• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Your Name Mean?

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Many languages do not have a "w" ... Italian and French do not. But there is a "w" sound made by placing a "u" or even an "ou" at the beginning of a word, particularly in front of another vowel. We all know the French word "oui" pronounced as "wee" That seems to be how it works.

SPNadmin ji, I have long adored languages. I took French, German, Italian...and while I believe you are right in Italian not having a W (or an X for that matter), French does have that letter in their alphabet. It is not commonly used but it is known.

It is probably MOST used in English words that have been adopted. Web (WWW), talk-show, etc.

"Le watt" is as commonly used for that unit of electrical measurement as in English. ;-)

My French dictionary I have in my hands lists 20-30 W words, lots of which are from English. Some I am less sure about:

Wacapou. A type of guinean wood used in ebinistery.

wapiti: a large N. american deer with a whitish coat.

wedelin: small river boat made of 3 planks of wood.

I think of these, wapiti is the most French that I have heard.
:)

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
Hence, a Window becomes a Vindow and Victory becomes Wictory. I have no answer for this inversion.

Tejwant ji,

Have you ever noticed French people do this with aspirated H's vs. non aspirated H's? Almost all H's in French are silent.

Heure
Horloge
Harfang des neiges
Honneur
Horrible
Horticulture
Hochet
Hémophiliaque
Héliotrope

They write them but don't say them. However...when it comes to speaking ENGLISH they insert H's where there are none, and don't pronounce them where there are. Hence, ear becomes hear and hear becomes ear. ;-)

LOL...

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM