• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Your Name Mean?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I think that Sian is also Ceanna in italian, Sianna in irish.
Now, Sianna in punjabi means 'wise'.
Many names I find are usually linked in some way.
In punjabi the word 'nadhar' means God's grace and also the name Hardial or Hardayal means God's grace.
There probably is some more punjabi names that mean 'grace'.
I find that most names are shortened from older names from certain origins.
Sian is most likely linked to Shawna, Shannon or Sean(which is more Irish)
'Shaan' in punjabi means a 'cast shadow', peaceful, pride, respected and famous.

Thanks

Many of the old old names from the Celtic are indeed linked to names found in India. That is because the Celtic languages are almost archeological evidence of the migration of peoples from ancient India through the Bosporus and Europe to what is now the British Isles. Geographic isolation of centuries contributed to the preservation of their rather ancient origins and forms.

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/articles_hinduism/258.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4328733.stm

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/general/sanskrit.asp

This one is too long to post - but you are going to love it - e.g., "hekki" and "hiccup" (lol "hekki" is also the sound of a cat throwing a hair ball lol ) http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/sanskritwords2.asp

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/general/sanskrit_links.asp

Early northern Indic languages, Proto Indian European languges, sprouted into various branches, so that Celtic words and names can be matched with variants in Sanskrit and Hindi. Welsh or Cymraeg is perhaps the closest example. Unfortunately many of the references on this particular aspect of the similarity have been taken up by New Agers who have turned a scientific analysis of language into a hocus-pocus, woo-hoo, kind of topic in the past few years.

I would like to know more about Indic correlations if any with the names Leila and Sheila (English spellings, not Gaelic spellings).

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Luckysingh ji

This web site gets into the branching into different languages that you are interested in, and I think it has pages for quite a few different languages.

http://www.behindthename.com/

Here is a family tree for the name Noreen http://www.behindthename.com/name/nora/tree

Behind the name (this is the Celtic one)

http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/ancient-celtic

and pay dirt for me. This is the Indian one, meaning I can do cross-checks http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/indian

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
SPN family, my baptism name is Balwant Singh. I believe it relates to 'strength', but would appreciate if someone might know the proper meaning.
Much thanks.
Brother Onam ji I believe your understanding is correct. The following Gurbani verse may interest you,
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=278&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=1&fb=0&k=1

ਸਭ ਤੇ ਆਪ ਜਾਨੈ ਬਲਵੰਤੁ
सभ ते आप जानै बलवंतु ॥
Sabẖ ṯe āp jānai balvanṯ.
One who deems himself to be the strongest of all,
ਜੋ ਆਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਨੂੰ ਸਾਰਿਆਂ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਜ਼ੋਰਾਵਰ ਸਮਝਦਾ ਹੈ,
ਆਪ = ਆਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਨੂੰ। ਬਲਵੰਤੁ = ਬਲ ਵਾਲਾ, ਬਲੀ, ਤਾਕਤ ਵਾਲਾ।
ਮਨੁੱਖ ਆਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਨੂੰ ਸਭ ਨਾਲੋਂ ਬਲੀ ਸਮਝਦਾ ਹੈ,

ਖਿਨ ਮਹਿ ਹੋਇ ਜਾਇ ਭਸਮੰਤੁ
खिन महि होइ जाइ भसमंतु ॥
Kẖin mėh ho▫e jā▫e bẖasmanṯ.
in an instant, shall be reduced to ashes.
ਉਹ ਇਕ ਛਿਨ ਵਿੱਚ ਸੁਆਹ ਬਣ ਜਾਏਗਾ।
ਭਸਮੰਤੁ = ਸੁਆਹ।
(ਪਰ ਅੰਤ ਵੇਲੇ) ਇਕ ਖਿਣ ਵਿਚ (ਸੜ ਕੇ) ਸੁਆਹ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।

ਕਿਸੈ ਬਦੈ ਆਪਿ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀ
किसै न बदै आपि अहंकारी ॥
Kisai na baḏai āp ahaʼnkārī.
One who thinks of no one else except his own prideful self -
ਜੋ ਆਪਣੇ ਗਰੂਰ ਅੰਦਰ ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਕੁਛ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਿੱਦਦਾ,
ਬਦੈ = ਬਦਦਾ ਹੈ, ਪਰਵਾਹ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।
(ਜੋ ਬੰਦਾ) ਆਪ (ਇਤਨਾ) ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੀ ਭੀ ਪਰਵਾਹ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ,

ਧਰਮ ਰਾਇ ਤਿਸੁ ਕਰੇ ਖੁਆਰੀ
धरम राइ तिसु करे खुआरी ॥
Ḏẖaram rā▫e ṯis kare kẖu▫ārī.
the Righteous Judge of Dharma shall expose his disgrace.
ਧਰਮ ਰਾਜਾ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਖੱਜਲ-ਖੁਆਰ ਕਰੇਗਾ।
xxx
ਧਰਮਰਾਜ (ਅੰਤ ਵੇਲੇ) ਉਸ ਦੀ ਮਿੱਟੀ ਪਲੀਤ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।

ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਮਿਟੈ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੁ
गुर प्रसादि जा का मिटै अभिमानु ॥
Gur parsāḏ jā kā mitai abẖimān.
One who, by Guru's Grace, eliminates his ego,
ਜਿਸ ਪੁਰਸ਼ ਦੀ ਸਵੈ-ਹੰਗਤਾ ਗੁਰਾਂ ਦੀ ਦਇਆ ਦੁਆਰਾ ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਗਈ ਹੈ,
xxx
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਦਇਆ ਨਾਲ ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਮਿਟਦਾ ਹੈ,

ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਰਗਹ ਪਰਵਾਨੁ ੨॥
सो जनु नानक दरगह परवानु ॥२॥
So jan Nānak ḏargėh parvān. ||2||
O Nanak, becomes acceptable in the Court of the Lord. ||2||
ਉਹ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਦਰਬਾਰ ਅੰਦਰ ਕਬੂਲ ਪੈ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ, ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ!
xxx੨॥
ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ, ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਦਰਗਾਹ ਵਿਚ ਕਬੂਲ ਹੁੰਦਾ ਹੈ ॥੨॥
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->It stands for "one possessing strength". Even though in the pronunciation above it is written as "Balvant", I have mostly seen your name spelled with a "w" as in Balwant.

Sat Sri Akal the strong one :mundahug:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

It stands for "one possessing strength". Even though in the pronunciation above it is written as "Balvant", I have mostly seen your name spelled with a "w" as in Balwant.

The problem in Indian languages is the inversion of W to V and wice versa.:)

W should be V actually. Waheguru is Vaheguru.

The same goes for my name.

Brother Onam ji, my granddad's name was also Balwant Singh.

Regards

TejVant Singh.

Kamala

Banned
May 26, 2011
Canada.
Lotus
AaCchak.png

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

The problem in Indian languages is the inversion of W to V and wice versa.:)

W should be V actually. Waheguru is Vaheguru.

The same goes for my name.

Brother Onam ji, my granddad's name was also Balwant Singh.

Regards

TejVant Singh.
Tejwant Singh ji thanks for your post. If the following provides any further understanding or dialog,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> ਵਿਆਹ -- Via-ah -- Marriage

ਵੀਰ -- Veer -- Brother

ਵਤਨ -- Watan -- Country

ਵੰਡ -- Wund -- division

It appears to me that ਵਿ and ਵੀ deserve a V. No accent and ਵੰ require W. The ਵਾ is both V and W based on specific word construct.

These just hunch/observations and no scholarly investigation.

Sat Sri Akal.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Tejwant Singh ji thanks for your post. If the following provides any further understanding or dialog,

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> ਵਿਆਹ -- Via-ah -- Marriage

ਵੀਰ -- Veer -- Brother

ਵਤਨ -- Watan -- Country

ਵੰਡ -- Wund -- division

It appears to me that ਵਿ and ਵੀ deserve a V. No accent and ਵੰ require W. The ਵਾ is both V and W based on specific word construct.

These just hunch/observations and no scholarly investigation.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria ji,

Guru Fateh.

Thanks for your post. The fact is that there is no W in Punjabi or any other Indian languages no matter how they are phonetically written in English.

That is w(v)hy, ਵ is V in Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Sanskrit, Gurmukhi and other Indic languages.

But for some reason when people speak English, they change W into V.

Hence, a Window becomes a Vindow and Victory becomes Wictory. I have no answer for this inversion. May be some other member may enlighten us.

The Germans also tend to do the same.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Many languages do not have a "w" ... Italian and French do not. But there is a "w" sound made by placing a "u" or even an "ou" at the beginning of a word, particularly in front of another vowel. We all know the French word "oui" pronounced as "wee" That seems to be how it works.

uovo is egg in Italian = wovo
We all know the French word for Yes, "oui" = "we"

Italians do also have the habit of changing the "w" in English to a "v" as in "veendo" :winkingkaur: "window" Why is a mystery.

Now to make things even more confusing there is a true "w" in Welsh. It is pronounced like sounding like "oo" in "book" or when preceded by "y" at the end of a word, for yw, it sounds like the "o" in "moan"

I am really sorry I even started this post and therefore will stop. How many languages actually do have a "w" ????

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Yes it is OK to post Take a look from the start of the thread and you will find links to web sites about Irish names, and discussions of that too. :)

Sep 19, 2013
Nottingham
My real life name doesn't really mean anything: Oliver. Nobody knows. Either it is talking about an olive tree, or it's a corrupted version of Olaf. And my surname, Smith which of course means a blacksmith also doesn't really describe my character.

My forum name though is quite clever, don't you think? Anglo-Sikh because I am an English Sikh, and 'Peace' because it's a play on 'Anglo-Sikh Wars', ie the invasion of the Punjab. Once Sikhs and British were enemies, and now Britain is possibly the best country in the world for Sikhi.

namritanevaeh

Writer
SPNer
Oct 14, 2012
Surrey, Canada
My forum name though is quite clever, don't you think? Anglo-Sikh because I am an English Sikh, and 'Peace' because it's a play on 'Anglo-Sikh Wars', ie the invasion of the Punjab. Once Sikhs and British were enemies, and now Britain is possibly the best country in the world for Sikhi.

AngloSikhPeace ji that is cool. :)

I have a couple of different online personas depending on where I am posting. I have only shared my real name with 1 other person on this board, and I have a very good reason for that. In private I don't mind doing so but I don't want my real name on this very public forum.

I will say however, it means "Sohni" and that is why I chose SohniKaur as my tumblr blog pseudonym. :)

My name here is two of the 3 names I gave a child I lost :'( (I called her Namrita Paloma Nevaeh...Namrita to honour her Sikh background, and the other 2 just because I liked them and they seemed to fit...Paloma means Peace and Nevaeh is Heaven spelled backwards). I will honestly say; if that child had survived she would NOT have been called any of those names likely but since she did not...they fit.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM