• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Wedding Between Sikh And Christian

sem nome

SPNer
Oct 9, 2008
Hello everybody, My name is Jurema, I am from Buenos Aires and I am Christian.I have a good education and good family who are Christian. I love a man from Kapurthala who is Sikh, and we want to get marry. His family don't know about us relation yet. I am afraid, because I am not sure if his family will allow us relation, because I am foreigner and Christian. does is possible a family allow an wedding between sikh and Christian? And, I want to be sikh with him. He is Ramgariah sikh .
God Bless your.

KuldipSingh

SPNer
Oct 2, 2004
San Jose, California, USA
Hello Jurema,

If you love each other then all obstacles can be overcome. I suggest that if the sikh man cannot sum up the courage to talk to his parent. Then he should ask a close family friend/relative to talk to them first and explain to them your mutual love for each other and your education and desire to become a sikh...and both of you must also talk to them.

good luck,

~Kuldip Singh

sem nome

SPNer
Oct 9, 2008
Thank you very much for your advice. I'll talk with him about this, and I am sure God will help us, bcz we love each other a lot, and just want to be happy together.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Dear sem nome

religious Punjabi sikhs don't easily accept spouses of their children from other religions
Now your Bf need lot of courage ,may be he needs to rebel against his family to marry you
Parents put lot of pressure on children to go for arrange marriage in punjabi culture

sem nome

SPNer
Oct 9, 2008
You are absolutely right. This is my big fear. I love him so much!We need to have courage. My family is also traditional and considers all who aren't Christian as pagans. Their dream is that I get married a Christian of my city and known by all of the family.But, I don't want, because I love only him.

Apr 13, 2006
WGJKK WGJKF
I CAN UNDERSTAND THE DELIMA OF SEM AND HER SIKH FREIND. BEST PART IS THAT THEY ARE IN LUV BUT THEY STILL ARE THINKING OF THEIR PARENTS AND FAMILIES. I KNOW THE FAMILIES WULD BE RIGID IN THEIR BELIEFS WHICH HAVE BEEN PART OF HTHEIR LIFE SINCE BIRTH. IT IS SEM AND DEAR VEERJI WHO R IN LUV AS THEY HV COME CLOSE TO EACH OTHER BUT THIER FAMILIES HV NOT MET EACHOTHER. THY KNOW NOTHING , THEY ARE LIVING IN THIER OWN WORLDS. I THINK SEM AND VEER SHELL TRY TO SPEAK TO THIER FAMILIES IN GOOD FAITH AND SHELL TRY TO TELL THEM ABOUT EACH OTHER AND EWACHOTHER'S RELATIONS, FAMILIES AND BELIEF IN LIFE.  I M SURE THEY WULD LOTS OF THINGS COMMON WHICH CAN ACT AS BINDING FORCE.IF SEM AND VEER ARE IN TRUE LUV THEY WULD HV NO DIFICULTIES. THEY HV TO LISTEN TO THEMSELVE FIRST AND THEN ACT.

SECONDLY I DONT CRITICISE THE CHRISTIANTY BUT WULD LUV TO HV NEW MEMBERS IN THE NEW FAITH OF THE WORLD i.e. Sikhism

BE GURJEE WITH U BOTH IN UR HEART AND LIFE.

GURUFATEH
AKAL SAHAY
SATINDER SINGH

Admin Note: Dear members, a humble request, please avoid using all CAPS letters while posting your messages. Your little effort towards this objective will help us keep the network clean and presentable to a worldwide audeince. Thank you.

sem nome

SPNer
Oct 9, 2008
Thank you very much for your advise.
I see that your are God people ,no one here is judging me bad or saying that we are wrong in love each other. I am very thankfull. I don't know exactly why I love him so much..
mysterious are God ways..only He know...but the truth is : I love him and I wanna be happy and blessed by God with him.

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
No matter how much you love him, please do not become a Sikh just because he is a Sikh. My family are very devout Christians, and they too believe anyone who is not a Christian are doomed to hell, but I felt that Sikhism was the truest way to God. I have faced alot of criticism from my family for becoming a Sikh, but I do not regret my decision, because it was made for the right reasons. So please be careful of your reasons for becoming a Sikh.

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, Everyone
I have been fortunate to see several marriages between Sikhs and Christians work out well. I think that if you all talk to your families to let them know you both have their feelings in your thoughts, that alone will help them with any difficulties they may have. Your beau's parents may suggest that you become a Sikh before you marry their son. If this is agreeable, then do so, there will be a happy time! However, bear in mind, that should you do this, your family may get upset. Then again, they may not- sometimes our family members can surprise us! Both you and your beau(old-fashioned word meaning "serious boyfriend", maybe even like "fiance"-engaged to be married)- should engage in lots of prayer about this matter. If you really do love each other that you are willing to take the very serious step of commitment in marriage, then do not let religious differences stand in your way. After all, what the Gurus have said and what Jesus said actually are more similar than they are different!
Blessings to you all,
Wahe Guru
Kulwant

Nov 1, 2009
hello Jurema.. my suggestion is to not rock the boat.. consider what you both have a blessing and have faith that the Lord will work things out for the best.. sometimes our thoughts can become scattered and we can get flusterred and try and rush something wonderful.. please let this thing blossom into whatever will be.. just feed it love and be patient.. don't turn from your faith as a christian.. that would be the first sign that it might not work out.. you need to remain who you are.. i am more than certain that it is all going to be so much more wonderful than you can imagine.. i am speaking of what, God has planned for your life, Jurema.... :)

Nov 9, 2009
You and your boyfriend has to tell his parents about your relationship and that you want to get married. After that, if he loves you that much, he will do his best to fight for it. :)

Jul 1, 2010
My name is Naomi and I am a Christian woman living in the U.S. engaged to a Sikh Indian man. We had our struggles about this issue, but we both overcame them together. However, he hasn't told his family about our relationship yet, but many of my family members have met him and like him. At first, they were a bit skeptical, but he's grown on them with time. I'm just curious to know if Jurema married her fiance and how things turned out?

~Naomi

God is one

SPNer
Nov 21, 2017
I also facing this problem i am sikh and i love a christian girl who is from india.
Same family problem.. But families don't know about us.
Dear sem nome. JUREMA
I love her very much.
And ill be die for her.
Suicide.
God will help you.
I can't explain the feeling. How much I love her.
If anyone wants to reply me.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Dear sem nome

religious Punjabi sikhs don't easily accept spouses of their children from other religions
Now your Bf need lot of courage ,may be he needs to rebel against his family to marry you
Parents put lot of pressure on children to go for arrange marriage in punjabi culture

But it CAN be worked so that the couple self arrange while still involving the family. Especially if she already shows she is practicing Sikhi.
After all, I have a Christian background, became Sikh on my own then found and married a Punjabi Singh from Kashmir and his family fully accept me. In fact I have a deep bond with his sister and his nieces in particular and his Mom (although being the only one I can’t directly speak with) totally trusts me and every time I am there she hugs me treats me as her own in fact she calls me daughter not daughter in law. So it’s entirely possible. Mind you I was already tying turban and wanted to take Amrit prior to meeting him and his family are all Aneitdhari so they really respected that.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Anybody pls tell me what can i do.
:'(

First of all you must have transparency with families on both sides if you want this to work.

Second if she is adopting Sikhi, then have her attend Gurdwara etc before you introduce her to your family as that will give better impression in their eyes. As for her family find a way to explain Sikhi as a spiritual path more than a religion. It’s about truth and seeing and serving God in everyone. Christians also believe the image of God is in all people so look for the similarities and emphasize those instead of differences. The big difference is they believe that God took birth as Jesus and we obviously believe God dies not take birth but try to focus as I said on the similarities and not the differences. My family are Christian and have no problem with my decision as long as I am a good person, happy and still believe in God and strive to attain my spiritual path.

I cant promise that the above will work. But I can guarantee that if you both continue to keep it a secret it will never work!

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
You are absolutely right. This is my big fear. I love him so much!We need to have courage. My family is also traditional and considers all who aren't Christian as pagans. Their dream is that I get married a Christian of my city and known by all of the family.But, I don't want, because I love only him.

Then you're strong. Hope your boyfriend is as strong as you if his parents don't agree to him marrying you.

If he loves you, tell him it shouldn't matter what his family think. It's your lives and future together, not theirs. Seize your life.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM