• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

[VIDEO] India 'objects' To Jay Leno's Remark On Sikh Golden Temple

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
After the recent furore over the controversial episode of the BBC programme Top Gear, in which India was subjected to 'toilet humour', India has strongly "objected" to a remark made about one of India's most iconic religious landmarks by popular US television host Jay Leno.

Leno, host of the " The Tonight Show", flashed a picture of the Golden Temple in Amritsar on his programme and termed it as a 'possible summer home of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.'

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WfGlyjY5bJU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

The remark was picked up by American-Indian community leaders and visiting Non Resident Indian affairs minister Vayalar Ravi yesterday "objected" to the remark.

"It is quite unfortunate and quite objectionable that such a comment has been made after showing the...Golden temple," Ravi told Indian media.

"[The] Golden temple is [the] Sikh community's most sacred place. Even our Prime Minister went there for praying in the New Year. I believe that the person who has shown [this] is not that ignorant. The American Government should also look at this kind of thing," he said.

"I wish this kind of thing is not shown by any media in the US," Ravi said, adding that he has not seen the show personally and has heard about it from the Sikh community in the US who were outraged. There are around 600,000 Sikhs in the US.

"Freedom does not mean hurt the sentiments of others... This is not acceptable to us and we take a very strong objection for such a display of an important place like Golden temple," Ravi said.

"The embassy is fully aware of it and they will take it up," he said. He added he has directed Indian Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, to take up the matter with the US State Department.

An online petition has been started against Leno a Facebook page was created to express their anger against him. The page is believed to have only have 8 Likes. However similar groups have been launched.

http://www.blottr.com/breaking-news/video-india-objects-jay-lenos-remark-sikh-golden-temple

Attachments

• Jay%20Leno.jpg
    Jay%20Leno.jpg
    34 KB · Reads: 703
Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Just how precious should we be? Being able to rise above such and being gracious is, in my view, what Sikhi is about, it would show the world we are a bit more enlightened than our chest beating and effigy burning brothers, which brings another point, where do these people get these effigies so quickly from? Is there a shop, 'effigies are us', that stock all the things you need for a good chest beating display of anger in some secret part of the neighbourhood?

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
[FONT=garamond,serif]I have been thinking about this, as well. I have watched Jay Leno for many years. No one is safe from his "wit." He makes fun of everybody and everything. Nothing is outside of the pale of his comedy. We did not object when he made fun of the Vatican or for the myriad things he has said about Muslims. To be honest, I'm certain he meant no more or less disrespect toward Sikhs than he has for everyone else.

Yes, of course, we should demand an apology and we will probably get one. He's a comedian out to make people laugh, not to hurt people's sensitivities.

A thought: If we go ballistic about this, how are we going to react when South Park gets around to us? They will eventually, you know. They've taken on everybody from the Christians to the Scientologists and they are ongoingly hard on the Jews. (One of the writers is Jewish.) [/FONT]
[FONT=garamond,serif]Yes, they've hit at the Hindus and Buddhists, as well. [/FONT][FONT=garamond,serif]They have made fun of the poor, the handicapped, people with AIDS, even the 9-11 attacks. At some point, unless the show is cancelled, which it won't be because it's very popular, they will take notice of Sikhs. What will we do?
[/FONT]

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
I think in a perverse way it raises the visibility of Sikhs in USA. By the way for decades I saw Tibetan monks and like getting free food and support around Harmandir Sahib so I am sure it can accommodate Mitt Romney as well :grinningsingh:. He just has to sustain on "Dall and Phulka/ Pulses and leavened bread". Probably some of the Nihangs around can Ghot/crush some Shardaee for him to lighten his mood for the loss in South Carolina (apparently Iowa too after all was counted in).

Sat Sri Akal.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I think in a perverse way it raises the visibility of Sikhs in USA. By the way for decades I saw Tibetan monks and like getting free food and support around Harmandir Sahib so I am sure it can accommodate Mitt Romney as well :grinningsingh:. He just has to sustain on "Dall and Phulka/ Pulses and leavened bread". Probably some of the Nihangs around can Ghot/crush some Shardaee for him to lighten his mood for the loss in South Carolina (apparently Iowa too after all was counted in).

Sat Sri Akal.

Yes, Sikhi could teach him a lot if he'd listen. Romney, I mean. Leno, too, if it comes to that.

I think this whole to-do is just a bit silly. Jay Leno is an insensitive clod, but he's a very funny insensitive clod and lots of people, including me, laugh at his monologues and headlines and Jay-walking.

I continue to wait for the South Park attack. I'm curious if we'll show any maturity. To be totally honest, I wonder how I'll feel. I'm sure I won't go ballistic, I just wonder what it'll feel like.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
I just read the offending comments.

I think at this point we owe him an apology. A big one. He was making a joke with a point.

These comments are obscene and even threatening. They shame and embarrass me. Isn't it time we grow up as a community and get a slightly thicker skin and learn to take offense only when offense is intended.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Inderjeet ji,
I dont think they are going to apologise..i think such complete idiots are around just to throw "****" at the Fan so the Genuine SIKHS get an even worse image everytime such issues crop up..they are there to make 'Dung" while the Sun shines !! They are all over the Internet..making their sick comments, out of hand offensive remarks, vulgar language and desi galaan...to make us Sikhs look uncouth dumbos who only know vulgarity.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Inderjeet ji,
I dont think they are going to apologise..i think such complete idiots are around just to throw "****" at the Fan so the Genuine SIKHS get an even worse image everytime such issues crop up..they are there to make 'Dung" while the Sun shines !! They are all over the Internet..making their sick comments, out of hand offensive remarks, vulgar language and desi galaan...to make us Sikhs look uncouth dumbos who only know vulgarity.

Reading, I was wondering if they are Sikhs at all, or possibly Hinduvta types. Seems you had the same notion. GMTA!

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
US defends Jay Leno's right to free speech over Golden Temple remark

PTI | Jan 24, 2012, 04.26PM IST

WASHINGTON,
Amid controversy over popular TV host Jay Leno's remarks on the Golden Temple, the US has defended his right to free speech terming his comments as "satirical" while applauding contributions of Sikh-Americans.

"I think that Leno would be appreciative if we make the point that his comments are constitutionally protected in the United States under free speech, and frankly, they appeared to be satirical in nature," US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters.

"But from a US official government perspective, we have absolute respect for all the people of India, including Sikhs here, there," she said.

President Barack Obama was the first US president ever to host a celebration in honour of Guru Nanak, who is the first Sikh guru, she noted.

"You know, our view is obviously that Sikh Americans have contributed greatly to the United States," Nuland said.

She was responding to a question on the recent remarks on the Golden Temple by Leno, the host of the popular 'The Tonight Show' on NBC channel.

In the show, telecast on January 19, Leno showing a picture of the Golden Temple, the holiest Sikh shrine, had termed it as a possible summer home of Mitt Romney, a leading Republican presidential hopeful.

His comments have resulted in an outrage in the small but strong Sikh community here. They have launched an online petition against Leno and started a Facebook page to express their anger against the television host.

source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Golden-Temple-remark/articleshow/11616019.cms

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Reading, I was wondering if they are Sikhs at all, or possibly Hinduvta types. Seems you had the same notion. GMTA!
Inderjeet Kaur ji you don't need to go very far to see such types. Read the post above yours and see how quickly thinhgs get picked up by so called well wishers of Sikhism. They never miss a beat unless of course it is the detriment or mis-guidance of Sikhism is under consideration. This forum, Punjab and the world is full of such bent on making Sikhism look like something else.

Some religions don't even teach or guide people to speak or accept basic truths.

Sat Sri Akal.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Kamala ji read between the lines and hit the jackpot....in Punjabi what she saw is called...Doosreh de modheh upar rafal rakh ke shoot karna..( simple English..Use anothers shoulder to steady your rifle !!....meaning the shooter is NOT who he seems to be...the REAL Assassin is hiding behind the one seemingly carrying the rifle on his shoulder....what stretegy and its called CHAKARVIEW ??? ).
Thanks Kamala Ji for this jem...

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM