• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Were The 5 Pyaare Volunteers? Or Were They Selected By Guru Gobind Singh?

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
I think for an encore he asked the entire congregated sangat to return to the entrance and check in their brains before entering.

You know, the single thing that has always attracted me to Sikhi above all other religions is that it made no demands that I believe really ridiculous things that I know cannot possibly be true. This thread is beginning to make me wonder if maybe I have been mistaken all these years.

Inderjeet Kaur Ji,
Indians have always had a taste for the dramatic. Everything should be so exaggerated and dietified that mostly it loses its real meaning. That is precisely the reason there aren't any historians to be found even till the British Raj, there are just hagiographers.
When Valmiki authors the Valmiki Ramayan, Rama is just a hero with human fallacies, but that was not be. Tulasidas authors the Ramcharitmanas and lo, Rama is a God.
When Gyani Santokh Singh Ji sits down to describe the birth of Guru Nanak Sahib, he feels compelled to show the 33 Crore Hindu Gods and Saints venerating the Guru, as if he had himself seen them showering flowers from the heavens.
Sadly, same is the case here. Guru Gobind Singh Sahib administering the Amrit to the Panj Piaras and giving them a new spiritual life would be so tasteless; the fables of cutting the heads and gluing them again, Guru Sahib standing on the platform holding a sword smeared with human blood, and what not, had to be compulsively added.
The chaff is perhaps so mixed up with the grains it is hard to sort them out. This is precisely the reason why life stories of even the Gurus were not included in the Canon of Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj, it is the theology we venerate, not the Sakhis. One can change, redefine, contaminate a story; not so with an idea. The wisdom of Guru Granth Sahib is far beyond these fables and hagiographies.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Inderjeet Kaur Ji,
Indians have always had a taste for the dramatic. Everything should be so exaggerated and dietified that mostly it loses its real meaning. That is precisely the reason there aren't any historians to be found even till the British Raj, there are just hagiographers.
When Valmiki authors the Valmiki Ramayan, Rama is just a hero with human fallacies, but that was not be. Tulasidas authors the Ramcharitmanas and lo, Rama is a God.
When Gyani Santokh Singh Ji sits down to describe the birth of Guru Nanak Sahib, he feels compelled to show the 33 Crore Hindu Gods and Saints venerating the Guru, as if he had himself seen them showering flowers from the heavens.
Sadly, same is the case here. Guru Gobind Singh Sahib administering the Amrit to the Panj Piaras and giving them a new spiritual life would be so tasteless; the fables of cutting the heads and gluing them again, Guru Sahib standing on the platform holding a sword smeared with human blood, and what not, had to be compulsively added.
The chaff is perhaps so mixed up with the grains it is hard to sort them out. This is precisely the reason why life stories of even the Gurus were not included in the Canon of Guru Granth Sahib Maharaj, it is the theology we venerate, not the Sakhis. One can change, redefine, contaminate a story; not so with an idea. The wisdom of Guru Granth Sahib is far beyond these fables and hagiographies.

aristotle ji,

I, too, enjoy dramatic fiction, when it is presented as fiction.

My response was really to the disrespect I saw being heaped upon the incredibly beautiful thing that Guru Gobind Singh ji did in the creation of the Khalsa. No dramatic effect could possibly add to the wonder of what was actually done.

I was really quite annoyed when I wrote that and using great restraint not to write something that I knew dear spnadmin ji would have to come in and delete. I hope and believe that our moment of silliness has passed and we can get back to a meaningful discussion.

:icecreamkaur:

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
There is simply too much CHAFF compared to the grains...and then we have too many people who just LOVE the CHAFF...that they think it is the GRAINS..becasue the garians are too difficult to find..like looking for the needle in a haystack...why look for the needle when theres so much HAY...a real tragedy...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM