• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Waheguru

justosh

SPNer
Jun 2, 2008
London
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ki Fateh.

sadh sangat ji.

i would like to ask two questions in this thread.

after the first one has been answered i will proceed on the the next one.

quite simply, what does Waheguru mean.

:)

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
right but is that how we are meant to see God?

YES..Thats what we are supposed to...say/feel..when we "SEE" what WAHEGURU actually IS..and DOES...His Cosmos..His nature..His Natural Laws in Action..the Galaxies and Planets swinging through space..his Earths exploding in volcanic eruptions..His flowers blooming.His Oceans stirring..His mountains soaring...WAH WAH WAH...OH WONDERFUL..WONDER..OH What a WONDER..HE IS..BEYOND WORDS..descriptions..BEYOND BEYOND...WAH...GURU...

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_
I've also read that it can be translated as:

Wahe (Wow!) cheerleader
GuRu (Your Light removes the darkness!)

Its probably a new agey version, but it feels so true. The Divine Teacher is Wow! (so awesome/wonderful beyond description/exciting to the heart that connects with it) and takes us from a place of ignorance(darkness) to wisdom (light/bliss).

I'm wondering what Sikhs think of what I italicized. Am I getting it right? For me, I have fallen love lately with exclaiming in my heart: "Vahe! Guruuuuu!" as if I'm in a state of awe and "thinking as if..." .

peacesignkaur

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Sat Nam _/|\_
I've also read that it can be translated as:

Wahe (Wow!) cheerleader
GuRu (Your Light removes the darkness!)

Its probably a new agey version, but it feels so true. The Divine Teacher is Wow! (so awesome/wonderful beyond description/exciting to the heart that connects with it) and takes us from a place of ignorance(darkness) to wisdom (light/bliss).

I'm wondering what Sikhs think of what I italicized. Am I getting it right? For me, I have fallen love lately with exclaiming in my heart: "Vahe! Guruuuuu!" as if I'm in a state of awe and "thinking as if..." .

peacesignkaur

Namjiwan Ji..

Thats EXACTLY as it appears in the SGGS.....its WOW WOW WOW and more WOW....waheguru, waheguru, waheguru..waheguru..waheguru..waheguru...wahe JIO...and translated as you did...japposatnamwaheguru:

itsmaneet

SPNer
Jun 13, 2012
Nagpur, India
Waheguru is the Gurmantar that would eradicate the darkness (spiritual)

It took 36 yugs for the formation of the Gurmantar 'WAHEGURU' 9 Yugs each for Wa, He, Gu & Ru. So one can imagine the intense power of Waheguru. It's the Waheguru thats operating the numerous galaxies & the Waheguru Naam is consistent that is keeping all things intact. The moment Waheguru Naam stops all will vanish .... so it's all the will of the All Mighty AKAL PURAKH.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

It took 36 yugs for the formation of the Gurmantar 'WAHEGURU' 9 Yugs each for Wa, He, Gu & Ru. So one can imagine the intense power of Waheguru. It's the Waheguru thats operating the numerous galaxies & the Waheguru Naam is consistent that is keeping all things intact. The moment Waheguru Naam stops all will vanish .... so it's all the will of the All Mighty AKAL PURAKH.

Where is this written?

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
_/|\_ SatNam

How can we not prostrate at the WaheGuru's Divine Feet when we realize this? How can we not humbled into recognizing how we are little specks of dust compared to this !ALLMIGHTINESS!?

It took 36 yugs for the formation of the Gurmantar 'WAHEGURU' 9 Yugs each for Wa, He, Gu & Ru. So one can imagine the intense power of Waheguru. It's the Waheguru thats operating the numerous galaxies & the Waheguru Naam is consistent that is keeping all things intact. The moment Waheguru Naam stops all will vanish .... so it's all the will of the All Mighty

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Close it's not 36 but 4 Yugs, at least that's how it appears in Bhai Gurdas Ji's Vaars. Where are you getting 36 from?

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
It is 4 yugs or ages and the different references to God as according to vedas.

Wa- from Vasudev
He- from Hari
Gu- from Gobind
Ru- from Ram

After some researching a while back, I concluded that there are different derivations and descriptions for the 'waheguru' reference.

In addition to above, there is the 'wah' as explained earlier meaning wonderful
There is also the- 'Wahed' meaning One and Only in persian.
This gives the ''one and only Guru''

Lastly, there is also
WA- Wa or wow!!- amazing, astonishing
HE- Means everywhere and anywhere
GU- Meaning Darkness
RU- Meaning Light.

GURU- from here can mean ''going from Darkness to Light''
This being that can transform dark to light is also what 'Enlightened' means

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
YUG...YUG...YUGH...is the "sound" of milk coming out from a Six Gallon Bottle I drink from daily...and after reading this post i counted....and it takes exactly 36 YUGH...YUGH...YUGH..to completely empty it of all the milk...WAHEGURU. Maybe the 36 figure came from that ???icecreammunda

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
YUG...YUG...YUGH...is the "sound" of milk coming out from a Six Gallon Bottle I drink from daily...and after reading this post i counted....and it takes exactly 36 YUGH...YUGH...YUGH..to completely empty it of all the milk...WAHEGURU. Maybe the 36 figure came from that ???icecreammunda

I suspect it might actually have to do with the glugs to finish a six gallon strawberry milkshake. icecreammundaicecreamkudiicecreamkudiicecreammundaicecreamkudiicecreammunda

PS- Just so you know, I am not trying to be disrespectful of anything about this conversation. I just thought of the glugging I do when drinking Wendy's Frosty's through a straw. :)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
A day at SPN.

Meditation for Beginners by Gyani ji

Meditation is about as easy as pouring milk. Really, it's so simple. Get a carton of milk and get yourself a really big glass. Now pour the milk in to the glass such that the air goes into the carton to replace milk at such a speed that it makes the sound "yug" and makes it 36 times. Here is the crucial bit. Say "Wa" over the first nine "yug" sounds as you pour milk into your glass. Say "Hay" over the next nine "yug" sounds. Say "Gu" over the next nine and "Ru" over the next nine.

Namjiwan ji "Gyani ji, that works not just for pouring milk but drinking it as well. I like to make a strawberry milkshake out of it, then drink it in 36 Glugs."

BhagatSingh "Namjivan ji you are an expert at this. Try going further. So we have poured milk, drank it but can you meditate while you excrete it. The trick is to pee at the right..."

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
A day at SPN.

Meditation for Beginners by Gyani ji

Meditation is about as easy as pouring milk. Really, it's so simple. Get a carton of milk and get yourself a really big glass. Now pour the milk in to the glass such that the air goes into the carton to replace milk at such a speed that it makes the sound "yug" and makes it 36 times. Here is the crucial bit. Say "Wa" over the first nine "yug" sounds as you pour milk into your glass. Say "Hay" over the next nine "yug" sounds. Say "Gu" over the next nine and "Ru" over the next nine.

Namjiwan ji "Gyani ji, that works not just for pouring milk but drinking it as well. I like to make a strawberry milkshake out of it, then drink it in 36 Glugs."

BhagatSingh "Namjivan ji you are an expert at this. Try going further. So we have poured milk, drank it but can you meditate while you excrete it. The trick is to pee at the right..."

A man in a pug
drank milk from a jug
for 36 times it went yug
until he came across a bug
he gave it a hug
and together they danced on the rug
before peeing together
in a hole in the ground
that was freshly dug.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
_/|\_ Sat Nam

Where can I learn about this? Its mysticism so its right up my alley. I'd love to learn more.

Blessed Be kudihug
Nam Jiwan

It is 4 yugs or ages and the different references to God as according to vedas.

Wa- from Vasudev
He- from Hari
Gu- from Gobind
Ru- from Ram

After some researching a while back, I concluded that there are different derivations and descriptions for the 'waheguru' reference.

In addition to above, there is the 'wah' as explained earlier meaning wonderful
There is also the- 'Wahed' meaning One and Only in persian.
This gives the ''one and only Guru''

Lastly, there is also
WA- Wa or wow!!- amazing, astonishing
HE- Means everywhere and anywhere
GU- Meaning Darkness
RU- Meaning Light.

GURU- from here can mean ''going from Darkness to Light''
This being that can transform dark to light is also what 'Enlightened' means

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: