• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Turban Day Suggestions?

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
I wasn't sure where to post this exactly, as it's not really a question 'about' Sikhi... so I truly appologize wholeheartedly to the admins if I put it in the wrong place... last thing I want is to be in trouble again.

I am helping to organize a Turban Day here locally... and was just wondering if anyone has assisted with an event like this before? Obviously we want to make this as successful as possible and to spread awareness.

Some things to consider: It is a fairly small community here so we can't obtain locally any supplies like turban material.

Here is what we have so far:

1. We have contacted various organizations for help with suppies. WSO Canada came through as the most able to help us, and have agreed to help with turban material, small nishan sahibs, and possibly pamphlets with information about Sikhi.

2. We have applied for the 'community booth' at the local shopping mall. Unfortunately we could not get a weekend day... so settled with a Friday.

3. We have to obtain 'event liability insurance' for $2,000,000 - hopefully this won't be difficult to obtain for the one day. Apparently every group that uses the community booth must have this - even school groups who are just fundraising.

4. We are going to print off some signs on our own for the booth etc.

5. Only two people can work at the booth at once... so I am thinking shifts of two people (one handing out info and one tying turbans), since we have about 6-8 volunteers willing to help.

6. (edit) I forgot to mention this is not being organized by the Gurdwara (though they would likley be more than willing to help if we asked them) it's being organized by the sikh students association at the local University. I think they mostly want to do this at the student level, and not have to ask the Gurdwara to help...

Basically we want to just get the word out who Sikhs are, who they aren't, have some fun tying turbans on the public. Is there anything that we missed? Can you think of anything else that would be of benefit? I have helped organize events before, but none quite like this.

Again appologies in advance if this is in the wrong section or is against the rules to ask about. I have not been posting in the last while because I am a bit worried about making a mistake, but I really want to make this event as successful as possible.

Last edited:

Rory

SPNer
Jul 1, 2012
Ireland
Really good! Loved that video Kanwaljit-ji, everyone looks so happy :)
Not sure what ideas I have for you Akashaji but I'm sure it'd be a good idea to hire a photographer/cameraman if you can. I wish there was something like a Turban Day in Ireland, unfortunately there's such a tiny Sikh population here that I have never even met one.

Good luck!

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Get an article in the local paper - it can be a news item under interfaith or community relations. Try and get some interviews on the local radio station too. This will get the word out. What about food at the stall? It doesn't have to be full langar, perhaps even just some sweets to attract people to come closer. Have a 3rd volunteer away from the stall, handing out leaflets about Sikhs and directing them to the stall.

Good luck! :kaurkhalsaflagred:

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions...

Ths issue right now is, the community booth they have at the mall, only two people are allowed to be at one time. I am now trying the other larger mall here to see if we can get one of the main areas of the mall instead of the community booth. (That booth is big enough for 2 people to stand at, and is mostly used for groups selling raffle tickets etc) We need a larger area. I know that the bigger mall had given another organization I volunteer with (St John Ambulance) a larger area below the escalators so we could do deomonstrations soI will try to get that same spot for the Sikh Student Association.

Sweets are definitely a good idea... and we are looking at having some! Though a full lanager for the afternoon we are there would REALLY attract people! Just wish we could afford that but I don't think we can.

If anyone has any other suggestions I may have missed, pls chime in!

Get an article in the local paper - it can be a news item under interfaith or community relations. Try and get some interviews on the local radio station too. This will get the word out. What about food at the stall? It doesn't have to be full langar, perhaps even just some sweets to attract people to come closer. Have a 3rd volunteer away from the stall, handing out leaflets about Sikhs and directing them to the stall.

Good luck! :kaurkhalsaflagred:

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Just came to my mind and sharing it...

Please take due care of turbans, those shouldn't be stomped under feet, or thrown here and there, or even get used as towels etc. The point is to maintain the sanctity of the crown :)

Overall, great initiative ji... Very proud of you. All the Best for this wonderful event :animatedkhanda1:

With Regards, Arvind.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM