• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Jhatka? Tricky Reality

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKALJI.

With all the respect my concern is all Eskimo,Inuit,Saberions live over three thousand years on meat but meat for thier survial.

Accroding to our readings and single out meat eating as written "ASANKH GAL WAD HATYA KAMAAHi PAURI 18 means all these people are destined for HELL.

Many Prophets ,Gurus came in this world to show us the ways to realize the TRUTH (GOD) by same ways until whole thing is distorted by preachers or custodian of any organized religion.

Meat eating or any thing consuming is entirely personal choice of each of us

But some people who visited Mecca for Haj ,come back to his folks and made their life by miserable by advising every one to go for HAZ instead of changing himself.

We are what we think and thinking can be imporved by reading the Gurbani to understand its true meanings.

Jaspi

manes_palam

SPNer
Nov 5, 2006
Jhatka or Halal

i have done my hotel management ... and i was amazed to learn this when they taught us ...about the procedures in the abatoirs ....

when the animal is brought into the slaughter houses they are kept very comfortably so their is no stress .... even when they slaughter them .. first they quickly stun them with a bullet in the head (and they are completely down in a sec)... they do this as they don;t want stress harmones to be released into the blood which then into the flesh , which we eat. and then they do their cleaning process and the meat is harmless for the human body to consume.................this is equal to jhatka ...where head is chopped off quickly( we also cant do jhatka to bigger animals) halal does it slowly ...... where animal is under constant stress... but they cut the main chord which carries blood close to neck and let all the blood drain off...which is again harmless meat as all the hormones are out through blood.

i guess muslims cant halal pigs coz of thick skin(pig can only be killed by stabbing in the heart or stun gun ) that's why its haram.

gurus or prophets always had logic behind everything they did....probaly guru gobind singh ji prohibited halal just to challenge mughal empire ... where he preffered jhatka better meat as well. jhatka or halal really didn;t make a taste difference as long as its hormone free .... but it makes sense if you want to challenge someone...

i have seen abatoirs in australia which are halal certified and only thing they do is play a tape while doing their job.

i had a muslim customer came to our restaurant and she wont eat any meat as this is not halal...but she will eat fish or prawns ....everyone was laughing in the kitchenn as we dont halal fish either ....she might had her own reasons may she thought of fish not having blood . i dont know ... fanatic or logical .....

and about myself im not vegetarian / nor im non vegetarian .... every person has its own circumstances .... i guess what ill do if im lost in a desert ... eat lizards .....eat whatever that takes one to chardikala

waheguru

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I base my opinion on the following definitions

Halal:
Halal actually means lawful. In islamic terms Halal means anything that is lawful in Islam religion.

Haq-Halal:
We usually see people using this term in Punjabi language too. It means anyting that is earned rightously and lawfully.

Haraam:
Haraam is opposite of Halal, it means anything that is unlawful.

Mashbooh:
Mashbooh is the term used to refer to anything that is questionable, that is their are doubts of it being halal or haraam.

However, in the wider society, Term Halal these days is more commonly known as related to food especially meat products and how they are prepared. Whereas it can apply to anything that is not lawfull in one particular regime be it islam or some other. So anything that is not halal is either Haraam or Mashbooh.

In my opinion, I believe there are two more terms that we should be clear before discussing such things and those are:

1: Concept ( Theme or Base)
2: Practice (ie. Actual way of acting on certain concept)

Halal is a CONCEPT, to distinguish a lawful act from an unlawful act in certain Laws.

Slaughtering the animal in Muslim way (killing animal slowly) is a PRACTICE, which they believe makes it lawful in Islamic laws ie. Halal.

Gurbani never objected to the concept but objected to the practices that don’t hold grounds based on the concept itself.

Because practices are manmade, so they are always topic of controversies.

Same is true for Jhatka. Jhatka is a practice. It is based on the concept of killing animal instantly in one clean shot to reduce the suffering and pain. The intention behind killing animal in this way is solely to cook its meat and eat it.

Now the concept behind Halal meat is killing animal as an offering to GOD and cook the meat. Which Gurmat says is false practice as GOD never ate that meat or any part of it.

It is similar to the situation where Guru Nanak opposed the practice of offering water to Sun by Hindu priests, as Guru ji said water never reached SUN in practice.

It is all about underlying intention behind any practice or action. Action may be justified as right but if the hidden underlying intention is different, then any act based on that intention can’t be right.

We people knowingly or unknowingly fail to identify our true underlying intentions behind any act or practice, which is the dilemma of human nature. We can only identify it right by understanding our own "ManN" first, which gurbani guides us towards.

Having said that there are lots of wrong practices that we follow even in Sikhism these days which have entered into Sikh practices from the influences of surrounding society we live in, hidden under the shield of deep faith and offering More respect to our GURU.

Rest on your thoughts..
:interestedsingh:

Excellent post!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Jhatka or Halal

i have done my hotel management ... and i was amazed to learn this when they taught us ...about the procedures in the abatoirs ....

when the animal is brought into the slaughter houses they are kept very comfortably so their is no stress .... even when they slaughter them .. first they quickly stun them with a bullet in the head (and they are completely down in a sec)... they do this as they don;t want stress harmones to be released into the blood which then into the flesh , which we eat. and then they do their cleaning process and the meat is harmless for the human body to consume.................this is equal to jhatka ...where head is chopped off quickly( we also cant do jhatka to bigger animals) halal does it slowly ...... where animal is under constant stress... but they cut the main chord which carries blood close to neck and let all the blood drain off...which is again harmless meat as all the hormones are out through blood.

i guess muslims cant halal pigs coz of thick skin(pig can only be killed by stabbing in the heart or stun gun ) that's why its haram.

gurus or prophets always had logic behind everything they did....probaly guru gobind singh ji prohibited halal just to challenge mughal empire ... where he preffered jhatka better meat as well. jhatka or halal really didn;t make a taste difference as long as its hormone free .... but it makes sense if you want to challenge someone...

i have seen abatoirs in australia which are halal certified and only thing they do is play a tape while doing their job.

i had a muslim customer came to our restaurant and she wont eat any meat as this is not halal...but she will eat fish or prawns ....everyone was laughing in the kitchenn as we dont halal fish either ....she might had her own reasons may she thought of fish not having blood . i dont know ... fanatic or logical .....

and about myself im not vegetarian / nor im non vegetarian .... every person has its own circumstances .... i guess what ill do if im lost in a desert ... eat lizards .....eat whatever that takes one to chardikala

waheguru
manes_palam ji, wow great to the point post on the thread subject.

Trying to bring in too much pseudo spirituality into everything can sometimes be counter-productive as some of the posts have shown in this thread. But to each their own.

Yup I also mentioned about the "tape music" disco halal in Canada too.lol

Thank you so much.

Sat Sri Akal.mundahug

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
SS AKALJI.

With all the respect my concern is all Eskimo,Inuit,Saberions live over three thousand years on meat but meat for thier survial.

Accroding to our readings and single out meat eating as written "ASANKH GAL WAD HATYA KAMAAHi PAURI 18 means all these people are destined for HELL.

Many Prophets ,Gurus came in this world to show us the ways to realize the TRUTH (GOD) by same ways until whole thing is distorted by preachers or custodian of any organized religion.

Meat eating or any thing consuming is entirely personal choice of each of us

But some people who visited Mecca for Haj ,come back to his folks and made their life by miserable by advising every one to go for HAZ instead of changing himself.

We are what we think and thinking can be imporved by reading the Gurbani to understand its true meanings.

Jaspi

Jaspi ji,

I think we have had this conversation on fools who wrangle over flesh. their is only one shabad where meat is tackled, and that is quoted.

Every other shabad that people claim to be about meat is usually twisted to mean that.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM