• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Vegetarians Avoid Cancer

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Vegetarians Avoid More Cancers Than Meat Eaters

July 1st, 2009

veges.jpg
Vegetarians are generally less likely than meat eaters to develop cancer but this does not apply to all forms of the disease, a major study has found.

The study involving 60,000 people found those who followed a vegetarian diet developed notably fewer cancers of the blood, bladder and stomach. But the apparently protective effect of vegetarian did not seem to stretch to bowel cancer, a major killer.

The study is published in the British Journal of Cancer.

Researchers from universities in the UK and New Zealand followed 61,566 British men and women.

They included meat-eaters, those who ate fish but not meat, and those who ate neither meat nor fish.

VEGETARIANS GOT NOTABLY FEWER OF THESE CANCERS:

• Stomach
  • Bladder
  • Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
  • Multiple myeloma
Overall, their results suggested that while in the general population about 33 people in 100 will develop cancer during their lifetime, for those who do not eat meat that risk is reduced to about 29 in 100.

Special protection?
The researchers said they found marked differences between meat-eaters and vegetarians in the propensity to cancers of the lymph and the blood, with vegetarians just over half as likely to develop these forms of the disease.

In the case of multiple myeloma, a relatively rare cancer of the bone marrow, vegetarians were 75% less likely to develop the disease than meat-eaters.

The reduction was less notable for fish-eaters with these cancers. The reasons, researchers said, were unclear, but potential mechanisms could include viruses and mutation-causing compounds in meat - or alternatively that vegetables confer special protection.

There were also striking differences in rates of stomach cancer. Although the numbers of cases were small, fish-eaters and vegetarians were about a third as likely to develop the disease as meat-eaters.

Previous research has already implicated processed meats in stomach cancer, so these findings were not entirely surprising. It is thought N-nitroso compounds found in these meats may damage DNA, while the high temperatures they are cooked at may also produce carcinogens.

But the same reduction for vegetarians was not found with cancers of the bowel, one of the most common forms of the disease. The vegetarians in the group in fact had a slightly higher rate of cancers of the colon and the rectum, although not significantly so.

But the relative risk for fish-eaters and vegetarians of cervical cancer was twice that of meat-eaters. The number of cases was small, and could be down to chance but the researchers said it was possible that dietary factors influenced the virus behind cervical cancer.

Professor Tim Key, the lead author, said it was impossible to draw strong conclusions from this one single study saying, “At the moment these findings are not strong enough to ask for particularly large changes in the diets of people following an average balanced diet ”

Vegetarian diets tend be lower in fat and higher in fibre, but they can require careful planning to ensure necessary protein and vitamins - notably B12, which is mainly derived from animal products - are taken in sufficient amounts.

'Complex process'
A spokesperson for Cancer Research UK, which funded the research, said:"These interesting results add to the evidence that what we eat affects our chances of developing cancer. We know that eating a lot of red and processed meat increases the risk of stomach cancer.

"But the links between diet and cancer risk are complex and more research is needed to see how big a part diet plays and which specific dietary factors are most important.

Myeloma UK said this was the first data of its kind for the bone marrow cancer "and for that reason we are treating it with caution.

"Dietary advice to myeloma patients remains aligned with national guidance - that they should eat a healthy, balanced diet high in fibre, fruit and vegetables and low in saturated fat, salt and red and processed meat."

Dr Panagiota Mitrou, Science and Research Programme Manager for the World Cancer Research Fund, said: "The suggestion that vegetarians might be at reduced risk of blood cancers is particularly interesting.

"However, this finding should be treated with caution since not much is known about the link between diet and these types of cancer. Further studies of vegetarians are needed before we can be confident this is actually the case."

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
One of the reasons vegetarians are able to avoid cancers more than meat eaters is because
meat often has parasites in it. Various studies have shown that parasites may play a significant role
in cancer.

santupma

SPNer
Jun 27, 2009
This is NOT a MEAT VEGE debate. Please restrict such posts to Fools Wrangle over Flesh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Excellent post.

I learned to love mt Greens from my powerlifting days.

If you are a meat eater, remeber to always eat plenty of Fibre and balance up your diet.

If you are a Vege (no eggs) then remember to supplement your diet to avoid other problems.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
randip ji

I thought it was a good article because it was balanced. It did not make crazed claims and was sufficiently critical of itself. Some cancers not all cancers "seem" to be lessened. And the author is willing to say that the final verdict is not in, and the article does not report that it is.

Jan 7, 2009
Can anyone give me any suggestions on protein supplements. Being a vegetarian and having an active lifestyle I feel mt body is lacking protein. Can anyone help?

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me any suggestions on protein supplements. Being a vegetarian and having an active lifestyle I feel mt body is lacking protein. Can anyone help?

Whey Protein is good but it could make you a bit fat.

Make sure you supplement with B12, most importantly. I went Vege a few years back and my levels dropped like crazy.

People recommend Soya but I have read bad things about it.

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
I was not treating this as a meat vs veg. I was simply pointing out the fact that often meat has parasites in it, and obviously vegetarians do not eat meat, so since parasites have been shown to be related to various types of canceers, it would be ipso facto why vegetarians may suffer less incidents of cancer than meat eaters.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Susan,

You should according to some research I have read eat yogurt if you are on a vegatarian diet. There are aminos and B vitamins in yogurt that are essential for heart health and lacking in the non-meat eaters diet. Also look for natural sources of luteinfor eye health.

Here is a site with a lot of information on lutein.

Home - Lutein Information Bureau

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I was not treating this as a meat vs veg. I was simply pointing out the fact that often meat has parasites in it, and obviously vegetarians do not eat meat, so since parasites have been shown to be related to various types of canceers, it would be ipso facto why vegetarians may suffer less incidents of cancer than meat eaters.

Hehe, I remember opening pea pods with my mum a finding many a parasite inside. So I think parasites can come in many places.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
This SAME question was asked every tiem I visited my young friend Iqbal kaur who died after a 5 year battle with Bone cancer in Kuala Lumpur recently at age 17.
She and her entire family have been STRICT VEGETARIANS...for nearly three generations... even Eggs they dont take.
Every viist..they would begin......But GYANI JI..we dotn take even EGGS...we are strict vegetraians..why our youngster has to die this horrible death...cut off so young...the Boen cancer was discovered, leg transplanted..yet it continued to grow..in her lungs, chest acvity...chemeos and other horrible therapies failed to stem its relentless march towards the Cremation Grounds... Her Bhog is this Sunday...and i am sure to face some more of these same queries..answers are beyond me...MY DAD took meat all his lefe, my Great dads both used to settle one complete Goat Kid at one sitting..a few chickens were almost weekly affair...NOT a SINGLE Case of Cancer in my Family....this Family KNOWS THIS..thats why the questions...and MY ANSWER IS..ONLY HE KNOWS..its HIS HUKM. PERIOD.
That Vegetrain family ahs another two or three cancer cases..but they recovered..for the time being...

Last edited:

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Actually, you are quite right- they can show up in fruits and vegetables, so that just goes to show we have to be careful with whatever it is we eat! Thank you for pointing this out.

Incidently, here is a video that everyone might find interesting: got the following from a friend:
It's not enough that they pollute with
real toxins including dangerous
substances like mercury...

It's not enough that they push
food that's not only non-nutritious
but also injurious to health...

It's not enough they they approve
drugs that not only don't work, but
also create dangerous, side effects...

They (the medical-industrial- food
complex) also wants to take away
your ability to opt out of their
madness.

Details (from the Real Food Channel):

http://www.therealf oodchannel. com/page/ 24..html

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
actually NOTHING is quite safe anymore..business and commercial interests and GREED are at the root of all these cases of too much pesticides, chemicals, FAKE foods, medicines, drugs etc etc..I have myself seen GHEE being made form UREA KHAAD in PUNJAB...fake milk..fake Mithayees, Fake CHEESE etc. ONLY GOD cna help those who eat these FAKE stuff. Meat industry feeds chicken remains to cows..cow offal to chickens....chicken droppings to Fish...and the cycle of exploitation goes on..we are all eating RECYCLED POOP. SERIOUS.
PLANT YOUR OWN VEGETABLE GARDEN....eat your own house raised chickesn..etc to shut out most of the "poop"...and DONT DRINK..cola, ice creams etc sold in town...just rely on HOME WATER.:rofl::rofl:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
This SAME question was asked every tiem I visited my young friend Iqbal kaur who died after a 5 year battle with Bone cancer in Kuala Lumpur recently at age 17.
She and her entire family have been STRICT VEGETARIANS...for nearly three generations... even Eggs they dont take.
Every viist..they would begin......But GYANI JI..we dotn take even EGGS...we are strict vegetraians..why our youngster has to die this horrible death...cut off so young...the Boen cancer was discovered, leg transplanted..yet it continued to grow..in her lungs, chest acvity...chemeos and other horrible therapies failed to stem its relentless march towards the Cremation Grounds... Her Bhog is this Sunday...and i am sure to face some more of these same queries..answers are beyond me...MY DAD took meat all his lefe, my Great dads both used to settle one complete Goat Kid at one sitting..a few chickens were almost weekly affair...NOT a SINGLE Case of Cancer in my Family....this Family KNOWS THIS..thats why the questions...and MY ANSWER IS..ONLY HE KNOWS..its HIS HUKM. PERIOD.That Vegetrain family ahs another two or three cancer cases..but they recovered..for the time being...

Gyani ji,

Guru Fateh.

I totally agree with you. In the US we have Spinach, Lettuce, Tomatoes etc etc with E coli and it happens very often.

When I was in India, we ate meat everyday, went hunting for partridges, quails, hare, deer, ducks almost every weekend depending on the season. No one died of cancer in my family either.

Tejwant Singh

Jan 7, 2009
Randip Singh and aad0002
Thank you for your suggestions. There are protein powders catered towards women with less calories,so maybe I'll try it. Lutein I was not aware of. I will definetely look that up. Thanks you guys.

Jan 7, 2009
Gurfateh Susan!

If you eat dals, milk and yoghurt, nuts etc, you'll probably be getting enough protein.

Kind regards.

Thank you Simba Ji for your suggestions.
I think nuts might be my answer :cheerleader:. I used to eat a hand full a day,but have recently stopped. Thanks again.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
susan ji

Good luck with the protein powders -- they make me gag - and so I am a yogurt girl all the way. Simba is right because the dal, yoghurt and nuts do make a total protein combination. And is far less expensive than powders. Just my thoughts.

Thank you Simba Ji for your suggestions.
I think nuts might be my answer :cheerleader:. I used to eat a hand full a day,but have recently stopped. Thanks again.

hello susan

some nuts are healthier than others. I know that almonds and walnuts and pistachios are better for you if you have cholesterol problems. note most nuts are also fatty, high in fats (lots of calories) so i would not recomend nuts as the primary source of protein unless you wish to sumo.

Nuts are good for you but be careful. peanuts and soybean are susceptible to attack by Aspergillus flavus (fungus) that produces a carcinogen called aflatoxin. so dont eat nuts gone bad or old peanut butter and never keep them in warm/wet areas

eat varied protein diets and you will get all the required amino acids. cereal, bread, soy, beans, nuts, lots of dairy products like cheese etc

also you will need to supplement your diet with vitamin B12 (the most important thing lacking in vegetarian diets) and D...B12 you can get from dairy products or seaweed (although absorption through seaweed is more difficult), i would still recomend a supplement. You need 1.5 Micrograms a day of B12. vitamin D you can supplement or just sunbathe.

vege heads are also notorious for lacking iron and zinc.... eat alot of citrous fruit (vitamin c) with your heavy iron meals as this will help facilitate iron absorption.

Aside: its usually a wide variety of things that go wrong at the cell level that leads to the development of a cancer cell.

are vegetarians better at warding off cancer?

id think that people who eat a balanced diet are the most healthiest group of people. those who cant balance and live in both extremes end up with something artificial and unhealthy. but some just cant eat meat and that is understandable.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sinister ji

Thanks for summing up the vitamin/protein issues. One thing to add -- for women, pantothenic acid which is part of the B complex -- and when missing can cause issues.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM