyone else's thoughts and opinions.

ਰਾਗੁ ਆਸਾ ਘਰੁ ੨ ਮਹਲਾ ੪ ॥
रागु आसा घरु २ महला ४ ॥
Rāg āsā gẖar 2 mėhlā 4.
Raag Aasaa, Second House, Fourth Mehl:

ਕਿਸ ਹੀ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਸੁਤ ਨਾਲਿ ਭਾਈ ॥
किस ही धड़ा कीआ मित्र सुत नालि भाई ॥
Kis hī ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā miṯar suṯ nāl bẖā▫ī.
Some form alliances with friends, children and siblings.

ਕਿਸ ਹੀ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਕੁੜਮ ਸਕੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਜਵਾਈ ॥
किस ही धड़ा कीआ कुड़म सके नालि जवाई ॥
Kis hī ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā kuṛam sake nāl javā▫ī.
Some form alliances with in-laws and relatives.

ਕਿਸ ਹੀ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਸਿਕਦਾਰ ਚਉਧਰੀ ਨਾਲਿ ਆਪਣੈ ਸੁਆਈ ॥
किस ही धड़ा कीआ सिकदार चउधरी नालि आपणै सुआई ॥
Kis hī ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā sikḏār cẖa▫uḏẖrī nāl āpṇai su▫ā▫ī.
Some form alliances with chiefs and leaders for their own selfish motives.

ਹਮਾਰਾ ਧੜਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਈ ॥੧॥
हमारा धड़ा हरि रहिआ समाई ॥१॥
Hamārā ḏẖaṛā har rahi▫ā samā▫ī. ||1||
My alliance is with the Lord, who is pervading everywhere. ||1||

ਹਮ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਮੇਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਟੇਕ ॥
हम हरि सिउ धड़ा कीआ मेरी हरि टेक ॥
Ham har si▫o ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā merī har tek.
I have formed my alliance with the Lord; the Lord is my only support.

ਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਪਖੁ ਧੜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕੋਈ ਹਉ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਾ ਅਸੰਖ ਅਨੇਕ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
मै हरि बिनु पखु धड़ा अवरु न कोई हउ हरि गुण गावा असंख अनेक ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Mai har bin pakẖ ḏẖaṛā avar na ko▫ī ha▫o har guṇ gāvā asaʼnkẖ anek. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Other than the Lord, I have no other faction or alliance; I sing of the countless and endless Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਸਿਉ ਧੜੇ ਕਰਹਿ ਸੇ ਜਾਹਿ ॥
जिन्ह सिउ धड़े करहि से जाहि ॥
Jinĥ si▫o ḏẖaṛe karahi se jāhi.
Those with whom you form alliances, shall perish.

ਝੂਠੁ ਧੜੇ ਕਰਿ ਪਛੋਤਾਹਿ ॥
झूठु धड़े करि पछोताहि ॥
Jẖūṯẖ ḏẖaṛe kar pacẖẖoṯāhi.
Making false alliances, the mortals repent and regret in the end.

ਥਿਰੁ ਨ ਰਹਹਿ ਮਨਿ ਖੋਟੁ ਕਮਾਹਿ ॥
थिरु न रहहि मनि खोटु कमाहि ॥
Thir na rahėh man kẖot kamāhi.
Those who practice falsehood shall not last.

ਹਮ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਕੋਈ ਸਮਰਥੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੨॥
हम हरि सिउ धड़ा कीआ जिस का कोई समरथु नाहि ॥२॥
Ham har si▫o ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā jis kā ko▫ī samrath nāhi. ||2||
I have formed my alliance with the Lord; there is no one more powerful than Him. ||2||

ਏਹ ਸਭਿ ਧੜੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਪਸਾਰੀ ॥
एह सभि धड़े माइआ मोह पसारी ॥
Ėh sabẖ ḏẖaṛe mā▫i▫ā moh pasārī.
All these alliances are mere extensions of the love of Maya.

ਮਾਇਆ ਕਉ ਲੂਝਹਿ ਗਾਵਾਰੀ ॥
माइआ कउ लूझहि गावारी ॥
Mā▫i▫ā ka▫o lūjẖėh gāvārī.
Only fools argue over Maya.

ਜਨਮਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਜੂਐ ਬਾਜੀ ਹਾਰੀ ॥
जनमि मरहि जूऐ बाजी हारी ॥
Janam marėh jū▫ai bājī hārī.
They are born, and they die, and they lose the game of life in the gamble.

ਹਮਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਧੜਾ ਜਿ ਹਲਤੁ ਪਲਤੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥੩॥
हमरै हरि धड़ा जि हलतु पलतु सभु सवारी ॥३॥
Hamrai har ḏẖaṛā jė halaṯ palaṯ sabẖ savārī. ||3||
My alliance is with the Lord, who embellishes all, in this world and the next. ||3||

ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਧੜੇ ਪੰਚ ਚੋਰ ਝਗੜਾਏ ॥
कलिजुग महि धड़े पंच चोर झगड़ाए ॥
Kalijug mėh ḏẖaṛe pancẖ cẖor jẖagṛā▫e.
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the five thieves instigate alliances and conflicts.

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ਵਧਾਏ ॥
कामु क्रोधु लोभु मोहु अभिमानु वधाए ॥
Kām kroḏẖ lobẖ moh abẖimān vaḏẖā▫e.
Sexual desire, anger, greed, emotional attachment and self-conceit have increased.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਤਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਏ ॥
जिस नो क्रिपा करे तिसु सतसंगि मिलाए ॥
Jis no kirpā kare ṯis saṯsang milā▫e.
One who is blessed by the Lord's Grace, joins the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation.

ਹਮਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਧੜਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਏਹ ਧੜੇ ਸਭਿ ਗਵਾਏ ॥੪॥
हमरा हरि धड़ा जिनि एह धड़े सभि गवाए ॥४॥
Hamrā har ḏẖaṛā jin eh ḏẖaṛe sabẖ gavā▫e. ||4||
My alliance is with the Lord, who has destroyed all these alliances. ||4||

ਮਿਥਿਆ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਧੜੇ ਬਹਿ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
मिथिआ दूजा भाउ धड़े बहि पावै ॥
Mithi▫ā ḏūjā bẖā▫o ḏẖaṛe bahi pāvai.
In the false love of duality, people sit and form alliances.

ਪਰਾਇਆ ਛਿਦ੍ਰੁ ਅਟਕਲੈ ਆਪਣਾ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਵਧਾਵੈ ॥
पराइआ छिद्रु अटकलै आपणा अहंकारु वधावै ॥
Parā▫i▫ā cẖẖiḏar atkalai āpṇā ahaʼnkār vaḏẖāvai.
They complain about other peoples' faults, while their own self-conceit only increases.

ਜੈਸਾ ਬੀਜੈ ਤੈਸਾ ਖਾਵੈ ॥
जैसा बीजै तैसा खावै ॥
Jaisā bījai ṯaisā kẖāvai.
As they plant, so shall they harvest.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਧੜਾ ਧਰਮੁ ਸਭ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਜਿਣਿ ਆਵੈ ॥੫॥੨॥੫੪॥
जन नानक का हरि धड़ा धरमु सभ स्रिसटि जिणि आवै ॥५॥२॥५४॥
Jan Nānak kā har ḏẖaṛā ḏẖaram sabẖ sarisat jiṇ āvai. ||5||2||54||
Servant Nanak has joined the Lord's alliance of Dharma, which shall conquer the whole world. ||5||2||54||

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Raman S ji the only change I will make in your preamble to the Shabad is in red below as excerpted,

My understanding is that our relationship with God (understanding of creator and the creation) is the only relationship (truth) we have that will be our support at all times. All other relationships ultimately come to an end. Also, by forgetting God (not understanding creator and the creation) , our worldly relationships are seen as entanglements and are subject to being dominated by lust, anger, greed, attachment, and ego. This does not mean that we should abandon all worldly relationships. But by always being aware of our primary relationship being with God (true understanding of creator and the creation) we will strive to act with love, compassion, humility, truthfulness, and contentment in our worldly relations. I'm a newbie to Gurbani Vichaar too and I appreciate everyone else's thoughts and opinions.

Raman S ji the essence of the above comments is to totally remove ambiguity about the way forward. Key enforcer and enhancer over time is the focus on understanding and always living in consonance with your understanding. Relationships come and go even with the almighty, but understanding never dissipates unless one gets sick, etc., that impacts holding on to the understanding.

Even living in consonance is a big challenge but it is recognized as a challenge through understanding hence best chance of achievement.

If I may coin a phrase and I may be repeating that has been said by someone else as follows,

Life's issues are not based on a lack of belief in the creator, but more so in the understanding of the creator.

From Gurmat Vicchar perspective, I believe the above approach takes you beyond literals when understanding Gurbani and takes you closer to the essence of what Guru ji and Gurbani say.

One suggestion if I may make based on the assumption that you can read Punjabi. When quoting a Shabad, read Professor Sahib Singh ji's Viakhiya and don't believe 100% what you read but use it to provide a summary of your understanding of the Shabad. Don't be worried in case someone proves one wrong in such. You will get ahead of most in very short time and benefit.

Hope above is clear and of value.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
The following example specially for Raman S as to how I try to understand and in reference to possible ways to do Gurmat vicchar,

ਰਾਗੁ ਆਸਾ ਘਰੁ ਮਹਲਾ
रागु आसा घरु २ महला ४ ॥
Rāg āsā gẖar 2 mėhlā 4.
Raag Aasaa, Second House, Fourth Mehl:
xxx

ਰਾਗ ਆਸਾ, ਘਰ ੨ ਵਿੱਚ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਜੀ ਦੀ ਬਾਣੀ।

ਕਿਸ ਹੀ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਸੁਤ ਨਾਲਿ ਭਾਈ ਕਿਸ ਹੀ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਕੁੜਮ ਸਕੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਜਵਾਈ ਕਿਸ ਹੀ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਸਿਕਦਾਰ ਚਉਧਰੀ ਨਾਲਿ ਆਪਣੈ ਸੁਆਈ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਧੜਾ ਹਰਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਈ ॥੧॥
किस ही धड़ा कीआ मित्र सुत नालि भाई ॥ किस ही धड़ा कीआ कुड़म सके नालि जवाई ॥ किस ही धड़ा कीआ सिकदार चउधरी नालि आपणै सुआई ॥ हमारा धड़ा हरि रहिआ समाई ॥१॥
Kis hī ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā miṯar suṯ nāl bẖā▫ī. Kis hī ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā kuṛam sake nāl javā▫ī. Kis hī ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā sikḏār cẖa▫uḏẖrī nāl āpṇai su▫ā▫ī. Hamārā ḏẖaṛā har rahi▫ā samā▫ī. ||1||
Some form alliances with friends, children and siblings. Some form alliances with in-laws and relatives. Some form alliances with chiefs and leaders for their own selfish motives. My alliance is with the Lord, who is pervading everywhere. ||1||
ਕਿਸ ਹੀ = ਕਿਸਹਿ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੇ। ਸੁਤ = ਪੁੱਤਰ। ਸਿਕਦਾਰ = ਸਰਦਾਰ। ਸੁਆਈ = ਸੁਆਇ, ਸੁਆਰਥ ਵਾਸਤੇ।੧।

ਕਿਸੇ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਮਿੱਤਰ ਨਾਲ ਪੁੱਤਰ ਨਾਲ ਭਰਾ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਥ ਗੰਢਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਸੱਕੇ ਕੁੜਮ ਨਾਲ ਜਵਾਈ ਨਾਲ ਧੜਾ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ, ਕਿਸੇ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੀ ਗ਼ਰਜ਼ ਦੀ ਖ਼ਾਤਰ (ਪਿੰਡ ਦੇ) ਸਰਦਾਰ ਨਾਲ ਚੌਧਰੀ ਨਾਲ ਧੜਾ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ; ਪਰ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਾਥੀ ਉਹ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਸਭ ਥਾਈਂ ਮੌਜੂਦ ਹੈ।੧।
Some may have alliance(s) with friend, son, brother, father of the spouse(s) to son(s)/daughter(s), son-in-law, the local landlord, the local politician, but my alliance is with the creator pervading everywhere.

ਹਮ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਮੇਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਟੇਕ ਮੈ ਹਰਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਪਖੁ ਧੜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਕੋਈ ਹਉ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਾ ਅਸੰਖ ਅਨੇਕ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
हम हरि सिउ धड़ा कीआ मेरी हरि टेक ॥ मै हरि बिनु पखु धड़ा अवरु न कोई हउ हरि गुण गावा असंख अनेक ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ham har si▫o ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā merī har tek. Mai har bin pakẖ ḏẖaṛā avar na ko▫ī ha▫o har guṇ gāvā asaʼnkẖ anek. ||1|| rahā▫o.
I have formed my alliance with the Lord; the Lord is my only support. Other than the Lord, I have no other faction or alliance; I sing of the countless and endless Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||Pause||
ਟੇਕ = ਆਸਰਾ। ਅਸੰਖ = ਅਣਗਿਣਤ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

ਅਸਾਂ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਥ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਹੈ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਹੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਹੈ। ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਹੋਰ ਕੋਈ ਪੱਖ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੋਈ ਧੜਾ ਨਹੀਂ। ਮੈਂ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਹੀ ਅਨੇਕਾਂ ਤੇ ਅਣਗਿਣਤ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਂਦਾ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹਾਂ।੧।ਰਹਾਉ।

My alliance is with the creator, and that is my support. I make no other alliance and only marvel at the infinite virtues of the creator.

ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਸਿਉ ਧੜੇ ਕਰਹਿ ਸੇ ਜਾਹਿ ਝੂਠੁ ਧੜੇ ਕਰਿ ਪਛੋਤਾਹਿ ਥਿਰੁ ਰਹਹਿ ਮਨਿ ਖੋਟੁ ਕਮਾਹਿ ਹਮ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਧੜਾ ਕੀਆ ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਕੋਈ ਸਮਰਥੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੨॥
जिन्ह सिउ धड़े करहि से जाहि ॥ झूठु धड़े करि पछोताहि ॥ थिरु न रहहि मनि खोटु कमाहि ॥ हम हरि सिउ धड़ा कीआ जिस का कोई समरथु नाहि ॥२॥
Jinĥ si▫o ḏẖaṛe karahi se jāhi. Jẖūṯẖ ḏẖaṛe kar pacẖẖoṯāhi. Thir na rahėh man kẖot kamāhi. Ham har si▫o ḏẖaṛā kī▫ā jis kā ko▫ī samrath nāhi. ||2||
Those with whom you form alliances, shall perish. Making false alliances, the mortals repent and regret in the end. Those who practice falsehood shall not last. I have formed my alliance with the Lord; there is no one more powerful than Him. ||2||
ਮਨਿ = ਮਨ ਵਿਚ। ਖੋਟੁ = ਠੱਗੀ। ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਸਮਰਥੁ = ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਬਰਾਬਰ ਦਾ।੨।

ਲੋਕ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਬੰਦਿਆਂ ਨਾਲ ਧੜੇ ਗੰਢਦੇ ਹਨ ਉਹ (ਆਖ਼ਰ ਜਗਤ ਤੋਂ) ਕੂਚ ਕਰ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ, (ਧੜੇ ਬਣਾਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਇਹ) ਝੂਠਾ ਅਡੰਬਰ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਇਹ ਧੜੇ ਬਣਾ ਕੇ (ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਮਰਨ ਤੇ) ਪਛੁਤਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ। (ਧੜੇ ਬਣਾਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਆਪ ਭੀ) ਸਦਾ (ਦੁਨੀਆ ਵਿਚ) ਟਿਕੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ, (ਵਿਅਰਥ ਹੀ ਧੜਿਆਂ ਦੀ ਖ਼ਾਤਰ ਆਪਣੇ) ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਠੱਗੀ-ਫ਼ਰੇਬ ਕਰਦੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ। ਪਰ ਮੈਂ ਤਾਂ ਉਸ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਆਪਣਾ ਸਾਥ ਬਣਾਇਆ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਬਰਾਬਰ ਦੀ ਤਾਕਤ ਰੱਖਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੋਰ ਕੋਈ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੈ।੨।
The alliances with others dissipate. The false alliances one regrets. Such don’t sustain with ill will in their mind. I made alliance with the one that no one compares to.

ਏਹ ਸਭਿ ਧੜੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਪਸਾਰੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਉ ਲੂਝਹਿ ਗਾਵਾਰੀ ਜਨਮਿ ਮਰਹਿ ਜੂਐ ਬਾਜੀ ਹਾਰੀ ਹਮਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਧੜਾ ਜਿ ਹਲਤੁ ਪਲਤੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਵਾਰੀ ॥੩॥
एह सभि धड़े माइआ मोह पसारी ॥ माइआ कउ लूझहि गावारी ॥ जनमि मरहि जूऐ बाजी हारी ॥ हमरै हरि धड़ा जि हलतु पलतु सभु सवारी ॥३॥
Ėh sabẖ ḏẖaṛe mā▫i▫ā moh pasārī. Mā▫i▫ā ka▫o lūjẖėh gāvārī. Janam marėh jū▫ai bājī hārī. Hamrai har ḏẖaṛā jė halaṯ palaṯ sabẖ savārī. ||3||
All these alliances are mere extensions of the love of Maya. Only fools argue over Maya. They are born, and they die, and they lose the game of life in the gamble. My alliance is with the Lord, who embellishes all, in this world and the next. ||3||
ਪਸਾਰੀ = ਖਿਲਾਰਾ। ਲੂਝਹਿ = ਝਗੜਦੇ ਹਨ। ਜਿ = ਜਿਹੜਾ। ਹਲਤੁ ਪਲਤੁ = ਇਹ ਲੋਕ ਤੇ ਪਰਲੋਕ।੩।

(ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ) ਇਹ ਸਾਰੇ ਧੜੇ ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਖਿਲਾਰਾ ਹਨ ਮੋਹ ਦਾ ਖਿਲਾਰਾ ਹਨ। (ਧੜੇ ਬਣਾਣ ਵਾਲੇ) ਮੂਰਖ ਲੋਕ ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਖ਼ਾਤਰ ਹੀ (ਆਪੋ ਵਿਚ) ਲੜਦੇ ਰਹਿੰਦੇ ਹਨ। (ਇਸ ਕਾਰਨ ਉਹ ਮੁੜ ਮੁੜ) ਜੰਮਦੇ ਹਨ ਮਰਦੇ ਹਨ, ਉਹ (ਮਾਨੋ) ਜੂਏ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ (ਮਨੁੱਖਾ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ) ਬਾਜ਼ੀ ਹਾਰ ਕੇ ਚਲੇ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ (ਜਿਸ ਵਿਚੋਂ ਹਾਸਲ ਕੁਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ)। ਪਰ ਮੇਰੇ ਨਾਲ ਤਾਂ ਸਾਥੀ ਹੈ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਜੋ ਮੇਰਾ ਲੋਕ ਤੇ ਪਰਲੋਕ ਸਭ ਕੁਝ ਸਵਾਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ।੩।
All these alliances are driven by the greed for possessions. The losers keep fighting about possessions. Life and death become like losing game in gambling. My alliance is with the creator ever there from the past and into the future.

ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਧੜੇ ਪੰਚ ਚੋਰ ਝਗੜਾਏ ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ ਵਧਾਏ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਤਸੰਗਿ ਮਿਲਾਏ ਹਮਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਧੜਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਏਹ ਧੜੇ ਸਭਿ ਗਵਾਏ ॥੪॥
कलिजुग महि धड़े पंच चोर झगड़ाए ॥ कामु क्रोधु लोभु मोहु अभिमानु वधाए ॥ जिस नो क्रिपा करे तिसु सतसंगि मिलाए ॥ हमरा हरि धड़ा जिनि एह धड़े सभि गवाए ॥४॥
Kalijug mėh ḏẖaṛe pancẖ cẖor jẖagṛā▫e. Kām kroḏẖ lobẖ moh abẖimān vaḏẖā▫e. Jis no kirpā kare ṯis saṯsang milā▫e. Hamrā har ḏẖaṛā jin eh ḏẖaṛe sabẖ gavā▫e. ||4||
In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, the five thieves instigate alliances and conflicts. Sexual desire, anger, greed, emotional attachment and self-conceit have increased. One who is blessed by the Lord's Grace, joins the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation. My alliance is with the Lord, who has destroyed all these alliances. ||4||
ਕਲਿਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ = ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਤੋਂ ਵਿਛੜ ਕੇ। ਜਿਨਿ = ਜਿਸ ਨੇ। ਸਭਿ = ਸਾਰੇ।੪।

ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਵਿਛੜ ਕੇ (ਕਲਿਜੁਗੀ ਸੁਭਾਵ ਵਿਚ ਫਸ ਕੇ) ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਦੇ ਧੜੇ ਬਣਦੇ ਹਨ, ਕਾਮਾਦਿਕ ਪੰਜਾਂ ਚੋਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਝਗੜੇ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੁੰਦੇ ਹਨ, (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਵਿਛੋੜਾ ਮਨੁੱਖਾਂ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ) ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਅਤੇ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਨੂੰ ਵਧਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਜਿਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਉਤੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਮੇਹਰ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਵਿਚ ਮਿਲਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (ਤੇ ਉਹ ਇਹਨਾਂ ਪੰਜਾਂ ਚੋਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਮਾਰ ਤੋਂ ਬਚਦਾ ਹੈ)। (ਹੇ ਭਾਈ!) ਮੇਰੀ ਮਦਦ ਤੇ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਆਪ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਨੇ (ਮੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰੋਂ) ਇਹ ਸਾਰੇ ਧੜੇ ਮੁਕਾ ਦਿੱਤੇ ਹੋਏ ਹਨ।੪।
Separated from the creator, the five instigators start fights. Lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego grow. The one blessed fortunate, finds company of truth centric. My ally is the creator who forsakes all other alliances.

ਮਿਥਿਆ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਧੜੇ ਬਹਿ ਪਾਵੈ ਪਰਾਇਆ ਛਿਦ੍ਰੁ ਅਟਕਲੈ ਆਪਣਾ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਵਧਾਵੈ ਜੈਸਾ ਬੀਜੈ ਤੈਸਾ ਖਾਵੈ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਹਰਿ ਧੜਾ ਧਰਮੁ ਸਭ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਜਿਣਿ ਆਵੈ ॥੫॥੨॥੫੪॥
मिथिआ दूजा भाउ धड़े बहि पावै ॥ पराइआ छिद्रु अटकलै आपणा अहंकारु वधावै ॥ जैसा बीजै तैसा खावै ॥ जन नानक का हरि धड़ा धरमु सभ स्रिसटि जिणि आवै ॥५॥२॥५४॥
Mithi▫ā ḏūjā bẖā▫o ḏẖaṛe bahi pāvai. Parā▫i▫ā cẖẖiḏar atkalai āpṇā ahaʼnkār vaḏẖāvai. Jaisā bījai ṯaisā kẖāvai. Jan Nānak kā har ḏẖaṛā ḏẖaram sabẖ sarisat jiṇ āvai. ||5||2||54||
In the false love of duality, people sit and form alliances. They complain about other peoples' faults, while their own self-conceit only increases. As they plant, so shall they harvest. Servant Nanak has joined the Lord's alliance of Dharma, which shall conquer the whole world. ||5||2||54||
ਮਿਥਿਆ = ਝੂਠਾ, ਵਿਅਰਥ। ਭਾਉ = ਪਿਆਰ। ਅਟਕਲੈ = ਜਾਚਦਾ ਹੈ। ਛਿਦ੍ਰੁ = ਐਬ। ਜਿਣਿ = ਜਿੱਤ ਕੇ।੫।

(ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨੂੰ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ) ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਝੂਠਾ ਪਿਆਰ (ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ) ਟਿਕ ਕੇ ਧੜੇ (-ਬਾਜ਼ੀਆਂ) ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਮੋਹ ਦੇ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵ ਹੇਠ ਮਨੁੱਖ) ਹੋਰਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਐਬ ਜਾਚਦਾ ਫਿਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ (ਇਸ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਨੂੰ ਚੰਗਾ ਸਮਝ ਕੇ) ਆਪਣਾ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਵਧਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ। (ਹੋਰਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਐਬ ਫਰੋਲ ਕੇ ਤੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਨੂੰ ਨੇਕ ਮਿਥ ਮਿਥ ਕੇ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਆਪਣੇ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਵਾਸਤੇ) ਜਿਹੋ ਜਿਹਾ ਬੀ ਬੀਜਦਾ ਹੈ ਉਹੋ ਜਿਹਾ ਫਲ ਹਾਸਲ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਦਾਸ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾ ਪੱਖ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਸਾਥੀ ਤਾਂ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਹੈ (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਆਸਰਾ ਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾ) ਧਰਮ ਹੈ (ਜਿਸ ਦੀ ਬਰਕਤਿ ਨਾਲ ਮਨੁੱਖ) ਸਾਰੀ ਸ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟੀ ਨੂੰ ਜਿੱਤ ਕੇ ਆ ਸਕਦਾ ਹੈ।੫।੨।੫੪।
The secondary love creates alliances. Finding faults in others, enhances the ego. You eat what you sow. Common Nanak’s alliance is with the creator who can be victorious over all.

Essence: Guru ji give numerous examples of false and un-enduring alliance and relationships driven by possessions and instigated by lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego. Guru ji extoll virtue of a truer relationship and alliance with the creator

All errors are mine and I stand corrected as always.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Bet Beh

SPNer
Jul 29, 2011
...Hope above is clear and of value....
Yes, very much so. Thanks to everyone for the clear explanations. In anyone's faith journey, it can be easy to misinterpret the meaning of passages without considering the context of what was written. Thus the reason for my question. Everyone here has been very kind in helping with this and it is appreciated.

Oct 21, 2009
India
I am a middle-aged cradle Catholic Christian who is challenging his long-held beliefs and practices. I do not have any theological problems with my faith perse, however how the church applies the faith in matters of the faith gives me reason to pause. I think of the scripture that says to the effect 'by their fruits you shall know them'. I have a tendency to believe that there is in fact a true faith that can be known, but I am open to others thoughts on this premise as well. I am looking for those who are knowledgeable in their beliefs to share them and give their best reasoning as to why the path they have chosen is the correct one. Thank you and I look forward to your thoughtful replies.

I have not seen the earlier post as your post was enough to tell as to that you want to discuss.

The truth is that we are all 'transients' and part of that WHOLE who by HIS order made us HIS parts of system as a whole.
AnD THAT WHOLE IS UNCHANGING..IT WAS ,IS AND SHALL BE AS IT IS>
That 'WHOLE' is that we have to integrate with.
The ultimate conclusion.
It would be as per HIS desires and Order and Wishes.
We have no say in these matters.
HIS command is that we all wait for,
For
we are also a small part of that WHOLE

RamanS

SPNer
Apr 19, 2011
Thank you Ambarsaria ji,

Your edit of my comments greatly helped my understanding and that quote was great. I am realizing just how important the words we use really are. I will definitely read Prof Sahib Singh's Viakhya from now on as a useful summary. Up to now, when I am trying to further my understanding I just click on the Gurbani Shabad to see the definition in srigranth.org. Replacing the word relationship I was using with understanding really clears up the meaning. Because we may feel we have a relationship with God or sometimes we might feel separated. But our understanding of Creator and creation will stay constant and guide us through life.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM