• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Islam Was Guru Nanak A Muslim?

Hashir

SPNer
Feb 15, 2012
Oh, I see! Gyani ji, May I ask you, will you not be worried to just wear a piece of cloth that states Baba Nanak ji as a negative being or something that offends the teaching of Baba Nanak ji?! I think you will so you cannot say that you will not be 'hung up' on the writings of Clothing!
ओह, मैं देख रहा हूँ! ज्ञानी जी, मैं आप से पूछना, आप सिर्फ कपड़े का एक टुकड़ा है कि एक नकारात्मक जा रहा है या कुछ है कि बाबा नानक जी की शिक्षण नाराज के रूप में बाबा नानक जी राज्यों पहनने चिंतित नहीं किया जाएगा! मुझे लगता है कि आप तो आप कह सकते हैं कि आप नहीं होगा वस्त्र के लेखन पर 'लटका' नहीं!

ਓਹ, ਇ ਸੀ! ਗਯਾਨੀ ਜੀ, ਮਈ ਇ ਏਸਕ ਯੋਊ, ਵਿਲ ਯੋਊ ਨੋਟ ਬੇ ਵੋਰ੍ਰਿਇਡ ਤੋ ਜੁਸਤ ਵੇਅਰ ਆ ਪੀਏਸ ਓਫ ਕ੍ਲੋਥ ਥਾਟ ਸ੍ਤਾਤੇਸ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਆਸ ਆ ਨੇਗਾਤੀਵੇ ਬੇੰਗ ਓਰ ਸੋਮੇਥਿੰਗ ਥਾਟ ਓਫ੍ਫੇਨ੍ਡ੍ਸ ਥੇ ਤੇਆਚਿੰਗ੍ਸ ਓਫ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ?! ਇ ਕ੍ਨੋਵ ਯੋਊ ਵਿਲ, ਸੋ ਯੋਊ ਕੈਨ੍ਨੋਤ ਸੀ ਥਾਟ ਯੋਊ ਵਿਲ ਨੋਟ ਬੇ 'ਹੁੰਗ ਉਪ' ਓਨ ਥੇ ਵ੍ਰਿਤਿੰਗ੍ਸ ਓਫ ਕ੍ਲੋਹਿੰਗ੍ਸ!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Oh, I see! Gyani ji, May I ask you, will you not be worried to just wear a piece of cloth that states Baba Nanak ji as a negative being or something that offends the teaching of Baba Nanak ji?! I think you will so you cannot say that you will not be 'hung up' on the writings of Clothing!
ओह, मैं देख रहा हूँ! ज्ञानी जी, मैं आप से पूछना, आप सिर्फ कपड़े का एक टुकड़ा है कि एक नकारात्मक जा रहा है या कुछ है कि बाबा नानक जी की शिक्षण नाराज के रूप में बाबा नानक जी राज्यों पहनने चिंतित नहीं किया जाएगा! मुझे लगता है कि आप तो आप कह सकते हैं कि आप नहीं होगा वस्त्र के लेखन पर 'लटका' नहीं!

ਓਹ, ਇ ਸੀ! ਗਯਾਨੀ ਜੀ, ਮਈ ਇ ਏਸਕ ਯੋਊ, ਵਿਲ ਯੋਊ ਨੋਟ ਬੇ ਵੋਰ੍ਰਿਇਡ ਤੋ ਜੁਸਤ ਵੇਅਰ ਆ ਪੀਏਸ ਓਫ ਕ੍ਲੋਥ ਥਾਟ ਸ੍ਤਾਤੇਸ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ ਆਸ ਆ ਨੇਗਾਤੀਵੇ ਬੇੰਗ ਓਰ ਸੋਮੇਥਿੰਗ ਥਾਟ ਓਫ੍ਫੇਨ੍ਡ੍ਸ ਥੇ ਤੇਆਚਿੰਗ੍ਸ ਓਫ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀ?! ਇ ਕ੍ਨੋਵ ਯੋਊ ਵਿਲ, ਸੋ ਯੋਊ ਕੈਨ੍ਨੋਤ ਸੀ ਥਾਟ ਯੋਊ ਵਿਲ ਨੋਟ ਬੇ 'ਹੁੰਗ ਉਪ' ਓਨ ਥੇ ਵ੍ਰਿਤਿੰਗ੍ਸ ਓਫ ਕ੍ਲੋਹਿੰਗ੍ਸ!
Brother Hashir let us not be over dramatic about a piece of cloth. I have seen many that simply wear nice to wear inspite of what was written on these? Usually the problem with what is written or embossed on cloth is rarely with the wearer but more who see the clothing and conjecture! Scriptures were not an issue with Guru ji but people like you, me and many others trying to grab on to some straws.

You probably know of the fashion chain below,

F446F28DE6AF1A59352384A9623232.jpg

Many Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc., wear their clothes and logo.

Take care.

Hashir

SPNer
Feb 15, 2012
fcuk is a fashion chain that is (french corporation United Kingdom) and Ambarsaria ji are you trying to deflect my question? Please answer clearly, would you would not mind as collectively in Sikhism, WOULD YOU OR WOULD YOU NOT care about wearing clothes, and we Muslims do care because we do not want Satanical clothing that will divert our mission to serve God!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
we Muslims do care because we do not want Satanical clothing that will divert our mission to serve God!
Hashir veer ji you answered your question yourself. We Sikhs do not believe in Satan, Hell, Heaven, Hoors, rivers of milk, etc., that some how await us here or there. Get in that mindset and then see how big a deal is the cloth example you mention about Guru Nanak Dev ji.

You I consider as my brother. You may consider every non-Muslim including me as Qafir! In that case problem is not me but someone else mundahug. Visit the Punjabi video section at SPN and see how many of my posts are of wonderfully talented Muslims performing in Punjabi including writings of Muslims.

Sat Sri Akal.

Hashir

SPNer
Feb 15, 2012
Actually, I welcome all to write poems, songs, etc. This is not a Qafir thing UNLESS you sing in the praise of another deity, in which I confirm that Sikhs take offence as well! By Satanical I mean bad! Not itself Satan, or the devil! And by Qafir we only say, who is not a believer of; One God and the Prophets' of Allah! We Ahmadi Muslims respect Baba Nanak ji, and know that he was a Muslim, as shown by various evidence and please may I suggest to look at this!

http://www.alislam.org/egazette/updates/baba-guru-nanak-a-muslim-saint/

Please read carefully and report Back

Sat Sri Akal

And

Wassalam

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
One God and the Prophets' of Allah! We Ahmadi Muslims respect Baba Nanak ji, and know that he was a Muslim, as shown by various evidence and please may I suggest to look at this!

http://www.alislam.org/egazette/upda...-muslim-saint/
Hashir I will definitely read.

Not to say in a disparaging way but I don't have a reference. It is noted somewhere that our Guru ji believed as Islam to be "Blind in one Eye" and I believe it related not to the part of one Creator but a specific person as messenger of God/Creator. In the same vein they stated Hinduism to be blind in both eyes with "Multiple Gods and the belief in Deities". So Sikh and Muslims are conceptually closer versus Sikhs and Hindus.

Take care and Wa Lakem Masalam!

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I'm just going to intervene slightly.
Now, I happened to know some ahmedi muslims back in Manchester, UK

They actually understood that Guru Nanak was seen as the founder of sikhism.
However, they highly respected his teachings and made it clear to me that as muslims they had to regard him as a muslim so as to respect his work.

They did not try to claim, even once that he was a muslim,but they had to accept him as one, as they understood the argument.
To them, the respect came first and this seemed to outweigh any reasons to claim his faith.

This is not an argument, but actual witnessed facts.

Sat kartar
LuckySingh

Aug 28, 2010
Thru this thread Sikhs should now realise significance of the concept of Sikh Identity envisaged by 1oth NanAk GuRoo Gobind Singh Ji as "Khalsa Sikh".
This is the far sighted ness of 10th NANAK.

Prakash.s.Bagga

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
but they had to accept him as one, as they understood the argument.

For us, any person who believes in the Unity of Creation, Truth, Fearlessness, No enmity, Timelessness of Universe is a Sikh. No matter what religion he comes from.

If Sikhi is a game of Love for Creator, how can it fit into religion?

When we stop defining things as imagined by men, and looking at things through the eyes of One Lord, a lot of what and how we understand changes!

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

It's the same information about ahmedha muslims, nothing new!!
We have discussed this already, and I have given a brief account about some ahmedha's that I have come across.

My answer to the original question ''was Guru Nanak a muslim?'' is still -NO-
No, he wasn't a muslim and never claimed to be,

But Jesus was a Jew ? and what was prophet Mohammed??
Well, the quaran claims that islam was around before Muhammed's time, but he was not muslim.
He belonged to some tribal religion that claimed to be descendents of Abraham!!

Maybe, you could correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:

mandemeet

SPNer
Apr 5, 2012
Actually, I welcome all to write poems, songs, etc. This is not a Qafir thing UNLESS you sing in the praise of another deity, in which I confirm that Sikhs take offence as well! By Satanical I mean bad! Not itself Satan, or the devil! And by Qafir we only say, who is not a believer of; One God and the Prophets' of Allah! We Ahmadi Muslims respect Baba Nanak ji, and know that he was a Muslim, as shown by various evidence and please may I suggest to look at this!

Sat Sri Akal

And

Wassalam

-----------------------------------

Hashir ji

All the people mentioned in the article you referred are not well versed in Gurbani knowledge; therefore, whatever they say cannot be accepted as factual analysis of Guru Nanak’s faith but only hear say. Dyanad Arya smaji called Guru Nanak an atheist and in hate he could have said him a Muslim too. Who cares about such narrow-minded man? By the way, who are these people to declare their decree on Guru Nanak about his faith? Were they witnesses to Guru Nanak’s life? Sitting on Guru Nanak’s throne, fifth Nanak declares openly about his no alliance to Hinduism and Islam, and that is enough to reject outright such imaginative conclusions mentioned in the article you are talking about. Read on 1136 Sri Guru Granth Sahib

ਵਰਤ ਰਹਉਮਹ ਰਮਦਾਨਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਸੇਵੀ ਜੋ ਰਖੈ ਨਿਦਾਨਾ
varaṯ na raha▫o na mah ramḏānā. Ŧis sevī jo rakẖai niḏānā. ||1||

I do not observe fasting nor I believe in the month of Ramzan (Muslim fasting time); I serve only that Prabh who protects in the end.

ਏਕੁ ਗੁਸਾਈ ਅਲਹੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹਾਂ ਨੇਬੇਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Ėk gusā▫ī alhu merā. Hinḏū ṯurak ḏuhāʼn neberā. ||1|| rahā▫o.

I believe in one Prabh, He is my Allah; He is my Master of the world; I am done with the both, Hindus and Muslims (what they believe in). Pause

How the decisions about not believing in what Hindus and Muslims believe is done, please read on the followings:

ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਉ ਤੀਰਥ ਪੂਜਾ ਏਕੋ ਸੇਵੀ ਅਵਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ
Haj kābai jā▫o na ṯirath pūjā. Ėko sevī avar na ḏūjā. ||2||

I do not go to Mecca, I do not worship at holy pilgrimage places; I serve only Prabh;

ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਉ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਉ ਏਕ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਲੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਉ
Pūjā kara▫o na nivāj gujāra▫o. Ėk nirankār le riḏai namaskāra▫o. ||3||

I do not perform worship (Hindu worship with rituals), I do not offer Niwaz (Muslim prayer); Only to One Formless Creator, I bow in my heart.

ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ
Nā ham hinḏū na musalmān. Alah rām ke pind parān. ||4||

We are neither Hindus nor Muslim; our bodies and lives belong to the Creator whom Hindus call Ram and Muslims call Allah.

Wake up man, Guru Nanak has nothing to do with Prophet Mohammed and Rama and Krishna devtas in context of worshiping of One All pervading power, the Creator.
With Regards
Mandemeet

Last edited:
May 24, 2008

Sat Sri Akal

And

Wassalam

Sir , If whole of world including Sikhs converted to Islam will there be more peace then . Religion is for your personal liberation not increasing the TRIBAL COUNT . IMHO Christianity Islam Judaism & Hinduism have got it all wrong . Only three who got it nearly right are Buddhism Jainism & of course Sikhism . FYI Guru Nanak Dev ji did not believe in Adam & Eve , Heaven & Hell , Earth made in Six days , God residing in Seventh Heaven , Day of judgement women inferior to men God residing in a particular place ie Kaaba , the existence of Satan , Muhammed as the last prophet or even the whole business of Prophetism , Fasting ( ramzaan ) , any special day ( Friday ) , the non believers as Kaafir , treatment of Kaafirs , sunnat ( circumcision ) , women not achieving liberation ( jannat ) , women not capable of performing religious duties , pilgrimages ( hajj ) , compulsory burial ( or even cremation ) , music as haraam , an angry God , polygamy ( four wives ) , religious places for Muslims only , ritual impurity ,ritual slaughter the list is very very long but so much only for today . Chola or no Chola is unimportant , Guru Nanak Dev Ji went to mosque in Sultanpur to say prayers but did not instead exposed the way of Qazi & Nawab , went to Jagganath Puri to participate in Aarti but revealed a totally NEW way of Aarti . As regards to Guru Nanak Dev ji a Muslim & not forming a new religion please read this article
http://www.searchsikhism.com/islam2.html

Last edited:

Edachery

SPNer
Apr 27, 2014
All religions are for the entire humanity. No religion is perfect. When a Prophet comes, people challenge him, later obey him. When he dies, they either make him a god or claim that he is the last prophet.
Another prophet has to work a lot to change these blind believers.

Kulbirrose

SPNer
Sep 2, 2014
Re: Was Guru Nanak a Muslim ?

Greetings! Yes, there is something you have missed. So, we shall endeavor to make sure you know what has been going on - for quite some time.
Many followers of Islam have no qualms about trying to convert as many people as they can to Islam. They will kill, spend huge amounts of money, and/or lie whenever they can to get as many converts as they can; many actually believe that if they convert a large number of people to Islam they will be having a great time when they die and go to Paradise. So oftenly you will find trolls on the internet making strange statements like Nanak was muslim.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM