• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Leisure Turban Tying

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I am only posting two pics for the purpose of opinions on if I am finally getting the hang of this... I can't seem to make a V no matter how hard I try... It starts out as one, but ends up with the point more towards one side than the other, or one side of the V is looser than the other... so plain old gol easter seems easiest... This attempt started out with a V believe it or not... but it disappeared as I got towards the end :( but do I at least have the basics down??

I have not practiced in awhile because I had wrist surgery and I could not manipulate my hand normally... even now I don't have 100% range of motion...

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Bravo Akasha Ji....the keski has a nice shape and contour. If you are aiming towards a V-shape that is fine, but I don't think that is necessary, a truncated V (a V obliterated by a fold on the vertex) or even the present one will do good. Moreover, down the line you'll improve on the intricacies.

And praying for your health. :motherlylove:

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Myself above I was using mul mul about 6M total... It seems light enough that it's easy to form fit as you make the turns... I just have trouble with making a V... And I think it would look good with a V.... :(

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
akasha ij

Just keep looking for the right UTube video and there will be one that makes you say - Ah Hah. There is one I saw long ago

I think most vids of women don't teach the V turn. It would need to be a male oriented video.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Is that because the V style is considered to be a "male" style and the rounder ones more "female"? (although I've seen plenty of women with V style and plenty of men with round style...)

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Oh I forgot to mention, I kind of came up with a way that was easier for me to work with the material... at least for now. Though it was a 6M piece of cloth, I cut it into 3 widths of 6M length each. I used one for keskie and one for the turban over it. So in reality, I am using only 4M worth of cloth as I didn't use the centre piece when I cut it into 3.

I tried cutting into 2 widths before as is normally done for dumalla style... but I found that since I have a small head, the turns where I had to go over top, there was WAY too much material at the back to deal with... So I needed thinner pieces for my smaller head, hence using 1/3 width instead of the usual 1/2 width.... if any of that make sense haha

So I am using the same amount of material that normally would be included in 4M of turban material. Just that mine is cut in longer thinner strips.

Style I used is basically the same as dumalla at least how I started... kind of a cross between gol dastar and dumalla style. I did start with a bunga since my hair is very thick and falls out of a joora easily, I use the material to make a bunga and keep it snug (it also gives a bit more volume on top to work with though I didn't go tall with it) So the pics above are a combo of two different styles and with the width of the material altered to fit my head better....

I am sure I won't have to do that as I get better though.... I am just amazed I could get something on there that didn't fall off from being too loose and at least the general style 'looks' like a turban lol In fact I *think* it looked ok enough to actually go in public with....maybe....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM