• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pacific Tsu Koon Wants Win-win Solution Over ‘Allah’

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Tsu Koon wants win-win solution over ‘Allah’

Tsu Koon wants win-win solution over ?Allah?

By Adib Zalkapli KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 6 — Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon today supported the use of the word “Allah” by Christians but said the Muslims’ concern over the abuse must also be addressed.

“I understand that the Christian Bumiputeras in Sabah and Sarawak have been using the term ‘Allah’ to refer to God even before independence and so have the Sikh community in their holy book. Hence, it is not a recent phenomenon or even an intentional attempt to confuse or convert Muslims,” said Koh (picture) in a statement today.

He is the second member of the Cabinet to back the use of Allah by Christians. Yesterday Plantations Industry and Commodities Minister Tan Sri Bernard Dompok said the use of the word “Allah” to refer to God is caused by the widespread usage of the Malay language among the younger generation.

“To bar them from using the term ‘Allah’ will be tantamount to restricting their religious practice and use of languages, as the term has become part of their own languages and in Bahasa Malaysia,” said Koh.

The Gerakan president added that despite the prohibition to convert

Muslims, the community’s concern that the Christians’ use of the word “Allah” would confuse Muslims must also be addressed.

“Therefore, in the spirit of 1 Malaysia, both sides must try to understand and empathise with the concerns and fears of each other and be as inclusive as possible in seeking a solution, said Koh.

Last Thursday, the Kuala Lumpur High Court ruled that the Catholic weekly Herald has a constitutional right to use the term.

The Home Affairs Ministry, which is a respondent in the case, filed an appeal at the Court of Appeal on Monday. It also filed an application for a stay of execution.

The Herald, which is printed in four languages, has been using the word “Allah” as a translation for God in its Malay-language section.
Several Muslim groups are planning a nationwide protest this Friday to express their unhappiness over the court’s decision.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I have posted this article, but must confess that I am confused by it. Although not a typical practice, Allah has been used as a name for God in many Christian communities in the Middle East where there are Muslim majorities. The word "Allah" for God actually predates the birth of Islam. It stretches back into ancient Arabic culture and language. Comments and explanations?

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
The Malays might belong to Islam - that is entirely a matter of choice.
But Islam does not belong to the Malays alone.

Islam might belong to Allah - entirely their choice.
But Allah does not belong to Muslims alone.

Just as the banis of Sheikh Fareed and Kabir do not belong to the Sikhs alone.
Enough said on faith, now I want to be left alone.

But Allah refuses to accept my request.
For without me, Allah would not exist, points to ponder when you're alone.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Like I said before the "ALLAH" in SGGS...the ALLAH of Guru Sahibs, Sheikh Farid Ji, Kabir Ji Bhikhan Sha Ji, Pir Ji of Sadhaura etc etc etc is the ONE OMNIPRESENT, ONE OMNIPOWERFUL, the ONE AJOONEE, the ONE UNBORN, SELF CREATED, SELF SUSTAINED, WHO NEVER COMES in the WOMB (Virgin or otherwise)...and This CONCEPT of ALLAH is what the Muslims also beleive IN. Thus there is absolutely NO CONFLICT between the Concept of ALLAH the Mulsims hold and the SGGS holds for SIKHS. NO MUSLIM can have an issue with the SGGS..when it declares AWAL ALLAH NOOR UPAYEH...thats is exactly what they too hold on to....

BUT when someone comes along and says...ALLAH..is the "Father" of a "SON" (also Allah) who was BORN via a Virgin Womb..who died on the Cross and was buried...etc etc..the ALL that is held in Para ONE ABOVE goes OUT the WINDOW. The CONCEPT is entirely different...

THAT is the Bottom Line of the conflict in Malaysia.....and since the side that holds the political power in malaysia has the power to decide....thats what wiill happen. SIKHS and the SGGS has nothing:happy: to FEAR.:happy:

max314

SPNer
May 28, 2006
“I understand that the Christian Bumiputeras in Sabah and Sarawak have been using the term ‘Allah’ to refer to God even before independence and so have the Sikh community in their holy book. Hence, it is not a recent phenomenon or even an intentional attempt to confuse or convert Muslims,” said Koh (picture) in a statement today.

People need to learn to chill the heck out.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM