• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Uneducated Comments By Sajjid Khan On A Commendable Gatka Performance At India's Got Talent Spark Co

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
Well they have a priminster that is Sikh.... Golden temple, few hundred years of history...... maybe in South India they might not be that aware... I dunno...... so as you are pointing out that it appears to be a problem of identity in our own back yard - what to do?

Sat Sri Akal ,

Well what to do with such an identity problem in own house / back yard ???
So many people are seeing those kind of shows , why not to use such shows as
educational material for the whole nation . As the whole troubles have been ( maybe not intentionally ) caused by them. Every show could give 10min of own time to teach people about different cultures and traditions of people which are living in India from South to North , from West to East . A New educational show could also be created , financially supported by the amusement shows and government. My suggestion sounds maybe like an utopia but Where Do We Live Or Are From ??? Its Incredible India, where everything is possible.... swordfight

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Well they have a priminster that is Sikh.... Golden temple, few hundred years of history...... maybe in South India they might not be that aware... I dunno...... so as you are pointing out that it appears to be a problem of identity in our own back yard - what to do?

So What Our PM Is of non political background.He has never won any election
He was Pmship By Sonia Gandhi .Also People of India are not much interested in knowing Each Other's culture or religion.For example in Delhi ,Mumbai and Hindi speaking area's All south Indians are called madrasi's means the people that came from madras which was the the earlier name of Tamil Nadu's capital.It is because they were First migrants from South India to North .

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

And America now has an African American President. Does that mean that the days of discrimination against African Americans is past? If you think that is the case, ask any African American. It says only that the situation is not as bad as it once was.

Or did the Prime Ministership of indira gandhi signal the equality of women in Indian society?

In both these cases, I am talking about attitude and behaviour, not laws.

One highest government official story does not necessarily the whole society reflect.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
And America now has an African American President. Does that mean that the days of discrimination against African Americans is past? If you think that is the case, ask any African American. It says only that the situation is not as bad as it once was.

Or did the Prime Ministership of indira gandhi signal the equality of women in Indian society?

In both these cases, I am talking about attitude and behaviour, not laws.

One highest government official story does not necessarily the whole society reflect.

Well maybe we just have to wait a hundred years until the Sikh population has grown a bit bigger to make a bigger impact <?>

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Well maybe we just have to wait a hundred years until the Sikh population has grown a bit bigger to make a bigger impact <?>

LOL the way Hindu and muslim population is increasing One cannot say the future is bright if we take the percentage of numbers

roab1

SPNer
Jun 30, 2009
Sajid Khan is a fool. I dont know why he was so ****** off. Maybe being a Muslim himself the display of 'violence' brought the images of small 5 yr old Muslim Suicide bombers in front of his head. Every Muslim is paranoid in present times. Cant help it.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Almost every sikh site and blog is discussing this issue and cursing sajid Khan.One don't even know that it was pre planned or it was his original comments.I must say that sikhs are becoming too sensitive

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Almost every sikh site and blog is discussing this issue and cursing sajid Khan.One don't even know that it was pre planned or it was his original comments.I must say that sikhs are becoming too sensitive

I have mixed feelings about this. You are right in that we have become oversensitive. Maybe there is a good reason for this. There is something to be said for confronting these small insults and not emboldening others to bigger and bigger slights which may actually become murderous.

It is by the same principle that I generally don't put up with sardar "jokes." A small insult here, a little slight there, it adds up. People rarely attack people they have treated with respect.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010

Yeah but Sajid did not even say anything good to the little Singh, like I applaud you for being a part of such a grown up performance but I got really scared when you were in the middle of all the wielding swords that you might have got hurt. So teacher can we please do the next act without such young martialartists?

That would have sounded better and the little Singh would have felt good..... even though I saw little Singh do a Bolhe SOne hal in a different youtube clip, so he is a brave little singh swordfight

Any way Sajid's reasoning is flawed because even if we get rid of the little Singh then you still have all the other Singh clashing with swords so he should have said that the entire group represented violence and that he did not wish all of them to come back rather than pick on little Singh!

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
If Sajid feels that It is not right that a 5 year old should have sword in his hand then it may be its personal view.Many educated liberals all over the world may share the same view .But my question is is it right that entire sikh community on internet is discussing what happened on petty TV show that could be pre fabricated like Tv serial .I don't agree what sajid said but on the other hand if sikhs feel that no should say anything about gatka or their sacred martial art then they should not go into these type of petty shows.

Rupinder.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Mar 11, 2009
Brisbane Australia
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh,

First of all, It was a great performance by Singhs, and secondly I am happy the way Mr. Singh answered Judges's questions being Calm and content. Thirdly, the approach taken by Mrs. Kher was appreciable. I dont know who was the third judge, but she also remained calm altogether.

Regarding, Mr. Sajid's comments, We should be aware, as highlighted by Kanwardeep Singh ji, that this was a TV show, everything is planned, scripted and well thought before it goes live just like a speech of any leader. So everything that is uttered is still pre-planned despite being live.

I have watched, "Australia's got talent", one of the judges there is also upfront, and big mouthed. But this is actually considered as his talent/skill by promoters of the show. Another effective way to attract viewers to the show.

What I saw in the show, Mr. Sajjid was imitating that Judge, but I feel sorry for Sajjid that he was to imitate someone, and was not behaving truly himself.

I totally agree with "Kanwardeep Singh ji's thought that we are growing too sensitive. May GOD bless us with more awareness.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib ਪੰਨਾ 1084, ਸਤਰ 9
ਨਾਪਾਕ ਪਾਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹਦੀਸਾ ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਿਰਾ ॥੧੨॥
नापाक पाकु करि हदूरि हदीसा साबत सूरति दसतार सिरा ॥१२॥
Nāpāk pāk kar haḏūr haḏīsā sābaṯ sūraṯ ḏasṯār sirā. ||12||
Purify what is impure, and let the Lord's Presence be your religious tradition. Let your total awareness be the turban on your head. ||12||

Opinion:

The point raised by Mr. Sajjid was right that we should not promote violence in kids, I totally stand by that opinion.

But, If we notice the behavior of Mr. Sajid, he was himself behaving violent in front of all viewers, I am surprised, how he was not able to control his own violent behavior. if he is so concerned about violence in the society.

Secondly, what we see is what we are willing to see. Mr. Sajid was willing to see violence in Gatka, he saw it as violence. He forgot that it is a talent show and performers were actually showing off their talent. Talent comes through practice. I bet Mr. Sajid wont even be able to swing the sword like that kid in the show.

I am wondering if he would label "Rifle Shooting sport" as violence or talent.

Thirdly, How can he prove that kids only follow kids, and dont follow adults ?

I am also wondering if he has ever been to a Toy Shop, he would find many pistol replicas, sword replicas, etc etc. And what does those replicas look like? these look similar to the ones used by an adult hero in certain movie. I would like to know if Mr. Sajid has been doing any positive effort against manufacturing those replicas to stop promoting violence in kids.

In the end , I would only say that promoters' script of the show was not well thought. They failed coz they tried to mix talent with violence and could not address all aspects of the situation well. The judge failed to display contentment and knowledge of the subject, and failed to display skills to handle contradictory opinions.

Obviously, we don't want our kids to follow Mr. Sajid on handling such situations. May God bless him to be truly himself.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Rupinder Singh
mundahug

PS: Mai ji, do we need to reconsider :firing:, does it promote violence in kids ?
:akidd:

a.mother

SPNer
Jun 12, 2010
Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh,

First of all, It was a great performance by Singhs, and secondly I am happy the way Mr. Singh answered Judges's questions being Calm and content. Thirdly, the approach taken by Mrs. Kher was appreciable. I dont know who was the third judge, but she also remained calm altogether.

Regarding, Mr. Sajid's comments, We should be aware, as highlighted by Kanwardeep Singh ji, that this was a TV show, everything is planned, scripted and well thought before it goes live just like a speech of any leader. So everything that is uttered is still pre-planned despite being live.

I have watched, "Australia's got talent", one of the judges there is also upfront, and big mouthed. But this is actually considered as his talent/skill by promoters of the show. Another effective way to attract viewers to the show.

What I saw in the show, Mr. Sajjid was imitating that Judge, but I feel sorry for Sajjid that he was to imitate someone, and was not behaving truly himself.

I totally agree with "Kanwardeep Singh ji's thought that we are growing too sensitive. May GOD bless us with more awareness.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib ਪੰਨਾ 1084, ਸਤਰ 9
ਨਾਪਾਕ ਪਾਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹਦੀਸਾ ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਿਰਾ ॥੧੨॥
नापाक पाकु करि हदूरि हदीसा साबत सूरति दसतार सिरा ॥१२॥
Nāpāk pāk kar haḏūr haḏīsā sābaṯ sūraṯ ḏasṯār sirā. ||12||
Purify what is impure, and let the Lord's Presence be your religious tradition. Let your total awareness be the turban on your head. ||12||

Opinion:

The point raised by Mr. Sajjid was right that we should not promote violence in kids, I totally stand by that opinion.

But, If we notice the behavior of Mr. Sajid, he was himself behaving violent in front of all viewers, I am surprised, how he was not able to control his own violent behavior. if he is so concerned about violence in the society.

Secondly, what we see is what we are willing to see. Mr. Sajid was willing to see violence in Gatka, he saw it as violence. He forgot that it is a talent show and performers were actually showing off their talent. Talent comes through practice. I bet Mr. Sajid wont even be able to swing the sword like that kid in the show.

I am wondering if he would label "Rifle Shooting sport" as violence or talent.

Thirdly, How can he prove that kids only follow kids, and dont follow adults ?

I am also wondering if he has ever been to a Toy Shop, he would find many pistol replicas, sword replicas, etc etc. And what does those replicas look like? these look similar to the ones used by an adult hero in certain movie. I would like to know if Mr. Sajid has been doing any positive effort against manufacturing those replicas to stop promoting violence in kids.

In the end , I would only say that promoters' script of the show was not well thought. They failed coz they tried to mix talent with violence and could not address all aspects of the situation well. The judge failed to display contentment and knowledge of the subject, and failed to display skills to handle contradictory opinions.

Obviously, we don't want our kids to follow Mr. Sajid on handling such situations. May God bless him to be truly himself.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Rupinder Singh
mundahug

PS: Mai ji, do we need to reconsider :firing:, does it promote violence in kids ?
:akidd:

It was a great performance by Singhs, and secondly I am happy the way Mr. Singh answered Judges's questions being Calm and content.
You are right ,I just missed it to say .Now days this is praisable to behave like this .

Feb 23, 2008
Sajjid Khan has done it intentionally because he is a muslim & he fears that if this little boy can perform so well then the other Sikh boys & girls will be motivated to do so better.
As a Muslim he can not tolerate such thing & hence he has acted with a bias

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
SS AKAL JI..

It is a matter of big shame that TV SHOE LIKE THAT select such judges like Sajid Khan’s especially when they new it that there will be Gatka on Agenda by Sikhs to perform on the stage must have known the knowledge about Gatka and associated Sikh history when this martial art was practically used to defend them selves against Mughals tyrannized system..

During Mugals Raj and all their atrocities and inhuman cruel ways to turn all HINDUS to Islam then all Sikhs regardless of age participated to defend the land we live in today.

That is clear cut display of undermining the Sikhs sacrifices to defend all races during Mugal Raj who were bent upon converting all Hindus and other to Islam.

The brave Guru Gobind Singh created a Khalsa to defend all natives of India by sacrificing all his family and other regardless of any age from childhood to grown up ages.

Gatka was one of the martial art which was commonly used for defense against cruel hands of Mugals.

Compare just for instance of 160 millions of people living in Pakistan converted to Islam from Hindus and others .

If the crucial Sikh sacrifices and birth of khalsa was not existed ,we as a whole nation what is called India today would have been converted to Islam.

"History without heroes is a history without future"

Sajan Khan have to go through learning of full knowledge of Gatka performances
and Sikh history and learn to appreciate a special talent when five years old kid can develop such a discipline to perform such a performances on world stage.

Just to remind Mummhmed Gaznvai made 17 attacks on Somnath Mandir because of non-violence attitude without any defense.Imagine if that ere the case in Punjab.

Guru Gobindh Singh's means very well..

"When all modes of readdressing the evil is exhausted,to take a sword for defense one self is a pious cause."

That is exactly that little kid shown a miracle to learn to defend himself at age of 5 years . His performances with such a daring stamina is one of its kinds where some children at that age can not wipe their noses.

That is why Sikhs are called martial race.

Jaspi

Aug 6, 2006
SSA,
There is no doubt that sajjid khan's comments has hurt feelings of all sikhs. There are many other forms of dance which have violent nature and where swords and other weapons are used as props. Why no judgesever comment on those forms. What about Rudhra-tandav. Comments by Sajjid are unacceptable.
But these are just his views and his views are not any judgment or decision on our art form. His comments may be product of ignorance or an inetntional one. I think we must watch that what are his reactions now (after all the sikhs raising voice against his comments). His latest reaction will give us a clue about his intensions or ignorace.
We all have done our duty by expressing our objections, now lets wait a little to see his response. Then we can react accordingly.
Roopsidhu

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
SSA,
There is no doubt that sajjid khan's comments has hurt feelings of all sikhs. There are many other forms of dance which have violent nature and where swords and other weapons are used as props. Why no judgesever comment on those forms. What about Rudhra-tandav. Comments by Sajjid are unacceptable.
But these are just his views and his views are not any judgment or decision on our art form. His comments may be product of ignorance or an inetntional one. I think we must watch that what are his reactions now (after all the sikhs raising voice against his comments). His latest reaction will give us a clue about his intensions or ignorace.
We all have done our duty by expressing our objections, now lets wait a little to see his response. Then we can react accordingly.
Roopsidhu

It would be most helpful if our SPN members in India will let us all know when the next installment of this TV show is on. Also, it would be great if they would watch it and report back to us in the diaspora.

Feb 23, 2008
It would be most helpful if our SPN members in India will let us all know when the next installment of this TV show is on. Also, it would be great if they would watch it and report back to us in the diaspora.

The next episode is due on Friday & Saturday at 9 PM (IST).

If you would please elaborate as to what is to be reported we will be happy to inform you.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
The next episode is due on Friday & Saturday at 9 PM (IST).

If you would please elaborate as to what is to be reported we will be happy to inform you.

Ravinder Pal Singh ji,

I'd like to know if Sajjid Khan is there, and if he is, does he say anything about last week's fiasco and, if so, what?

If he isn't there, is anything said at all about last week's Sikhs.

In short, any reference to this debacle. If nothing is said, that is also noteworthy.

Thanks very much!

icecreamkaur

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM