• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Two Paths

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
Gurfateh to all. The SGGSJ app that I've been using allows for the user to take a Hukamnama and a few days ago I received this from Ang 688. This shabad starts down the page a bit and i was hoping for some insight regarding a few phrases. I'll let you read it before I ask my questions.

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ
धनासरी महला १ ॥
Ḏẖanāsrī mėhlā 1.
Dhanaasaree, First Mehl:

ਜੀਵਾ ਤੇਰੈ ਨਾਇ ਮਨਿ ਆਨੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਜੀਉ
जीवा तेरै नाइ मनि आनंदु है जीउ ॥
Jīvā ṯerai nā▫e man ānanḏ hai jī▫o.
I live by Your Name; my mind is in ecstasy, Lord.

ਸਾਚੋ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ ਗੁਣ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਜੀਉ
साचो साचा नाउ गुण गोविंदु है जीउ ॥
Sācẖo sācẖā nā▫o guṇ govinḏ hai jī▫o.
True is the Name of the True Lord. Glorious are the Praises of the Lord of the Universe.

ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਅਪਾਰਾ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਸਿਰਜੀ ਤਿਨਿ ਗੋਈ
गुर गिआनु अपारा सिरजणहारा जिनि सिरजी तिनि गोई ॥
Gur gi▫ān apārā sirjaṇhārā jin sirjī ṯin go▫ī.
Infinite is the spiritual wisdom imparted by the Guru. The Creator Lord who created, shall also destroy.

ਪਰਵਾਣਾ ਆਇਆ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਪਠਾਇਆ ਫੇਰਿ ਸਕੈ ਕੋਈ
परवाणा आइआ हुकमि पठाइआ फेरि न सकै कोई ॥
Parvāṇā ā▫i▫ā hukam paṯẖā▫i▫ā fer na sakai ko▫ī.
The call of death is sent out by the Lord's Command; no one can challenge it.

ਆਪੇ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਸਿਰਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਲੇਖੈ ਆਪੇ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਬੁਝਾਈ
आपे करि वेखै सिरि सिरि लेखै आपे सुरति बुझाई ॥
Āpe kar vekẖai sir sir lekẖai āpe suraṯ bujẖā▫ī.
He Himself creates, and watches; His written command is above each and every head. He Himself imparts understanding and awareness.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਅਗਮ ਅਗੋਚਰੁ ਜੀਵਾ ਸਚੀ ਨਾਈ ॥੧॥
नानक साहिबु अगम अगोचरु जीवा सची नाई ॥१॥
Nānak sāhib agam agocẖar jīvā sacẖī nā▫ī. ||1||
O Nanak, the Lord Master is inaccessible and unfathomable; I live by His True Name. ||1||

ਤੁਮ ਸਰਿ ਅਵਰੁ ਕੋਇ ਆਇਆ ਜਾਇਸੀ ਜੀਉ
तुम सरि अवरु न कोइ आइआ जाइसी जीउ ॥
Ŧum sar avar na ko▫e ā▫i▫ā jā▫isī jī▫o.
No one can compare to You, Lord; all come and go.

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਇ ਨਿਬੇੜੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਇਸੀ ਜੀਉ
हुकमी होइ निबेड़ु भरमु चुकाइसी जीउ ॥
Hukmī ho▫e nibeṛ bẖaram cẖukā▫isī jī▫o.
By Your Command, the account is settled, and doubt is dispelled.

ਗੁਰੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਏ ਅਕਥੁ ਕਹਾਏ ਸਚ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਚੁ ਸਮਾਣਾ
गुरु भरमु चुकाए अकथु कहाए सच महि साचु समाणा ॥
Gur bẖaram cẖukā▫e akath kahā▫e sacẖ mėh sācẖ samāṇā.
The Guru dispels doubt, and makes us speak the Unspoken Speech; the true ones are absorbed into Truth.

ਆਪਿ ਉਪਾਏ ਆਪਿ ਸਮਾਏ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣਾ
आपि उपाए आपि समाए हुकमी हुकमु पछाणा ॥
Āp upā▫e āp samā▫e hukmī hukam pacẖẖāṇā.
He Himself creates, and He Himself destroys; I accept the Command of the Commander Lord.

ਸਚੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਪਾਈ ਤੂ ਮਨਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਸਖਾਈ
सची वडिआई गुर ते पाई तू मनि अंति सखाई ॥
Sacẖī vadi▫ā▫ī gur ṯe pā▫ī ṯū man anṯ sakẖā▫ī.
True greatness comes from the Guru; You alone are the mind's companion in the end.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਅਵਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਮਿ ਤੇਰੈ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥੨॥
नानक साहिबु अवरु न दूजा नामि तेरै वडिआई ॥२॥
Nānak sāhib avar na ḏūjā nām ṯerai vadi▫ā▫ī. ||2||
O Nanak, there is no other than the Lord and Master; greatness comes from Your Name. ||2||

ਤੂ ਸਚਾ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰੁ ਅਲਖ ਸਿਰੰਦਿਆ ਜੀਉ
तू सचा सिरजणहारु अलख सिरंदिआ जीउ ॥
Ŧū sacẖā sirjaṇhār alakẖ siranḏi▫ā jī▫o.
You are the True Creator Lord, the unknowable Maker.

ਏਕੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਵਾਦ ਵਧੰਦਿਆ ਜੀਉ
एकु साहिबु दुइ राह वाद वधंदिआ जीउ ॥
Ėk sāhib ḏu▫e rāh vāḏ vaḏẖanḏi▫ā jī▫o.
There is only the One Lord and Master, but there are two paths, by which conflict increases.

ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਚਲਾਏ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਬਾਏ ਜਨਮਿ ਮੁਆ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ
दुइ राह चलाए हुकमि सबाए जनमि मुआ संसारा ॥
Ḏu▫e rāh cẖalā▫e hukam sabā▫e janam mu▫ā sansārā.
All follow these two paths, by the Hukam of the Lord's Command; the world is born, only to die.

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋ ਬੇਲੀ ਬਿਖੁ ਲਾਦੀ ਸਿਰਿ ਭਾਰਾ
नाम बिना नाही को बेली बिखु लादी सिरि भारा ॥
Nām binā nāhī ko belī bikẖ lāḏī sir bẖārā.
Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the mortal has no friend at all; he carries loads of sin on his head.

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਆਇਆ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਬੂਝੈ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਵਾਰਣਹਾਰਾ
हुकमी आइआ हुकमु न बूझै हुकमि सवारणहारा ॥
Hukmī ā▫i▫ā hukam na būjẖai hukam savāraṇhārā.
By the Hukam of the Lord's Command, he comes, but he does not understand this Hukam; the Lord's Hukam is the Embellisher.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਿਞਾਪੈ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰਾ ॥੩॥
नानक साहिबु सबदि सिञापै साचा सिरजणहारा ॥३॥
Nānak sāhib sabaḏ siñāpai sācẖā sirjaṇhārā. ||3||
O Nanak, through the Shabad, the Word of the Lord and Master, the True Creator Lord is realized. ||3||

ਭਗਤ ਸੋਹਹਿ ਦਰਵਾਰਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਹਾਇਆ ਜੀਉ
भगत सोहहि दरवारि सबदि सुहाइआ जीउ ॥
Bẖagaṯ sohėh ḏarvār sabaḏ suhā▫i▫ā jī▫o.
Your devotees look beautiful in Your Court, embellished with the Shabad.

ਬੋਲਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣਿ ਰਸਨ ਰਸਾਇਆ ਜੀਉ
बोलहि अम्रित बाणि रसन रसाइआ जीउ ॥
Bolėh amriṯ bāṇ rasan rasā▫i▫ā jī▫o.
They chant the Ambrosial Word of His Bani, savoring it with their tongues.

ਰਸਨ ਰਸਾਏ ਨਾਮਿ ਤਿਸਾਏ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਵਿਕਾਣੇ
रसन रसाए नामि तिसाए गुर कै सबदि विकाणे ॥
Rasan rasā▫e nām ṯisā▫e gur kai sabaḏ vikāṇe.
Savoring it with their tongues, they thirst for the Naam; they are a sacrifice to the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

ਪਾਰਸਿ ਪਰਸਿਐ ਪਾਰਸੁ ਹੋਏ ਜਾ ਤੇਰੈ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਣੇ
पारसि परसिऐ पारसु होए जा तेरै मनि भाणे ॥
Pāras parsi▫ai pāras ho▫e jā ṯerai man bẖāṇe.
Touching the philosopher's stone, they become the philosopher's stone, which transforms lead into gold; O Lord, they become pleasing to your mind.

ਅਮਰਾ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਗਿਆਨ ਵੀਚਾਰੀ
अमरा पदु पाइआ आपु गवाइआ विरला गिआन वीचारी ॥
Amrā paḏ pā▫i▫ā āp gavā▫i▫ā virlā gi▫ān vīcẖārī.
They attain the immortal status and eradicate their self-conceit; how rare is that person, who contemplates spiritual wisdom.

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤ ਸੋਹਨਿ ਦਰਿ ਸਾਚੈ ਸਾਚੇ ਕੇ ਵਾਪਾਰੀ ॥੪॥
नानक भगत सोहनि दरि साचै साचे के वापारी ॥४॥
Nānak bẖagaṯ sohan ḏar sācẖai sācẖe ke vāpārī. ||4||
O Nanak, the devotees look beautiful in the Court of the True Lord; they are dealers in the Truth. ||4||

ਭੂਖ ਪਿਆਸੋ ਆਥਿ ਕਿਉ ਦਰਿ ਜਾਇਸਾ ਜੀਉ
भूख पिआसो आथि किउ दरि जाइसा जीउ ॥
Bẖūkẖ pi▫āso āth ki▫o ḏar jā▫isā jī▫o.
I am hungry and thirsty for wealth; how will I be able to go to the Lord's Court?

Continued on Ang 689...

(copy/paste problem with Gurmukhi here, apologies )
Saṯgur pūcẖẖa▫o jā▫e nām ḏẖi▫ā▫isā jī▫o.
I shall go and ask the True Guru, and meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈ ਸਾਚੁ ਚਵਾਈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਚੁ ਪਛਾਣਾ
सचु नामु धिआई साचु चवाई गुरमुखि साचु पछाणा ॥
Sacẖ nām ḏẖi▫ā▫ī sācẖ cẖavā▫ī gurmukẖ sācẖ pacẖẖāṇā.
I meditate on the True Name, chant the True Name, and as Gurmukh, I realize the True Name.

ਦੀਨਾ ਨਾਥੁ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣਾ
दीना नाथु दइआलु निरंजनु अनदिनु नामु वखाणा ॥
Ḏīnā nāth ḏa▫i▫āl niranjan an▫ḏin nām vakẖāṇā.
Night and day, I chant the Name of the merciful, immaculate Lord, the Master of the poor.

ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਰ ਧੁਰਹੁ ਫੁਰਮਾਈ ਆਪਿ ਮੁਆ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰੀ
करणी कार धुरहु फुरमाई आपि मुआ मनु मारी ॥
Karṇī kār ḏẖarahu furmā▫ī āp mu▫ā man mārī.
The Primal Lord has ordained the tasks to be done; self-conceit is overcome, and the mind is subdued.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਹਾ ਰਸੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਨਾਮਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੀ ॥੫॥੨॥
नानक नामु महा रसु मीठा त्रिसना नामि निवारी ॥५॥२॥
Nānak nām mahā ras mīṯẖā ṯarisnā nām nivārī. ||5||2||
O Nanak, the Naam is the sweetest essence; through the Naam, thirst and desire are stilled. ||5||2||

So, first off, I cannot identify the rahao verse which would normally clue one in to the focus of the message. If there is another way of identifying the core meaning of a shabad i would appreciate you dropping that knowledge on me.

Now to my actual inquiry: In your understanding, what is meant by the phrase "two paths"? Manmukh and gurmukh? The mention that all follow these two paths indicates to me that this is what is meant. There is also mention of the "mortal" that does not have the Naam and the "immortal" who thirst for it and chant bani. The mention that by the Divine Hukam the world is born only to die and that the mortal doesn't understand the Hukam indicates to me that since no one can earn the Naam, that it is a gift from the Creator not given to all, that the manmukh/mortal who does not receive the Naam is born only to die. Is this why Sikhs do not proselytize? Because one is either given this gift or they are not? This would definitely be difficult to explain and would absolutely increase conflict as mentioned in the bani.

I'm also curious about the term translated to English as "the Embellisher" and how this term would apply to those who do not understand the Hukam mentioned previously.

My understanding is limited and I do not proclaim my interpretation to be definitive. Please share your thoughts.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Fantastic questions! My understanding is limited too, so I can only give you my musings.

1. In absence of a rahao verse, what is the focus-clue? I don't know!

2. Meaning of "two paths"? Bhai Manmohan Singh's translation offers 'spiritualism and materialism' as being the two paths. In the shabad I'm getting hints of the Oneness of God (of course), but then some pairs; creation/destruction, life/death, wisdom/doubt, those with spiritual knowledge, those without. The last stanza seems to b saying "I am here in the world, now how to find God?" I wonder if being caught between Maya and Naam are the paths? I mean, we are here in Maya, but if we see through it we find Naam, but it's hard to stay focused (cause of strife?). For me, anyway.

3. Naam being a gift / Not all receive it? Yes, Gur Parsaad. Known by the Guru's grace. I understand this as 'unfortunately the penny doesn't drop for everybody'. Not everyone can or wants to listen and learn from the Guru within. Does this require active interference (grace/blessing) on God's part? I don't know. I also don't know why Sikhs don't proselytize. I kind of think they ought to be. Guru Nanak roamed around singing God's praises and teaching people. Why are Sikhs predisposed to keeping it to themselves these days?

4. Meaning of "Embellisher"? No idea!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
@RicktheSikh ji,

Thanks for the interesting thread. Allow me to untangle some of it through my own understanding. Others may have different views, which is fine because disagreements are part and parcel of the learning process in Sikhi.
Ishna ji, I am taking liberty and copying your bold titles. Thanks.

1. In absence of a rahao verse, what is the focus-clue?
Not all Shabads have rahao especially the ones that expand on one idea from different angles, the case in point of your lovely Shabad choice. Here Guru Sahib is giving us a strung necklace and explaining each pearl in it. In this particular Shabad, the first two lines are the end and the rest of the Shabad is the means- the modus operandi and understanding of Ik Ong Kaar.
ਜੀਵਾ ਤੇਰੈ ਨਾਇ ਮਨਿ ਆਨੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਜੀਉ
जीवा तेरै नाइ मनि आनंदु है जीउ ॥
Jīvā ṯerai nā▫e man ānanḏ hai jī▫o.
I live by Your Name; my mind is in ecstasy, Lord.

ਸਾਚੋ ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਉ ਗੁਣ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਜੀਉ
साचो साचा नाउ गुण गोविंदु है जीउ ॥
Sācẖo sācẖā nā▫o guṇ govinḏ hai jī▫o.
True is the Name of the True Lord. Glorious are the Praises of the Lord of the Universe.

2. Meaning of "two paths"?

ਤੂ ਸਚਾ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰੁ ਅਲਖ ਸਿਰੰਦਿਆ ਜੀਉ
तू सचा सिरजणहारु अलख सिरंदिआ जीउ ॥
Ŧū sacẖā sirjaṇhār alakẖ siranḏi▫ā jī▫o.
You are the True Creator Lord, the unknowable Maker.

ਏਕੁ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਵਾਦ ਵਧੰਦਿਆ ਜੀਉ
एकु साहिबु दुइ राह वाद वधंदिआ जीउ ॥
Ėk sāhib ḏu▫e rāh vāḏ vaḏẖanḏi▫ā jī▫o.
There is only the One Lord and Master, but there are two paths, by which conflict increases.

ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹ ਚਲਾਏ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਬਾਏ ਜਨਮਿ ਮੁਆ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ
दुइ राह चलाए हुकमि सबाए जनमि मुआ संसारा ॥
Ḏu▫e rāh cẖalā▫e hukam sabā▫e janam mu▫ā sansārā.
All follow these two paths, by the Hukam of the Lord's Command; the world is born, only to die.

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋ ਬੇਲੀ ਬਿਖੁ ਲਾਦੀ ਸਿਰਿ ਭਾਰਾ
नाम बिना नाही को बेली बिखु लादी सिरि भारा ॥
Nām binā nāhī ko belī bikẖ lāḏī sir bẖārā.
Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the mortal has no friend at all; he carries loads of sin on his head.

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਆਇਆ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਬੂਝੈ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਵਾਰਣਹਾਰਾ
हुकमी आइआ हुकमु न बूझै हुकमि सवारणहारा ॥
Hukmī ā▫i▫ā hukam na būjẖai hukam savāraṇhārā.
By the Hukam of the Lord's Command, he comes, but he does not understand this Hukam; the Lord's Hukam is the Embellisher.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਿਞਾਪੈ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰਾ ॥੩॥
नानक साहिबु सबदि सिञापै साचा सिरजणहारा ॥३॥
Nānak sāhib sabaḏ siñāpai sācẖā sirjaṇhārā. ||3||
O Nanak, through the Shabad, the Word of the Lord and Master, the True Creator Lord is realized. ||3||

As these Shabads are in the sestet-6 line poetry- form, one has to read the whole 6 verses to grasp the meaning. Here, Two Paths mean Birth and Death in this lifespan. All conflicts begin and end here.

3. Naam being a gift / Not all receive it?

Naam comes 2542 times in the SGGS. Let me put it this way. Naam is like learning to dance in the rain. Not all learn that bliss. The English translations are very distorted hence it becomes difficult to grasp what you understood without knowing the original through the translations but it is a great exercise to correct the translations too.
Sri Granth: Search Results

4. Meaning of "Embellisher"? Once again it is not the right translation. The fact of the matter is that our birth and death are not in our hands but some claim to defy this Hukum.

5. Proselytization
As far as proselytization is concerned, Sikhi does not do it because Sikhi is not a religion/faith as religions are described. But more importantly, as Sikhi is an idea based not a deity based, then the sales pitch of 'my Jesus is better than yours' becomes irrelevant and unnecessary.
In my personal opinion, people tend to convert others because they feel insecure in their own respective faiths. Sikhi gives space to people to come and embrace the idea if interested not impose it onto others which proselytization is all about. Sikhi is an internal manifestation whereas conversion is an external imposition.
When the earthquake shook Nepal, my friend Ravi Singh from Khalsa Aid went there and as I am part of the charity, we are still there as we are in Haiti, in Northern Iraq, Syria, Mali, Bangladesh and anywhere where humanity needs us. Many Christians were there as well but with the Bibles, whereas we are giving Korans to the Rohingya Muslims.
Youtube has some interesting videos about it.
Thanks again for the thoughtful questions.

I do not know whether you are on FB or not. If you are please check the following thread for the translation. I am under Teji Malik.
Gurbani Gems

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM