• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

True Guru Is Found By Great Good Fortune

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
There is no difference between Guru, Waheguru, Ultimate Truth, God, Bani, Naam, Gobind .. Different terms used for same ONE- our Lord, God. So Guru is present everywhere, within all of us.

'Finding a True Guru', what does it mean?
Doesn't it tell us that we have to become a true disciple:}{}{}:. Kar Kar Karna Likh Le Jah Aapey Beej aapey Hee Khah. Actions repeated over and over again, like ardaas, devotional worship, surrender :wah:. Seeding!!!!!!!!!

Just like Durlabh human form is found with Good Fortune.
Through perfect Good Fortune a True Guru is found.

In the following Shabad Guru Ji tells us:

English Translation:
Bilaaval, Fifth Mehl:
He places the one who strays back on the Path;
such a Guru is found by great good fortune. ||1||
Meditate, contemplate the Name of the Lord, O mind.
The Beloved Feet of the Guru abide within my heart. ||1||Pause||
The mind is engrossed in sexual desire, anger, greed and emotional attachment.
Breaking my bonds, the Guru has liberated me. ||2||
Experiencing pain and pleasure, one is born, only to die again.
The Lotus Feet of the Guru bring peace and shelter. ||3||
The world is drowning in the ocean of fire.
O Nanak, holding me by the arm, the True Guru has saved me. ||4||3||8||
source: SikhiToTheMax

Guru Shabad:
iblwvlu mhlw 5 ]
BUly mwrgu ijnih bqwieAw ]
AYsw guru vfBwgI pwieAw ]1]
ismir mnw rwm nwmu icqwry ]
bis rhy ihrdY gur crn ipAwry ]1] rhwau ]
kwim k®oiD loiB moih mnu lInw ]
bMDn kwit mukiq guir kInw ]2]
duK suK krq jnim Puin mUAw ]
crn kml guir AwsRmu dIAw ]3]
Agin swgr bUfq sMswrw ]
nwnk bwh pkir siqguir insqwrw ]4]3]8]

ikriq krm ky vICuVy kir ikrpw mylhu rwm ]

By the actions we have committed, we are separated from You. Please show Your Mercy, and unite us with Yourself, Lord.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
In Today's Hukamnaama-(Feb,21-2008)

Guru Ji is telling us this prayer:

suix bynMqI suAwmI Apuny nwnku iehu suKu mwgY ]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]sun baynantee su-aamee apunay naanak ih sukh maagai.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial][FONT=Georgia, Tahoma, Arial]Hear my prayer, O Lord and Master; Nanak begs for this happiness: [/FONT][/FONT]
jh kIrqnu qyrw swDU gwvih qh myrw mnu lwgY ]4]6]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]jah keertan tayraa saaDhoo gaavahi tah mayraa man laagai. ||4||6|| [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, Tahoma, Arial]whereever Your Holy Saints sing the Kirtan of Your Praises, let my mind be attached to that place. ||4||6||[/FONT]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਸਭੁ ਤਿਸ ਦਾ ਤਿਸੈ ਦਾ ਆਧਾਰੁ ॥
jeeo pindd sabh this dhaa thisai dhaa aadhhaar ||
Body and soul all belong to Him; He is the Support of all.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਬੁਝੀਐ ਤਾ ਪਾਏ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥
gur parasaadhee bujheeai thaa paaeae mokh dhuaar ||
By Guru's Grace, understanding comes, and then the Door of Liberation is found.

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਲਾਹਿ ਤੂੰ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਰਾਵਾਰੁ ॥੪॥੨੪॥੫੭॥
naanak naam salaahi thoon anth n paaraavaar ||4||24||57||
O Nanak, sing the Praises of the Naam, the Name of the Lord; He has no end or limitation. ||4||24||57||

Apr 4, 2007
"great good fortune"

i see this phrase a lot in english translations of gurbani. and i've often wondered at the accuracy of it.

the usual word i see translated is
"vadbẖāg" or "vadai bẖāg". though sometimes the word translated is less clear for me to decipher.

"vadbẖāg" seems to mean "blessed", "prosperous", "fortunate", according to online dictionaries.

i've been curious because "great good fortune" always sounded like "luck" to me, and that doesn't seem terribly inline with sikh philosophy.

but "blessed" seems to work better (in my mind). does it make more sense if we use
"vadbẖāg" in the sense of being blessed by god's grace?

sorry for the rambling, this is just a phrase that's been going through my head for a while... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>i've been curious because "great good fortune" always sounded like "luck" to me, and that doesn't seem terribly inline with sikh philosophy.but "blessed" seems to work better (in my mind). does it make more sense if we use "vadbẖāg" in the sense of being blessed by god's grace>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>'

Vaadbhaag' is made of two Punjabi words.
1.Vad/Vadda and
2. Bahhg.

The former means big/elder or words connoting something similar and 'Bhaag' would means 'Fortune'. Thus one can make out the literal meaning of the term "vadbhaag'.

However, the meaning in the context would be as follows with slight change in color and complexion.
Vadbhaag
1.Very Fortunate
Those who are very fortunate would be so 'blessed' or not is not stated. In any case Vadbhaag should not include something related to 'luck'.

This term is inferior to the Fortune.

I shall tend use the interpretation to relate to 'very fortunate' and to some extent 'blessed' as well. Both should work well but 'very fortunate' is simple to use and understand.

Hope it clarifies and answers your doubts.

Sardara123

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008

Blessed, blessed are those very fortunate ones, O Nanak, who are united with the Lord through the True Guru.

DMnu DMnu vfBwgI nwnkw ijnw siqguru ley imlwie ]

Guru Ji tells us that Naam Jewel is with the Perfect Guru, and only the most fortunate ones get to meet the True Guru. :)

English Translation:
Siree Raag, Fourth Mehl:
Receiving the Naam, the mind is satisfied; without the Naam, life is cursed.
If I meet the Gurmukh, my Spiritual Friend, he will show me God, the Treasure of Excellence.
I am every bit a sacrifice to one who reveals to me the Naam. ||1||
O my Beloved, I live by meditating on Your Name.
Without Your Name, my life does not even exist. My True Guru has implanted the Naam within me. ||1||Pause||
The Naam is a Priceless Jewel; it is with the Perfect True Guru.
When one is enjoined to serve the True Guru, He brings out this Jewel and bestows this enlightenment.
Blessed, and most fortunate of the very fortunate, are those who come to meet the Guru. ||2||
Those who have not met the Primal Being, the True Guru, are most unfortunate, and are subject to death.
They wander in reincarnation over and over again, as the most disgusting maggots in manure.
Do not meet with, or even approach those people, whose hearts are filled with horrible anger. ||3||
The True Guru, the Primal Being, is the Pool of Ambrosial Nectar. The very fortunate ones come to bathe in it.
The filth of many incarnations is washed away, and the Immaculate Naam is implanted within.
Servant Nanak has obtained the most exalted state, lovingly attuned to the True Guru. ||4||2||66||

Guru Shabad:
isrIrwgu mhlw 4 ]
nwmu imlY mnu iqRpqIAY ibnu nwmY iDRgu jIvwsu ]
koeI gurmuiK sjxu jy imlY mY dsy pRBu guxqwsu ]
hau iqsu ivthu cau KMnIAY mY nwm kry prgwsu ]1]
myry pRIqmw hau jIvw nwmu iDAwie ]
ibnu nwvY jIvxu nw QIAY myry siqgur nwmu idRVwie ]1] rhwau ]
nwmu Amolku rqnu hY pUry siqgur pwis ]
siqgur syvY ligAw kiF rqnu dyvY prgwis ]
DMnu vfBwgI vf BwgIAw jo Awie imly gur pwis ]2]
ijnw siqguru purKu n ByitE sy BwghIx vis kwl ]
Eie iPir iPir join BvweIAih ivic ivstw kir ivkrwl ]
Enw pwis duAwis n iBtIAY ijn AMqir k®oDu cMfwl ]3]
siqguru purKu AMimRq sru vfBwgI nwvih Awie ]
aun jnm jnm kI mYlu auqrY inrml nwmu idRVwie ]
jn nwnk auqm pdu pwieAw siqgur kI ilv lwie ]4]2]66]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Through perfect good destiny (poorai bhaag), one finds the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, and one comes to meet the True Guru.

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥

sireeraag mehalaa 3 ||
Siree Raag, Third Mehl:

ਜੇ ਵੇਲਾ ਵਖਤੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੀਐ ਤਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥
jae vaelaa vakhath veechaareeai thaa kith vaelaa bhagath hoe ||
Consider the time and the moment-when should we worship the Lord?

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੇ ਰਤਿਆ ਸਚੇ ਸਚੀ ਸੋਇ ॥

anadhin naamae rathiaa sachae sachee soe ||
Night and day, one who is attuned to the Name of the True Lord is true.

ਇਕੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਿਨੇਹੀ ਹੋਇ ॥
eik thil piaaraa visarai bhagath kinaehee hoe ||
If someone forgets the Beloved Lord, even for an instant, what sort of devotion is that?

ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਸਾਚ ਸਿਉ ਸਾਸੁ ਨ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਕੋਇ ॥੧॥
man than seethal saach sio saas n birathhaa koe ||1||
One whose mind and body are cooled and soothed by the True Lord-no breath of his is wasted. ||1||

ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇ ॥
maerae man har kaa naam dhhiaae ||
O my mind, meditate on the Name of the Lord.

ਸਾਚੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਤਾ ਥੀਐ ਜਾ ਹਰਿ ਵਸੈ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

saachee bhagath thaa thheeai jaa har vasai man aae ||1|| rehaao ||
True devotional worship is performed when the Lord comes to dwell in the mind. ||1||Pause||

ਸਹਜੇ ਖੇਤੀ ਰਾਹੀਐ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਬੀਜੁ ਪਾਇ ॥
sehajae khaethee raaheeai sach naam beej paae ||
With intuitive ease, cultivate your farm, and plant the Seed of the True Name.

ਖੇਤੀ ਜੰਮੀ ਅਗਲੀ ਮਨੂਆ ਰਜਾ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥
khaethee janmee agalee manooaa rajaa sehaj subhaae ||
The seedlings have sprouted luxuriantly, and with intuitive ease, the mind is satisfied.

ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਤਿਖ ਜਾਇ ॥
gur kaa sabadh anmrith hai jith peethai thikh jaae ||
The Word of the Guru's Shabad is Ambrosial Nectar; drinking it in, thirst is quenched.

ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਚਿ ਰਤਾ ਸਚੇ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੨॥

eihu man saachaa sach rathaa sachae rehiaa samaae ||2||
This true mind is attuned to Truth, and it remains permeated with the True One. ||2||

ਆਖਣੁ ਵੇਖਣੁ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਸਬਦੇ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ ॥
aakhan vaekhan bolanaa sabadhae rehiaa samaae ||
In speaking, in seeing and in words, remain immersed in the Shabad.

ਬਾਣੀ ਵਜੀ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗੀ ਸਚੋ ਸਚੁ ਸੁਣਾਇ ॥
baanee vajee chahu jugee sacho sach sunaae ||
The Word of the Guru's Bani vibrates throughout the four ages. As Truth, it teaches Truth.

ਹਉਮੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਰਹਿ ਗਇਆ ਸਚੈ ਲਇਆ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥
houmai maeraa rehi gaeiaa sachai laeiaa milaae ||
Egotism and possessiveness are eliminated, and the True One absorbs them into Himself.

ਤਿਨ ਕਉ ਮਹਲੁ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਸਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥੩॥
thin ko mehal hadhoor hai jo sach rehae liv laae ||3||
Those who remain lovingly absorbed in the True One see the Mansion of His Presence close at hand. ||3||

ਨਦਰੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਵਿਣੁ ਕਰਮਾ ਪਾਇਆ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
nadharee naam dhhiaaeeai vin karamaa paaeiaa n jaae ||
By His Grace, we meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord. Without His Mercy, it cannot be obtained.

ਪੂਰੈ ਭਾਗਿ ਸਤਸੰਗਤਿ ਲਹੈ ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਭੇਟੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਆਇ ॥
poorai bhaag sathasangath lehai sathagur bhaettai jis aae ||
Through perfect good destiny, one finds the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, and one comes to meet the True Guru.

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੇ ਰਤਿਆ ਦੁਖੁ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਜਾਇ ॥
anadhin naamae rathiaa dhukh bikhiaa vichahu jaae ||
Night and day, remain attuned to the Naam, and the pain of corruption shall be dispelled from within.
ਨਾਨਕ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਿਲਾਵੜਾ ਨਾਮੇ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੪॥੨੨॥੫੫॥
naanak sabadh milaavarraa naamae naam samaae ||4||22||55||
O Nanak, merging with the Shabad through the Name, one is immersed in the Name. ||4||22||55||

Sriraag
Guru Naanak Dev
Ang 35

kiram

SPNer
Jan 26, 2008

Blessed, blessed are those very fortunate ones, O Nanak, who are united with the Lord through the True Guru.

DMnu DMnu vfBwgI nwnkw ijnw siqguru ley imlwie ]

Guru Ji tells us that Naam Jewel is with the Perfect Guru, and only the most fortunate ones get to meet the True Guru. :)

English Translation:
Siree Raag, Fourth Mehl:
Receiving the Naam, the mind is satisfied; without the Naam, life is cursed.
If I meet the Gurmukh, my Spiritual Friend, he will show me God, the Treasure of Excellence.
I am every bit a sacrifice to one who reveals to me the Naam. ||1||
O my Beloved, I live by meditating on Your Name.
Without Your Name, my life does not even exist. My True Guru has implanted the Naam within me. ||1||Pause||
The Naam is a Priceless Jewel; it is with the Perfect True Guru.
When one is enjoined to serve the True Guru, He brings out this Jewel and bestows this enlightenment.
Blessed, and most fortunate of the very fortunate, are those who come to meet the Guru. ||2||
Those who have not met the Primal Being, the True Guru, are most unfortunate, and are subject to death.
They wander in reincarnation over and over again, as the most disgusting maggots in manure.
Do not meet with, or even approach those people, whose hearts are filled with horrible anger. ||3||
The True Guru, the Primal Being, is the Pool of Ambrosial Nectar. The very fortunate ones come to bathe in it.
The filth of many incarnations is washed away, and the Immaculate Naam is implanted within.
Servant Nanak has obtained the most exalted state, lovingly attuned to the True Guru. ||4||2||66||

Guru Shabad:
isrIrwgu mhlw 4 ]
nwmu imlY mnu iqRpqIAY ibnu nwmY iDRgu jIvwsu ]
koeI gurmuiK sjxu jy imlY mY dsy pRBu guxqwsu ]
hau iqsu ivthu cau KMnIAY mY nwm kry prgwsu ]1]
myry pRIqmw hau jIvw nwmu iDAwie ]
ibnu nwvY jIvxu nw QIAY myry siqgur nwmu idRVwie ]1] rhwau ]
nwmu Amolku rqnu hY pUry siqgur pwis ]
siqgur syvY ligAw kiF rqnu dyvY prgwis ]
DMnu vfBwgI vf BwgIAw jo Awie imly gur pwis ]2]
ijnw siqguru purKu n ByitE sy BwghIx vis kwl ]
Eie iPir iPir join BvweIAih ivic ivstw kir ivkrwl ]
Enw pwis duAwis n iBtIAY ijn AMqir k®oDu cMfwl ]3]
siqguru purKu AMimRq sru vfBwgI nwvih Awie ]
aun jnm jnm kI mYlu auqrY inrml nwmu idRVwie ]
jn nwnk auqm pdu pwieAw siqgur kI ilv lwie ]4]2]66]

Which Shabad is this? Please post this Shabad as well as the one on the 1st post of this thread in gurmukhi too ji, along with the Ang Sahib..

Thank you..
:wah:

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
Here you go;

ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਮਨੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤੀਐ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਮੈ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਜੀਵਾਸੁ ॥ ਕੋਈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਜਣੁ ਜੇ ਮਿਲੈ ਮੈ ਦਸੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਗੁਣਤਾਸੁ ॥ ਹਉ ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਚਉ ਖੰਨੀਐ ਮੈ ਨਾਮ ਕਰੇ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ॥ ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮਾ ਹਉ ਜੀਵਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਜੀਵਣੁ ਨਾ ਥੀਐ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇ ॥ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਮੋਲਕੁ ਰਤਨੁ ਹੈ ਪੂਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪਾਸਿ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਵੈ ਲਗਿਆ ਕਢਿ ਰਤਨੁ ਦੇਵੈ ਪਰਗਾਸਿ ॥ ਧੰਨੁ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਵਡ ਭਾਗੀਆ ਜੋ ਆਇ ਮਿਲੇ ਗੁਰ ਪਾਸਿ ॥ ਜਿਨਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਸੇ ਭਾਗਹੀਣ ਵਸਿ ਕਾਲ ॥ ਓਇ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਜੋਨਿ ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਵਿਸਟਾ ਕਰਿ ਵਿਕਰਾਲ ॥ ਓਨਾ ਪਾਸਿ ਦੁਆਸਿ ਨ ਭਿਟੀਐ ਜਿਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਚੰਡਾਲ ॥ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਨਾਵਹਿ ਆਇ ॥ ਉਨ ਜਨਮ ਜਨਮ ਕੀ ਮੈਲੁ ਉਤਰੈ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਨਾਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜਾਇ॥ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਉਤਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥

Nām milai man ṯaripaṯ▫ī▫ai bin nāmai ḏẖarig jīvās. Ko▫ī gurmukẖ sajaṇ je milai mai ḏase parabẖ guṇṯās. Ha▫o ṯis vitahu cẖa▫o kẖannī▫ai mai nām kare pargās. Mere parīṯamā ha▫o jīvā nām ḏẖi▫ā▫e. Bin nāvai jīvaṇ nā thī▫ai mere saṯgur nām driṛ▫ā▫e. Nām amolak raṯan hai pūre saṯgur pās. Saṯgur sevai lagi▫ā kadẖ raṯan ḏevai pargās. Ḏẖan vadbẖāgī vad bẖāgī▫ā jo ā▫e mile gur pās. Jinā saṯgur purakẖ na bẖeti▫o se bẖāghīṇ vas kāl. O▫e fir fir jon bẖavā▫ī▫ah vicẖ vistā kar vikrāl. O▫e fir fir jon bẖavā▫ī▫ah vicẖ vistā kar vikrāl. Onā pās ḏu▫ās na bẖitī▫ai jin anṯar kroḏẖ cẖandāl. Saṯgur purakẖ amriṯ sar vadbẖāgī nāvėh ā▫e. Un janam janam kī mail uṯrai nirmal nām driṛ▫ā▫e. Jan Nānak uṯam paḏ pā▫i▫ā saṯgur kī liv lā▫e.

Receiving the Naam, the mind is satisfied; without the Naam, life is cursed. If I meet the Guru willed, my Spiritual Friend, he will show me God, the Treasure of Excellence. I am every bit a sacrifice to one who reveals to me the Naam. O my Beloved, I live by meditating on Your Name. Without Your Name, my life does not even exist. My True Guru has implanted the Naam within me. The Naam is a Priceless Jewel; it is with the Perfect True Guru. When one is enjoined to serve the True Guru, He brings out this Jewel and bestows this enlightenment. Blessed, and most fortunate of the very fortunate, are those who come to meet the Guru. Those who have not met the Primal Being, the True Guru, are most unfortunate, and are subject to death. They wander in reincarnation over and over again, as the most disgusting maggots in manure. Do not meet with, or even approach those people, whose hearts are filled with horrible anger. The True Guru, the Primal Being, is the Pool of Ambrosial Nectar. The very fortunate ones come to bathe in it. The filth of many incarnations is washed away, and the Immaculate Naam is implanted within.
Servant Nanak has obtained the most exalted state, lovingly attuned to the True Guru. ------Guru Ramdas, Siri Raag, AGGS, Page, 40

Cordially,

Virinder S. Grewal
Williamston, MI

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: