• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is God?

Janpreet

SPNer
Apr 16, 2007
Waheguru Ji,

Please help me understand what Guru ji is describing in mool mantar(mangla-charan)

Characteristics of God given by Guru Nanak Sahib in mool mantar :

Ik Onkar : God is only one and is infinite

Satnaam : His/Her (genderless) existence is true

Karta Purakh : He is the creator of the universe and he resides in everything

Nirbhu : He has no fear

Nirvair : He has no hatred

Akal murat : His existence cannot be destroyed

Ajuni : He does not reincarnate or born in human form or in any species

Saibhan : He came into existence by himself.

Gur Parsad : He can only be realized by guru’s grace.

I am trying to wrap my head around what Guru Nanak Sahib is describing here. Is it some sort of super being? Or some sort of energy? Or is it simply ‘the nature’? What are your thoughts?

Bhul Chuk di Kheema

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Janpreet I feel that the old Chinese philosopher/sage, Lao Tzu, taught a lot of the same things as the Gurus. I feel that beliefs about God vary from Sikh-to-Sikh, and for this reason you will get a variety of answers; I feel like Lao Tzu's book Tao Te Ching talks about the Tao in ways that Sikhs could relate to as regards the Guru.

Tao Te Ching, Chapter 25
"1 There was something undefined and complete, coming into existence before Heaven and Earth. How still it was and formless, standing alone, and undergoing no change, reaching everywhere and in no danger (of being exhausted)! It may be regarded as the Mother of all things.
2 I do not know its name, and I give it the designation of the Tao (the Way or Course). Making an effort (further) to give it a name I call it The Great."

When I think of Guru I think of something that is not quite a being and not quite a force, it just is and does what it does, without needing to think about it or needing to feel emotion about it.
It is really a hard one to answer and though you will get some great insight from people on here I think it is something nobody can explain by words.

:singhsippingcoffee:

Ajuni

(previously sikhipyar)
SPNer
Aug 22, 2011
Alberta, Canada
From what the Sri Guru Granth Sahib and my own existence to understand the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has taught me it is that it is the ecstasy you feel within your very being in the very moments that one is truly able to breathe in beauty that surrounds them instead of stressing oneself with the reality of the world/your human situation.
What I've gathered is that it is love/the feeling of love. The vibrating and electrical sensation one feels within their body/vessel, the one which makes every hair stand on end.
A constant adrenaline rush, I haven't been able to harness this awareness/feeling for extended periods of time but I think with practice and contemplation of the true beauty/essence around me I can be one with this sensation.
But I have only tasted a tip of the iceberg, because I am unaware of how endless this ecstasy can be.
It removes hatred from my soul and allows me to engulf and send out unconditional love to people in my life who perhaps require more light in order to dispel their own darkness or who bring out the darkness in myself.
We are all nirguna but we are also all surguna.

These are my interpretations through my reality.
peacesignkaur

It is love that creates, it is love which removes hatred, it is love which overcomes obstacles. Passion is eternal love, one that does not "die."
It is to be able to recognize the connection between yourself and the whole and tune in to that connection in order to spread your light when one from the whole is near darkness.
I believe we are all on a journey to learn and understand our inner lights/spirits/souls and strengthen them for when the time comes to merge(death) the spirit goes where to light or darkness? (I'm just having these epiphanies as I'm typing) The more light within the spirit..then it goes to be with the light? The darker (through maya[attachment to reality and material things/gain..as if it is your only purpose..enough to be ruthless to fellow beings/illusion]-illusion created to purify the soul? the self? the WaheGuru...the highest form of self the self with all the potential waiting to be released??? again that was myself having an revelation of what maya/illusion relates to when Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji dicusses maya..?) the soul must stay to reincarnate..and see whether it gets wrapped in the web of maya/illusion? I think i might be going off on my own tangent because I have not read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji multiple times like some of my fellow Sikhis.

When I am one with waheguru I stumble upon instances and coincidences where my experiences have assisted fellow beings who have come into my life for a brief moment or for longer instances. The qualities of Waheguru are with me at that moment and guide me to assist my fellow journeyer..

I am using different words than Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji but I hope everyone understands what I mean when I type what I'm thinking. I am trying only to help spread the word and those who may understand the way I have understood it with the vocabulary I have been bestowed with by WaheGuru. The English language has so many words for what is generally the same meaning. I hope no one takes offense who thinks that I am trying to change the essence. I am merely putting it in my own words.

Just like the Gurus I feel as if I could talk about what waheguru is for hours on end.. It is so vast.
I feel I am at peace I feel I become more poetic and speak calmly with elegance, with grace.
Thank you WaheGuru.
:happykudi:

Your insights please on my interpretations of the the word.

Last edited:

Janpreet

SPNer
Apr 16, 2007
You may pl go thru all post of a previous thread as "Who is God in Sikhisim" there this is elaborated .

Prakash.S.Bagga

Veer ji I tried searching but could not find any relevant threads, maybe I am not looking at right place.

Can you please provide some direct links?

Thank you!

Janpreet

SPNer
Apr 16, 2007
Janpreet I feel that the old Chinese philosopher/sage, Lao Tzu, taught a lot of the same things as the Gurus. I feel that beliefs about God vary from Sikh-to-Sikh, and for this reason you will get a variety of answers; I feel like Lao Tzu's book Tao Te Ching talks about the Tao in ways that Sikhs could relate to as regards the Guru.

Tao Te Ching, Chapter 25
"1 There was something undefined and complete, coming into existence before Heaven and Earth. How still it was and formless, standing alone, and undergoing no change, reaching everywhere and in no danger (of being exhausted)! It may be regarded as the Mother of all things.
2 I do not know its name, and I give it the designation of the Tao (the Way or Course). Making an effort (further) to give it a name I call it The Great."

When I think of Guru I think of something that is not quite a being and not quite a force, it just is and does what it does, without needing to think about it or needing to feel emotion about it.
It is really a hard one to answer and though you will get some great insight from people on here I think it is something nobody can explain by words.

:singhsippingcoffee:

Veer ji, Gurbani is all about connecting with this 'GOD'. If "god' just is and does what it does, without needing to think about it or needing to feel emotion, then what is our point of doing prayer?

Is 'god' an intelligent force or energy like us humans?

Janpreet

SPNer
Apr 16, 2007
"What is God?"

Generator, Operator & Destroyer .....
More Details - "Jaap Sahib"

So in other words you are saying god is Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva?

Thank you Maneet ji but my question is what Guru ji describing in the mool -mantar(mangla-charan)

I feel it is very important to understand mool-mantar before you start understanding rest of Guru Granth Sahib ji.

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
I don't feel that I know enough to answer your question as regards Gurbani, but this question:
Is 'god' an intelligent force or energy like us humans?
Got me thinking. I'd say I would call God an energy, and intelligent; what I think is that simran, at least, is about giving time to listen out for God. Kinda like taking your earphones out and getting a sense of what is really going on around you; I don't think prayer or meditation is something done to please God but rather to let our waters settle so we can look out and see clearly without the ripples.

When we make time to get to know God, we are stepping into a position where we can see him - that is what I think. Sorry if my answers are vague or unhelpful, I find it hard to put into words what I'm thinking.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Brother,

In other words you mean to say tht "Ardas" that's been done everyday in Gurudwaras/Homes thru out the world has no benefit .... is this you wana say?

excellent, I can see you are getting the hang of this!

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying, all those people praying to pass their driving test, buy a new house, pass exams, get married, make more money, bless this new business, etc etc , yes brother, our Ardas, which should be a request to Creator for maybe grace, or strength, is abused completely with worldy wants and desires

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM