• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK UK's Longest Serving Sikh Officer To Retire

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
UK's longest serving Sikh officer to retire
LONDON: Britain's longest serving NRI Sikh officer and detective constable Harinder Singh Sangha will retire this month after 35 years of police service.

Harinder, popularly known as €˜Hari€™, was born in Jalandhar district and was educated in Slough, Berkshire.

Harinder whose family moved to England in 1961, joined the Thames Valley Police as a police cadet on October 13, 1975, and subsequently joined the regular service. He was the first Asian to join the Thames Valley Police. In 1982 he joined the CID department.

As a detective constable, he served on the drugs, fraud, intelligence and surveillance squads. As a member of the TVP Black Police Association, he helped implement several of the recommendations from the Stephen Lawrence inquiry. In 2000, as part of the EXPO-2000, World Fair held in Hanover, Germany, he served with the German police for six months.

In December, 2002, he joined the Metropolitan Police Service’s elite SO13 squad. His job in the anti-terrorist branch meant that he had to travel to several countries, including Pakistan, Egypt, South Africa, Holland and the USA.

In 2002, Harinder received a commendation from the German government for his work in a complex kidnapping investigation. Harinder, whose hobbies include cricket, football, hockey and travelling, said: €œAfter 35 years, I need to retire. I have enjoyed my service, there were a few difficulties with a few individuals who could not accept Asian officers but in the main I have worked hard and am a role model for many in the Asian community.

http://punjabnewsline.com/content/uks-longest-serving-sikh-officer-retire/25157

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM