• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Gurdwaaraa?

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!
Dear all!

Most people think Gurdwaaraa is a building and has an address.
Have all Sikhs also found one?

Please express your views.

Balbir Singh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
In the Thai language Wat means Temple while Wat Sikh means Gurdwara.

In the Malay language, Tokong means Temple, while Tokong Sikh means Gurdwara.

If you told the cabbie you want to go to the Gurdwara, he might ask you,
"What is Gurdwara?"

My two cents.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Namjap Jee!

One may find Gurdwaaraa the Guru has mentioned.
Most of the people search and find Gurdwaaraa in a country with an address. A taxi driver can also lead one to that Gurdwaaraa.

Balbir Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Dear Santokh Ji,

There are many names for Places of worship:

Church for christians
Gurdwara for sikhs
Synagogue for jews
Mandir/temple for hindus
Vihara for bhudhists
Masjid/mosque for muslims
Derasar for jain
Kingdom Hall for Jehovah's witnesses

humbly asking for everybody's forgiveness

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all!

Quote from Surinder Jee "There are many names for Places of worship . . . Gurdwara for sikhs . . . "
I do not know where Gurdev has suggested Sikhs to name a building Gurdwaaraa then visiting it for worship.

Please ponder. Gurdev is singing.
BweI ry gur ibnu Bgiq n hoie ]
"bhaaee re binu gur bhagati na hoi." SGGS Ang 31-17
O Brother, without Gur worship does not take place.

Strange, some Baabaas and Beebees are preaching that worship takes place in a building specially built for Sikhs.

Balbir Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Pray for truth!

If anyone is looking for a gurdwara -- type gurdwara in the search bar at the top of the SPN page you are looking at. I posted several threads with Gurdwaras around the world.

You can also find the thread in New to Sikhi.

Just trying to be helpful.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
Balbir ji

i have seeked out a Gurdwara, but alas only I can go there alone... seems like you have to search one for urself

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Amarsanghera Jee!

Quote "i have seeked out a Gurdwara, but alas only I can go there alone... seems like you have to search one for urself."
Observing it is interesting. Every egotist seeks a Gurdwaaraa with confidence. His ego leads him to find one too.
I could never find a Gurdwaaraa myself till the true Guroo hold my finger. My wandering stopped when His Gur entered through the Door within. The true Gur-Dwaaraa is found since then.
Since then me too, am wondering God's Leelaa when I find people searching the Gurdwaaraa with a written address on paper in hand.

Balbir Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Can somenody tell a place WHERE GURU IS NOT PRESENT???????

hai koi jagah iss universe te jithe dhan dhan Guru Di Gaddi Birajmaan nahi, hai koi jagah aisee???????

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Respected surinder ji,

After going thru. the above question answer session, I am tempted to presume that the term Gurudwara [Guru +Dwara] is used as
Guru's+Gate.
The gate of Mukti or the Gate of salvation.
It has come in SGGS ji quite a couple of times. It cannot be a building. The querist might have this thing is in mind.
But then Gurudwara is a place of Holy sangat as well. In conventional use it is the gurudwara of building. Harmandar sahib ji is one of such a gurudwaras.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh80 ji

Doesn't it mean both things. Because there is the material world and the spiritual. Gurdwara when we are going to gurdwara. And the Gate or Threshold of the Guru when we read/hear Guruji.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Sikh80 Ji,

i have started a new thread named- place of worship, trying to talk about inner and outer place of worship..

Gurbani answers all of our questions .... always....

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Both Surinder and Sikh80, Please check your private messages. I am testing the 2 groups.

Thank you.

Looking at Dear Nanaak below -- What would he think about forums, social networks and e-groups? Oh well! He would smile. He is always smiling.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Veer Balbir Ji says:

Since then me too, am wondering God's Leelaa when I find people searching the Gurdwaaraa with a written address on paper in hand.

it means you are questionig God's LEELAA on SPN--- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for clarifying your intention in clear words, thanks a lot thanks a lot again and again..........

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
aado2 ji says

Looking at Dear Nanaak below -- What would he think about forums, social networks and e-groups? Oh well! He would smile. He is always smiling.

His bhagats havn't left even the internet alone...... they reach every place He provides them access to.................

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Dear all and Sikh80 Jee!

Quote "It is come in SGGS ji quite a couple of time. It cannot be a building."
The True Gurus are singing about the Door through that Guroo's Gur (knowledge) enters.
The true Guroo resolves that Gur as His Prasaad. Only then one finds Mokh Duaar, the door of Salvation.

gur prswdI buJIAY qw pwey moK duAwru ]
"gur parsaadee bujhee-ai taa paa-ay mokh du-aar." SGGS Ang 36-9

Quote from Surinder Jee "Can somenody tell a place WHERE GURU IS NOT PRESENT???????"
God is present everywhere. He appears as the true Guru rarely. Ignorant feel they can print Him and distribute Him or build Him with bricks.
I have come across some who are holding fast anger, hate and ego claiming that their Guru is everywhere. They do not want to sacrifice Him by any chance.

Quote from Aad0002 Jee "Doesn't it mean both things. Because there is the material world and the spiritual."
Gur Sabad and ego do not exist together.
Gurdev has mentioned the true Door of the Gur. Nowhere they have said that it is a building.

Balbir Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Veer Balbir says:

They do not want to sacrifice Him by any chance.

Who want to sacrifice their Guru, can they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is it possible????????

people sacrifice themselves for their Guru, for the sake of their Guru...... they also sacrifice themselves for those who are Guru's Bhagat/sevak.........

myry siqgurw hau quDu ivthu kurbwxu ]
myry siqgurw hau quDu ivthu kurbwxu ]

hau kurbwxI qyirAw syvkw ijn@ hir nwmu ipAwrw ]

'Sacrificing Others or Sacrificing Guru', or wanting to do so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DOES THIS NATURE REPRESENT SEVA?????
WHAT DOES IT REPRESENT?????

i think it represents BIG EGO

BECAUSE A SEVAK OF GURU/GOD sacrifice himself/herself NOT OTHERS OR HIS HER GURU...........

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Veer Balbir Ji says:

He appears as the true Guru rarely

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji DE Panna # 10 :

qUM jugu jugu eyko sdw sdw qUM eyko jI qUM inhclu krqw soeI ]

AKAAL MOORAT 'He appears as true Guru rarely' is a statement that contradicts itself...................

iQru nwrwiexu kry su hoie ]
iQru nwrwiexu kry su hoie ]

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM