• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

What Does Your Name Mean?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Does anyone know what Harwinder Means i have tried looking it up but didnt get much help
Harwinder ji I am not much expert but perhaps this might trigger some thoughts,

• Harwinder --->
    • Har ---> Creator
    • wi ---> of, associated with
    • inder ---> the five senses (sight, sound, hearing, taste and touch), also colloquially used for lord of rain
  • Translate: One who is blessed with the five senses as if in the creator

• Example: One who sees well; speaks well; a good listener; has great taste; and a healing or good touch
Hope it is some food for thought.

Great name.

Sta Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Harwinder ji

Not that complicated imho.

Har means God, Lord of the Universe is often implied in that

Vinder, or Winder, means God, Glorious Creator is implied in that.

Harvinder implies more than the name says at face value. God, Glorious, Creator can be rearranged anyway you want. So .....Harvinder = God, the Glorious Creator of the Universe.

vinder and winder mean the same thing because v and w are interchangeable.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Satbinder = Sat or Truth/the eternally true + binder/vinder or God/Lord of the Universe

Rough English equivalent .............. God is Truth! God is the eternal truth!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Here is a site that gives meanings of Welsh Names. http://www.name-meanings.com/name-meanings/a.php

The Welsh language. Cymraeg, is a form of Gaelic and it is the oldest living language spoken in Europe, with startling connections to old Indic languages and with Sanskrit. Pronunciation rules are the same as for Punjabi btw. It would be interesting to find some names that are found both amongst Welsh speakers and in India...to see if the meanings are similar.

Information about Cymraeg http://www.name-meanings.com/gaelic_name_meanings.php

I am adding the link to Gaelic names to continue the detective work. http://www.name-meanings.com/gaelic_name_meanings.php

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Here is a site that gives meanings of Welsh Names. http://www.name-meanings.com/name-meanings/a.php

The Welsh language. Cymraeg, is a form of Gaelic and it is the oldest living language spoken in Europe, with startling connections to old Indic languages and with Sanskrit. Pronunciation rules are the same as for Punjabi btw. It would be interesting to find some names that are found both amongst Welsh speakers and in India...to see if the meanings are similar.

Information about Cymraeg http://www.name-meanings.com/gaelic_name_meanings.php

I am adding the link to Gaelic names to continue the detective work. http://www.name-meanings.com/gaelic_name_meanings.php

All the gaelic languages have their variations {Irish/welsh/scots/bretons/etc} but all from a common ancestory but we somehow overcome and Make ourselves understood This reminds this Irishman that he must remember to get of his butt and inprove his ropey
irish gaelic

:happysingh:

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
WJKKWJKF
After i woke up and abandoned the dire irish version of the roman catholic religion that i was inflicted with at to thankfully find Sikhi {or have GURUji open my mind and heart to Sikhi} I had the name Joginder because Joginder from what i have found out means "One who establishes union with God" because allthough religion had gone away God had not

:happysingh:

sukritkaur

SPNer
Dec 19, 2011
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Wow, powerful stuff Joginder Singh. My name is Sukrit. My parents told me it means thanks you god, not really 100 percent on that one. I think it might have to do something with kirat (true/hard work). But both meanings could be way off. I know where my name shows up in the SGGS JI but i don't know how to translate those lines. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Gurfateh,
Sukrit Kaur

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Wow, powerful stuff Joginder Singh. My name is Sukrit. My parents told me it means thanks you god, not really 100 percent on that one. I think it might have to do something with kirat (true/hard work). But both meanings could be way off. I know where my name shows up in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji but i don't know how to translate those lines. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Gurfateh,
Sukrit Kaur
sukritkaur bhain ji let us know the SGGS location and I will try to help.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
It wouldn't allow me to copy and paste this do I'll provide you with the link that cites everywhere Sukrit shows up in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Here it is http://www.sukrit.org/sukrit_guru_granth_sahib.php
Sukritkaur bhain ji this is what I find,

ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤੁ

Note: You can also double click the above to the following meaning,
[SIZE=-1]Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-Gurmukhi Dictionary[/SIZE] [SIZE=-0] ਨੇਕ ਕਮਾਈ (moral work), ਭਲਾ ਕਰਮ (doer of helpful deeds), ਭਲਾ ਕੰਮ (helpful deed), ਸ੍ਰੇਸ਼ਟ ਕਰਮ ([/SIZE][SIZE=-0]Superb, eminent, excellent.[/SIZE][SIZE=-0]; deed), ਨੇਕ ਕਰਮ (respectful deeds), ਕੀਤਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਭਲਾ ਕੰਮ (helpful done deeds), ਨੇਕ ਆਚਰਨ (good moral character)। ਸ਼ੁਕਰਵਾਰ ਨੂੰ। ਉਦਾਹਰਣ: ਓਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਮੰਦੈ ਪੈਰੁ ਨ ਰਖਿਓ ਕਰਿ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਮਾਇਆ॥ {ਆਸਾ ੧, ਵਾਰ ੭:੨ (467)}। ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਹਾਰੈ ਸੁ ਇਹ ਬ੍ਰਤਿ ਚੜੈ॥ {ਗਉ ਕਬ, ਵਾ ੬:੧ (344)}। ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਕੀਤਾ ਰਹਸੀ ਮੇਰੇ ਜੀਅ [/SIZE]
Wow, what a wonderful uplifting name. You add Kaur (Lioness) to that it makes wonderful combination of strength and power linked to first name.

Hope it helps.

Sat Sri Akal

Last edited by a moderator:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I wonder... could "Sukrit" be a combination of "Suchi" (pure) and "Kirat"?
BhagatSingh veer ji all work is "Suchi (pure)".

The [SIZE=-0]ਨੇਕ ਕਮਾਈ (moral work) is pure work with honesty, fairness and moral. Either way it is all very very nice name.

Reminds me of a Gurdas Mann song that goes,

Gurdas Maan - BOOT POLISHAN - YouTube

Sat Sri Akal.
[/SIZE]

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
What means "Tajbir"
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ਤਾਜ (TAJ)

<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="mso-cellspacing:1.5pt" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-Gurmukhi Dictionary
</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-yfti-irow:1;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> (ਅੰ. ਤਾਜਾ) ਮੁਕਟ, ਬਾਦਸ਼ਾਹਿਤ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਤੀਕ(HEAD GEAR PERSONIFYING A KING or ROYAL) ਸਿਰ ਦਾ ਭੂਸ਼ਨ। ਉਦਾਹਰਣ: ਤਾਜ ਕੁਲਹ ਸਿਰਿ ਛਤ੍ਰ ਬਨਾਵਉ॥ {ਗਉ ੧, ਅਸ ੧੦, ੬:੨ (225)}
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="mso-cellspacing:1.5pt" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-English Dictionary
</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-yfti-irow:1;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> P. n. Crown
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.
<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="mso-cellspacing:1.5pt" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> English Translation
</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-yfti-irow:1;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> Crown, comb, on the head of a bird.
<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="mso-cellspacing:1.5pt" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia
</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-yfti-irow:1;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਣ. "ਤਾਜ ਕੁਲਹ ਸਿਰਿ ਛਤ੍ਰ ਬਨਾਵਉ". (ਗਉ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੧)। (2) ਦੇਖੋ, ਸ਼ਾਹਜਹਾਂ.2ਅ਼.੧ {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਮੁਕੁਟ. ਬਾਦਸ਼ਾਹ ਦੇ ਸਿਰ ਦਾ ਭੂਸ

ਬੀਰ (BIR)

<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="mso-cellspacing:1.5pt" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-Gurmukhi Dictionary
</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-yfti-irow:1;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> (1) ਹੇ ਵੀਰ, ਹੇ ਭਰਾ! ਹੇ ਭਾਈ!।(BROTHER)(2) ਬਹਾਦਰ। (3) ਭਰਾ, ਵੀਰ। ਉਦਾਹਰਣ: ਜਿਨ ਜਾਨਿਆਸੇਦੀ ਤਰੇ ਸੇ ਸੂਰੇ ਸੇ ਬੀਰ॥ {ਰਾਮ ੫, ਰੁਤੀ ੮, ੨ਸ:੧ (929)}। ਟੇਢੀ ਪਾਗ ਟੇਖੇ ਚਲੇਲਾਗੇ ਬੀਰੇ ਖਾਨ॥ {ਕੇਦਾ ਕਬ, , ੧:੧ (1124)}। ਭੁਜਬਲ ਬੀਰ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਗਰਤਪਰਤ ਗਹਿ ਲੇਹੁ ਅੰਗੁਰੀਆਂ॥ {ਗਉ ੫, ੧੧੫*, ੧*:੧
<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="mso-cellspacing:1.5pt" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-English Dictionary
</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-yfti-irow:1;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> n. (from Sk. Vīra) brother
Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.
<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="mso-cellspacing:1.5pt" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> English Translation
</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-yfti-irow:1;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> n.m. & ajd. same as ਵੀਰ brave; brother.
<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="mso-cellspacing:1.5pt" border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody><tr style="mso-yfti-irow:0;mso-yfti-firstrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia
</td> </tr> <tr style="mso-yfti-irow:1;mso-yfti-lastrow:yes"> <td style="padding:.75pt .75pt .75pt .75pt"> ਨੁ। (5) ਯਗ੍ਯ2ਸੰ. ਵੀਰ. {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਕਮਲ ਦੀ ਜੜ। (2) ਖਸ. ਉਸ਼ੀਰ। (3) ਨਟ। (4) ਵਿਸਦੀ ਅਗਨਿ। (6) ਪਤਿ- ਭਰਤਾ। (7) ਪੁਤ੍ਰ। (8) ਮਿਤ੍ਰ. "ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਕੀ ਕੋਈ ਬਾਤਸੁਨਾਵੈ, ਸੋ ਭਾਈ ਸੋ ਮੇਰਾ ਬੀਰ". (ਗੌਂਡ ਮਃ ੪)। (9) ਭਾਈ. "ਮੋਹ ਅਰੁ ਭਰਮ ਤਜਹੁ ਤੁਮਬੀਰ". (ਆਸਾ ਮਃ ੧) ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਮੋਹ ਅਤੇ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਤ੍ਯਾਗੋ। (10) ਵੈਦ੍ਯ. ਤਬੀਬ. "ਰੋਗਹੁਤੋ ਕਿਉ ਬਾਧਉ ਧੀਰਾ ××× ਢੂਢਤ ਖੋਜਤ ਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੇ ਬੀਰਾ". (ਬਸੰ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੧)। (11) ਬਹਾਦੁਰ. ਯੋਧਾ. "ਬੀਰ ਅਪਾਰ ਬਡੇ ਬਰਿਆਰ". (ਅਕਾਲ)(STRONG WARRIOR)। (12) ਕੁਲੀਨ. ਕੁਲਾਚਾਰ ਵਾਲਾਪੁਰਖ. "ਸਤੀ ਪੁਕਾਰੈ ਚਿਹ ਚੜੀ, ਸੁਨੁਹੋ ਬੀਰ ਮਸਾਨ". (ਸ. ਕਬੀਰ) ਹੇ ਸ਼ਮਸ਼ਾਨ ਵਿੱਚ ਆਏਕੁਲੀਨ ਲੋਕੋ! ਸੁਣੋ। (13) ਇੱਕ ਛੰਦ. ਲੱਛਣ- ਚਾਰ ਚਰਣ, ਪ੍ਰਤਿ ਚਰਣ ੩੧ ਮਾਤ੍ਰਾ, ਦੋਵਿਸ਼੍ਰਾਮ ਅੱਠ ਅੱਠ ਪੁਰ, ਤੀਜਾ ੧੫. ਮਾਤ੍ਰਾ ਪੁਰ, ਅੰਤ ਗੁਰੁ ਲਘੁ. ਉਦਾਹਰਣ- ਸ਼ੀ ਅਕਾਲਕੋ, ਸਿਮਰਨ ਕਰਕੈ, ਸਭ ਕਾਰਜ ਕੀਜੈ ਆਰੰਭ, ਮਨ ਅਰ ਮੁਖ ਮੇ, ਏਕ ਬਾਤ ਹਨਐ, ਭੂਲ ਨ ਕਬਹੁਕੀਜਿਯੇ ਦੰਭ. ××× ਦੇਖੋ, ਪਉੜੀ ਦਾ ਰੂਪ ੨੮ ਅਤੇ ਸਵੈਯੇ ਦਾ ਰੂਪ ੧। (14) ਕਾਵ੍ਯ ਦੇਨੌ ਰਸਾਂ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਇੱਕ ਰਸ. ਦੇਖੋ, ਰਸ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦਾ ਅੰਗ ੯. ਅਤੇ ਵੀਰ ੭। (15) ਦੇਖੋ, ਬਵੰਜਾ ਵੀਰ.
Mahan Kosh data provided by Bhai Baljinder Singh (RaraSahib Wale); See http://www.ik13.com

Couple of possibilities but perhaps quite a few others,

· Princely Brother
·
Princely Warrior
. Royal one

Very interesting powerful name.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM