• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Is Dasam Duaar?

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Re: What is Dasam Duaar ?

The point made is that we should try to open the dasam Dwaar.

It is of no relevance at all.

The milk will boil when heated and water shall be frozen when brought below 0 degree Centigrade. What happens to water during the process [whether its tenth gate is opened or not] is of no consequence.

It is only theory discussed as a Kundalini Teacher.

Yes, if one has knowledge it is for the good of that individual only.it may be shared, But it should have the relevance to the context and the recipient should be willing only to receive if it is not anti Gurmat.The recipient will decide if it is so as he is the likely affected person.

And

One should be intelligent enough to make out if one is likely to be listened to or not.

I end my note here.

Regards to harjas ji.

Feb 14, 2006

AS she posts here I have to read the posts. My compulsions.
You made me laugh. :rofl:

There was no intention of saying things as "harsh'. But For that I seek thy forgiveness only. In future pl. do not consider as anything harsh.It is the language only. We all have one common factor that we are all seekers and the lovers of god in our own way.If you take the things in this spirit you will ignore many things,i am sure.
All is well. Please forgive me for annoying so much.

I can't force anyone's opinion to change and that's not my intent. But as this is a process of deepening understanding, I invite you to try to see things from a different perspective. Just try to take a look, because I wanted to show you something amazingly beautiful.

The point made is that we should try to open the dasam Dwaar.

It is of no relevance at all.
That is not correct. Gurbani says that it is through opening the dasam duar that one receives the Darshan of Vaheguru and experiences liberation from duality and the three worlds. All the practices of Sikhi are building up to this point, by helping to cleanse our inner mind and heart in order that this gate may be opened. That is the purpose of receiving a human body in this life. Everything else is a waste.

ਦੁਲਭ ਦੇਹ ਪਾਈ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ॥
dhulabh dhaeh paaee vaddabhaagee ||
This human body is so difficult to obtain; it is only obtained by great good fortune.

ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਜਪਹਿ ਤੇ ਆਤਮ ਘਾਤੀ ॥੧॥
naam n japehi thae aatham ghaathee ||1||
Those who do not meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, are murderers of the soul. ||1||

ਮਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਹੀ ਜਿਨਾ ਬਿਸਰਤ ਰਾਮ ॥
mar n jaahee jinaa bisarath raam ||
Those who forget the Lord might just as well die.

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਹੂਨ ਜੀਵਨ ਕਉਨ ਕਾਮ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
naam bihoon jeevan koun kaam ||1|| rehaao ||
Without the Naam, of what use are their lives? ||1||Pause||
~SGGS Ji p. 188

The milk will boil when heated and water shall be frozen when brought below 0 degree Centigrade. What happens to water is of no consequence.
This is completely correct. The process is not forced in Sikhism the way it was practiced in past ages with severe tapas, self-punishment, force, self-effort and physical practices, for example kechari mudra. The kechari mudra is describing something that occurs, because it is a seal. But the way traditional yogis practice is by force, to massage and elongate the tongue. Some people have resorted to cutting the binding of the tongue to make it longer. However, I do know people who were born with the ability. It comes to them unforced. That is their karam.

There's a saying if you're baking a cake and keep opening the oven door to see how it is cooking it will collapse and go flat. To bake a cake you have to leave it gupt, and then when it's ready it will be just right. So there is truth to the statement that everything will happen as it's supposed to in it's proper time. It can't be forced as Gurbani says the mind and heart are still unpurified and the breaths are wasted. So the purification comes first.

It is only theory discussed as a Kundalini Teacher.
I'm not a kundalini yoga teacher for 99th time. I don't practice kundalini yoga. And this is not anti-Gurmat, I'm trying to share something in Gurbani. I don't pretend to have all the insight or correct understanding. But I've giving you the best understanding I have. I need to make a button, "I am not a yoga teacher." And put neon sparkles.

ਆਖਹਿ ਮੰਗਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦਾਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ॥
aakhehi mangehi dhaehi dhaehi dhaath karae dhaathaar ||
People beg and pray, ""Give to us, give to us"", and the Great Giver gives His Gifts.

ਫੇਰਿ ਕਿ ਅਗੈ ਰਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਦਿਸੈ ਦਰਬਾਰੁ ॥
faer k agai rakheeai jith dhisai dharabaar ||
So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?

ਮੁਹੌ ਕਿ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਬੋਲੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਸੁਣਿ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
muha k bolan boleeai jith sun dhharae piaar ||
What words can we speak to evoke His Love?

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
anmrith vaelaa sach naao vaddiaaee veechaar ||
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

ਕਰਮੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਪੜਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥
karamee aavai kaparraa nadharee mokh dhuaar ||
By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.
~SGGS Ji p. 2

~Bhul chak maaf

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

Again a long post with references to bani, you are obstinate as a kid.Reminds me of my sis. only.

What is preferable:

1. To try to wait for opening of dasam Dwar with considered and considerate efforts.
or
2.To do Simran that we can do and let that happen that is to happen if it has to happen.

Is it necessary to learn
techniques of opening it?

But Good night Sis,
It is past mid night here,shall see your answer in the morning only. i.e tomorrow 11th may.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Harjas ji

I think you have addressed the one and only thing I was trying to find out. Thanks.

Quote Gurbani says that it is through opening the dasam duar that one receives the Darshan of Vaheguru and experiences liberation from duality and the three worlds. All the practices of Sikhi are building up to this point, by helping to cleanse our inner mind and heart in order that this gate may be opened. That is the purpose of receiving a human body in this life. Everything else is a waste. end quote

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Harjas ji

I think you have addressed the one and only thing I was trying to find out. Thanks.

Quote Gurbani says that it is through opening the dasam duar that one receives the Darshan of Vaheguru and experiences liberation from duality and the three worlds. All the practices of Sikhi are building up to this point, by helping to cleanse our inner mind and heart in order that this gate may be opened. That is the purpose of receiving a human body in this life. Everything else is a waste. end quote

aad0002 Ji

I cannot agree more than this with you on this. I also thank Bhain Harjas kaur ji for this, that is what Sikh is all about if any one wants to put it in a precise statement.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

singhbji ji

Anything that is posted in Gurmukhi font/Punjabi language, must be accompanied by the English. Official language of the forum is English.

I have completed a soft delete. You may repost this with a translation at any time.

Thank you.

karam

SPNer
Aug 11, 2010
For the benefit of other seekers I would say dasam dwar is no myth, pray to the guru for his blessings , only Guru can open dasam dwar

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I'm amazed at how much this topic seems to have been complicated and the concept interpreted according to Hindu mythology. The Guru's always wanted to bring us closer to Akaal Purakh without needing a middleman. By making the concept of dasam dwar mysterious and difficult to do, we are moving ourselves away which is not inline with Sikh philosophy.

As far as I can see it is very simple. All the references to dasam dwar relate to a position at the top of the head or to the connection with Akaal Purakh that results from opening it. All the other 9 gates are biological. There is one thing that obeys all these criteria- THE BRAIN!

In English we have the terms 'close-minded' and 'open-minded', and I think these are very apt here.

If a person is close minded they are completely influenced by Maya and the 5 chor. They are not open to the influence of Gurbani. Therefore their dasam dwar is closed.

If a person is open minded when listening/reading Gurbani and endeavours to understand, their dasam dwar is open as they are making the effort to connect with Akaal Purakh through the Shabadguru. The amrit trickling down the throat thay Harjas Kaur Ji talks about is a way of saying that the Gurbani is influencing the rest of the person, ie affecting their thoughts and actions. In some people the dwar is open a crack and in others it is wide open. How open the door is can also change throughout lifetime, bringing one closer to experiencing Waheguru or moving them further away.

The brain is an incredibly powerful tool. It not only controls bodily functions, but also controls our consciousness, our sense of right and wrong, our emotions, ideas, knowledge, memories and hence our actions. By opening the mind to the influences of Gurbani and making Akaal Purakh our pillar of strength, we are opening the dasam dwar with the help of Shabadguru on our way to become enlightened.

Jasleen Kaur

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dasam Duar in a metaphorical sense is the gate we enter within ourselves where we declothe our innerselves. By exposing our inner nakedness to ourselves, we reject the notion of any nip and tuck. Once this is done then there are no nooks or corners for us to hide in. No facades to pretend what we are not. This is the only way we can learn to become open minded through Realisation, Awareness,Understanding and Acceptance.

So, what's Dasam Duar?

It is the intangible place called mind from which all the tangibles sprout out.

The interesting thing to notice is that Guru Amardas talks about Dasam Duar in Pauri # 38 of the 40 Pauri Anand Sahib. In the first 37 Pauris he prepares us so that we can have a glimpse of our own Dasam Duar as individuals.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=922&g=1&h=0&r=1&t=1&p=0&k=0

Tejwant Singh

sunmukh

(Previously Himmat Singh)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2010
UK
Ek OnKaar Sat Naam

Countless layers of belief systems are built up on the bare mind, beginning from very early childhood once one becomes aware of one's self and is able to form judgements as to what is desirable and what is undesirable. Initially the mind only desires food/water. It is very rapidly able to distinguish its mother from others, as it provides this. It knows love very early on, as it experiences this constantly. As the self develops emotional judgements take root, like anger, jealousy, fear. Later on yet other forms take root as the child learns of the world, and these include greed and hatred. When it does not get what it wants, it resents the fact instead of simply accepting the reality. Sometimes it will guilty and even feel ashamed and there will be a degree of self-pity. It also builds up superstitions which it associates as to why it did not get what it wanted, and adds on rituals it feels will assist in achieving intentions. Towards the end of life there is fear, and a wish to stay on, but this cannot happen.

One who surrenders one's mind to reality, to truth, and accepts life as is, will be far more content. There will be a more carefree attitude. There is satisfaction with whatever has been allotted and/or acheived. Reduction of ego and the stubborn attitude that goes with it, can lead to acceptance of matters, even when matters are not running in one's favour. This IMHO is essentially opening of the dasam duar/tenth gate.

Being able and willing to change one's beliefs, however deeply entrenched the previous beliefs are, can bring great changes with respect to how satisfied one is with life. If one becomes attached to one's perceptions, there is little room for manouvre for the mind and when an obstacle appears, it cannot work around it. Irritation and frustration arises, sometimes followed by anger. If one can tell the mind to simply believe one is say happy with two chappatis, instead of five or six, or kheer, it can accept and be happy. It requires retraining of the fickle egotistical mind to accept whatever befalls the body.
Same applies to rituals of religions - Guru Nanak Dev ji and subsequent Gurus were all able to give up on Hinduism, and not turn to other religions either.
Many sikhs also continue to move on, but not necessarily after reaching the 10th gate. They are not attached to one faith, and being able to give up beliefs is a requirement in dealing with ego, if there is cause to change direction.

Sat Sri Akal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: