• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Ninda Or Nindeya Or Slander?

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

Ninda ( ਨਿੰਦਾ ninḏā) or Nindeya are words in Punjabi which mean to slander, slur, backbite or smear and are words used to describe a defamatory or negative statement made about someone. The derogatory account is usually made when the person about whom the venom is being spat is not present or is not within ear-shot of the conversation.

This type of harmful speech (or "Nindeya") is usually carried out to cause harm to the other person, to ruin the other person's reputation or generally to denigrate the other person's status. The main reason and motivation for slandering is that it gives the maker of the slander "satisfaction" as it makes them feel important and they feel they are "better" and more "righteous" than the person being slandered. The Sikh Gurus condemn this action and write against this ugly habit.

ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਮਲੁ ਲਾਏ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮਲੁ ਧੋਵੈ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਜੂਠਿ ਨ ਜਾਏ ॥
Par ninḏā karė anṯar mal lā*ė. Bāhar mal ḏẖovai man kī jūṯẖ na jā*ė.
He slanders others, and pollutes himself with his own filth.
Outwardly, he washes off the filth, but the impurity of his mind does not go away.
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p88)

By performing Nindeya, one pollutes ones own mind. When a person wants to tell a negative about someone else, it is the motivation that causes harm to the person doing the "nindeya". If you want to tell your friends something negative about another person - stop! Remember, the wise words of the Guru. If you are a Gurmukh move on to something else. Never engage in negative discussions about someone who is not present.

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਪਚਿ ਮੁਆ ਵਿਚਿ ਦੇਹੀ ਭਖੈ ॥
Ninḏā karḏā pacẖ mu*ā vicẖ ḏėhī bẖakẖai.
Slandering others, he wastes away and dies; within his body, he burns.
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p315)

Truth can also be nindeya

Some say that telling the truth that is negative is acceptable to Sikhi. This is not correct and is against the words of the Guru. To tell a lie is a wrong and to do nindeya is also wrong. Why engage in telling negative truths about others? The main reason is because the person performing the "nindeya" and the one listening find some "comfort" and "satisfaction" in the performance of "nindeya". In the shabad below, the Guru tells us to shun several negative human activities; action and emotions that we should keep away from; These are: Lust, anger, lies, ninda, maya and ahankar.

You can see from this list that lies and "ninda" are treated separately as they are 2 different things - and both are vices which one needs to avoid to attain a better spiritual life. The shabad by Guru Ram Das is:

ਪਰਹਰਿ ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਤਜਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਚੁਕਾਵੈ ॥ ਤਜਿ ਕਾਮੁ ਕਾਮਿਨੀ ਮੋਹੁ ਤਜੈ ਤਾ ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥
Parhar kām kroḏẖ jẖūṯẖ ninḏā ṯaj mā*i*ā ahaʼnkār cẖukẖāvai. Ŧaj kām kāminī moh ṯajai ṯā anjan māhi niranjan pāvai.
Renounce lust, anger, lies and slander; forsake Maya and eliminate egotistical pride.
Renounce sexual desire and promiscuity, and give up emotional attachment.
Only then shall you obtain the Immaculate Lord amidst the darkness of the world.
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p88)

Listening to nindeya condemned

The Guru has harsh words for the person who just listens to "nindeya". So not only is the "nindak" (the slanderer) condemned by the Guru, so is the listener of "nindeya". As a Gurmukh if someone is telling "nindeya", just move away and do not be a part of this negative atmosphere - Do not join in and do not listen. If you can, politely tell your friends to not engage in this negative activity. Listening to this pollution will bring spiritual harm to you and your mind. Peace cannot enter the mind that listens or takes part in “nindeya”.

ਮਿਥਿਆ ਸ੍ਰਵਨ ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਸੁਨਹਿ ॥ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਹਸਤ ਪਰ ਦਰਬ ਕਉ ਹਿਰਹਿ ॥
Mithi*ā sarvan par ninḏā suneh. Mithi*ā hasaṯ par ḏarab ka*o hireh.
False are the ears which listen to the slander of others.
False are the hands which steal the wealth of others.
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p268)

If someone slanders you- consider this a blessing!

ਨਿੰਦਉ ਨਿੰਦਉ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਲੋਗੁ ਨਿੰਦਉ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਜਨ ਕਉ ਖਰੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਬਾਪੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਮਹਤਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Ninḏa*o ninḏa*o mo ka*o log ninḏa*o. Ninḏā jan ka*o kẖarī pi*ārī. Ninḏā bāp ninḏā mehṯārī. ॥1॥ rahā*o.
Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, slander me.
Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.
Slander is my father, slander is my mother. ॥1॥Pause॥
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p339)

Nindeya against a saint is worst sin

The Guru has the harshest words for the nindak (slanderer) who slanders a saint. Beware, hell will be your next stop if you slander a saint!

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਮਹਾ ਅਤਤਾਈ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਟਿਕਨੁ ਨ ਪਾਈ ॥
Sanṯ kā ninḏak mahā aṯṯā*ī. Sanṯ kā ninḏak kẖin tikan na pā*ī.
The slanderer of the Saint is the worst evil-doer. The slanderer of the Saint has not even a moment's rest.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਮਹਾ ਹਤਿਆਰਾ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰਿ ਮਾਰਾ ॥
Sanṯ kā ninḏak mahā haṯi*ārā. Sanṯ kā ninḏak parmėsur mārā.
The slanderer of the Saint is a brutal butcher. The slanderer of the Saint is cursed by the Transcendent Lord.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਰਾਜ ਤੇ ਹੀਨੁ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਦੁਖੀਆ ਅਰੁ ਦੀਨੁ ॥
Sanṯ kā ninḏak rāj ṯė hīn. Sanṯ kā ninḏak ḏukẖī*ā ar ḏīn.
The slanderer of the Saint has no kingdom. The slanderer of the Saint becomes miserable and poor.

ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਉ ਸਰਬ ਰੋਗ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਉ ਸਦਾ ਬਿਜੋਗ ॥
Sanṯ kė ninḏak ka*o sarab rog. Sanṯ kė ninḏak ka*o saḏā bijog.
The slanderer of the Saint contracts all diseases. The slanderer of the Saint is forever separated.

ਸੰਤ ਕੀ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਦੋਖ ਮਹਿ ਦੋਖੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੰਤ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਾ ਉਸ ਕਾ ਭੀ ਹੋਇ ਮੋਖੁ ॥੩॥
Sanṯ kī ninḏā ḏokẖ meh ḏokẖ. Nānak sanṯ bẖāvai ṯā us kā bẖī ho*ė mokẖ. ॥3॥
To slander a Saint is the worst sin of sins. O Nanak, if it pleases the Saint, then even this one may be liberated.॥3॥

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਸਦਾ ਅਪਵਿਤੁ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਿਸੈ ਕਾ ਨਹੀ ਮਿਤੁ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī saḏā apviṯ. Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī kisai kā nahī miṯ.
The slanderer of the Saint is forever impure. The slanderer of the Saint is nobody's friend.

ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਡਾਨੁ ਲਾਗੈ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਸਭ ਤਿਆਗੈ ॥
Sanṯ kė ḏokẖī ka*o dān lāgai. Sanṯ kė ḏokẖī ka*o sabẖ ṯi*āgai.
The slanderer of the Saint shall be punished. The slanderer of the Saint is abandoned by all.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਮਹਾ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਸਦਾ ਬਿਕਾਰੀ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī mahā ahaʼnkārī. Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī saḏā bikārī.
The slanderer of the Saint is totally egocentric. The slanderer of the Saint is forever corrupt.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਜਨਮੈ ਮਰੈ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕੀ ਦੂਖਨਾ ਸੁਖ ਤੇ ਟਰੈ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī janmai marai. Sanṯ kī ḏūkẖnā sukẖ ṯė tarai.
The slanderer of the Saint must endure birth and death. The slanderer of the Saint is devoid of peace.

ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਠਾਉ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੰਤ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਾ ਲਏ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥੪॥
Sanṯ kė ḏokẖī ka*o nāhī ṯẖā*o. Nānak sanṯ bẖāvai ṯā la*ė milā*ė. ॥4॥
The slanderer of the Saint has no place of rest. O Nanak, if it pleases the Saint, then even such a one may merge in union. ॥4॥

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਅਧ ਬੀਚ ਤੇ ਟੂਟੈ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਿਤੈ ਕਾਜਿ ਨ ਪਹੂਚੈ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī aḏẖ bīcẖ ṯė tūtai. Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī kiṯai kāj na pahūcẖai.
The slanderer of the Saint breaks down mid-way. The slanderer of the Saint cannot accomplish his tasks.

ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਉਦਿਆਨ ਭ੍ਰਮਾਈਐ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਉਝੜਿ ਪਾਈਐ ॥
Sanṯ kė ḏokẖī ka*o uḏi*ān bẖarmā*ī*ai. Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī ujẖaṛ pā*ī*ai.
The slanderer of the Saint wanders in the wilderness. The slanderer of the Saint is misled into desolation.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਅੰਤਰ ਤੇ ਥੋਥਾ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਸਾਸ ਬਿਨਾ ਮਿਰਤਕ ਕੀ ਲੋਥਾ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī anṯar ṯė thothā. Ji*o sās binā mirṯak kī lothā.
The slanderer of the Saint is empty inside, like the corpse of a dead man, without the breath of life.

ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕੀ ਜੜ ਕਿਛੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥ ਆਪਨ ਬੀਜਿ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਖਾਹਿ ॥
Sanṯ kė ḏokẖī kī jaṛ kicẖẖ nāhi. Āpan bīj āpė hī kẖāhi.
The slanderer of the Saint has no heritage at all. He himself must eat what he has planted.

ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਰਾਖਨਹਾਰੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੰਤ ਭਾਵੈ ਤਾ ਲਏ ਉਬਾਰਿ ॥੫॥
Sanṯ kė ḏokẖī ka*o avar na rākẖanhār. Nānak sanṯ bẖāvai ṯā la*ė ubār. ॥5॥
The slanderer of the Saint cannot be saved by anyone else. O Nanak, if it pleases the Saint, then even he may be saved. ॥5॥

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਇਉ ਬਿਲਲਾਇ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਜਲ ਬਿਹੂਨ ਮਛੁਲੀ ਤੜਫੜਾਇ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī i*o billā*ė. Ji*o jal bihūn macẖẖulī ṯaṛafṛā*ė.
The slanderer of the Saint bewails like this - like a fish, out of water, writhing in agony.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਭੂਖਾ ਨਹੀ ਰਾਜੈ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਪਾਵਕੁ ਈਧਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਧ੍ਰਾਪੈ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī bẖūkẖā nahī rājai. Ji*o pāvak īḏẖan nahī ḏẖarāpai.
The slanderer of the Saint is hungry and is never satisfied, as fire is not satisfied by fuel.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਛੁਟੈ ਇਕੇਲਾ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਬੂਆੜੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਖੇਤ ਮਾਹਿ ਦੁਹੇਲਾ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī cẖẖutai ikėlā. Ji*o bū*āṛ ṯil kẖėṯ māhi ḏuhėlā.
The slanderer of the Saint is left all alone, like the miserable barren sesame stalk abandoned in the field.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਧਰਮ ਤੇ ਰਹਤ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਸਦ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਕਹਤ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī ḏẖaram ṯė rahaṯ. Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī saḏ mithi*ā kahaṯ.
The slanderer of the Saint is devoid of faith. The slanderer of the Saint constantly lies.

ਕਿਰਤੁ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਾ ਧੁਰਿ ਹੀ ਪਇਆ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੋਈ ਥਿਆ ॥੬॥
Kiraṯ ninḏak kā ḏẖur hī pa*i*ā. Nānak jo ṯis bẖāvai so*ī thi*ā. ॥6॥
The fate of the slanderer is pre-ordained from the very beginning of time. O Nanak, whatever pleases God's Will comes to pass. ॥6॥

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਬਿਗੜ ਰੂਪੁ ਹੋਇ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕਉ ਦਰਗਹ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī bigaṛ rūp ho*ė jā*ė. Sanṯ kė ḏokẖī ka*o ḏargeh milai sajā*ė.
The slanderer of the Saint becomes deformed. The slanderer of the Saint receives his punishment in the Court of the Lord.

ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਸਦਾ ਸਹਕਾਈਐ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਨ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਜੀਵਾਈਐ ॥
Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī saḏā sahkā*ī*ai. Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī na marai na jīvā*ī*ai.
The slanderer of the Saint is eternally in limbo. He does not die, but he does not live either.

ਸੰਤ ਕੇ ਦੋਖੀ ਕੀ ਪੁਜੈ ਨ ਆਸਾ ॥ ਸੰਤ ਕਾ ਦੋਖੀ ਉਠਿ ਚਲੈ ਨਿਰਾਸਾ ॥
Sanṯ kė ḏokẖī kī pujai na āsā. Sanṯ kā ḏokẖī uṯẖ cẖalai nirāsā.
The hopes of the slanderer of the Saint are not fulfilled. The slanderer of the Saint departs disappointed.

ਸੰਤ ਕੈ ਦੋਖਿ ਨ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਟੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਜੈਸਾ ਭਾਵੈ ਤੈਸਾ ਕੋਈ ਹੋਇ ॥
Sanṯ kai ḏokẖ na ṯaristai ko*ė. Jaisā bẖāvai ṯaisā ko*ī ho*ė.
Slandering the Saint, no one attains satisfaction. As it pleases the Lord, so do people become;

ਪਇਆ ਕਿਰਤੁ ਨ ਮੇਟੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਾਨੈ ਸਚਾ ਸੋਇ ॥੭॥
Pa*i*ā kiraṯ na mėtai ko*ė. Nānak jānai sacẖā so*ė. ॥7॥
no one can erase their past actions. O Nanak, the True Lord alone knows all. ॥7॥
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p280)

Slander and praise both rejected

On the one hand we slander some and then on the other hand we praise others to gain favours; the Guru rejects this completely. To praise just to gain political mileage is not accepted by the Guru.

ਹਉ ਤੁਧੁ ਆਖਾ ਮੇਰੀ ਕਾਇਆ ਤੂੰ ਸੁਣਿ ਸਿਖ ਹਮਾਰੀ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਚਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਪਰਾਈ ਝੂਠੀ ਲਾਇਤਬਾਰੀ ॥
Ha*o ṯuḏẖ ākẖā mėrī kā*i*ā ṯūʼn suṇ sikẖ hamārī. Ninḏā cẖinḏā karahi parā*ī jẖūṯẖī lā*iṯbārī.
I say to you, O my body: listen to my advice!
You slander, and then praise others; you indulge in lies and gossip.
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p155)

Other relevant bani

ਜੋ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਕੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਮਾਰ ਦਿਵਾਵੈ ॥
Jo ninḏā karė saṯgur pūrė kī ṯis karṯā mār ḏivāvai.
But one who slanders the Perfect True Guru, shall be killed and destroyed by the Creator.
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p303)

ਪਰਾਈ ਜੋ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਚੁਗਲੀ ਨੋ ਵੇਮੁਖੁ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਭੇਜਿਆ ਓਥੈ ਭੀ ਮੁਹੁ ਕਾਲਾ ਦੁਹਾ ਵੇਮੁਖਾ ਦਾ ਕਰਾਇਆ ॥
Parā*ī jo ninḏā cẖuglī no vaimukẖ kar kai bẖėji*ā othai bẖī muhu kālā ḏuhā vėmukẖā ḏā karā*i*ā.
The faithless baymukh was sent to slander and back-bite others, but when he went there, the faces of both he and his faithless master were blackened instead.
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p306)

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਬਹੁ ਭਾਰੁ ਉਠਾਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਮਜੂਰੀ ਭਾਰੁ ਪਹੁਚਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੪॥
Ninḏā kar kar baho bẖār uṯẖāvai bin majūrī bẖār pahucẖāvaṇi*ā. ॥4॥
By continually slandering others, they carry a terrible load, and they carry the loads of others for nothing. ॥4॥
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p118)

ਸਤ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੀ ਤਪਾ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੈ ਕੀ ਉਸਤਤੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਏਤੁ ਦੋਖੈ ਤਪਾ ਦਯਿ ਮਾਰਿਆ ॥
Saṯ purakẖ kī ṯapā ninḏā karai sansārai kī usṯaṯī vicẖ hovai ėṯ ḏokẖai ṯapā ḏa*yi māri*ā.
The penitent slanders the True Primal Being, and sings the praises of the material world. For this sin, he is cursed by the Lord. (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p315)

source: http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Ninda

Attachments

• nindya slander.jpg
    nindya slander.jpg
    16.6 KB · Reads: 582

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Re: What is Ninda or Nindeya?

"If someone slanders you- consider this a blessing!

ਨਿੰਦਉ ਨਿੰਦਉ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਲੋਗੁ ਨਿੰਦਉ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਜਨ ਕਉ ਖਰੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਬਾਪੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਮਹਤਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Ninḏa*o ninḏa*o mo ka*o log ninḏa*o. Ninḏā jan ka*o kẖarī pi*ārī. Ninḏā bāp ninḏā mehṯārī. ॥1॥ rahā*o.
Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, slander me.
Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.
Slander is my father, slander is my mother. ॥1॥Pause॥
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji p339)"

Thank you for sharing this!
However, its not always easy to consider slander to you a blessing. But the only other option is to return it with... the same? and in that process there is spiritual harm. It can be very difficult to practice, especially when someone is persistent.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: