• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Universal Appeal In Sikhism

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Universal Appeal in Sikhism

Most of the time religions get controlled by those people who are not even abiding by the basic principles of religions. People with open minds face a big problem in this aspect. Today, when democracy is on the rise, citizenry is free; there is a spiritual need of a religion that can help the human race to respect all regardless of their different opinions. On the basis of fabricated ideology, the claim of superiority to one religion to another one has halted the growth of harmony in the world. When a liberal person meets so called real believers (fanatics), he/she gets shocked to know that their urge to control the world in their own possessive approach is in high gravity. Their attitude is like” my way or no way”. Psychologists call it an instinct of dominance. This alone plays a vital role in destruction of the civility in human race; it won’t be wrong to say that blood in the history of human race was shed due to this madness. This instinct leads to flourish ego to its extreme. In this aspect, Sikhism and its liberal approach towards non Sikhs go all the way. There are some fundamentalists in Sikhism too who have built a barrier around this stunningly logic based religion. Satguru Nanak, founder of Sikhism advises the followers to just fall in love with the Creator with the help of true Guru who experienced Him, every thing around will change in value, like there will be nothing but His creation; with His presence in it, mind will be stilled, an ecstasy of being with Him surges, and ego and anger will disappear. Sounds impossible? No it is not if practiced well.

ਖੋਜਤ ਖੋਜਤ ਪਾਇਆ ਡਰੁ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਮਿਲਾਇ ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਘਰਿ ਵਸੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਜਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਊਜਲੇ ਜੋ ਰਾਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਇ {ਪੰਨਾ 57}
( In essence: With the help of Guru the fact that the best way to be with Him, is to have fear and respect of The Almighty. As one realizes the purpose of life with Guru ji’s blessings, act of falling in love with Him occurs, ego and avarice go away>)

For the unity, in Sikhism, advice is to worship only the Supreme Being that created the whole World ( Rag Tukhari Mehla 1), name Him as one wishes , people have different names for Him, so what? As they have different language, their name for Him obviously will be different. As long as we are in love with him, ego, anger, lust, avarice etc will not affect the mind and by eliminating “self”, liberation materializes. Read on
ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਤਬ ਲਗੁ ਬਿਘਨੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਿਰੁ ਦੇ ਛੁਟੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਸੋਇ ੧੦ {ਪੰਨਾ 992}
Why some people see others as a danger to their existence? When minds are closed, His creation doesn’t appeal, a lot of displeasure about it, takes over us. Satguru Nanak says beautifully
ਸਭ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਸੁਬਹਾਨੁ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਈਐ ਸਿਝੈ ਦਰਿ ਦੀਵਾਨਿ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਈਐ {ਪੰਨਾ 142}
( In essence: The one who is lost in His love, for him/her all the world looks beautiful. He/she stays involeved in Him by sacrificing his/her body and soul)

Conflicts are originated from ego, greed, anger. If these are over come with sincere effort, harmony blossoms.

Sikhism doesn’t claim unlike some other religions that the liberation/experience is possible only in its way. While confronting people of other faiths, Satguru Nanak asks them to be good, have high ethical approach, and have love, respect and fears of God. It is the deeds that would help you out. Importance of Guru is compulsory as people often get ruled by ego etc. The basic principles of Sikhism are explained in Mool Mantra and through out Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Here is another example of that without any ambiguity by fourth Nanak It is all about Panth of Satgur Nanak, with an example of personal experience
ਮੇਰੈ ਹੀਅਰੈ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਇ ਕੀ ਗੁਰਿ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਪੰਥੁ ਬਤਾਇਆ ਮੇਰਾ ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਆਗੈ ਜਿਨਿ ਵਿਛੁੜਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਗਲਿ ਲਾਇਆ ॥੨ਮੇਰੈ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗੀ ਦੇਖਨ ਕਉ ਗੁਰਿ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਨਾਲਿ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ਸਹਜ ਅਨੰਦੁ ਭਇਆ ਮਨਿ ਮੋਰੈ ਗੁਰ ਆਗੈ ਆਪੁ ਵੇਚਾਇਆ ਹਮ ਅਪਰਾਧ ਪਾਪ ਬਹੁ ਕੀਨੇ ਕਰਿ ਦੁਸਟੀ ਚੋਰ ਚੁਰਾਇਆ ਅਬ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਣਾਗਤਿ ਆਏ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਖਹੁ ਲਾਜ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਇਆ ੧੧੨੫੬੩ {ਪੰਨਾ 172}
( In essence: My Guru showed me the true way and Love for The Almighty is cultivated in my heart. I sacrifice my soul and body to Guru ji because of whom I, who was separated from the Creator, have met Him. I had a longing to see HIM and Guru has shown me Him within my heart. Naturally I am filled with happiness and for that I have sacrificed myself to Guru ji.. I have sinned and have tried to hide them as a thief does but they (sins) cannot be hidden from you; I am now in your refuge My Waheguru! You like me now, please take care of me in a way that I should not fall into sins again.)

Sikhism teaches responsibility of deeds. Satguru says that effect of bad sins can be
washed away with His Nam, in other words, responsibility lies on the doers of the sins

Necessity of Guru in this procedure of falling in love with Him is stressed. Who can be the Guru? It is explained in very simple words and doubts are cleared about it.
ਗਉੜੀ ਮਾਲਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ ਸਮਝਾਵੈ ਕਰਤਾ ਹੋਇ ਜਨਾਵੈ ਰਹਾਉ
( In essence: Who can show me the path that leads to The Infinite? Only the one who is tuned to Him and has become like Him. ) Question does rise. How is it possible for a human to be like the Infinite? Answer can be found in Moolmantra, when a person totally remains in His thoughts, the enlightened one becomes fearless and beyond animosity. That is being oneness with him. That soul fills other hearts with love for Him. For that soul there is nothing in the world but Him. There is no more simple definition of Guru. In Guru Granth Sahib it is stated numerous times that only those ones realized the Almighty in the past who followed true Guru with extreme sincerity. Who can be a Guru, answer is clear and crystal in the above waak. In above definition of Guru, Satguru has left no doubt about the meaning. So falling victim to illusions shall certainly be a barrier in the way of realizing Him as per Guru Ordinance. A Sikh’s aim of life is to involve in His simran with blessings of Satguru Nanak. For Sikhs that is why Guru is immortal, Guru is leading towards Him today and will lead forever who sincerely takes his refuge. Sikhs' Guru Granth Sahib will be there to guide them for ever, no babas, sant or others are needed at all.

Satguru Nanak in his fifth form knew that some of the people who visited him, were hypocrites. Satguru very clearly states in the following Shabad how people learn about the truth but still stick to what their minds like, it is amazing to know that still today it’s applicable to many followers of Satguru Nanak in the same manner.
ਸਭੇ ਗਲਾ ਜਾਤੀਆ ਸੁਣਿ ਕੈ ਚੁਪ ਕੀਆ ਕਦ ਹੀ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਨ ਲਧੀਆ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੜਿਆ ਦੇਇ ਬੁਝਾਰਤ ਸਾਰਤਾ ਸੇ ਅਖੀ ਡਿਠੜਿਆ ਕੋਈ ਜਿ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਲੋਭੀਆ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਸੁਣੀ ਕਹਿਆ ਇਕਸੁ ਦੁਹੁ ਚਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਗਣੀ ਸਭ ਇਕਤੁ ਸਾਦਿ ਮੁਠੀ ਇਕੁ ਅਧੁ ਨਾਇ ਰਸੀਅੜਾ ਕਾ ਵਿਰਲੀ ਜਾਇ ਵੁਠੀ ਭਗਤ ਸਚੇ ਦਰਿ ਸੋਹਦੇ ਅਨਦ ਕਰਹਿ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤਿ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਤੇ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੈ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਨ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਤ ੧੬੯ {ਪੰਨਾ 217-218}
( In essence: some people learn all about the Naam but stay drowned in Maya, If some hear and understand hints about the truth about Maya and death, do not heed attention to the advice of Guru; still those greedy ones are looted by glory of Maya.. What to speak of some, the whole world is being looted by Maya except a few. There are a few who relish of being in love with Him day and night, Satguru says he scarifies to those who stay absorbed in Him.)

The most popular quote usually given to unite the people and to inspire them to live in harmony is given below. It, if printed in mind, eradicates any complex of race, colour, caste or race.

ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤੀ ਅਵਲਿ ਅਲਹ ਨੂਰੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕੇ ਸਭ ਬੰਦੇ ਏਕ ਨੂਰ ਤੇ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਕਉਨ ਭਲੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਦੇ ਲੋਗਾ ਭਰਮਿ ਨ ਭੂਲਹੁ ਭਾਈ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਖਲਕ ਖਲਕ ਮਹਿ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਸ੍ਰਬ ਠਾਂਈ ਰਹਾਉ
( In essence: It was there only His light first then he created the world. In all, His light gleams, whom will you call good or bad?. So don’t be misled by illusions. The Creator permeates in His creation all over…)

Satguru has made it clear over and over that the purpose of life here is to come over the separation we have from Him by being in love with Him through the blessings of True Guru, take world as His play and live while being awake from the brutal attacks of Maya that has its own army of primal forces settled with in us.
Take an attitude that reflects that all are under His will; it is better analyzing oneself before throwing judgments on others. Here is Saturu Nanak says.
ਨਾਨਕ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਏਕੁ ਤੂ ਅਵਰੁ ਭਲਾ ਸੈਸਾਰੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਤਨਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਊਪਜੈ ਸੇ ਤਨ ਹੋਹਿ ਖੁਆਰ {ਪੰਨਾ 1327
( In essence Nanak says since you have no love for Him, you are unwise and in frustration but the rest of the world is noble.)

The hint is towards elimination of ego. If that is gone, no conflict, no fanaticism and dominance instinct can hold us hostage.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: