• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Vegan Vegetable Soup

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Kids love my vegan vegetable soup. They do. Kids who refuse to eat veggies often love vegetable soup. Go figure. Anyway, there is no reason to feed them the chemical over-salted concoction that you buy in a can or dried. [Yes, Campbell's, I talking about you.]
My simplest version of this is almost as easy as opening a can. I use a crockpot, but it is equally simple on the stovetop. After I'll list variations that can add a lot to it.

EASY VEGAN VEGETABLE SOUP
1 small package frozen mixed vegetables
1 quart/liter-sized bottle of low sodium mixed vegetable juice (I use V- 8, but I'm sure you can find a less objectable brand that costs twice as much in the organic food section of your grocery store.)

I let the veggies thaw. You don't have to, but the cooking is a lot faster if you do.

Toss the veggies and the juice together, turn your crockpot on high, season to taste with salt and pepper, and in a few minutes, you'll have delicious soup. Or turn it on low and eat it when you get home from work. If you're cooking on stove top, you'll have to be stirring it so it doesn't stick.

That's the simplest, but not the best.

46494469_1750295448413502_7339347433752625152_n.jpg

Vegan vegetarian soup with all the extras - plus a cornmeal muffin

Variations
Of course, this is a great way to use up left-over vegetables or to add fresh ones you have on hand. You can also add any vegetable broth.

I usually add some water because the juice can get a bit concentrated as it heats.

I almost always saute some mushrooms, onions, and green peppers together and throw those in, plus I boil some potatoes to not-quite-done, chop them into bite-sized pieces, throw in some beans or dal - any kind, but black beans are especially good - canned or cooked by you (for protein and taste).

A cup or so of undercooked pasta also adds interest, especially for kids.

And, absolutely necessary for the grown-ups, a couple of good shakes of Tapatio. Southerners can use Tobasco, but I'm a huge fan of Tapatio.

Toppings are good, too. Croutons, vegan parmesan cheese, plain vegan yogurt or sour cream, all are fine.

I like to serve it with cornbread or corn muffins. Roti or saltine crackers work well, too. The Chinese soup spoon is an affectation of mine and I think it looks nice in the picture.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: