• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is The Truth Behind Claims That Sikhism Was Largely Influenced By Hinduism And Islam?

peterjack

SPNer
Jul 6, 2010
it is claimed by both hindus and muslims that sikhism was just a convienent way of creating a new identity. the first guru never intended it to be a religion; he just wanted something different as a way of worship.
what say you sikhs

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
peterjack ji

My problem with the question, "What is the truth behind claims that sikhism was influenced by hinduism and islam," lies in the semantics of the question itself.

What is meant by the word "influence?" Guru Nanak was no stranger to either religion, Hindu or Muslim. Some would like to argue that he took a little of this and a little of that and put it together to create "Sikhism." Careful reading of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, coupled with some knowledge of the biography of Guru Nanak's life and interactions with Hindus and Muslims. tells a different story. It tells the story of someone who refuses to judge or be scornful, but at the same time is pointing to the moral hypocrisy of adherents of those faiths in his day. Every shabad where he refers to Hindu devtas, concepts and practices, and the shabads where he refers to Islam, can be aligned with his travels. In each shabad he is explaining how there is a higher moral and spiritual calling that contemporary religion has ignored. That moral and spiritual truth is what he taught through the shabads.

So "influences?" In my opinion he was reacting to influences and suggesting we rise above those influences and take a different path.

In response to your second question: there is considerable scholarship that suggests that Guru Nanak had laid down the foundations of a "religion" during his lifetime. But let us not over-define the word "religion." What do you mean by "religion?" Guru Nanak had, by the time he founded Kartarpur, afollowing organized around a spiritual practice that was clearly distinct from other contemporary religious paths. He also had a following throughout India. He preached the importance of living the shabad guru, and the message of devotion, honesty and hard work. That may or may not describe a religion according to one's definition.

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
it is claimed by both hindus and muslims that sikhism was just a convienent way of creating a new identity. the first guru never intended it to be a religion; he just wanted something different as a way of worship.
what say you sikhs

You may want to look at this thread for some background:
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/spiri...ism-not-same-hinduism-islam-christianity.html

As for the question, I would say it doesn't make sense. You refer to not wanting a religion but still wanting a new way of worship?? Or am I missing something?

So a direct answer for now would be I think that view is complete rubbish

But that's just my humble opinion on the matter!

Feb 23, 2008
what say you sikhs

Dear Peterjack (2 first names - interesting)

Can u support your contention with facts & figures which will go to prove whether the first Guru - Guru Nanak Devji wanted to create a new identity?

My question on the rebound is if He did not intend to create a religion then how come it has been manifested - on it's own? Impossible.

He sowed the seeds for the same -- & the religion was nurtured by sacrifices of Guru Arjan Devji; Guru Teg Bhadur ji; Guru Gobind Singhji and his four sons who laid down their lives for the growth of the religion

In fact Guru Nanak Devji knew about this long before & advised all that:-

Jau Tau Prem Khelan Ka Chao
Sir Dhar Tali Gali Meri Aao
Itt marag Pair Dhareeje
Sir Deeje Kaan Na Keeje

(If you want to play the game of love for the Lord, put your head on the palm, then come to me. On this path, take the first step with the commitment that you have no hesitation to lay down your life for righteousness.)

& only those souls are invited into this religion who have the mental toughness & capability to sacrifice themselves for the protection & growth of the religion

In case you still have any doubts feel free to respond

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM