• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Uneducated Comments By Sajjid Khan On A Commendable Gatka Performance At India's Got Talent Spark Co

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Uneducated Comments by Sajjid Khan on a Commendable Gatka Performance at India's Got Talent Spark Controversy:

The exit of a seven-year-old participant from the “India’s Got Talent” reality show after judge Sajid Khan commented that the martial arts dance form he performed was too violent has angered Sikh groups in Punjab.

‘Gatka’ (a traditional martial arts dance form of the Nihang sect of the Sikh religion) bodies are objecting to the ouster of Manpreet Singh of Tarn Taran from the reality show that runs on Colours TV and debarred him from demonstrating the routine.

Sajid Khan had commented, after Manpreet’s performance, that the ‘Gatka’ performed during the show was too violent.

The Gatka Federation of India (GFI) and Punjab Gatka Association (PGA), recognized by the Punjab Olympic Association, have urged the Akal Takht head (Jathedar) Gurbachan Singh to take strict action against the television channel.

<object height="385" width="480"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzgtiXUb7qs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

In a statement, GFI general secretary H.S Grewal and PGA joint secretary Jagmohanjit Singh said that Sajid Khan’s reaction on the TV show had hurt the sentiments of Sikhs and Gatka sports persons by terming it violent for his age.

They added that Gatka, a traditional martial art of self-defense, was introduced in India around 4,000 years ago by the Aryans and is the mother of all martial arts.

Grewal said that even the Punjab Olympic Association had recognized Gatka and the education department in Punjab has also incorporated Gatka game in Punjab schools, colleges and universities sports calendars.

The GFI and PGA have sought an unconditional apology from the channel and its judge.

Even the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) has objected to the comments of the TV show judge.

Attachments

• gatka-performance.jpg
    gatka-performance.jpg
    57.3 KB · Reads: 337
Last edited:

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
Re: Uneducated Comments by Sajjid Khan on a Great Gatka Performence at India's Got Talent Sparks Controversy

The judges should be proud that I 5 year old has taken up such a discipline instead of playing at home with his action hero figures. I started martial arts at the age of 10 which was Tae Kwon Do and it does teach discipline and Gatka would have done the same for the little boy Singh!

The second woman judge who appears Sikh is right that there is nothing wrong with knowing how to defend yourself..... I think the Moghul judge was looking for a art display with people just hoping around making noises which is of no use in the real world.

In fact swords have been replaced by guns, so may be the next act should include AK-47's (joke!) :firing:

a.mother

SPNer
Jun 12, 2010
Canada
Re: Uneducated Comments by Sajjid Khan on a Great Gatka Performence at India's Got Talent Sparks Controversy

I am shocked by the comments , Mr. Sajid ji, which world are you live in? Have you or your family kids not watch the indian movies ? Didn't you see the rape seen or only few inches clothing on the actresses body ? How you miss the violence in the showes and movies.
I am proud of Sardar kamaljit Singh ji who is well trained his junior and he was so calm even after get the comment. Why he forget that they are not killing someone just showing there art.( and also remember as kiran ji mean there is such a no person who has no right to self diffence).

Sep 27, 2008
England

SSA.
In my opinion i think that was a super awesome display. That judge needs a little educating about Sikhism. Is he even aware how old Guru Gobind Singh Ji's 2 little boys were when they were bricked alive ?. Good comment by the other judge it is for defence only. I am pleased to see the Gatka live & Kicking. swordfight

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

I cannot remember a time when I could not handle a kirpan appropriate to my size, at least minimally. Likewise my son was taught to defend himself from earliest childhood. (Although he never had a nihung on a string.)

I was quite angry when I saw the confused-looking little boy exit the stage. How dare that creepy creep embarrass and humiliate a young child - and a very talented young child at that. I wonder if he was remembering the days when Sikh men, women and children fought his ancestors? Still, however frightened of the child he might have been, he had no business treating him like that. swordfight

There is a facebook page dedicated to giving the whatfor to Sajid Khan. I usually don't advocate pages containing the word "hate," but here I make an exception. This guy insulted a Sikh child! http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Hate-Sajid-Khan/137310379642865

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Sajjid is a timid joker and a tame replacement for Shekhar Kapoor, the original judge... had it been Shekhar, he would be crying out with that overflow of emotions that i felt when i saw the glorious history of Sikhism depicted in a bold and fearless fashion in matter of a few seconds... and i felt so proud when Mrs. Kher decried the Sikh Jaikara, Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal...

animatedkhanda

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
I was quite angry when I saw the confused-looking little boy exit the stage.
He didn't; he came down to the judges to give them the Nihang statue asa gift.

...and I don't think opinionated people should have hate messages posted about them all over facebook. No one should be penalized for their ignorance.

Imagine how the first impression of Sikhs on him will be of hateful messages and angry faces on facebook. To someone who knows little about Sikhs, it will only strengthen their belief.

Anyways,
He made a comment that a 5 year old should not be playing with swords (especially on TV). This, I think, is worthy of discussion.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010

...and I don't think opinionated people should have hate messages posted about them all over facebook. No one should be penalized for their ignorance.

Imagine how the first impression of Sikhs on him will be of hateful messages and angry faces on facebook. To someone who knows little about Sikhs, it will only strengthen their belief.

Anyways,
He made a comment that a 5 year old should not be playing with swords (especially on TV). This, I think, is worthy of discussion.

Ban this film then, its aimed at children:

YouTube- Watch the Official THE KARATE KID Trailer in HD

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
It has been suggested to me that Sajjid Khan was paid to disrespect I do not know. Sikhs on the show. Who knows?

I didn't realise this. My bad. However, my point remains that the child was embarrssed and humiliated while standing on the stage listening to this fool talking about how he shouldn't be there. It was unnecessarily unkind. kaurhug

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Irked at the remarks of a judge of a programme, “India Gate Talent”, on Colours TV channel, the SGPC has asked the management of the channel to tender an unconditional apology to the Sikh body and remove the judge Sajid Khan.

Sajid Khan, according to the SGPC chief Avtar Singh, had hurt the sentiments of the Sikhs by his utterances against “Gatka”, the Sikh martial art and the Sikh tradition of carrying arms like swords.

He had also allegedly ousted Manpreet Singh, a 7-year-old Sikh “Gatka” artiste, saying that the display of swords and other weapons linked with the Sikh tradition by Sikh children could instill a sense of violence among children and audience of the programme.

“Gatka is an inseparable part of the Sikism. Nobody can afford to satirise about any of Sikh tradition. Gatka is also a symbol of Sikh spirit and its victory over evil. The management of the channel should tender an apology or face legal action as its programme sought to create a division in the society. The sword is part and parcel of daily life of every Amritdhari Sikh. How can a Sikh even think of living witout it,” said Avtar Singh.

He asked the channel management to remove the programme judge and provide the SGPC with details of the programme.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Irked at the remarks of a judge of a programme, “India Gate Talent”, on Colours TV channel, the SGPC has asked the management of the channel to tender an unconditional apology to the Sikh body and remove the judge Sajid Khan.

Sajid Khan, according to the SGPC chief Avtar Singh, had hurt the sentiments of the Sikhs by his utterances against “Gatka”, the Sikh martial art and the Sikh tradition of carrying arms like swords.

He had also allegedly ousted Manpreet Singh, a 7-year-old Sikh “Gatka” artiste, saying that the display of swords and other weapons linked with the Sikh tradition by Sikh children could instill a sense of violence among children and audience of the programme.

“Gatka is an inseparable part of the Sikism. Nobody can afford to satirise about any of Sikh tradition. Gatka is also a symbol of Sikh spirit and its victory over evil. The management of the channel should tender an apology or face legal action as its programme sought to create a division in the society. The sword is part and parcel of daily life of every Amritdhari Sikh. How can a Sikh even think of living witout it,” said Avtar Singh.

He asked the channel management to remove the programme judge and provide the SGPC with details of the programme.

Did I read this correctly? :shockedkudi: Is this possible? :shockedkudi:

Did I misread this? :shockedkudi: Did the SGPC actually do something I wholeheartedly agree with? :shockedkudi:

Well, I'm be! icecreamkudi

Last edited:

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
I thought that this stuff only happens in Western countries when they do not no much about Sikhism, but this has happened in India.... :confusedmunda:

A note to Sajid Khan.... so you say 5 years should not be holding swords and stuff..... so what exactly do you think some amritdari born children wear from birth (even though it might be a very small or symbolic one)? Amritdaari SIkhs wear a sword all the time did you not know?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
I thought that this stuff only happens in Western countries when they do not no much about Sikhism, but this has happened in India.... :confusedmunda:

A note to Sajid Khan.... so you say 5 years should not be holding swords and stuff..... so what exactly do you think some amritdari born children wear from birth (even though it might be a very small or symbolic one)? Amritdaari SIkhs wear a sword all the time did you not know?

Do you really think Indians have knowledge of Sikhism? For majority of Indians we are nothing more than hardcore Punjabi's an extended branch of Punjabi Hindu's

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM