• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Wanna-Be Sikh / Some Thoughts & Questions

Sicarius

SPNer
Jul 10, 2012
I have read much of Sikhism and have committed myself to embracing it.
I contacted a Granthi in Lincoln Nebraska (an hour from Omaha - where I live) 8 months ago before I left to visit my country of origin Bolivia. The Granthi invited me to their make-shift monthly Gurudwara and Langar, but when I followed up kind of dissapeared. I don't know why seemed a bit strange.

Now I have returned to Omaha, and want to get further into Sikhism.
I have contacted a student at my University who is a Sikh, and he has stated he'd like to meet up sometime so I can learn more.

Some questions I have are the following;

1) What is the canon I should read to delve myself into Sikhism? I have many writings of Nanak, the Rehras Sahib. Where should I go to next? Would a more scholastic overview such as Macaullife's aid me more than the prayer books translated into English.

2) Where can I find out about the Branches of Sikhism? I understand Sikhism is not a unified body, instead a body of different views on the fundamental teachings. What is the most prevalent 'branch' ? Where can I found out about others?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Howdy

Am I right in observing that you've committed to embracing Sikhism but you don't know the name of the 'scripture'?

Read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji www.srigranth.org, read what people have said about it, and think about it yourself.

Read the Sikh Rehat Maryada http://sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.asp

Lots of people will try to say there aren't branches in Sikhism... The main branch adhears to the above Sikh Rehat Maryada. There are other branches with their own Maryada, like Damdami Taksaal http://www.damdamitaksaal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=68

Compare the two Maryadas and you'll see why the SGPC version is the mainstream.

Sicarius

SPNer
Jul 10, 2012
I do know that the Guru Granth Sahib is akin to a 'bible' for Sikhism, I am not so ignorant as to embrace something I know nothing about. When I spoke of a canon, I was speaking more of works that are more accessible. The prayer books are powerful, but I feel they are meant to be recited and prayed. Some clarification is in order a la Catechism of the Catholic Church for example - an entire text dedicated to explanation of the religion (as flawed as it may be).

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Sicarius-ji, from my understanding the most important book you can read in regard to Sikhi & learning about it is the Sri Guru Granth Sahib-ji, this is the authoritative text - I guess it is as clear a statement of the faith as you will find in Sikhi.

I'm new to Sikhi myself so I might have to be corrected.

Just to clarify (because it seems what you want is clarity), the Sri Guru Granth Sahib-ji is ideally the book you need most, in authority it unfathomably exceeds any prayer book. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib-ji is the book you are looking for and the book you should pay most attention to.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Guru Granth Sahib is not just ultimate source of knowledge, it is your living teacher and spiritual guide. There are 'Nitnem' prayers from Guru Granth Sahib, which you can start reading, like Japji Sahib. Take help from someone who reads them in the morning and can also translate for you in English to discuss.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM